• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core [email protected] or AMD FX [email protected]
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 (3 GB) or AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB)
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 100 GB available space
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core [email protected] or Ryzen 5 [email protected]
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB) or AMD Radeon RX 580 (8GB)
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 100 GB available space

From the Release Day Steam Community announcement thread on the Steam forums for HZD PC:
Below are a few recommendations from us about what you can do to optimise your Horizon Zero Dawn PC experience. As always, your feedback and support is so appreciated!

Updating the Latest Video Drivers

Please ensure you're using the latest graphics drivers available for your card. Older drivers may cause graphical glitches or stability issues:

NVIDIA: 451.67

AMD: 20.7.2 ("Optional" / non-WHQL) or newer

Look out for new drivers released around launch that may offer further benefits for Horizon Zero Dawn on PC.

Initial Shader Compilation

In order to improve performance during play, we've implemented a one-time initial shader compilation before the game starts for the first time. This can take an average of 10-15 minutes for most systems to complete. Once it's completed, you won't have to do it again unless you make a significant hardware change or update your video drivers. We're looking into ways to further optimize this process.

Known Issues
  • Anisotropic Filtering settings are not working. This is a high priority issue for us to resolve.
  • Some systems may experience a brief stutter during general world traversal, UI updates, quest updates, or camera swaps in cutscenes. This is a high priority issue for us to investigate.
  • Some animations are designed to only refresh at 30fps even if the game is running at a much higher frame rate. We are exploring how we can improve this with a future update.
  • Shader Compilation process does not properly verify remaining storage space on user PC and can result in crashes if the user's storage drive is low on space (compilation process requires additional ~2GB storage space).
PATCH NOTES

NOTE: This list contains some spoilers for quest and character names, as well as in-game locations!

Crash/Hang Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where the game would crash in the control mapping menu screen when moving the game window to a second screen using the Win Key + Arrow Key combination.
  • Fixed several other crashes
Performance Issue Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where the framerate would behave incorrectly in Ultimate Quality with a 3840x2160 display resolution.
  • Fixed an issue where the game would have performance issues when running in High End 4K display resolution.
  • Fixed an issue in the main quest "The Point of the Spear" where the game would have performance issues during the fight with the Sawtooth.
  • Fixed an issue in the side quest "Fatal Inheritance" where the game would have performance issues when entering the house.
  • Fixed an issue in the DLC expansion quest "Firebreak" where the frame rate would drop in certain places.
  • Fixed an issue where the framerate would drop on a path to in-game location Pitchcliff.
  • Fixed an issue where the game would encounter streaming issues on buildings when the player was near Mother's Cradle.
Graphics Issue Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where the game would have graphics issues when approaching the Battery Facility and Firebreak.
  • Fixed an issue in side quest "Sunstone Rock" where there was a graphics issue behind Janeva near Sunstone Rock.
  • Fixed an issue where a flicker would occur when changing the Render Scale.
  • Fixed an issue where the Crafting sub-menu image would show a compressed image in different aspect ratios.
  • Fixed an issue with overlapping UI in Quest menus when using Mouse and Keyboard.
  • Fixed an issue where the extended blurred side bars for cutscenes and conversations did not display when in Borderless Mode.
Streaming Issue Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where the game would encounter streaming issues when using specific Adaptive Performance FPS settings.
Functionality Issue Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where a notification after a crash disappears before the user can accept the request.
  • Fixed an issue where an option in the Audio Output Device list did not register as a valid option.
  • Fixed an issue where the Audio Output Device can not be changed via the Settings > Audio page.
  • Fixed an issue in the Benchmark Tool where music would no longer play on subsequent runs of the Benchmark Tool after running and cancelling the tool early.
  • Fixed an issue in the Japanese SKU where the cross button is functioned as confirmation button when selecting choices during conversation and cutscenes instead of circle button
Localization Issue Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where the first-time loading screen would show placeholder text in every language except English.
Other Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where a user was not able to boot the game after closing it.
  • Fixed an issue where the game would display debug names in some instances.
  • Fixed an issue where several fonts were present in the Install folder of the game.
  • Fixed an issue where the Horizon Zero Dawn logo would not be displayed correctly.

