• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Very glad to read this, Horizon was something special and it surprised me greatly when I played it, I'm speaking as someone who had low interest in it even after it released, but luckily ended up playing a few weeks after release.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
this probably puts horizon at the best selling exclusive new IP of the generation right? amazing results.

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite games ever, best of 2017 to me. Great to hear that a new IP with a female main character found success, can't wait for the sequel.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
A damn fine number for a new ip. With improvement to the melee system, and better Side quests (thought they were fine but nothing spectacular) they have a chance of making one of the best games of all time. The lore and ranged combat were already great so just build on them.
I'm beginning to think this might get a sequel.
Are you sure, tho?

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely deserved. One of my favorite games of 2017 and one of my favorite games on PS4.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And HZD2 is bound to sell just as much if not more, even if it isn't bundled.
That's what a commitment to a new IP does to your brand. Seriously GG Sony, Keep making these games and you're aces in my books.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
They sold 7.6 million in the first year of the game so i think they're fine.
Potentially made it's money back in the first 2 weeks let alone year. The budget was apparently around €45m. Don't know how much they received from each of those 2.6m sales but it seems a pretty modest budget compared to similar sized games (probably doesn't include marketing though).

Oct 30, 2017
Hot damn.

I guess it was really only a matter of when not if it hits 10 million when it shot pass 7 million the first year.

This is easily GG best selling game ever and a brand new IP in a different genre than the studio has been known for (making Killzone for 3 generations in a row since their inception) Killzone is going to be put in the back burner for a while.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy for Guerilla, I've been a fan of them for a long time. And Horizon Zero Dawn is one of the best games ever made. They deserve this.

Very excited for the sequel!

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's awesome

the sequel is poised to be huge too if they make the proper improvements to the game and get it out within the first year of the PS5

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite games of the generation. Everything just clicked with this game. It's the best narrative driven open world game I have played.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Congrats to GG! Here's to seeing where they take the franchise next. Based on their post-mortem, it sounds like they know which weaknesses to strengthen in the sequel and are intent on doing so.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
A damn fine game with some great combat mechanics and a great open world.

but they gotta do something about that snoresville story/dialogue/supporting cast

I too, would wish that Guerilla would make another Killzone. There is, believe it or not, an audience from the PS3 era that finds that series great today!

Like me!

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I think Horizon is my game of the generation so far, well deserved GG! Not only is it a phenomenally good looking game, it also has one of the best and most fun gameplay mechanics I've ever encountered.

HZD2 on PS5 will be amazing, if somehow I could play or at least walk through these environments in VR, it'd be even better!

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well deserved. Guerrilla is such talented team, nice to see they get this success after all that great work in games like Killzone 2, 3, Liberation or Mercenary.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Wow 10 million is huge for a new IP. Can't wait to see HZD2 on PS5.

This drawing is beautiful!
47158459712_2daa1bf652_n.jpg

Fan art by Maggie Rose

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing! Well deserved. Like I said, it's the best new IP of this gen for me and my GOTY 2017 :)

Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us 2, Spider-Man, God of War and Death Stranding will all sell well over 10 million.
What a great achievement by Sony's Worldwide Studios.
(Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man and God of War already are well beyond 10 million by now.)

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
One of the best games this gen and the best use of a consoles power I've seen this gen period.

Each fight is breath taking, looks amazing, sounds amazing and most importantly feels amazing.

Guerrilla won me over with this, bravo!

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Guess I'm a weirdo but the game's success surprises me. It was pretty, but seemed quite basic and flawed in many ways.

Regardless, I'm hopeful for a sequel. I see a lot of potential.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Great game!! Happy for them.
GG are of one of my fav dev teams and thats not because their Dutch like me but their support for HZD has been great and i think Hermen is a great stand up guy

Oct 25, 2017
It sold 2.5 mil in the first two weeks at full price. It sold 7.6 mil in its first year, well before regular deep discounting like you mentioned happened. The game was clearly and obviously a massive success, and your musing that they didn't make money on it is strange. Late life price drops have been proven to be a good way to get people interested in a game, especially if there is going to be a sequel. Those $20 games may not have drastically improved profits, but they will likely aid the next game's sales by hooking people on it.
See how much extra you're putting on my post that I didn't say. Don't take "happy for the milestone, but hope they made money" as a put down for something you like. Jesus Christ.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, over 10 million! Didn't realise it sold that well. That's awesome! Lets not forget though female protagonists don't sell! :/

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sooo

I guess this might have outsold the entire KZ franchise?

Amazing result for sure - can't wait to see the sequel

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
One of THE positive surprises of the generation - Kudos GG and well deserved.
Cant wait for the sequel.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Amazing. Another 10 million seller for the ps4 this gen. I wonder how much over 10m it is?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I too, would wish that Guerilla would make another Killzone. There is, believe it or not, an audience from the PS3 era that finds that series great today!

Like me!

It's a series that never really took off even after being given several chances. If they want to make a shooter it'd make far more sense for them to create an entirely new IP so that they don't have any of the KZ baggage with it.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
10M is insane for a new IP. Congratulations to Guerrilla, they deserve it.

Can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit!

Best selling first party new IP of the generation by far, isnt it? Amazing sucess story!

Congrats GG!

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Guess I'm a weirdo but the game's success surprises me. It was pretty, but seemed quite basic and flawed in many ways.

Regardless, I'm hopeful for a sequel. I see a lot of potential.

Most definetly. If they fucked up the combat and story i probably wouldnt even finished it.
They nailed the combat imo. It was incredibly fun to play with and some of the robots were crazy good.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing! Game is an all time favorite, still boot it up just to fight the robot dinos, combat is so good.