• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018

Horizon Zero Dawn released 2 years ago on the 28th February 2017. Guerrilla's new IP became a hit and was nominated for a variety of awards that year, winning GOTY on a number of different outlets and also winning Outstanding Achievement in Story and Technical Design at the 2018 D.I.C.E Awards. As my favourite game, and having seen no thread made, I thought I would make the thread myself.

FAt1ERR.gif

8Peoco1.gif

What has happened with the IP in the span of 2 years? Guerrilla initially released the game and began working on a big update, that which enhanced photo mode and also added a New Game+ feature, for free. Both these features gave rise to a massive amount of virtual photography contests online, and also saw many quickly beginning their new playthroughs after enjoying the initial one so much. Later into the year, Guerrilla announced an expansion to Horizon Zero Dawn, titled 'The Frozen Wilds'.

The Frozen Wilds was released 7th November 2018 and was an expansion taking place in the Cut, a newly added area to which the Banuk tribes are settled and spread across the land. A new threat from the AI, Hephaestus, plagues across the Cut and Aloy continues on a mission to discover more and encounter new machines, those far more dangerous than anything in the base game. The Frozen Wilds as an expansion also added improvements to many of the base games weaker areas. The expansion pass improved cutscene direction and animation, added harder machines and applied full snow deformation technology.
6a7UxXT.gif

VVIKD1P.gif

I think (or at least hope) we can expect Guerrilla to post something relating to the anniversary later today, if nothing but a nice remembrance to Horizon Zero Dawn. I will continue to update the thread throughout the day. :)
2nd Anniversary GIFs: https://imgur.com/a/mNfFueL

Guerrilla Team Responses:

Last edited:

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Great ideas and great ranged combat, but Melee tracking from both Alloy and enemies ruined short range encounters enough for me to stop before completing the main game, easily the worst melee combat in any game I played this gen.

Fix that in the next game along with no or way less human enemies and I'd be there day 1.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
such a great game, and easily one of the best looking games of the generation.
i hope sony will give some sales update later today like they did last year.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
What a game! One of my new favorite IPs of the gen. Can't wait for the sequel. Also what a surprise for me personally coming from these devs. I really didn't care for Killzone so I'm glad GG are making these games now

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
A year and 10 months ago I played one of the most amazing looking boring games in my life, I even accidently platted it.

If there is a 2 it needs to have vastly improved human combat, sidequests, conversation animations, voice direction and char writing.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
That is good. When you think about it, it means that the sequel has been in development for over two years.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Beginning of 2017 on PS4 was awesome with its exclusives

Horizon was great, Guerrilla became top tier devs after this

Thanks to the success, they expand to at least 400 full-time employees

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Still the best (and best-looking) PS4 exclusive. Recently replayed The Frozen Wilds and damn if this game doesn't hold up from top to bottom. Can't wait to see what they do with the next entry.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a great game. Beautiful, atmospheric world. Machines are incredible and the lore is amazing.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Game wasn't for me in the end, but it was such a departure for the studio that deserves nothing but praise.

But please fix the faces for part 2.

OP
OP
Much

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
If anyone is interested on the process of making Horizon Zero Dawn, check out this documentary:

Butterworth

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
It's a solid first go for GG. Enjoyed the lore a tonne, and the gameplay was solid.

Plenty to improve upon though, so I look forward to a sequel.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
1 more year until the sequel or at least announcement of the sequel. So excited. I wonder if it's gonna be mostly the same just in bigger world and new enemies, or they will change a lot more to the formula. Like complete rehaul for melee combat and weapons etc.

There's so many thing I want that is probably not really realistic to expect GG do in the sequel.

Like I want more build diversity that you can't simply unlock all ability by endgame. Let me focus on Hacking tree and able to command multiple robots while mounting my Thunderjaw in epic battle.

Also air combat by mounting one of the flying robot. So much stuff they could do, but honestly, I'm okay with just more of the same, really

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
This game never gets old for me. Feels really good to play, graphics, sound and HDR are amazing and the story was very engaging.
With this foundation Guerrilla can only improve from here.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it, it was fantastic.

But I never finished it (I got fairly close) and I never played Frozen Wilds. I have no idea why.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
One of my favorite games of all time.
Thank you Guerrilla!

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game and The Frozen Wilds just improved everything.

Best new IP this gen and I love the world they've built.

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutly loved everything. A game that is a game gameplay wise not a cinematic movie.

I just want the world to be more alive and dynamic in the next game. Did not enjoy the fact that almost everything is attacking you on the road with random spawning.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
By the time the second part rolls out, hopefully they will improve the open world formula.
Besides having those robo-dino enemies, I felt I was playing the same AC-checklist open-world formula I've played so many times before.
The graphics were neat tho.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
The best thing about this game is that it actually delivered on story. They gave satisfying answers to all of our questions about the past, and there is enough mystery left for future adventures.

Can't wait for the nextgen sequel!

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Still very impressive what Guerrilla Games managed to accomplish with Horizon's open world, given how dramatically different the game is from their previous work in the Killzone series. Some areas still need work like the human AI and perhaps the climbing, but I think it has a lot of potential for a really great sequel. I also wouldn't mind seeing them add further material to the story through a comic series or novel like they did with Killzone.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
Happy birthday :)

That is maybe my to go game this gen. Regulary a picture of the beautiful game jumps into my mind and I have the desire to play it again. For example just yesterday.

Can not wait for the sequel.

Oct 27, 2017
Wish I liked it more than I do. Competently made, with some pretty fantastic combat, but the boring mission and world design bring the game down. Didn't finish it.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best Sony first party game on the PS4 as of now. A masterpiece and my favorite open world game of this generation second only to BotW.