Now please share ALL of your issues and experience with Horizon Zero Dawn PC here so we can all in one place discuss the issues if need be and not be scattered as it is right now!

Also it seems like the devs just released a patch just before making the game public on steam and available for every one to download an hour or two ago from the time this thread was made!

And finally apologies for the not so flashy thread but this was the best i could do!

EDIT: POSSIBLE STUTTERING FIX FOR NVIDIA USERS:

So a friend told me that they set their GPU to prefer max performance in the NVIDIA Driver's Power Management settings and it fixed a lot of their stuttering. Nvidia users might wanna try that and see if it helps quite a bit or not :)

EDIT 2: Quick Update regarding Player Reports from Guerilla:

Thank you for supporting us yesterday as we launched Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition on PC! We have been enjoying a whole new wave of screenshots with the in-game Photo Mode, live streams and videos from content creators, and seeing so many new players start their journey with Aloy.

We have been monitoring all of our channels and are aware that some players have been experiencing crashes and other technical issues. Please know that we are investigating all your reports as our highest priority, as we want all of our players to be able to enjoy the game!

We appreciate those who have already taken the time to report their issues on Steam, Reddit, or via our website. If you are still encountering crashes or bugs, please continue to use those spaces, or refer to our FAQ if you are unsure of how to proceed. Your reports are, and have already been, incredibly helpful for our teams.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to help our affected players; we will update you all as soon as we have more news.

–Guerrilla

Last edited:

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno OP, is the game actually out? I've been burned a few times in the last few days... ;)

OT: I'd love to hear from people with 3800X/1080ti-level systems on their experiences. Hopefully a patch or two helps with the performance issues we've been hearing about.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
I have faith that they will indeed tackle the AF, shader comp. and stuttering issue but I can't imagine they'll really invest the time into unlocking the animations. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
With my 2070 Super and Ryzen 3700X it runs decent enough. The port's various issues like the UI change stuttering are very annoying, though. And the performance is honestly just disappointing after Death Stranding.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of things I've noticed on my machine which hasn't been talked much about:

- Game allocates >20 GB of RAM on my 64 GB machine. If it does this on 16 GB machines too then it'll hit the swap file resulting in some number of these hitches everyone is seeing.

- Aspect ratio control is broken. Even if it says "Auto" it's still selecting the aspect ratio from the list available in this option despite allowing you to choose any resolution reported by the video driver. So if you have a 16:10 display and select a 16:10 resolution you will get this res squished into 16:9 aspect ratio - since this is the one which game actually supports when it says "Auto". So make sure to select a resolution which corresponds to a proper aspect ratio on your monitor. [edit] Or you can do the dual Alt+Enter trick, this forces the game to actually use your display aspect ratio for some reason.

- Shader compilation at first start on a new driver takes about 10-15 minutes on my 6850K with about 3/4 of this time the CPU being at 100% load. This isn't how you do shader compilation on PC in 2020, especially since during any launch with no save games the game is showing an unskippable video right after that process which itself is about 10 mins long.

Last edited:

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I did say in the OT I'd make one if there was demand, as PC-specific OTs generally don't need to be split down the middle. All PC performance threads really need are an OP with a tips and tricks section that's kept up-to-date, though, so if you intend to do that, then this thread is fine.

Last edited:

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
- Shader compilation at first start on a new driver takes about 10-15 minutes on my 6850K with about 3/4 of this time the CPU being at 100% load. This isn't how you do shader compilation on PC in 2020, especially since during any launch with no save games the game is showing an unskippable video right after that process which itself is about 10 mins long.
You can supposedly skip the cutscene by using Alt-F4 (will not close the game, just ask if you want to skip it)

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Going to repost what I said in the OT thread.

Played it for more than 3 hours at 1080p. Performance was iffy, with a mix of low and medium settings and usually being at 40-50 FPS. Ryzen 5 3600x, Nvidia 970GTX and 16GB RAM. Talking about RAM, that's something that got my attention: this games eats too much RAM. While having Firefox with multiple tabs open, Steam, GOG Galaxy, Discord and Horizon, the system is almost at 70-80% RAM usage.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Uff that a big fix list. I'll wait a few months until it gets patched by fans.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I don't really care about a lot of the performance issues.

