• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The norm will be a few months before the sequel releases exclusively on Sony hardware... those games will be sold on PC to make money obviously, but the main point will be to advertise the console to PC gamers through the sequels.

I think Sony's following Microsoft's lead. Sure they may sell a few PS5s to some PC players, but the goal isn't to get a few PC players off the fence. The goal is to create a second revenue stream, selling to an entirely new audience that's not buying a console.

That's where they stand to gain the most.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol bloodborne will sell on pc. Dark souls and even code vein have proven that. The audience for those games are on pc. Bb is a million sller first 24 hra, i can gautantee you that

It's crazy how well the games sell on PC. Like you said, Bloodborne would easily hit 1,000,000 insanely fast. It would hit 2 million in a month more than likely.

Horizon isn't even the first playstation game announced for PC. Journey, QD games and Death Stranding before it.

It's a slow process, but the future is obvious.

And even those games aren't the first ones. You had Helldivers and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture release on STEAM a few years ago. And even back then people were making excuses for those games being on PC.

I think people are in denial as to what is coming down the pipeline. It shouldn't even be a big deal. People are going to play on their hardware/platform of choice. If the ecosystem offers a good experience and is tailored to what the consumer is looking for, then that's what should matter. People having this unhealthy loyalty to a corporation and/or its platform is kind of scary.

This situation is as intriguing as the time Devil May Cry 4 went multiplatform and people cursed Capcom to hell and back for the game not being exclusively on a Sony machine.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Sony make exceptionally little revenue off customers that purchase hardware only for exclusives. Hardware is often sold at a loss or breaks even, and first party software brings in little money when it's the only thing being purchased and you factor in retail cuts, and shipping and manufacturing costs.

A vast, overwhelming majority of PC gamers are not uprooting their preferred ecosystem for console. The platforms are not interchangable.
THIS^^^

I'm sure there will be people who decide to not get a PS5 (or Xbox) in favor of buying a PC, but I think the amount revenue lost from those people will be significantly less than the amount of revenue made from PC sales. Plus you people weirdly afraid for the future of consoles are completely ignoring all the other reasons people get consoles (price, ease of use, continuity of ecosystems, etc). Maybe all you care about are the exclusives but I guarantee you are not a significantly large block of people. I just can't see a future where the mainstream or even a significant amount of hardcore console gamers up and leave consoles for gaming PCs of all things unless Valve one day makes a successful go at a Steam Machines 2.0 initiative.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I totally missed the part where he said that all upcoming Playstation games would be released on PC eventually.

While he didn't say that, he did say he believes Sony should be casting a wider net and then immediately clarifies Horizon releasing on PC doesn't "necessarily" mean Sony will commit to PC releases going forward, which strongly implies that this is the intention but it's contingent upon something. Logically, said criterion can only be these test cases selling well.

Now, I'm not arguing Horizon and co. are destined to exceed expectations on PC and Sony eventually being on the same side of the fence as Microsoft vis-a-vis the PC is a forgone conclusion. But it seems quite clear that Sony has been watching Microsoft closely over the past few years and has decided that path is worth exploring.

Oct 28, 2017
England
Incredibly disappointing. Very sad day.
Exclusives are magical, that's why.

When the OT for the port is made, can the OP please make one of these statements (or a combination of both) the title?

I had been told Gravity Rush 2 and Last Guardian were planned to go to PC. Nothing confirmed though.

Excellent news! I'm not too fussed about HZD, but I'll be there day 1 for a port of TLG!

Oct 31, 2017
What i meant, is that PC is getting stuff from all sides, games that are not in one of the consoles are on PC.

Yeah, I understood but those two aren't/weren't really exclusives compared to something like Octopath Traveler or Daemon X Machina.

With that said, I'm surprised Sony didn't start with TLOUR considering it was released a long time ago AND the sequel will be released in a few months.

That would have triggered PS4 sales ! :D

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
While he didn't say that, he did say he believes Sony should be casting a wider net and then immediately clarifies Horizon releasing on PC doesn't "necessarily" mean Sony will commit to PC releases going forward, which strongly implies that this is the intention but it's contingent upon something. Logically, said criterion can only be these test cases selling well.

Now, I'm not arguing Horizon and co. are destined to exceed expectations on PC and Sony eventually being on the same side of the fence as Microsoft vis-a-vis the PC is a forgone conclusion. But it seems quite clear that Sony has been watching Microsoft closely over the past few years and has decided that path is worth exploring.
Hmmm. I'm not sure I read it like that or more along the lines of particular games will see a PC release. Him justifying Horizon in particular right after my comment is the source of that belief in me.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Hmmm. I'm not sure I read it like that or more along the lines of particular games will see a PC release. Him justifying Horizon in particular right after my comment is the source of that belief in me.

