• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyways, another small tip, especially if playing on harder modes. Use fire arrows on boars since at the start it takes like 3 or 4 arrows to kill them. The DoT from the fire will kill them with one shot.

I really love not having to use the weapon wheel to switch ammo types or weapons themselves in this version. Makes things feel a lot more fluid.

Controls do need some custom binding for things like the utility items. They were always a chore on PS4 but using Z and X to page through them isn't much better either. Trying to figure out a good tweak to them since I really ignored them on PS4 and would like to get more mileage out of them (and I'm on very hard now vs Hard on console).

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Man, riva tuner saving this game...once i locked my fps to 60 with it, smooth as butter. Vsync on in game, fps limiter off, riva tuner on.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Ooof the Steam reviews sure are something.
Have the developers commented on how they are going to fix this yet?

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Seems to work fine for me so far. I am using the digital foundry optimized setting and changing the power management mode to "prefer maximum performance" seem to have taken out most of the stutter. Running pretty smooth on 1440p around 64-70 fps.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
If you are a headphone user and want dolby atmos for headphones to work, you are going to need to use something like HeSuVi, to trick the game into give you all 7.1 channels. For whatever reason, if you boot in with 7.1 speakers and swap to your headphones and use dolby atmos, it just results in missing channels, and if you start with your headphones, it only plays stereo and atmos won't come on.

HeSuVi / Wiki / Help

I did that and now I've got surround sound working.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not that impressed by the graphics. Playing it maxed out on 21:9.

People who said this blows RDR2 out of the water in that department are sure as hell smoking something. Not to mention the char animations in cutscenes are jank city.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018

People who said this blows RDR2 out of the water in that department are sure as hell smoking something. Not to mention the char animations in cutscenes are jank city.
Yesterday i bought both RDR2 ( it had a great discount) and this one. I didn't try yet RDR2, i m going to play Horizon and still have to continue death stranding. But watching video of RDR2, i think it's more about the art direction. HZD got a really good one, one of my friends praise a lot HZD, i think the game is gorgeous a lot ! but finally i prefer the witcher 3 with mod haha ( for me this one is the prettiest game ever with mod)

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday i bought both RDR2 ( it had a great discount) and this one. I didn't try yet RDR2, i m going to play Horizon and still have to continue death stranding. But watching video of RDR2, i think it's more about the art direction. HZD got a really good one, one of my friends praise a lot HZD, i think the game is gorgeous a lot ! but finally i prefer the witcher 3 with mod haha ( for me this one is the prettiest game ever with mod)

Not talking about the art direction specifically here, but there was some heated disscusions that HZD beats out RDR2 on a tehnical level which is just plain false.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
As far as performance goes, I have absolutely butter smooth frametimes, and 100% GPU Utilization, playing at 3440x1440 using the Digital Foundry suggested settings, except Motion Blur off and AA set to Camera Based. V-sync turned off in game, turned on in Nvidia Control Panel.

90+ FPS frequently. I got 98 FPS in the benchmark. For reference I got 79 FPS in the benchmark with Ulitmate Quality preset.

My frametimes as I said are perfect, I do get occasional hitches from moving around the world but it is not frequent, and I do not have any hitches when just standing around.

I believe two things for why I'm having a much smoother experience compared to others.
1. I am using G-sync
2. I have Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling turned on. Before this setting I never got 100% GPU utilization in games, 99% at best.

Hardware Specs:
Windows 10, Version 2004 (Required for Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling)
2080 TI, 1980 Mhz Core, 7500 Mhz Memory, PCIE 3 x16
6700k, 4.6 GHz all cores
16 GB DDR4 3200 CL14
Game Installed on Crucial MX500 1TB SSD

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, think i'm gonna treat this like Arkham City and pray they eventually fix it before installing this and playing it. Damn buying keys and the lack of refunds that go with that.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
As far as performance goes, I have absolutely butter smooth frametimes, and 100% GPU Utilization, playing at 3440x1440 using the Digital Foundry suggested settings, except Motion Blur off and AA set to Camera Based. V-sync turned off in game, turned on in Nvidia Control Panel.

