• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Yep the writing is on the wall that PC will just end up getting the majority of games so no reason for me to purchase another console. Being able to play a year or so earlier isn't near enough of an incentive, especially when you know you will get the superior experience later on anyway.
Horizon was released in early 2017 lol. And you don't "know" that these games will come out on PC.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Hulst doesn't rule out more first-party games coming to PC
giphy.gif

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news for PC folks. I think people who game on PlayStation shouldn't be mad since they got to experience it first, 3 years earlier than everyone else. Now if you're still sad about it coming to another platform, you shouldn't be. More money for Sony, more awesome games like Horizon down the pipeline.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
For a game that sold over 15M copies on PS4, only selling 1M on PC would be under performing to a pretty huge degree. I am speculating that such a result would be beneath Sony's interest in terms of pursuing more PC ports as a strategy. I'm not advocating one way or another.

I have a question, did Sony announce hard numbers for PS Now prior to the cut in price? I would be very surpsied if they had 15 million total customers. PSVR has less than a 5% attach rate, is that not beneath them according to your figures?

It's pretty obvious what you are advocating but that's besides the point. You cannot compare a title that launched 3 years ago with huge marketing budgets to a this release now on PC. 1 million would be good sales. Death Stranding will be another interesting result, it is newer but lesser pedigree.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Awesome news for PC folks. I think people who game on PlayStation shouldn't be mad since they got to experience it first, 3 years earlier than everyone else. Now if you're still sad about it coming to another platform, you shouldn't be. More money for Sony, more awesome games like Horizon down the pipeline.
They shouldn't be mad because there's litteraly no reason to be.

As long as a game is on a console and runs well enough it's all that matters. Why the hell would you need more than that ?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

As long as a game is on a console and runs well enough it's all that matters. Why the hell would you need more than that ?
Nothing at all. The only concern would be that Sony continues to make great games, end of story but some people are territorial. I'm just surprised Sony is releasing this before the PS5.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

"Because I bought this on this console and I should be the only one able to play it, darnitall! Why buy thingamajig in the first place? Traitor SONY!" ad nauseam

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They wouldn't be comparing it to PS4's performance because that is an entirely different situation. They just want to gauge interest in their games. 1M sales would be quite good in that regard.

Why wouldn't they? The PC is a huge market with lots of purchasing power.

I have a question, did Sony announce hard numbers for PS Now prior to the cut in price? I would be very surpsied if they had 15 million total customers. PSVR has less than a 5% attach rate, is that not beneath them according to your figures?

The situations aren't comparable. I'm sorry that's so difficult for you to comprehend.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I see some for some 6 weeks from JS' original leak, and the rumours floating around since when, last November? isn't enough time for them to grieve, adjust, accept and move on.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, if it's about ecosystem, releasing on steam and not on a proprietary storefront doesn't make sense.

It does, because Steam is a one-stop shop for PC gaming, except for Tent Pole titles (CoD, Diablo, Fortnite). Horizon is not a Tent Pole title and would not move people enough to purchase it outside Steam in large numbers. Maybe Bloodborne would do that? But not Horizon. And in that case, 70% of lots of sales beats 100% of some sales.

And I say this as a massive fan of Horizon who is going to double-dip.

Last edited:

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

No, Steam is agnostic to ecosystems beyond some rules.
Just like MS and XBL in Steam games, Sony will do the same with PSN likely integrated directly in the games. We might not see it off the bat, but that is where they'll go. Games are already a huge revenue stream from the unique users there. Then they can extend features that add value to games in that ecosystem for recurring revenue (switch between cloud and local play via PSNow sub, curated games via sub etc etc).

Steam has taken a vendor agnostic approach to these ecosystems for years. MS have been doing it with their games and XBL. Terms seem good enough that you have folks like EA jumping back on board, bringing Origin Access across as well soon. Seems Valve are doing the same with Cloud gaming solutions alongside their own.

Ultimately, these vendors recognise the unique audiences services like Steam have on PC, particularly a large amount of people never moving from the platform, but who have interest in PS games. So Sony, like MS and others, meet the gamers where they are to get friction-less access and expand their own ecosystem. Cuts become trivial vs the benefits.

