• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As soon as you get past the kid Aloy section and into the open world its stutter-ville for me.

3700x / RTX2080

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Still working, and then I have possible plans for the evening.
Probably only gonna mess around with benchmarks later this evening.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
HZD supports Steam Input support, so use whatever the hell controllers and control schemes you like.
The default config and setup however seems pretty poor imo, but that's the good thing with Steam Input where you can do what you want.
No descriptors for actions, instead just compatible buttons suggests this isn't going to work as well as hoped.

I'll investigate how flexible this is as I haven't seen a Steam Input supported game not using actions.

NtfhrFN.png

Setting up as Mouse+Gamepad for now, and will test it out

CLzYMm6.png

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
From reading the Steam reviews it seems like besides the performance issues the game sure likes to crash too. Most negative reviews mention crashes

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I've only been able to run the benchmark so far but it seems to be inline with the announced system requirements. I'm obviously getting bottlenecked by my FX-8150 but still get around 44 fps.

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Two crashes without any reason. Just mention to "coredumbs" folder and send the info to Guerrilla

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The stuttering happens every single time I scan something (body, audio log, etc.).

I'm refunding this and getting Control instead. I'll get it again when/if they fix all of this. What a letdown.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only been able to run the benchmark so far but it seems to be inline with the announced system requirements. I'm obviously getting bottlenecked by my FX-8150 but still get around 44 fps.

the benchmark scene is one of the easier to run locations in the game, so you will most likely be averaging much lower

bongpig

Jan 30, 2019
Dunno about you guys - but for me, in game vsync absolutely ruins performance. On my modest setup ( 2600 rtx + i5 9400 ) the benchmark ran horribly on 'prefer quality' settings. Pure stutter fest. However, disabling in-game vsync and frame limiter, and turning on vsync in the driver settings, the benchmark ran right through from beginning to end, buttery smooth. The benchmark results say it dropped down to 25fps, but to my eyes, I didn't see a single hitch.

Its weird. This isn't the first time ive seen a game perform crap when using in-game vsync over driver vsync. But yeah - be keen to hear if any of you notice a difference between the two in this game.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Dunno about you guys - but for me, in game vsync absolutely ruins performance. On my modest setup ( 2600 rtx + i5 9400 ) the benchmark ran horribly on 'prefer quality' settings. Pure stutter fest. However, disabling in-game vsync and frame limiter, and turning on vsync in the driver settings, the benchmark ran right through from beginning to end, buttery smooth. The benchmark results say it dropped down to 25fps, but to my eyes, I didn't see a single hitch.

Its weird. This isn't the first time ive seen a game perform crap when using in-game vsync over driver vsync. But yeah - be keen to hear if any of you notice a difference between the two in this game.
The one thing to be careful with with driver vsync, is that it should be double buffered - so you need a very nice overhead on your GPU there.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding has that funny thing in Steam where using controllers (mainly XB1 IIRC) can tank performance like 30%. Does HZD have the same issue? Curious if there's a difference if players switch to mouse/keyboard.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
71 fps average on the benchmark for me at 3840x1600 ultrawide using DF's optimized settings. Not as bad as I was expecting. I'll still wait for some patches and probably my new build before replaying. CPU just can't keep up nowadays.

h7G59cN.jpg

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
What is the game doing when it says optimizing based on your hardware? It has my 9900k pegged at 100% and my temperatures are dancing around 90 C. My CPU is custom watercooled lol, I've never seen it go past 70 C before unless I was stress testing.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Scary times for me when i see the Devs make their own configs for the steam controller.
HZD supports Steam Input support, so use whatever the hell controllers and control schemes you like.
The default config and setup however seems pretty poor imo, but that's the good thing with Steam Input where you can do what you want.
No descriptors for actions, instead just compatible buttons suggests this isn't going to work as well as hoped.

I'll investigate how flexible this is as I haven't seen a Steam Input supported game not using actions.

NtfhrFN.png

Setting up as Mouse+Gamepad for now, and will test it out

CLzYMm6.png
hmmmm when you choose a different settings other than the devs the steam controller still works ingame? I tried using base steam control settings with mouse and the game doesn't respond to these settings.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
What is the game doing when it says optimizing based on your hardware? It has my 9900k pegged at 100% and my temperatures are dancing around 90 C. My CPU is custom watercooled lol, I've never seen it go past 70 C before unless I was stress testing.
Are you referring to the shader compilation process? Because that's what it's doing then. Though I don't know if shader compilation is CPU based.

