• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Made a GIF of me moving through the graph so you can see the values

1hujb8.gif
Argh, frametime, not framerate.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Argh, frametime, not framerate.

like.... frametimes IS framerate.

if your framerate is fluctuating, then you are gonna have a fluctuating frametime too.

If your fps is locked and actually stable yet your frametime is still fluctuating, that is an issue but you aint gonna get smooth frametimes from unlocked/variable framerate no matter what

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
like.... frametimes IS framerate.

if your framerate is fluctuating, then you are gonna have a fluctuating frametime too.
Well yes, but to see stuttering ie sudden quick framespikes, you need to look at the frametimes and not framerate. Framerate fluctuations are not the problem in HZD, its the sudden quick frametime spikes (which wont make your framerate tank, since you know, they are super quick). If I lock my fps to 60 in HZD, my framerate looks very smooth, looking at the frametime graph shows a different story since it has constant sudden spikes.

Edit. More at: https://medium.com/@lakshyasrivasta...he-secret-to-silky-smooth-gaming-fbd740410e04

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone recently played horizon on PC. Is it fixed now? I have a 1060 and want to play frozen wilds but pc version here is cheaper than the DLC

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone recently played horizon on PC. Is it fixed now? I have a 1060 and want to play frozen wilds but pc version here is cheaper than the DLC
I have a 1080Ti, so not the best comparison, but I'm playing at ultra settings at 1440p and the framerate feels very smooth. Only two crashes so far (one in-game and one when exiting the game) and I'm two main missions away from the ending. I stopped that to do Frozen Wilds.

Jan 20, 2019
By christimas the game should be really good, im think of buy a graphics card by that time and play it before the second one drops, should get a sale as well.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I have a 1080Ti, so not the best comparison, but I'm playing at ultra settings at 1440p and the framerate feels very smooth. Only two crashes so far (one in-game and one when exiting the game) and I'm two main missions away from the ending. I stopped that to do Frozen Wilds.
I am happy with the console setting and 1080p. Just are there still snow and af bugs along with physics issue

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am happy with the console setting and 1080p. Just are there still snow and af bugs along with physics issue
Out of these, only the AF bug remains. But then again, you can enable it on the Nvidia Control Panel instead. I do recommend you rebuild the shader cache, though. I'm doing that after each patch just in case.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I built a new PC, installed Horizon to a new NVME drive, ran it and... it didn't perform a shader cache?

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The 3080/[email protected] I'm running is enough to brute force this game into being smooth (85+ fps maxed at 1440p), but I get very bad stutters for the first 15 seconds or so after loading into the game. Seems loading assets is not smooth right now. But once the initial startup is done, it runs well.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
The 3080/[email protected] I'm running is enough to brute force this game into being smooth (85+ fps maxed at 1440p), but I get very bad stutters for the first 15 seconds or so after loading into the game. Seems loading assets is not smooth right now. But once the initial startup is done, it runs well.
How does it look at 1440 on the 3080?

I just got a 3080 Build with a 1440 ultrawide and thought this would be a good choice to show what it can do.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't this causing another bug, though, iirc?

Really interested in the PC version, but with all the technical issues I've heard of and with the need to build a shader cache before playing (which seems so not 2020) I'm really turned off.

you can force AS on, you just need to delete any existing shader cache and rebuild or you get graphical issues

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
you can force AS on, you just need to delete any existing shader cache and rebuild or you get graphical issues
Man, this engine/game seems so weird it feels like being back in the 90s with fiddling around like that :/ But thank you anyways for the advice!

Another question: Did they patch the missing snow deformation I've read about here in mid-August?

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Man, this engine/game seems so weird it feels like being back in the 90s with fiddling around like that :/ But thank you anyways for the advice!

Another question: Did they patch the missing snow deformation I've read about here in mid-August?

you can tell the devs were used to building for a console target where they get to decide everything and just weren't experienced on how to add scalability and graphics settings to the game in an elegant, simple to use way.

hopefully they'll nail it next time.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
you can tell the devs were used to building for a console target where they get to decide everything and just weren't experienced on how to add scalability and graphics settings to the game in an elegant, simple to use way.

hopefully they'll nail it next time.
Depends on who does the port next time. If they farm it out like they did this one, it'll probably end up just as bad. Death Stranding (newer version of the same engine) didn't have these problems because KojiPro themselves did the PC port.

If the rumors were true of Sony "testing the waters" of PC ports of their otherwise-exclusive titles, hopefully they've learned something by the different reception these two games got.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

I tested that a couple weeks ago, it's been fixed since I think 1.04.

The game is in a good place, hopefully the next patch resolves the very few issues that are left.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this causing another bug, though, iirc?

Really interested in the PC version, but with all the technical issues I've heard of and with the need to build a shader cache before playing (which seems so not 2020) I'm really turned off.

