• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
HZD was one of the best looking games on the PS4...I'm wondering if they added anything for the PC version...ray tracing?

It probably won't have any more or less features than Death Stranding will on PC, since it's the same engine. That game will be a good indication of what to expect.

I'm really only expecting frame rate to be the biggest change with this version. The PS4 Pro version was already running close enough to 4K to not really make a difference, and I'm not expecting there would be much to differentiate in texture quality either. But damn, H:ZD will be nice at 60FPS.

I'm fairly confident that this is an experiment by PlayStation to take advantage of a confluence of circumstances -- Death Stranding has produced a Decima Engine optimised for consumer-grade PCs; Horizon 2 is in development. I think PlayStation only sees this as marketing for a PS5 killer-app.

However, with the surety of MLB The Show going multiplatform, with the expectation that Dreams will follow, both for separate circumstances isolated from the conditions that, for example, The Last of Us or Ghost of Tsushima are releasing in, there is only rightly going to be speculation for other titles, even if there may be unjustified expectation as a result.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
When you think of it, back then, Death Stranding was supposedly never coming to PC once they choose their engine, Decima, since it was an engine from a Sony 1st party studio, on a AAA 1st party title, Horizon Zero Dawn.

Now here we are, Death Stranding coming to PC AND HZD coming too.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Awesome! Not crazy for it but will buy to help Bloodborne and God Of War happen faster.

Pretty sad that they had to include that "to put some minds at ease" part.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
This thread shows off an interesting psychological aspect of the community.

Many warmly accept the game on PC due to the critical acclaim and additionally nearly everyone is port begging other Sony titles, but a common mention is that they have never owned or played the game or the PS system.

The Sony brand has affected them enough to make their heartbeats in flavor but they would never to actually support the PS console it self.

Many PC gamers want to play acclaimed consoles games but not buy additional console hardware really isn't a particular extraordinary or surprising revelation

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Many warmly accept the game on PC due to the critical acclaim and additionally nearly everyone is port begging other Sony titles, but a common mention is that they have never owned or played the game or the PS system.

The Sony brand has affected them enough to make their heartbeats in flavor but they would never to actually support the PS console it self.

People might be interested in a game but not to the point of buying a 400 bucks hardware and would play it on their platform with better performances ?

Mmmh... Interesting. You might be onto something big here. It deserves more thinking.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017

This isnt true for me.

I have owned and completed loads of the Sony exclusives;

God of War
Horizon
Last of Us
Bloodborne

But I still want them all on PC to get better frame rates, resolutions and potential cool mods.

Also why are people so concerned about how much money Sony is or isn't getting by selling on PC? Are you stockholders? Why should we as consumers care about Sony's profit line?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
This isnt true for me.

I have owned and completed loads of the Sony exclusives;

God of War
Horizon
Last of Us
Bloodborne

But I still want them all on PC to get better frame rates, resolutions and potential cool mods.

Also why are people so concerned about how much money Sony is or isn't getting by selling on PC? Are you stockholders? Why should we as consumers care about Sony's profit line?
Exactly! I love all those series but want to see and experience them on the best possible hardware possible, to see their full potential. Breath of the Wild is my favorite game of all time but after beating it a few times on Switch I couldn't go back to that version after emulating it in 4K 60fps on my PC with the ability to alter colors and weather etc.

Thinking of it in terms of film and tv, I absolutely loved watching The Mandalorian on Disney+ on my 4K set, but I would absolutely jump at the chance to experience it in IMAX 3D laser projection.

Not that it would happen, but I'd be over the moon to see BotW get an official PC release so even more people can experience my favorite game.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Exactly! I love all those series but want to see and experience them on the best possible hardware possible, to see their full potential.

Until PC goes all in on HDR and sorts it out, for me, personally, it won't be "full potential". Same with the overall experience (ease of use, starting games from my armchair without a keyboard and mouse, suspend/resume, etc).

I know I'm in the minority here, and this comment has nothing to do with porting Sony titles over, just my frustration with certain aspects of PC gaming.

I was thinking the other day if Sony ported all of its future games to the PC on day one, would I rather play them on the PC or on PlayStation, and I realized it would still be PlayStation.

BTW, before you all attack me - understand that this view, actually, goes in favor of more PC ports.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell does "make their heartbeats in flavor" even mean

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until PC goes all in on HDR and sorts it out, for me, personally, it won't be "full potential". Same with the overall experience (ease of use, starting games from my armchair without a keyboard and mouse, suspend/resume, etc).

I know I'm in the minority here, and this comment has nothing to do with porting Sony titles over, just my frustration with certain aspects of PC gaming.