90+ FPS frequently. I got 98 FPS in the benchmark. For reference I got 79 FPS in the benchmark with Ulitmate Quality preset.

My frametimes as I said are perfect, I do get occasional hitches from moving around the world but it is not frequent, and I do not have any hitches when just standing around.

I believe two things for why I'm having a much smoother experience compared to others.
1. I am using G-sync
2. I have Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling turned on. Before this setting I never got 100% GPU utilization in games, 99% at best.

Hardware Specs:
Windows 10, Version 2004 (Required for Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling)
2080 TI, 1980 Mhz Core, 7500 Mhz Memory, PCIE 3 x16
6700k, 4.5 GHz all cores
16 GB DDR4 3200 CL14
Game Installed on Crucial MX500 1TB SSD
I really think the gpu scheduling helped a lot, i m using it too and the game is really smooth and never stutter

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

RDR 2's draw distance and LoD alone is way more impressive to me than anything in HZD. Like, foilage is great and the art enviromental art is awesome but the PC version actually kinda further expses the weaknesses of the LoD, not to mention the animations - doesn't help that the already not so great stuff (like sidequest facial animations) now is even more jarring due to a bunch of them being locked at 30 fps

its a good looking game but I'd put several above it, even within the open world setting, like RDR 2, Death Stranding or even AC Odyssey which doesn't have foilage nearly as impressive as HZD but the overall quality still feels more consistent.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding or even AC Odyssey which doesn't have foilage nearly as impressive as HZD but the overall quality still feels more consistent.

Opinions 'n stuff but I disagree with the later two choices. I spent 50 hours in Death Stranding and over 90 in AC:O, and both are good looking games. But DS grass pop in and the lack of grass shadows disqualifies it as a a valid comparision candidate for HZD and AC:O has it's moment but foliage amount, draw distance and quality is far behind HZD.

For example: You won't find a scene in both AC:O and especially DS with as much complexity as this:

horizonzerodawn_2020_jbjy6.png

By the way: AC:O is everything, but not a well performing game. Actually I'm getting more consistent performance on ultra with HZD than on Ultra with AC:Odyssey.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I tested this on and off for my Review and it did not change anything in blind performance recorded Tests, i think this is Placebo!
Perhaps it isn't from HAGS, but I wish I could come up with a better reason why so many people are having bad frame pacing.

Here is an example of my frametime graph, and it is not in photo mode or paused, I can even spin the camera around and I don't get any spikes, which oddly makes this game a lot smoother than most other games end up being!

Fmw2Frc.jpg

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Opinions 'n stuff but I disagree with the later two choices. I spent 50 hours in Death Stranding and over 90 in AC:O, and both are good looking games. But DS grass pop in and the lack of grass shadows disqualifies it as a a valid comparision candidate for HZD and AC:O has it's moment but foliage amount, draw distance and quality is far behind HZD.

For example: You won't find a scene in both AC:O and especially DS with as much complexity as this:

horizonzerodawn_2020_jbjy6.png

By the way: AC:O is everything, but not a well performing game. Actually I'm getting more consistent performance on ultra with HZD than on Ultra with AC:Odyssey.
I think in some games like watch dogs 2 or gta V you can push a lot of the grass and Stuff quite or shadow cast Range quite a bit further than hzd.
The problem I still have with the game, even under the concession that it is good looking, is how it scales vs. Ps4 - it still aint scaling right on many GPUs, AMD included. The way a gtx 1060 Performs here honestly corresponds to how I though next gen games might run on Such a gpu!
If you just look at RDNA or Turing, ignore the quality of life and stuttering issues, it looks just like an atypically heavy game. But even then very a typical. It is possible in 1440p on a non turbo 2080 Ti like yours to run into trouble getting 60 fps for GPU saturation reasons at the games default optimised settings. That area you showed off for example...
Considering that 1080p30 Original of the 1.84TF, less than 170 gb/s PS4 is where I always Come back to.

