• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read entire posts. If consoles go away it means less money on the table to develop games. No third party company would have taken the risk to let one of their studios completely switch gears and make a game as big and as risky as HZD.

Let me reiterate for the third fucking time, I am talking solely about day and date releases.
Consoles aren't going away.

Consoles wouldn't go away even with day and date releases. Case in point: Xbox.

Consoles don't continue to exist because of exclusive games.

You're not fooling anyone.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would there be meltdowns about an exclusive game coming to a neutral platform years after its initial release? It's been a great thing for Microsoft, should be great for Sony as well. Sony's gonna get that double-dipping money.
While I do agree with you that it's a wise decision for Sony, you do have to remember fanboys exist. Heck, there's people in this very thread declaring this decision a slippery slope towards Sony canning consoles, which is kinda bonkers given we know there isn't a huge overlap between console and PC gamers.

Meanwhile: where's Epic in all this? I would have thought that they would be splashing the cash to nab this as an exclusive of some form, but the new thread title indicates otherwise.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
The fact people are so passionate about a port of a 3+ year old game means this was probably a good idea. This is just a smart move on Sony's part. It doesn't mean day and date of their PS5 games, they can pick and choose which games they want to do and when. Putting out HZD on PC right now is a great way to sell copies of the sequel that is obviously happening some time in the near future while also selling a 3+ year old game that wasn't selling more any units to begin with.

I also can't even imagine the kind of reaction there will be when Nintendo does the same thing.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, is there actually a rumor that Gravity Rush 2 is coming to PC?

I don't think so. Sony sent that game to die. They couldn't careless about marketing it on their own system and I doubt they'll waste a second on porting it. It's over for that franchise.

I'm glad to have an official confirmation but where does it say it's coming to Steam?

store.steampowered.com

Horizon Zero Dawn™ Complete Edition on Steam

Experience Aloy’s legendary quest to unravel the mysteries of a future Earth ruled by Machines. Use devastating tactical attacks against your prey and explore a majestic open world in this award-winning action RPG!

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome thou. I moved over to Xbox from PS4 at the beginning of this gen and got a PC a some 2 years later. Now there is no reason for me to even look back to get a PlayStation again down the line.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I care about this game but if it means more Sony first party games are gonna hit the PC platform then that means I'm one step closer ditching the PlayStation brand. Good stuff.

PC + whatever Nintendo does seems pretty nice to me.

Oct 27, 2017
The fact people are so passionate about a port of a 3+ year old game means this was probably a good idea. This is just a smart move on Sony's part. It doesn't mean day and date of their PS5 games, they can pick and choose which games they want to do and when. Putting out HZD on PC right now is a great way to sell copies of the sequel that is obviously happening some time in the near future.

I also can't even imagine the kind of reaction there will be when Nintendo does the same thing.

Sony and Nintendo fans need to make like Microsoft fans and accept cross-platform titles with open arms. No one would have imagined Halo and Gears day and date on PC years ago, yet here we are. And people are excited.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
I don't think so. Sony sent that game to die. They couldn't careless about marketing it on their own system and I doubt they'll waste a second on porting it. It's over for that franchise.

store.steampowered.com

Horizon Zero Dawn™ Complete Edition on Steam

Experience Aloy’s legendary quest to unravel the mysteries of a future Earth ruled by Machines. Use devastating tactical attacks against your prey and explore a majestic open world in this award-winning action RPG!

The Steam page is up.
Thank you!

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Toxic fanboys are the worst.
Was there this much bullshit when Microsoft announced all their games would also come to PC?

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Sony and Nintendo fans need to make like Microsoft fans and accept cross-platform titles with open arms. No one would have imagined Halo and Gears day and date on PC years ago, yet here we are. And people are excited.

I actually don't think day and date make any sense for Sony or Nintendo though lol. It makes a lot more business sense for Microsoft given them owning Windows and all. Sony and Nintendo still want people invested in -their- ecosystem. Putting out ports of old games that aren't selling any more new units though makes a lot of sense.

The only way to rectify that and be on PC is to just do their own launchers. While both seem hesitant to do that, something like PSN could honestly be an attractive storefront if it tied PS5 purchases onto PC somehow. But I don't think Sony is willing to go there, not yet anyway.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
And this is bad, why again?

It's a smart move. Games are expensive as fuck to make, and releasing hit titles like this on PC is a great way to make some extra cash, but also a great way to broaden the audience for said hit games.