May 30, 2018
Dictator - is there a way to confirm my pci-e bidrectional bandwidth is good to go for proper setup like you mentioned in your video? i didn't build my pc (shameful, i know)

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's compiling shaders

It used a lot of RAM and CPU for me

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
My game crash to black screen when I tried to exit the game and now it's playing the unskippable intro again.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Dictator - is there a way to confirm my pci-e bidrectional bandwidth is good to go for proper setup like you mentioned in your video? i didn't build my pc (shameful, i know)
Safest bet is to check the manual of your motherboard and verify if the GPU is plugged into a PCIe 3.0/4.0 x16 slot. You should be able to find the bus info in your GPU utility software as well (Nvidia Control Panel > Help > System Information for NV, not sure about AMD).

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy lots of folks reporting even better performance than I had on my rig. Crashes suck for those getting them

May 30, 2018
Safest bet is to check the manual of your motherboard and verify if the GPU is plugged into a PCIe 3.0/4.0 x16 slot. You should be able to find the bus info in your GPU utility software as well (Nvidia Control Panel > Help > System Information for NV, not sure about AMD).
H1BlPjc.png

looks like that matches then, so i assume good? also, is there a concerning difference between 3.0 vs 4.0?

bongpig

Jan 30, 2019
The one thing to be careful with with driver vsync, is that it should be double buffered - so you need a very nice overhead on your GPU there.

That's the thing. I had plenty of overhead. When using the in-game vsync, both my GPU and CPU were on 75% or less, and yet the framerate was well below 50 most of the time. With driver vsync on, the GPU got up to 85% in places, but the framerate didn't suffer for it.

I might run it at a locked 50hz to give me a bit more wiggle room for the inevitable in-game sections that are heavier than the benchmark. We'll see how it goes.

Side note: the benchmark is not a good advert for the game at all. Quite frankly - it looks shit. Even on max settings.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Performance has been buttery smooth on my end, but I'm getting crazy model glitches. Something's bugged with the LOD system as walkers explode the second they walk a few feet away. Played for 30 minutes, no crashes so far.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, there's definitely a memory leak. 16GB of RAM and when i exited the game i noticed the game was still running (under the Steam process) and RAM usage was 80% and increasing.

Definitely doublecheck that the game isn't still running and leaking memory after you exit it. Other than that, i get around 50fps average up to the point where i start playing as adult Aloy, at 1440p using a 1070/i7 4770k and the Alex optimized settings above.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't have any overhead as I play 4k max settings, but BlurBusters says to enable driver vsync to make Gsync work properly. So now I'm confused on what to do.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Almost 30 min for the shader compilation and the game crashed at 92% are you fucking kidding me?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Scary times for me when i see the Devs make their own configs for the steam controller.

hmmmm when you choose a different settings other than the devs the steam controller still works ingame? I tried using base steam control settings with mouse and the game doesn't respond to these settings.

Confirmed, no simultaneous KB/M with Gamepad. Very disappointing, but I suppose I should have guessed as much looking at the messy implementation. I'll toy around with it a bit more but guessing mouse-like joystick will be preferred once tweaked, or worst case, map the whole controller to M&KB.
This is a bit of a first from my experience, of a game with some form of Steam Input support, but somehow, bad support!

Kyberpunk

Oct 28, 2017
The game wouldn't stop running in the background after quitting for nearly 5 minutes, had to kill it in Task Manager. I was tempted to double-dip (I got over halfway through Death Stranding on PS4 and I've enjoyed catching up & passing that mark on PC, so I was expecting to do the same here) but I don't feel like I'd enjoy playing this in its current state.

Refunding and saving the cash for Marvel's Avengers if I enjoy the open beta, I think.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
What is the reason for the initial shader compilations with these PS4 ports? Is it that wildly different than a normal PC game?
I'd want to know the reasons, too, although there are only two games I know of that do it to these extreme extents: CODMW and HZD – and it's totally annoying. I don't really buy the "performance reason". If it would be necessary to greatly improve performance I guess every game would do that? I'm not sure, hence I'd like to learn more about this. Most games I play run just fine and perform great without the need to compile shaders for minutes.