Last edited:

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here is an example of my frametime graph, and it is not in photo mode or paused, I can even spin the camera around and I don't get any spikes, which oddly makes this game a lot smoother than most other games end up being!

Frame pacing is fine for me during normal gameplay. It's even fine while recording in one of the games most taxing areas.

But I still have I have stutters when:

- The UI gets updated, especially a quest objective progressed.
- Sometimes before or after a cutscene
- When opening a door (e.g. during the child aloy cave sequence)

And I doubt there is any setting that we, as users, can tune to improve them.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you just look at RDNA or Turing, ignore the quality of life and stuttering issues, it looks just like an atypically heavy game. But even then very a typical. It is possible in 1440p on a non turbo 2080 Ti like yours to run into trouble getting 60 fps for GPU saturation reasons at the games default optimised settings. That area you showed off for example...
Consideribg that 1080p30 Original of the 1.84TF, less than 170 gb/s PS4 is where I always Come back to.

I agree. But people are constantly comparing HZD and DS. They do so for o obvious reasons and while it is fair from an optimization pov, I don't think it is fair to expect the same performance. Just because DS is able to run at 90fps+ at 4k on a 2080Ti, doesn't mean that HZD has to do the same.
What I'm reading out of reddit and a couple forums is that people are disappointed because there is a performance delta between HZD and DS. But that's not the reason why HZD is a bad port.

And bringing AC:O into this. I don't think it's a well optimized game either. Getting consistent performance out of it would be worthy for one of odysseus tasks.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought HZD looked really good for a ps4 game , especially use of heavy foliage and super contrasty color /art direction.
But personally i never liked how character faces animated and overall seeing snowy maintain and lush forests in the same frame felt so unrealistic to me , not to mention really weird day and night cycle. At the end of the day the game world never felt like an actual world , despite realyl fantastic cutting edge tech used in the game . RDR 2 and even W3 despite being 5 years old and not looking as good in nearly every area still felt like an actual lived in world with its settlements and cities , with its npcs and forgotten abandoned castles .

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I agree. But people are constantly comparing HZD and DS. They do so for o obvious reasons and while it is fair from an optimization pov, I don't think it is fair to expect the same performance. Just because DS is able to run at 90fps+ at 4k on a 2080Ti, doesn't mean that HZD has to do the same.
What I'm reading out of reddit and a couple forums is that people are disappointed because there is a performance delta between HZD and DS. But that's not the reason why HZD is a bad port.

And bringing AC:O into this. I don't think it's a well optimized game either. Getting consistent performance out of would be worthy for one of odysseus tasks.

For the record I wasn't talking about optimization. ACO is not particularly well optimized, for sure. I was talking strictly about visuals. The general scale, vistas, diversity in landscapes - I was more impressed by that than HZD's visuals which seemingly focus a lot more on your immediate surroundings.

Death Stranding is quite barren but it probably has the best landscape geometry of any game I'v eseen and the character models are absolutely incredible. It's a "minimalistic" game by design but it looks absolutely stunning.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Imo. the game looks impressive. I haven't played RDR2 but HZD for more than 3 years old PS4 game still holds up great!

Rykane

Prophet of Truth
Nov 22, 2019
Anyone else getting weird movement with keyboard and mouse? If I leave the mouse alone and the camera still the character seems to run diagonally instead of straight forward, It's very weird. So to compensate you need to move the camera at a slight angle in order to move straight forward. I ended up having to refund the game because it was so annoying to deal with and I didn't want to move to a controller to fix it.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Played around 5 hours so far, used the Digital Foundry recommended settings and am getting mostly locked 60fps at 1440p (i7 6700k, 2070 Super, 16gb ram), with very rare drops into the high 50s. Having a lot of fun, great game (glad I held off on playing the PS4 version).