Horizon is a fantastic game. It's also 3 years old now. Horizon 2 will no doubt hit the PS5, and then some years after will hit PC. But some PC gamers that loved the first, may be tempted to just get a PS5 because they enjoy the game. It's a win/win for Sony. And a win/win for gamers.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brilliant 😂

twitter.com

9 V O L T on Twitter

“a sad day for playstation fans. a game they played 3 years ago is now on a different platform, which means the experience they had with it three years ago is tarnished. this is a betrayal from sony that playstation nation will not forget”

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Fanboy logic: PCs are too complicated and expensive to bother with up until exclusives are on it, then there's no point in consoles anymore.

lol

Sony exclusive not on Steam - Sony gets 0% of PC sales.

lmfao

It's not the people who game on ps that have an issue with games going to PC, why would anyone be bothered if they've already played the game or even if they haven't its not like it's leaving that platform. Its people who don't own a ps that have the issue and thats the real crux of the matter. Its those types of sad people who in general aren't interested in even playing the said game they would just rather cause some type of conflict.

You're joking right?

Compare the reactions of Horizon on PC to the reactions to Half Life Alyx port begging lol. It's clear who's having issues with more people being able to enjoy games and devs getting more money/audience for their work :)

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Did i just see someone saying sony are making avant garde games? Wat

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As bad as I've wanted to play certain games on consoles like HZD, Bloodborne, and Gran Turismo, I've never made the jump because I don't like close-ended hardware /platforms with arbitrary subscriptions. Being locked into a certain level of image quality and performance for years also doesn't do it for me. I've stated ever since 2012 that games having hardware exclusivity would be a thing of the past by 2025. Seeing how this is slowly coming to fruition, I don't mind waiting 1-3 years for a game to hit an open hardware platform. Hell, I don't mind waiting an entire console generation.

The untapped market isn't people that are looking for a push to buy the hardware. It's the people who would buy the games. Bloodborne would sell over 2 million copies easy on PC. That's a lot of money sitting on the table. I'm sure HZD will sell well enough. I'll definitely be giving it a purchase.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toxic fanboys are the worst.
Was there this much bullshit when Microsoft announced all their games would also come to PC?
Less, but yeah it was there. In my anecdotal experience weebs seem much more prone to this type of behavior — and also tend to gravitate more towards PlayStation over Xbox. I'm not surprised to see more of these, uh, "passionate" fans this time.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Here comes all the port begging.

I expected this but was rather expecting them to announce this after the PS5 and Horizon 2 are shown off to entice people. Get last gen games slowly on PC to promote the next gen exclusive sequel but what do I know.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to play it again now at 60fps.

At least now some people will actually accept it's technical achievements and belove it's a good game

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fanboy logic: PCs are too complicated and expensive to bother with up until exclusives are on it, then there's no point in consoles anymore.

lol

lmfao

You're joking right?

Compare the reactions of Horizon on PC to the reactions to Half Life Alyx port begging lol. It's clear who's having issues with more people being able to enjoy games and devs getting more money/audience for their work :)
Right? I own an Index but I would genuinely love to see Alyx ported to a PSVR2 and PS5.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Wait, is there actually a rumor that Gravity Rush 2 is coming to PC?
xboxera.com

Episode 15 - "Phil's suitcase"

It's podcast time! Join Sikamikanico, Shpeshal Ed and Kaironaut as we discuss Next Gen, Series X photo leaks, Phil Spencer's trip to Japan, Bleeding Edge,

The discussion of rumours starts at 48 min mark.

2 people (one in UK, one in Australia) mention they heard same rumour from different sources about HZD, GR2 and the Last Guardian coming to PC.

Obviously, this is rumour only, take it or leave it.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Less consoles purchased, the less incentive there is to further develop and support the console. If the paradigm shifts then there becomes no reason to make a console. Again, this is long-term. As well, exclusives make more money on consoles than if they were to be published third-party so it shifts the number of copies needed to sell to meet expectations higher, thus can discourage more avant-garde and otherwise risky games.
The idea that one day the majority of people are going to drop consoles in favor of gaming PCs (in countries where consoles are easily available and relatively cheap) is hilarious to me. People buy consoles for more reasons than exclusives.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I think the release date makes it pretty obvious that this is PS5 bait and that HZD2 is a probably a launch/launch window title. I mean, it coming a few months before the PS5 release is certainly no coincidence, so I'll bet they just intent for people to get hooked on the game and go and buy a PS5 on release with HZD2... not a bad strategy and I think they'll probably do this going forward, like releasing GOW 1 on PC a few months before GOW 2 hits PS%... not a bad move, definitely.

Last edited:

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Interesting, I would not have guessed that this would happen this gen.

Pretty cool, maybe I'll buy in, these kind of AAA SP Action Adventure games are not found that often on PC (if you don't like Ubi Soft or EA SP games).

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This looks like a pretty good summer, especially compared to last year. PC gamers are getting Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn. Yeah they're a little late, but better late than never.

I'm pretty excited about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.