• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
How could they fuck up this badly? Was it confirmed that the studio who already did trash ports in the past programmed the port? This does not bode well for potential future releases. Shame.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I exit the game but Steam still says: "running". Help please! My PC is so slow.
Edit: There is "stop" instead of "play" on Steam but it's not doing anything.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Karak's post-patch update:

There is hope for this game.
I think the initial performance issues have created a hyperbole and people (mostly those who wanted the game to fail in the first place) are just running with it.
Outside of the 30fps animations mostly everything is fixable. The game isn't ready for prime time and is unoptimized. But reading post at Era make it sound like the worst port in PC history.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
Just had my second crash in the menus before even starting the game. Watching that unskippable intro scene for the third time, guess theres no save file yet. What a shit show

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I exit the game but Steam still says: "running". Help please! My PC is so slow.
Edit: There is "stop" instead of "play" on Steam but it's not doing anything.
Same problem i had after exiting the game the first time. Second time it was fine, but i was only ingame for a few seconds to test.
To fix, expand the Steam process and the Horizon.exe will be listed under there, then end the task.

Looks like they not only provided us a new game, but also a mem-test tool to go with it.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Outside of the 30fps animations mostly everything is fixable. The game isn't ready for prime time and is unoptimized.
I agree. I think this is fixable, but just should not have launched like this. A month of waiting or more to not have these problems would have made me enjoy it much more.

Well - that and the odd pascal and older GCN scaling could use a look at.

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
Oh crap, Guerrilla must not be pleased at all with this.

Such a shame, my GOTG deserves the best!

If I were them I'd just kidnap Durante and have him fix it quickly. :D

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Oh dear, awful implementation of Steam Input that I've never seen before. You can't even switch to other control options, so you are stick with dual stick standard game pad functionality, or M&KB only.

I'm purposely going to map everything as M&KB just to see if that can work

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I think the initial performance issues have created a hyperbole and people (mostly those who wanted the game to fail in the first place) are just running with it.
Outside of the 30fps animations mostly everything is fixable. The game isn't ready for prime time and is unoptimized. But reading post at Era make it sound like the worst port in PC history.

Maybe that is the case with some comments, but...
30fps locked animations
"mirror" bars for widescreen cut scenes
stuttering during UI updates
... i think it is fair to say that it is a "cheap" console port at its current state.

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
I agree. I think this is fixable, but just should not have launched like this. A month of waiting or more to not have these problems would have made me enjoy it much more.

Well - that and the odd pascal and older GCN scaling could use a look at.

Hope you do another test in case they release a significant patch in the future!

brutalian

Oct 26, 2017
0JNFqp6.png

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Steam denied my refund request because I bought the game more than two weeks ago. :|

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this actually runs fine for me, i'm shocked. lower resolution than i would expect but i only get stuttering when the stupid quest thing updates and it's just a tiny moment.

i was expecting much, much worse on a gtx 1080. i can basically either pick 1080p60 or 4k30.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone notice one way or the other if the downhill approach to (and a lot of the surrounding vistas looking onto) Meridian still has the distracting pop-in for big parts of the city's architecture? That was something I assumed was just a fluke when I played a bit on a base PS4, and during my Pro playthrough, I was surprised to see them really aggressively show up there too.

I'd hope at least that would be cleaned up on the Steam version.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
So you preorder a digital game that you just now could play and will not get a refund because you payed 2 weeks ago for it?
...That is kinda funny, sorry.
I didn't know that is a thing.
Apparently that's the case, yeah. I sent another request a different way, trying to explain that I literally could not play the game until today because it was a preorder that unlocked this morning. Really hope I'm not stuck with this, I've never had problems getting a Steam refund before today.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I haven't done any benchmark yet or even checked frametimes, but I'm very happy with performance so far. No crashes, no stuttering and no artifacts.

Mostly 60fps @ 1440p on a GTX 1080 + i7 6700K + 32GB RAM + Windows 10 2004, with these settings:

1151640_20200807184655tjf8.png

Maybe the issues are more rampant in the latter parts of the game? I'm about to do the Proving.

Edit: Some early screenshots:

1151640_2020080718410epkvd.png

1151640_2020080718523ixj0g.png

Last edited:

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've not run any benchmark or even checked frametimes, but I'm very happy with performance so far. No crashes, no stuttering and no artifacts.