He says "releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC." The use of future tense doesn't exactly leave much room for interpretation, especially considering how impractical it would be for Sony to port every existing first-party title.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Money is going to talk. If Sony sees this sell well enough for their expectations, then they'll have incentives to try more releases. If sales bomb, I doubt we'll see them try anytime soon

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

I found it quite funny the response he gave, almost to try and calm down some of the hardcore fans out there:

And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don't have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I found it quite funny the response he gave, almost to try and calm down some of the hardcore fans out there:

And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don't have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware.

"Necessarily" feels a like a very deliberate word choice.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
He says "releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC." The use of present tense doesn't exactly leave much room for interpretation, especially considering how impractical it would be for Sony to port every existing first-party title.
My point was that his follow up sentence is pointing to horizon as a specific case. His "necessarily" definitely doesn't illustrate the move to multiple games being ported.

HZD is easy due to death stranding. What comes from here is yet to be seen but I could see it being done before big sequels drop like GOW 2. But that's only if Horizon 2 is coming soonish after PS5.

Oct 27, 2017
If Playstation games start coming to PC on the regular, I will never buy a PS console again. Not because I'm some weird fanboy. I would just like to own 1 platform and have access to all games.
Same here. Before the news broke I was considering picking up the PS5 day 1. Now I'm definitely building a PC. Having both xbox and ps exclusives in one platform is just too much to ignore. (plus not having to pay to play games online.)

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
"Necessarily" feels a like a very deliberate word choice.
While I do believe him saying Sony won't be putting day of date games on the PC, at least not their big staples, I do think they will be testing the waters more to see the reaction. PS Now will certainly be getting more 1st party support.

Sony knows they have a very dedicated fanbase where they need to be very calculated in what they say and do.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah not even close mate. If you're going to make statements like you did about certain PlayStation exclusives not coming to PC but can't back it up, it's just idiotic fanboy drivel.

Just your tone in your comment validates what i said. Go read, i mean really read, what i said and then come back to me with more maturity.

Personally i don't give a rats ass if it comes to pc or not.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
While I do believe him saying Sony won't be putting day of date games on the PC, at least not their big staples, I do think they will be testing the waters more to see the reaction.

Most definitely.

My point was that his follow up sentence is pointing to horizon as a specific case. His "necessarily" definitely doesn't illustrate the move to multiple games being ported.

I mean, Horizon's PC port is the entire context of the conversation, so of course he's going to refer to it specifically, and he's not going to allude to there being other ports in the works if their release depends on how well Horizon PC sells.

Last edited:

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
In all the bluster of news, missed that the game will have Steam Achievements:

V5G5SNG.jpg

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
I mean, Horizon's PC port is the entire context of the conversation, so of course he's going to refer to it specifically, and he's not going to allude to there being other ports in the works if their release depends on how well Horizon PC sells.
But what I'm saying is there is a weird assumption that all games will come even if Horizon does well. If Horizon does well more may come but it's more likely to be specific targeted games (3 years after release, certain sales dropping, etc.) as opposed to a sweep of the lineup.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
By this time next year there should be HDMI 2.1 GPUs with the bandwidth and power to run this with HDR, 4K and frame rates a good bit over 60FPS, if not 120.

Already played this so I'm not going to get it immediately, but once I can do the above I'll jump in.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
But what I'm saying is there is a weird assumption that all games will come even if Horizon does well. If Horizon does well more may come but it's more likely to be specific targeted games (3 years after release, certain sales dropping, etc.) as opposed to a sweep of the lineup.

Oh, sure, Horizon isn't going to open the floodgates. There are going to be more test cases.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is like the perfect scenario so far... no additional launcher (probably), Steam release with achievements. Day 1.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony's following Microsoft's lead. Sure they may sell a few PS5s to some PC players, but the goal isn't to get a few PC players off the fence. The goal is to create a second revenue stream, selling to an entirely new audience that's not buying a console.

That's where they stand to gain the most.
I think they're trying to find a spot between Nintendo and MS.

They want big releases that sell a ton of units at launch (Nintendo) and then wait a while to get some PC revenue (MS). They are exploring that space in between right now and it will be interesting to see where they will land and which side they will lean more toward.

If I had to guess, it would be toward Nintendo with the MS route being a supplement.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think they're trying to find a spot between Nintendo and MS.

They want big releases that sell a ton of units at launch (Nintendo) and then wait a while to get some PC revenue (MS). They are exploring that space in between right now and it will be interesting to see where they will land and which side they will lean more toward.

If I had to guess, it would be toward Nintendo with the MS route being a supplement.
If this game sells millions on PC the floodgates will open. They won't leave that money on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.