Game looks and runs fine enough for me.

It's the random crashing I want fixed.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
8700k, 32 gigs, ssd, 1080ti here. Just moved today, but got the PC setup and Horizon downloaded. Stuck with 1080p for now till I get the 4k TV hooked up. Played for about 1 hour 15 mins with everything on Ultra, and to no ones surprise it's been a flawless 60 fps so far. Haven't run into any bugs or crashes yet. Really great looking game. Decima is good at making nice moss :) Sad that the port doesn't seem the best, but I have faith that they'll patch it up pretty good. You just expect it at this point from Sony first party games.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The frame times are horrendous. I'm usually not that bothered by minor judder, but I just can't handle this.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
2070 super+9600k at 1440p using DF's recommended settings but i turned off motion blur and changed clouds to med
N4TMkJdh.png

edit: whats the deal with HDR? not seeing it available despite having a HDR capable display

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
Ok, benchmark and game is very smooth... but there are VERY tiny stutters when the ui updates.

I7 8700k @ 5ghz
2080TI OC
32 GB 3200Mhz
SSD
1080p - Ultra Settings
RTSS limited to 140 fps
85~100 frames, god bless G-Sync

MrAlderson

Apr 19, 2018
The game is using 20GB of ram on my rig, is anyone else seeing a large amount of ram being used ?

NNN

Nov 1, 2017
Has anyone been able to go beyond 75~ FPS? 2080 RTX, 16 gigs of RAM, and CPU Intel i7 @ 3.70GHz.

I have watched
multiple yt videos and none was going above 100fps

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
R5 3600 + GTX 1060 3GB + 16 GB Ram

I managed to get an almost fixed 45 FPS with fewer dips using

+ Performance Mode
+ RTSS Framerate Lock to 45 FPS

Settings

AruLQc0.jpg

mNw2iIv.jpg

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
It's averaging over 60 for me on ultra with TAA, 3440x1440. Custom loop 2080Ti, no overclock just max core voltage and power; 7700k @ 4.8.

I like to play with nvidia game effects though, adding DoF and Details. With those enabled, FPS drops like 8. Keeping them off for now.

maty

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
The game crashed on me 10 times, I can't get past the initial "optimization". 2hs of playtime just from that.

My specs
Ryzen 7 1700
GTX970
16gb RAM

I don't expect the game to run well, but at least get to the main menu. I'm not going to ask for a refund because I got it before the price hike in my region. What a disappointment. Already uninstalled it. Hopefully sometime in the future I get to play it :/

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone had the issue of the game simply not being able to launch? I would click play and the game would immediately error and say it crashed. I'd have to kill Steam to actually get it to stop.

I uninstalled it from my SSD and I'm redownloading on my HDD to see if that helps but we'll see.

My specs are:

I7-8700k
RTX 2080
64GB RAM

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
R5 3600, GTX 1080 8 GB, 32 GB 3600Mhz

Changed Power to Performance, and with some tweaking managed to get an almost locked 60fps. There are drops here and there specially in cutscenes.

Settings
KwXdAVw.jpg

xeYS8ll.jpg

hChjP0f.jpg

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Forcing 16X AF through Nvidia drivers causes weird rendering issues for me so i had to disable it. Also had to change from borderless to full screen to get accurate resolution. Otherwise peformance is solid.

2080 Super
3900x
32 gb ram

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Any 5700XT experiences to share? I'm convinced I'm waiting for a sale, I have way too much to play, but I am so tempted.

Does it have an internal resolution scaling option?

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Ouch. Was fine (60-110fps) up until I entered the village for the first time. The groups of people caused the framerate to dip below 60fps. Had to lower some settings from Ultra to High or even Medium.

This on a 1080ti, 6700K at just 1080p.

I also noticed some random flickering here and there, especially during cutscenes and dialogue on the latest driver that fixed the flickering in Death Stranding already (451.85). Not to mention that even on Max Performance opted for in the Nvidia control panel, the stutters were still definitely there and noticeable.

