• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They likely sold less than that. The game didn't really hit any charts. IMO Sony gains nothing from PC ports, because if they had quality PC ports, the last thing I want is a playstation console if their games do well on PC. They have nothing to gain, only loss of potential PS owner + sub.

They have nothing to gain except hundreds of thousands, potentially millions of sales from people who aren't interested in buying a console in the first place.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I was excited for this until the port ended up being terrible.

Now I'm stuck trying to decide if I should buy a used copy of the PS4 version or wait for the PC port to get fixed. If my RX480 is going to run it at 1080p/30 with graphics issues then why even bother?

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Seems underwhelming if true. That's like what, like 5% of the total sales? I think it sold over 10M on PS4.

I bet Sony wanted a better result. That tells you either a) they need to put better effort into the port or more likely b) they need to launch closer to the the console version which I doubt Sony is too hot on doing. That will eat into PlayStation sales.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to trying it out on PC when it hits about $10. Especially now since it doesn't look like they will give PS4 owners any benefit on PS5.

Last edited:

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They likely sold less than that. The game didn't really hit any charts. IMO Sony gains nothing from PC ports, because if they had quality PC ports, the last thing I want is a playstation console if their games do well on PC. They have nothing to gain, only loss of potential PS owner + sub.
Then why do people buy Xboxes?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
How much did you expect a 4 year old port to sell at full price? The game will continue to sell for years and eventually be a multi million seller.
Iono. But Halo is selling way more than that. Sea of Thieves sold way more than that at $40. I mean, it topped the revenue charts at full price (no discount) for the entirety of the steam sale, including when Horizon got listed. But sure, it'll get there (if it hasn't already, I really don't trust Superdata).

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Iono. But Halo is selling way more than that. Sea of Thieves sold way more than that at $40. I mean, it topped the revenue charts at full price (no discount) for the entirety of the steam sale, including when Horizon got listed. But sure, it'll get there (if it hasn't already, I really don't trust Superdata).

Yeah:

First these numbers aren't verified. We don't know if they are accurate.

Secondly we have seena ton of success with other console "exclusive" ports coming to PC.

Assuming these numbers are correct (and again, we have no evidence that they are), this could just be an issue witht he game. Whether the port quality, the delay from original release, or just that for whatever reason it didn't resonate with PC gamers, or a ocmbination fo the above, who knows.

It doesn't necessarily mean the same thing would happen with other games.

Just purely anecdotally, out of my PC gaming friends NO ONE was talking about this game except for me cause Iw as interested (and still am, justw aiting for a fix of the port).

On the other hand, while no one I game with on the PC side owns or plans to own a PS4/PS5, the majority would be interested in a Spiderman PC release. All of us being fans of the Batman games (and we are all assuming this game is kind of like one of those).

A Spiderman release would do gangbusters on PC, IMHO.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
But the same can be said for PC? I mean literally PC gaming is WAY larger than PlayStation.
I mean yeah, but my point was more in line with consoles not being made redundant just because the exclusives are available also on PC. I love PC because of the advantages it has over console (more freedom, multitasking, etc) and because the disadvantages dont really affect me.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
I mean yeah, but my point was more in line with consoles not being made redundant just because the exclusives are available also on PC. I love PC because of the advantages it has over console (more freedom, multitasking, etc) and because the disadvantages dont really affect me.

Oh yeah, absolutely agree. I mena Microsoft figured this out a long time ago. Putting your games on PC reaches a new audience, it doesn't cannibalize your existing console audience. These people are either already invested in that space or are located in regions where consoles are dominant or more accessible/cheaper.

On PC it's similar. They are either fully invested in the PC ecosystem, or live in a region where PC parts are more accessible and cheaper, or more likely to be used for work at home, or where they are made cheaply accessible in things like cyber cafes.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Dear Sony:

I would like to know if PS5 games are launching on PC, I don´t mind if it is one year later or whatever.

I want to know if I should invest on a PC upgrade.

Thanks.

lmao
You're gonna get a LOT back from investing on a PC upgrade (just don't do it right now, wait a bit until next gen PC requirements are well defined). So I would do it no matter what Sony does.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
No, it isn't. Who told you that? PSN makes about 3 times the revenue Steam does. It not even close.
Steam isnt "PC Gaming". The biggest games on the world (that are also on PC!) arent on Steam.
And I am unsure about the PSN making 3 times the revenue, considering that the monthly populations are quite similar. (And well, PC revenue estimations tend to be... shitty).

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
No, it isn't. Who told you that? PSN makes about 3 times the revenue Steam does. It's not even close.

Have numbers to back it up? And I was tlaking about PC in general. There are more people right now logged in and playing a single PC exclusive title, than there are people logged in and playing any games, ALL games, on a playstation console.

I just realized you said revenue, not user base. Because in terms of user base they are pretty close (and again just talking about Steam because PC gaming overall is gigantic compared to just playstation). I guess maybe revenue if you count PS plus subs?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Shoddy port hardly helped

This. The PC community isn't super tolerant when it comes to crappy ports and word spreads crazy fast when ports aren't up to snuff. We knew the PC port wasn't looking good days before it even released. If Horizon was ported well then it would do very well on PC indeed because it's a great eye candy game.