The AF bug happened if you had already built the cache before enabling it in the Control Panel. So if you enable before you start the game for the first time, you're OK. You also don't need to rebuild the cache after each patch. I only do it out of precaution. Doesn't take that long on my PC, either. It's 10-15 minutes. As for the snow deformation, it's fixed.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I tested that a couple weeks ago, it's been fixed since I think 1.04.

The game is in a good place, hopefully the next patch resolves the very few issues that are left.
The AF bug happened if you had already built the cache before enabling it in the Control Panel. So if you enable before you start the game for the first time, you're OK. You also don't need to rebuild the cache after each patch. I only do it out of precaution. Doesn't take that long on my PC, either. It's 10-15 minutes. As for the snow deformation, it's fixed.
Thank you! Maybe I get it once it's on sale :)

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
I think performance in this game is almost perfect on the 3080 with the exception of some cpu stutter when you enter new areas. Getting 70-80 fps at the highest settings and 4k. Anyone managed to remove the cpu/io stutter completely?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The stutter on camera chabgetext box opening and New area change was still there when i tested 3 weeks ago now. Also af was not working and Vsync still causes periodic 33,3 ms dips. Borderless also dips performance more than it should.

General performance was much higher, but still those issues made it as of 3 weeks ago not a recommended game for me.

I wonder if they will also look at the 30 fps grass Animation...

MegaApple

Jun 20, 2020
India
The stutter on camera chabgetext box opening and New area change was still there when i tested 3 weeks ago now. Also af was not working and Vsync still causes periodic 33,3 ms dips. Borderless also dips performance more than it should.

General performance was much higher, but still those issues made it as of 3 weeks ago not a recommended game for me.

Damn.
I wish there was more buzz around it. It's a great technical showcase marred by issues like these.

MyGamingDiary

Banned
Jul 30, 2019
Damn.
I wish there was more buzz around it. It's a great technical showcase marred by issues like these.

I just wish they implemented DLSS 2.0/2.1. That would probably fix a lot of the framerate issues without sacrafising much of image quality. Sure, it's just a way of bypassing bad optimization in this case, but I would gladly use DLSS over the performance at native resolution it currently has.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands

Hi everyone,
We're very happy to release Patch 1.06 for Horizon Zero Dawn on PC today!
First of all, we want to thank you all for your continued feedback, patience and support. In the past couple of weeks, our team has worked hard on some trickier changes that needed some extra time to develop and test. Patch 1.06 addresses some of these issues with additional crash fixes and further improvements on the game. These include some issues reported by the community, such as Aloy not walking in the direction where the camera was facing when pressing forward. Rest assured that our team is still working on other known issues, which we hope to have more info on soon.
You can find the Known Issues and full patch notes for Patch 1.06 below; if your issue isn't among them, you can send us your reports here.
Please download Patch 1.06 and let us know what you think!
–Guerrilla
Patch 1.06 (HRZ-PCR 120/59990231 01:01 - Wed Oct 07 2020)
KNOWN ISSUES

• Some players are experiencing an out of memory error during the game optimization process.
  • Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering or HDR not working correctly.
  • Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.
  • We're aware of and continue to investigate issues that are not yet solved on both the player-compiled lists by u/EvilMonkeySlayer and u/Rampage572 – thank you!

PATCH NOTES

Crash Fixes

• Fixed a streaming compute shader crash
  • Fixed a crash on startup related to file paths with non-ANSI characters

Graphical Improvements

• Fixed an issue where characters would noticeably warp between cuts during a specific cutscene in main quest "The Point of the Spear"
  • Fixed an issue where box graphics would flash during the final cinematic of the game
  • Fixed an issue in HDR where the UI could get overlapped by a black scene
  • Fixed an issue where turning on the Adaptive FPS option gave lower performance results than setting similar results manually

Gameplay Improvements

• Aloy forward walking direction – Aloy now walks directly towards the direction the camera is facing when you press forward, rather than at a slight angle

Other Improvements

• Executable details – Properties of the executable now also displays the current version

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
The camera fix is a welcome change but holy hells bells the AF fix is now becoming a meme, it's a joke.

Oct 27, 2017

Hey on the other hand yesterday was the first time I could load the game without it CTD-ing 👍🙌

PiPSmallie

Oct 25, 2017
"Aloy forward walking direction – Aloy now walks directly towards the direction the camera is facing when you press forward, rather than at a slight angle."

What!? Haha this feels like such a simple thing that it's crazy this is only being fixed months after launch.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they're patching, but man these patches are miniscule. how are some of these still not fixed yet?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
To be fair, I assume the AF setting is taking so long to fix because it more or less requires completely reworking how the game compiles shaders, as users having to sit through that process whenever they change the value is far from ideal.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Basically PC version needed at least 5-6 more months of development. Or they could have hired someone that is more capable and actually release a good port.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Still shitty hdr, the game is awful on hdr. I show the game to my friend that got the game on ps4 pro, the game is way prettier on hdr ! ( and he doesn't have a good hdr tv like mine) .
I m going to see if the game is still crashing or not.