Edit: Also, I've noticed some audio oddities as well, including but not limited to what sounds like clipping static during scene transitions. Never noticed that on the PS4 version.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I just finished re-downloading the whole thing and it's still fucked. I can't launch the game at all.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Forcing 16X AF through Nvidia drivers causes weird rendering issues for me so i had to disable it. Also had to change from borderless to full screen to get accurate resolution. Otherwise peformance is solid.

2080 Super
3900x
32 gb ram
Recompiling shaders should fix that problem.
Go to: \Steam\steamapps\common\Horizon Zero Dawn\LocalCacheDX12
Delete PSOCache.bin
Launch the game.

Fatagnus

Dec 24, 2017
Any 5700XT experiences to share? I'm convinced I'm waiting for a sale, I have way too much to play, but I am so tempted.

Does it have an internal resolution scaling option?
I'm using a Ryzen 1700x 3.8ghz and 5700xt Red Dragon 144hz freesync screen. Only a couple hours in but using DF optimized settings I get around 70-80fps in the wilderness at 1440p. It has a scaling option but It's not reccomended to use it.

It's not perfect but I'm having a good time with it. I have the ps4 pro version and this is a much better experience. Hopefully they fix all the issues.

Medium Textures
Ultra Model Quality
Driver Enforced 16x AF (Don't think this works on AMD?)
High Shadows
Medium Reflections
High Clouds
TAA
Motion Blur Off
Medium Ambient Occlusion
Dynamic Resolution OFF
V-SYNC OFF
Exclusive Fullscreen ON

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
If you are a headphone user and want dolby atmos for headphones to work, you are going to need to use something like HeSuVi, to trick the game into give you all 7.1 channels. For whatever reason, if you boot in with 7.1 speakers and swap to your headphones and use dolby atmos, it just results in missing channels, and if you start with your headphones, it only plays stereo and atmos won't come on.

HeSuVi / Wiki / Help

I did that and now I've got surround sound working.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
So in my case the game crashed when i change some settings etc...but beside that, the game is really smooth !
I m playing it on my samsung tv at 120hz at 1440p, with a 1080ti, ryzen 1600x and 16giga of ram, and the game is installed on a nvme ssd.
The game is always running really good. I made a video on my phone but the quality is not good at all , but you can see how smooth it is.

Google Photos

I was expecting the worse on this game but it's really good in the end haha By the way, the game never install the cache at the begining, the game ask me the language etc....and directly after i had the cutscene intro.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
As far as performance goes, I have absolutely butter smooth frametimes, and 100% GPU Utilization, playing at 3440x1440 using the Digital Foundry suggested settings, except Motion Blur off and AA set to Camera Based. V-sync turned off in game, turned on in Nvidia Control Panel.

90+ FPS frequently. I got 98 FPS in the benchmark. For reference I got 79 FPS in the benchmark with Ulitmate Quality preset.

My frametimes as I said are perfect, I do get occasional hitches from moving around the world but it is not frequent, and I do not have any hitches when just standing around.

I believe two things for why I'm having a much smoother experience compared to others.
1. I am using G-sync
2. I have Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling turned on. Before this setting I never got 100% GPU utilization in games, 99% at best.

Hardware Specs:
Windows 10, Version 2004 (Required for Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling)
2080 TI, 1980 Mhz Core, 7500 Mhz Memory, PCIE 3 x16
6700k, 4.6 GHz all cores
16 GB DDR4 3200 CL14
Game Installed on Crucial MX500 1TB SSD

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
You can supposedly skip the cutscene by using Alt-F4 (will not close the game, just ask if you want to skip it)
Now, what? This is not... how it should works... in any game. Ultra strange.

I'm definitely gonna wait with buying. Right now it seems too much of gamble with some people reporting no issues and (too) many people (for my taste) having issues. Also, reading on tipps (and that it's necessary for some people, to begin with) that I have to manually delete a cache to recompile shaders, this sounds so not 2020 in my books.

I'm a bit disappointed about the port but I'm also patient. Maybe Guerilla work things out.