I was thinking the other day if Sony ported all of its future games to the PC on day one, would I rather play them on the PC or on PlayStation, and I realized it would still be PlayStation.

BTW, before you all attack me - understand that this view, actually, goes in favor of more PC ports.
If anything it further showcases the point that PC ports are a net positive for Sony since there's always people that just prefer console gaming and don't care about playing on PC and vice versa.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
that guy is obviously a character, this is how you get followers, subs and shit.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I remember playing it and wishing it had a higher frame rate / resolution. I also didn't finish it, as the PS4 Pro died, was out of warranty, and I just didn't use the PS4 often enough to replace it. This makes me very happy. The possibilities of other 1st party titles is also pretty exciting.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Some points I've repeated ad nauseam in other threads but will do so yet again here. Food for thought.

1. Digital distribution, even on a competing storefront (Steam), is still extremely valuable due to avoiding manufacturing and shipping costs and retail cuts. It's not perfect. Ideally you buy directly from the developer (Sony and Microsoft net the greatest returns buying from their relative stores). But manufacturing and distribution alone is very expensive, and digital circumnavigates these costs.

2. Microsoft/Sony make little money on hardware sales. Bulk revenue is predominantly generated by software sales and subscription fees. In fact, hardware itself is often sold to at no gain or even a loss. Nintendo restructured their entire console business post GameCube to avoid this, the Wii selling at a profit. Business strategy does however involve seeding consoles in to homes, as enticed customers even if bringing little revenue do exist as potential revenue.

3. PC and console ecosystems are vastly different. They provide distinct end user experiences with their own unique appeal. They are largely not interchangable by virtue of their function, even if there is a small percentage of people who will give up one for the other for more appealing software or features. Generally, consoles appeal to accessibility and user friendly experiences, one dedicated to gaming and entertainment media with little complex overhead. PCs appeal to power users and multitaskers who use the platform not just for gaming, but also for a large assortment of other functions, ranging from unique and gimmicky to integral (eg: web browsing), some of which factor in gaming and many of which do not.

4. Microsoft and Sony ecosystems are largely interchanagble. This is why the two are in specifically direct competition. Microsoft want the Sony audience. Sony want Microsoft. Exclusives serve the purpose of baiting people from one platform to the other. Differences do exist in general superficialities, like controller design, online infrastructure, etc. But in this day and age, and for some time now, on a surface level they both provide the same degree of accessibility and usability for the average person, and target the exact same markets.

5. Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo as console manufacturers, and Valve/Epic/CDPR as storefront owners, make enormous profit of all software sales on their platform/service. Bulk revenue comes from all games sold on their service/platform as they receive a cut from the entire library. Every platform's library is, by a vast percentage, largely made up of third party software not owned by the aforementioned first parties. Most games on Xbox were not developed by Microsoft. Most game on PlayStation had nothing to do with Sony. And when I say most, I really, truly mean by far and large most. But to the benefit of Microsoft and Sony, they get a cut of each and every one of these games sold.

6. Ergo, long term profits for Microsoft and Sony come from people buying lots of software for their platforms, especially software they didn't develop. These companies cost hundreds of millions of dollars in operation every year, and that's just wages and ongoing projects, not to mention offsetting costs of R&D that lead to the development of these platforms. And so, for these reasons, Microsoft and Sony want you to buy into their "ecosystem". They want you to be an "Xbox gamer" who buys as many games on Xbox as possible, and vice versa for PlayStation.

7. The point I've made a thousand times now, and is important to remember, is that people who buy platforms only for exclusives, and only ever buy exclusives, are a poor source of revenue. The customer sees themselves as supporting the platform holder, buying a console that is perceived as expensive and a good batch of games. But relative to company costs and revenue generated from a single customer, these people are low value. A person who vastly prefers Xbox One for whatever reasons but also buys a PlayStation 4 and over the course of seven whole years only buys ten pieces of software has given Sony very, very little money. It seems like they have supported Sony, but they are a terrible source of revenue because they have not bought into the ecosystem.

8. PC ecosystem is not owned by a platform holder, it is dominated by competing storefronts. This, combined with the aforementioned individuality of the platform versus consoles makes it extremely difficult to transition PC gamers to the console ecosystem. There will always be people who are susceptible; most are not. PC gamers greatly tempted by Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo exclusives are more likely to still purchase the hardware, and still own the platforms, but will fall into the group of people who only ever buy exclusives. Many don't subscribe to online fees. Many don't use the services. Few are buying multiplatform titles on the hardware. They are a dreadful source of sustainable revenue, even if they own the hardware and buy the latest games from Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Sony Santa Monica, and everyone else whenever they come out, because this still only amounts to a 2 - 5 titles a year. All the while they buy everything else, enmass, on PC.

