• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
wow just wow. That looks amazing.

OT: The game deserves all the sales and then some. ffs this is the first game like it from a dev who was making linear FPS games all this time. I have insanely high hopes for the sequel. Gonna be the showpiece game for the PS5 launch year I'm guessing
Yeah, can't wait to see what they do with PS5 for the sequel.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I know people are not too keen on the Zelda comparisons, but to highlight just how strong these sales are, HZD as a brand new IP, will have sold more than every single Zelda title bar BotW. It's actually also tracking close to BotW when you consider only Switch single platform sales. That is unbelievable. It's up there with one of the biggest ever green franchises of all time in sales, and it's a new IP.
Zelda isn't that big a franchise. BotW is the outlier

BotW also has 65 million or so less users to sell to

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Woah, Sony went from having a single 10 million exclusive series to like 5/6 in a generation, unreal

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zelda isn't that big a franchise. BotW is the outlier
what? the zelda franchise has sold more than these:

resident evil
tom clancy's
gran turismo
dragon quest
halo
tomb raider
battlefield
metal gear
monster hunter
smash bros
elder scrolls
street fighter
mortal kombat
kingdom hearts
tony hawk
god of war
counter strike
etc

are you telling me these aren't big franchises either?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing and well deserved, one of the select games I throughly enjoyed in the younger past.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
what? the zelda franchise has sold more than these:

resident evil
tom clancy's
gran turismo
dragon quest
halo
tomb raider
battlefield
metal gear
monster hunter
smash bros
elder scrolls
street fighter
mortal kombat
kingdom hearts
tony hawk
god of war
counter strike
etc

are you telling me these aren't big franchises either?

Some of those IP are not big at least by today level.
Plus Zelda has been around a long time but per game it was not a huge seller .

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats GG! Definitely my favorite game of this generation although GOW and BOTW are up there as well.

For the sequel:

-please let us ride robo Dinos and also incoporate some elements of Dragons Dogma/SotC (mounting big enemies to kill them).

- look at Asscreed Odyssey to see how they can better integrate ranged combat with melee.

-I would also like some metroidvania elements. For example you can't scale mountains until you kill a saberclaw and craft special claws that let you climb on trees and mountains.

-better crafting, let us craft weapons and stuff from the things we kill like giving us the ability to fly / glide with the wings of glinthawks

-give us towns to explore, sleep in beds and change time

-add some monster hunter co op opportunities

-give us hidden bosses

- more dungeons that force us to use special items (ala Zelda)

- more melee weapons

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ahhhh, I remember the concern trolling this game would suck because it was made by the same people that made Killzone: Shadowfall.

Now, two years and 10 million copies later, people are somehow "concerned" that the game maybe did not make money. Really?!

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Well deserved. I haven't been this hooked by a game's story and backstory in a long time. I love the world and history that they created.

Plays and looks great, too.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Congrats GG! Definitely my favorite game of this generation although GOW and BOTW are up there as well.

For the sequel:

-please let us ride robo Dinos and also incoporate some elements of Dragons Dogma/SotC (mounting big enemies to kill them).

- look at Asscreed Odyssey to see how they can better integrate ranged combat with melee.

-I would also like some metroidvania elements. For example you can't scale mountains until you kill a saberclaw and craft special claws that let you climb on trees and mountains.

-better crafting, let us craft weapons and stuff from the things we kill like giving us the ability to fly / glide with the wings of glinthawks

-give us towns to explore, sleep in beds and change time

-add some monster hunter co op opportunities

-give us hidden bosses

- more dungeons that force us to use special items (ala Zelda)

- more melee weapons
if there is a thing that they don't need to watch as an ispiration is ac combat onestly...the ranged is just okay and the melee is mediocre at best.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
My game of the year in 2017!!! Fucking slavating at the thought of a next gen Horizon Game....

tenor.gif

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
The best news is it's 2 years old. Next gen could start 3.5 years after the game launched. Possible that HZD2 will be out for PS5 launch and very likely by holiday 2020 at the latest.

Oct 31, 2017
HZD is one of those game I'll never uninstall from my PS4, it's just that good.

One of the best games I've ever played. Congrats GG.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
It's a great game, my only platinum on the PS4. It's also one of the best looking games I've played ever.
I'm eagerly awaiting HZD 2 :)

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, feels like I put it down to play something else a short time ago and never got around to going back...whoops.

I did like the game at first and planned to finish it, but my problem with it ended up being exactly what I expected would happen back when I saw the reveal trailer. The trailer caught my attention because what I love about Monster Hunter is learning the ins and outs, the quirks and habits of monsters in order to take them down more effectively. The game certainly had that, but the issue is that big budget AAA games assume players are idiots and make it all optional and too easy. I feared I'd find some way to trivialize the game and all the cool tricks (like sliding between something's legs and shooting a fuel tank) would get thrown out the window. After I figured out how to kill the big T-rex Zoid in about 20 seconds on hard mode I realized I'd hit that point. And then I started Zelda...