Mostly 60fps @ 1440p with a GTX 1080 + i7 6700K, with these settings:

Maybe the issues are more rampant in the latter parts of the game? I'm about to do the Proving.
60fps at 1440p on a 1080? 👀 what are your gpu clocks?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Steam denied my refund request because I bought the game more than two weeks ago. :|
I would get back in touch with them. According to Steam's refund policy, the "two week return period" begins starting on the game's release date, so today:
REFUNDS ON PRE-PURCHASED TITLES
When you pre-purchase a title on Steam (and have paid for the title in advance), you can request a refund at any time prior to release of that title. The standard 14-day/two-hour refund period also applies, starting on the game's release date.
store.steampowered.com

Steam Refunds

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Apparently that's the case, yeah. I sent another request a different way, trying to explain that I literally could not play the game until today because it was a preorder that unlocked this morning. Really hope I'm not stuck with this, I've never had problems getting a Steam refund before today.

It doesn't sound right.
I never preordered a game on steam, but also never had a problem with a refund.
Maybe it is to early for the refund because the game just came out a couple of hours ago?
This can't be right.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I would get back in touch with them. According to Steam's refund policy, the "two week return period" begins starting on the game's release date, so today:

store.steampowered.com

Steam Refunds

Thanks for this. I feel more confident now that I'll get my money back.

It doesn't sound right.
I never preordered a game on steam, but also never had a problem with a refund.
Maybe it is to early for the refund because the game just came out a couple of hours ago?
This can't be right.
Probably some system issue. It definitely happened though, here's my proof lol:

fluffy pillow

Sep 12, 2018
Ryzen 3600, RX580, running at 1440p with Alex's settings (except I think I left clouds on medium).

It's fine! Mostly 40+ fps running around the valley. Running 100% render scale but it still looks pretty good at 80% in case I need to drop it later on. Only weird thing I noticed is some slight flickering in the mist in the cave right at the beginning of the game.

pi2zqsD.jpg

Performance patches would be nice but it's more than enough for me to play right now.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I've not run any benchmark or even checked frametimes, but I'm very happy with performance so far. No crashes, no stuttering and no artifacts.

Mostly 60fps @ 1440p with a GTX 1080 + i7 6700K, with these settings:

How distracting are the 30 FPS animations when running the game at 60 FPS?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having an issue where young Aloy's feather in her hair is rendering VERY strangely in the opening in-engine cutscene. it's fine once I get control. Looks like a driver issue but I"m up to date. Anyone else? 2080 Ti, driver version 451.67.

In other news, oh god give me a way to black out the side bars when viewing cutscenes in ultrawide. The current mirror/blur thing is so distracting.

Seven of Nine

Oct 27, 2017
I returned the game due to it not allowing me to set my controller gyro to mouse or mouse like joystick.

Performance isn't great either.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Okay just got to adult Aloy now, and so far performance at 1440p with DF's recommended settings is giving me 65-70fps (2070 Super).

I might carry on.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The game could certainly be running better but I am getting a mostly solid 60 fps @1440p using Alex's settings on my RTX 2060 but I keep getting weird graphical glitches forcing 16xAF through the Nvidia control panel.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Using Dictators optimized settings @ 3440 x 1440 I get "locked" 60 FPS. Occasional stutter drops FPS to 58, but then bounces back to 60.

Shaders at places are totally fucked and some trees are missing textures (they are just solid black) so I will verify files or just do full reinstall as downloading 70GB is... 15 minutes for me.

Spec
i7 9700k @ 4.9 GHz
16GB
2080Ti with latest drivers

W1wA5vM.png

t9tM6zT.png

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
60fps at 1440p on a 1080? 👀 what are your gpu clocks?
It's running stock clocks (1823MHz boost clock, 1251MHz memory).

I haven't done a proper test so I can't share any frametimes or min framerate yet, but the times I checked the framerate it fluctuated between 45-60 depending on the area. So it's certainly not locked, but it's performing well so far. ;)

How distracting are the 30 FPS animations when running the game at 60 FPS?
I haven't noticed anything yet, but I might later on as I play more.

Do we know what kind of animations are locked at 30, or are all of them locked at 30? I recently played Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Evie's cape is locked to 30 in that one which was very noticeable to me.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Ryzen 3600, RX580, running at 1440p with Alex's settings (except I think I left clouds on medium).

It's fine! Mostly 40+ fps running around the valley. Running 100% render scale but it still looks pretty good at 80% in case I need to drop it later on. Only weird thing I noticed is some slight flickering in the mist in the cave right at the beginning of the game.

pi2zqsD.jpg

Performance patches would be nice but it's more than enough for me to play right now.

I have a similar PC. How's the performance at 1080p?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I had some weird rendering issues at first. Models weren't displaying properly and it looked like a PS1 game. Changing graphic settings between borderless and full screen temporarily fixed it, but there were still some issues.

Restarted the game and now it's completely fixed. I don't have the greatest PC in the world (RX 570 and a Ryzen 1400), but I'm quite happy with the performance I'm getting on original settings. The game is absolutely gorgeous.