9. Microsoft transitioned to PC for the reasons that should be obvious; if you cannot transition the market, go to the market. Far more money is to be made in the PC ecosystem from a combination of people who A) would have bought the hardware for exclusives, and B) will never buy the hardware but would buy the exclusives if available, than just group A) alongside the trivial revenue generated from the hardware sale. Porting to PlayStation is silly, as it's a directly competing to ecosystem. Porting to PC nets additional revenue from a market of people who want the games but refuse to buy console.

10. Does this impact consoles sales? The data isn't hard yet but indicators suggest no. Why? Because the notion that the PC/console hardware ecosystems are not interchangable works both ways. Majority of PC gamers wont find consoles appealing. And majority of console players wont find PCs appealing. PCs are more accessible and user friendly than they ever have been, but they're still aggressively trumped by consoles as an immediate plug-and-play entertainment device. A vast majority of console players are not packing up their Xbox and PlayStation for PC. They're not interested.

11. There are a multitude of other factors to consider in this situation, but a lot of them are ambiguous or subjective. Arguments can be made for console identity and damage of branding in marketing by multiplatform titles, but this is an emotional argument and evidence has demonstrated this is not necessarily the case in other industries. Arguments can be made that this is an attempt to entice PC gamers to buy the PlayStation 5, and that may be true and it may actually work, but there's no data to suggest it'll have them buy into the ecosystem which is the most important factor of all. It's still new territory for Microsoft but it appears to have been successful for them so far, and they continue to pursue this business model. And so, I am firmly of the belief this is Sony testing the same.

BONUS NUMBER. As a side, what we're seeing here and understanding the console business method should highlight why Nintendo do what they do. Up to and including the GameCube Nintendo was competing directly with Sony and Microsoft. This meant producing an expensive console likely sold at a loss (or break even at best), and reliant on people buying into the ecosystem, thus purchasing a lot of software, to float the company and production costs. The GameCube ultimately faltered as Sony and Microsoft gained such aggressive foothold in the standard industry model that the financial risk of following the same pattern was too costly for Nintendo. The Wii was a shift; a cheaper console using outdated hardware economically viable to manufacture and ship, priced at an appealing entry point, and sold as profit-per-unit. All the while also targeting a "blue ocean" ecosystem, one secondary to the status quo. This meant that not only did they make money every single time a unit was picked up, but the software library as a whole appealed to a new and secondary demographic, building a new ecosystem with its own sustainable revenue from both people who only owned a Wii and those who owned it as a secondary system. It was, on reflection, absolute genius business and shaped their future.

Sorry for the length.

I'm not sorry.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Awesome! Not crazy for it but will buy to help Bloodborne and God Of War happen faster.

I would love those games to hit PC at some point. Just can't bring myself to play the Bloodborne DLC because of the bad performance and stopped GoW because it wasn't feeling that good.

But I honestly don't think they'll do it. Making their best games available on other platforms may lessen the value proposition of their consoles - at least that's what I think is Sony's mindset .

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Guys, I know it's just a game, but please remember that the phrase "it's just a game" is such a weak mindset. You are ok with what happened, losing, imperfection of a craft. When you stop getting angry after losing, you've lost twice.

There's always something to learn, and always room for improvement, never settle.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I would love those games to hit PC at some point. Just can't bring myself to play the Bloodborne DLC because of the bad performance and stopped GoW because it wasn't feeling that good.

But I honestly don't think they'll do it. Making their best games available on other platforms may lessen the value proposition of their consoles - at least that's what I think is Sony's mindset .
I'd argue that Horizon is one of their best games. It's a very good game.

Oct 27, 2017

Can't say I'm all that concerned about Sony's profits (this will just increase their profits and exposure, really). My only real concern would be Sony transitioning to a future where they don't release consoles anymore and just become a streaming or subscription service, or start releasing their games only on PC or whatever. Largely because I have no room for a PC in my apartment, and no desire to game on PC either, tbh. Consoles just provide that ease of use I prefer. A streaming only future would be quite a few years into the future anyway, though.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
7. The point I've made a thousand times now, and is important to remember, is that people who buy platforms only for exclusives, and only ever buy exclusives, are a poor source of revenue. The customer sees themselves as supporting the platform holder, buying a console that is perceived as expensive and a good batch of games. But relative to company costs and revenue generated from a single customer, these people are low value. A person who vastly prefers Xbox One for whatever reasons but also buys a PlayStation 4 and over the course of seven whole years only buys ten pieces of software has given Sony very, very little money. It seems like they have supported Sony, but they are a terrible source of revenue because they have not bought into the ecosystem.

Fantastic point.

Status
Not open for further replies.