That being said, 750k sales would be pretty damn good for less than two months on sale *if* these numbers are remotely true.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Okay.

Steam revenue 2017 - $4.3 billion
PSN revenue 2017 - $17.7 billion

I'd provide a newer comparison but there are no publically available revenue numbers for Steam past '17.

Those Steam numbers are just an estimate, Valve is a private company and doesn't disclose how much money they make to the public.

Also Steam is just one platform/way to buy games on PC. You can even buy Steam games at a lot of other websites without Valve making a single penny off of the sale, not counting stuff that isn't on Steam.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Then why do people buy Xboxes?
I also think Xbox loses out on sales of console and live gold #s too due to PC ports.

But it's not as pointless for Xbox because they have a plan here that Sony doesn't in retaining a recurring fee and locking users in, which is Gamepass. Everytime they release a game they have a chance to gain a sub on both PC and Xbox. Sony atm has jack shit, just Steam sales that doesn't really lock users in like Gamepass does for Xbox.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
I mean, that is a SteamSpy calculation (which isnt that good) without accounting for DLC and mtx (which is kinda of a big chunk). And there are no publically available revenue numbers for Steam... ever. Which is kinda of a sad thing tbh.

In fact that it was reported that DLC and mxt made do make up a HUGE chunk. I want to say this was insider talk, but I have to look for articles.

And yeah that also includes PS plus, but obviously Steam doesn't charge you for cloud saves and multiplayer.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Have they fixed the periodic stutters and hitches. From what I recall reading at release you could not brute force those.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
So they possibly pocketed $30,000,000 dollars on a dead game by porting it to PC ? Yea expect more Sony games in the Future heading to PC lol.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
700k x $50 ? is 30,000,000. How much is STEAMS cut ?

It scales now, so first $10 million is 30%, 10-50 million is 25%, after 50 million is 20%.

Steam also has regional pricing so the game is not $50 everywhere, so I put in a scale just to account for weirdos would want to dispute a higher number.

A more realistic figure is probably 19-24 million in revenue (700,000x50 is 35,000,000)

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
It scales now, so first $10 million is 30%, 10-50 million is 25%, after 50 million is 20%.

Steam also has regional pricing so the game is not $50 everywhere, so I put in a scale just to account for weirdos would want to dispute a higher number.

A more realistic figure is probably 19-24 million in revenue (700,000x50 is 35,000,000)

Alright thats still hella impressive for a game they just ported from 2017

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020

Yeah in terms of porting costs, that's like a ridiculous return on investment, I'm sure. Especially since they seemed to have cheaped out in this case. Hopefully they won't in the future.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously- *IF* these numbers are true then I suspect that Sony is more than happy with these results. They will be well over a million copies sold once the holidays are over.

But the IF true part is the big stickler.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Alright thats still hella impressive for a game they just ported from 2017

Yeah, that's also just the first month and a half without any sales yet. Games on PC have legs for years so this is probably a huge success for Sony

Yeah in terms of porting costs, that's like a ridiculous return on investment, I'm sure.

Yes, the original cost of the entire game was 45 million euros so porting the existing game to PC is definitely magnitudes cheaper than that. PC version will probably bring in enough revenue to cover the entire development costs of the PS4 version and the PC port as well.

Dec 15, 2017
The floodgates will open I have no doubt. It's going to be awesome.

Just imagine if this poor port of an Ubisoft game with a new hat sold 700k in a month.

How much would a good port of Bloodborne sell on the platform with the largest community of souls fans. 2.5M in a month easy.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't know why I dislike this game so much, but man I hated playing that game even though I can objectively say it's a well made game kinda

I am interested in how it looks on PC, but not buying it for that.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'm kind of embarassed that I'm part of that number. Even after patches, it's still one of the most offensively bad ports I've played recently.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
I bounced off Horizon on PS4 (Pro) due to the frankly grotesque heat and noise that console produced.

I bought it on PC in a fair attempt to give it a second go. Unfortunately we all know it has been a technical mess from day one and as it turns out, the underlying game still doesn't grab me and so doesn't justify further persistence. They got my money twice, that's on me.

Even though I don't think much of the game, I do think Horizon was a good first effort - and I hope the (unfortunately cross-gen) sequel grabs me in a way the first game couldn't.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Okay.

Steam revenue 2017 - $4.3 billion
PSN revenue 2017 - $17.7 billion

I'd provide a newer comparison but there are no publically available revenue numbers for Steam past '17.
I've never heard of Fortnite, Minecraft, and League of Legends either...
How much would a good port of Bloodborne sell on the platform with the largest community of souls fans. 2.5M in a month easy.
Seems like their biggest potential earner for sure. An insane number of double dips there too. Presumably too close to Demon's Souls at the moment though? I'm sure it's happening next year when they don't have a Souls exclusive.