Nashklasher

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Overhyped . most undeserving game ever to sell that much . Just my opinion , ain't here to bait or start a war ...

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah that happened a couple of time in botw and is a flaw there, but I swear to god it happened at least five or six times on horizon trying to do the most basic of things exploring lmao. (And the text is a bit worse too, literally calling it "the play area")

Why do they do that at all? Have a cutscene with god striking you down with lightning and killing you if you've got to do that sort of thing. Or you could have it bounce you back and it play the sonic spring sound effect. anything would be better. The text is so immersion breaking.

I love HZD and I haven't played BOTW, but I do wish it (and BOTW since it happened) invented a better way of doing that.

To be fair, I only encountered it in the DLC for HZD. I don't think that ever happened to me during the base game.

Jan 29, 2018
Loved it, and I've actually been itching to replay it recently. I can't wait to see what a sequel looks like.

I almost hope the next one isn't a PS5 launch game because launch games never age well, but hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
wow holy crap, did not think it sold 10M

congrats to GG, good for them

it's in my backlog, haven't started playing it yet but it looks like a quality game

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
TTFW a exclusive new ip outsold Capcom best
this probably puts horizon at the best selling exclusive new IP of the generation right? amazing results.

It's kinda amazing when you think about it, an exclusive new ip outsold Capcom's best selling multiplatform game to date

that's nothing short of amazing!

Amazing how Killzone was hyped up to be the Halo Killer, but in the end, this game ended up being on par, if not bigger than Halo this gen

oh it's already bigger than Halo, it probably sold more than Halo 4 and 5 combined

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Man if last gen you told me a sony first party new ip gonna sell over 10m I would call you crazy. This generation sony did things unbelievably insane with its fp games sales wise.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
So now WWS has six 10+ mil seller IP on its hand. Not bad, not bad at all.

GOW
TLOU
GT
Uncharted
Spiderman
Horizon

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
It is a good game, one of the best looking games of the generation with very fun combat.

Cant wait to play the unavoidable follow up, hopefully it fixes a couple of my own gripes with the game :P

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, feels like I put it down to play something else a short time ago and never got around to going back...whoops.

I did like the game at first and planned to finish it, but my problem with it ended up being exactly what I expected would happen back when I saw the reveal trailer. The trailer caught my attention because what I love about Monster Hunter is learning the ins and outs, the quirks and habits of monsters in order to take them down more effectively. The game certainly had that, but the issue is that big budget AAA games assume players are idiots and make it all optional and too easy. I feared I'd find some way to trivialize the game and all the cool tricks (like sliding between something's legs and shooting a fuel tank) would get thrown out the window. After I figured out how to kill the big T-rex Zoid in about 20 seconds on hard mode I realized I'd hit that point. And then I started Zelda...

I mean I can kill Lynels in Zelda by spamming Statis+ on them without taking damage. It's still very fun to do :). Also play HZD on Ultra Hard, it will kick your ass.

Sliding between something's legs to shoot a canister was never really the most viable trick. If anything, being able to freeze and then spam multiple arrows is the combo that I used the most.

Overhyped . most undeserving game ever to sell that much . Just my opinion , ain't here to bait or start a war ...

Overhyped? Okay your opinion. Most undeserving game ever to sell that much though?

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Obviously he's not lying, but these numbers have some kind of asterisk to them. Maybe he's counting DLC sales and the game was bundled more than I thought.

The game came out around the same time as BotW and that game has been charting ever since, while Horizon fell off pretty fast. They really shouldn't be close in sales.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously he's not lying, but these numbers have some kind of asterisk to them. Maybe he's counting DLC sales and the game was bundled more than I thought.

Maybe a band of unicorns bought up all the stock.

The game came out around the same time as BotW and that game has been charting ever since, while Horizon fell off pretty fast. They really shouldn't be close in sales.

In what territory are we talking about? The 5 or 6k that BotW is still doing in Japan? Or are we talking about territories that sort by revenue? If so, BotW is still 60 bucks everywhere I've seen.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What PS3 first party game other than TLoU ever reach the 10 million mark? Meanwhile on PS4 (with more or less the same amount of installed base as the PS3 rn) they already have a handful of first party games above the 10m and TLoU2 isn't even out yet.

Anyway, fully deserved. Horizon is still the best Sony produced game on PS4 to date and my favorite open world game of this generation second only to BotW.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

If you mean charting on NPD, IIRC it's not by units.

I think that's why Minecraft isn't charting anymore. Someone correct more of I'm wrong.