Still, I had a lot of trouble getting it to work initially though, the game kept outputting a 720p signal to my TV despite setting the resolution to 1440p. Eventually I figured out that setting the game to dedicated fullscreen was the culprit - I switched to borderless and ate the performance hit, and the output issue resolved itself.

Also ran into the nasty bug that causes the game to appear like it's still running even after quitting to desktop. It appears to be linked to big picture mode, I couldn't reproduce it when I subsequently ran the game from regular desktop steam.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up with 7 crashes over 4hrs of play which....sucks cause this is my first time playing, and when I actually get to, I am enjoying it

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
For the record I wasn't talking about optimization. ACO is not particularly well optimized, for sure. I was talking strictly about visuals. The general scale, vistas, diversity in landscapes - I was more impressed by that than HZD's visuals which seemingly focus a lot more on your immediate surroundings.
Agreed. I think HZD has otherworldly landscapes that work well on its favor but otherwise it doesn't look as good.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Also ran into the nasty bug that causes the game to appear like it's still running even after quitting to desktop. It appears to be linked to big picture mode, I couldn't reproduce it when I subsequently ran the game from regular desktop steam.
Nah, had it happen in desktop mode to. It's related to the Steam overlay I think, it was still hooked into the game when I looked into it. Seem to be a rather inconsistent issue though.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
It just stays running in the background? Won't that rack up playtime, possibly putting you over steam refund eligibility?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Posted in the DF thread;
Tried to play this with my younger kids (4 & 7) for awhile, in a safe area at the start when hunting for some watcher parts. They loved it! Especially my 4yo son, he was jumping in the seat lol
Sony should just drop the bandits and blood all together and go full on kids friendly with this. Robots and dinosaurs - Can't get any cooler for a kid!

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm able to get a smooth 30fps with a mix of medium to ultra settings on my RX 570. That's fine for me

Really tempted to get a better GPU (looking at a RTX 2060 Super) but not sure if I should wait until the console prices are announced or not, or the cyberpunk specs

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm able to get a smooth 30fps with a mix of medium to ultra settings on my RX 570. That's fine for me

Really tempted to get a better GPU (looking at a RTX 2060 Super) but not sure if I should wait until the console prices are announced or not, or the cyberpunk specs
nvidia is supposed to have new cards soon which will be better than their current offerings and hopefully reduce the price of their current offerings, especially second hand

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

And bringing AC:O into this. I don't think it's a well optimized game either. Getting consistent performance out of it would be worthy for one of odysseus tasks.

But they both run at 1080p30
Unless HZD is a bajillion times more optimized than DS on PS4 and manages to do more with less, I don't see why it's not comparable

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Really hate the shimmering on the grass, tress and hair.
Other than that, am using DF settings and getting around 60 fps with 2080 at 70% of 4k.

Having more fun than I thought I would, the arrows on pc feel great with higher fps, m/kb with no aim assist, and numbers switching (disliked using arrows on ps4).
Somehow in my mind, the game looked better when I played it on ps4, it's not like it aged badly, but I think we've seen some pretty amazing stuff the past couple of years so it's not hitting the same.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But they both run at 1080p30
Unless HZD is a bajillion times more optimized than DS on PS4 and manages to do more with less, I don't see why it's not comparable

Something went wrong with the quoting there.

The problem is that HZD and DS are locked to thirty fps and not running on average at thirty. For all we know HZD could be running at thrity-six fps on average unlocked and DS at forty-five fps.
We also don't know what is holding each version back from reaching enough of a performance headroom to be viable for a sixty fps lock.
Maybe DS could easily reach sixty fps on the GPU, but the old, weak CPU is holding it back? And HZD is more GPU limited?

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Was very tempted to pre-order this and download it before release, glad I didn't. I hope they fix it.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Yup, RDR2 is on another level compared to this game visually. No idea what people were talking about. At the very least it looks as good as, or slightly better than, AC: Odyssey.