Ecosystems is exactly what this is about. They don't care where you play, they just care that you play the games, and hopefully use their services. Same on consoles to come. MS don't care if you don't buy the consoles. If you are a PS die hard and get xCloud for a few exclusives - they are happy with that, they got you into the ecosystem

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Xbox games would be on PlayStation if Sony allowed you to sign into and create XBL accounts through them. I believe Halo on Steam requires you to make an Xbox account to use all it's features.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Nioh was released for $60 on PC while the ps4 version was $50 (not counting sales, base price).

Nioh was only 6 months later on the PC so it kind of made sense to be full price. Difficult to say what this will be on PC being 3 years after but Detroit wasn't $60 on Epic.

Why wouldn't they? The PC is a huge market with lots of purchasing power.

The situations aren't comparable. I'm sorry that's so difficult for you to comprehend.

Ahh, so now you turn to insults. Keep fighting the good fight.

This thread shows off an interesting psychological aspect of the community.

Many warmly accept the game on PC due to the critical acclaim and additionally nearly everyone is port begging other Sony titles, but a common mention is that they have never owned or played the game or the PS system.

The Sony brand has affected them enough to make their heartbeats in flavor but they would never to actually support the PS console it self.
I would imagine you'd get similar results for Nintendo games. Extra software sales are extra software sales.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018

Many warmly accept the game on PC due to the critical acclaim and additionally nearly everyone is port begging other Sony titles, but a common mention is that they have never owned or played the game or the PS system.

The Sony brand has affected them enough to make their heartbeats in flavor but they would never to actually support the PS console it self.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018

Surely this has nothing to do with the "Sony brand"? Doesn't it make the most sense that the people that are happy about this release are the people that have not had the chance to play it before?

Spark

Dec 6, 2017

Maybe they don't like walled garden consoles? I largely ditched walled garden, restrictive platforms back in in 2008 and have no intention of going back to make them my primary systems. My whole setup is based around my PC, an extra console is more of an expensive annoyance. I'd rather support Sony within a platform I enjoy using.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I want to play good games without the inherent limitations of consoles. I don't owe any specific company loyalty just because they own game studios or IPs.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
probably my favorite sony game, but i doubt i will re-play it till it's under $15. like most story games, one and done for me.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
lol exactly what i was thinking. at least ms doesnt have to pay valve a 30% cut to sell their own games on pc.
Didn't Valve make rule changes that basically amounted to "ok fine we'll only take up to 20% depending on your game's performance"? Like I'm not surprised Sony decided to stick with Steam for their first few PS4 ports since chances are they'll definitely hit the 20% cap early in sales. Get a sense of how well your games do on the platform before you decide what to do if you're considering bringing out the big titles to PC.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
The PlayStation community is having a heart attack because of this and I'm here like well there you go, I bought a PS4 to play this game and I get to play this game on PC. Gaming is changing for the good and it's not doom and gloom.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever

It's really simple. I don't want to waste money on inferior hardware, for an inferior experience. I don't want to give up mods or cheats or injectors. I don't wanna be forced to pay for online. I want to play games on my terms, and being able to do so on PC makes the waiting much less painful.

I had a ps4 and a pro this gen, but after disappointment in both I built a PC and I will never go back.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
"Because I bought this on this console and I should be the only one able to play it, darnitall! Why buy thingamajig in the first place? Traitor SONY!" ad nauseam
I really fail to understand the feeling.
Maybe because I'm randomly playing on different brands each generations, sometimes 1, sometimes 2, sometimes the same, or just one... so I don't get attached to a hardware conpany.

It's just ALWAYS cool to see any game on as many platforms as possible if it can gain popularity.

I'd argue it's more important for games that sell less but that's another topic.

Why would you "support sony consoles" if you can play a game in another way that suits you better ?
If someone prefers a game on pc, or handheld, or phone or whatever, they shouldn't have to buy random hardware for some "support"when it's totally unrelated to the game beside some corporate ownership.

Dec 15, 2017

It's all about games, convenience and not wasting money

If I have a PC that runs circles around all current gen consoles. Why should I support the PS console? Or any console in fact? A dollar spent on a console is sub optimal. I'd much rather spend that money on an upgrade for my PC in a couple of years.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
at least ms doesnt have to pay valve a 30% cut to sell their own games on pc.
A few things to remember... First, Microsoft also sells games on steam. Second, brick and mortar stores take a 30% cut so Sony doesn't ever get 100% of all of their sales anyway. Third, a game as big as Horizon will sell well enough where the cut isn't 30% on Steam. It will likely be 20%.

Status
Not open for further replies.