• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2017
You reframed the question. Why not release HZD 3.5 years later on Xbox? How is this obvious? Microsoft develop Minecraft on PS4. Sony, until recently, didn't put big hitters on PC either. Now they do, why not Xbox too?
Featuring your IPs on a direct competitor's platform isn't perceived as being good for your brand. If you're going to dabble in putting your exclusives elsewhere, starting with the PC makes a lot more sense. It's not a direct competitor. Most Xbox gamers are potential Playstation owners. Not necessarily the case with PC.

An All or Nothing approach doesn't make sense. Why do they have to release it on Xbox? Nobody expects the same for Microsoft, either. You can make your case that they should also consider releasing on Xbox. But an all or nothing approach doesn't really make sense when there's plenty of well supported reasons why Sony is comfortable on occasion putting their games on PC. Especially a tech showcase like this one.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It's so embarrassing that this is a sentence in that interview: "And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC."

"Don't worry, you're still locked into buying our console". Gamers could be heard cheering from across the land.

I agree it's fucking awful. This harms no one. Good for Sony, good for PC players, good for PS fans.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony exclusive goes on Steam.
Steam takes 30%.

Sony exclusive goes on PSN.
Sony takes 100%.
That's 70% more money than they would have otherwise made from PC players who don't own PS4's.

There's also nothing stopping them from releasing their own PC launcher. Everyone else has done it at this point.

There's also no reason for you to care about any of this as a consumer. Corporations aren't your friend.

Oct 26, 2017
unknown.png

You are fucking pathetic. Very sad person.

Hmar

My man

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
He said Gravity Rush 2 (not also 1) was coming to PC, it's likely a very dead I.P at this point, so it won't really be too hard to tell if he knows stuff. People crediting him with HZD when he was just wrong and backpedaled saying he was just going of the 4Chan rumour has me pretty strongly doubting him. But GR2 is way out there, so if it happens relatively soon, it'd be pretty hard to argue.
We just have to wait and see, I agree.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They just said that to reassure fanboys if this makes the right amount of profit, more will surely c
No they didn't. They said it because they know people like to stir up things to fit there own agenda. It's not the people who game on ps that have an issue with games going to PC, why would anyone be bothered if they've already played the game or even if they haven't its not like it's leaving that platform. Its people who don't own a ps that have the issue and thats the real crux of the matter. Its those types of sad people who in general aren't interested in even playing the said game they would just rather cause some type of conflict.

I'm 35 I'm literally too old to be bothered what goes where and who plays what, but at the end of the day people who want to make a song and dance about it even when you have the Head of worldwide studios telling you something different, you can't win with those types of people.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
No they didn't. They said it because they know people like to stir up things to fit there own agenda. It's not the people who game on ps that have an issue with games going to PC, why would anyone be bothered if they've already played the game or even if they haven't its not like it's leaving that platform. Its people who don't own a ps that have the issue and thats the real crux of the matter. Its those types of sad people who in general aren't interested in even playing the said game they would just rather cause some type of conflict.

It's a very good question.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
As usual these threads are full of fanboys disguised as financial analysts and marketing experts who know Sony strategy and business inside out...

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read entire posts. If consoles go away it means less money on the table to develop games. No third party company would have taken the risk to let one of their studios completely switch gears and make a game as big and as risky as HZD.

Let me reiterate for the third fucking time, I am talking solely about day and date releases.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This is cool, I have a PS4 but as I don't really play much on it - I never got around to this. I'll definitely give this a try once it releases on PC.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes... I'm a consumer. I prefer having three distinctly powerful brands who are competing to release the best games exclusively on their platforms, doing the best to improve those platforms and driving the industry forward, instead of just releasing a video game anywhere for people to just pick up and not competing.
It's not like that you have to compete with other PC games if you release your game there. Or with the other Nintendo and Microsoft exclusives that are available on the PC. Also when you're pushing the technical limits for your games it kinda does sound like "driving the industry forward", doesn't it? It surely sounds like competition when you have to compete with others for the same customer group.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm thinking about long-term. Day and date discourages console purchases, I have no problem with year+ after the fact PC releases in theory, but day and date screws with the traditional console paradigm that has worked well for 40 years.
I disagree. if you were right then why does the xbox one still sells? There is literally a handfull of titles that aren't playable in the PC.

I'll put it in other words. How many PS users do you think will go for PC if all PS exclusives are on PC?

Less consoles purchased, the less incentive there is to further develop and support the console. If the paradigm shifts then there becomes no reason to make a console. Again, this is long-term. As well, exclusives make more money on consoles than if they were to be published third-party so it shifts the number of copies needed to sell to meet expectations higher, thus can discourage more avant-garde and otherwise risky games.
That doesn't make any sense. Why would consoles stop being made because of PC?

Right now PC is, generally speaking, a better experience for the same price. Do you think consoles only sell exclusives?

Also "avant-garde" games? you mean games like star citizen and mount and blade? Do those games even exist on consoles?
Or do you consider "avant-gard"e games like spider-man? (for those that don't know its very copy pasted from assassins creed)

your comment doesn't make any logical sense to me.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a great strategy for Sony, play our old games on PC, if you like them play the sequels on play station or wait another 3 years for a PC release.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Read entire posts. If consoles go away it means less money on the table to develop games. No third party company would have taken the risk to let one of their studios completely switch gears and make a game as big and as risky as HZD.
How are consoles going away? Not everyone wants to play on PC, regardless of PC getting Sony exclusives.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017

Consoles are not going away. One or even more exclusives coming late to PC simply doesn't warrant this level of fear and paranoia. Wake up.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Dreams should really be the next one.
With cross-platform, the Dreams community could flourish so much more.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I had no idea how many people were that desperate for Sony games. Why not just buy the console? It's really not that expensive and considering the huge amount of exclusive games you'll be playing, it'll be worth it.

This is like a "why not buy a PC" argument used the other way. It makes no sense to people interested in a minority of titles. In the case of PC users, there is also a ton of reasons they are in that ecosystem and may make them simply rather miss the games the waste money on a system they'd use for a couple of games. For Sony all of this benefits their ecosystem by extending it with PSN integration and getting a massive revenue stream.

Converting that into recurring revenue via extending PSN features to these previously unreachable players is another good step - PSNow subs / quick switching between local and cloud hardware, curated game subs on PC, all reasonable ways to accomplish that.

This also leads to more increased scope options for their games, and important for service based games, trying to accumulate long term persistent massive user base / esports etc.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Yes... I'm a consumer. I prefer having three distinctly powerful brands who are competing to release the best games exclusively on their platforms, doing the best to improve those platforms and driving the industry forward, instead of just releasing a video game anywhere for people to just pick up and not competing.

The way you're framing it, it's as if third parties do not compete because they put their games in most platforms, when in fact they also compete with others for consumer's money.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was more a question of understanding the effort required to keep Decima running smoothly across a wide range of PC configurations, as a shared effort with Kojima Productions.

This was my guess as well, given the work done to port Death Stranding with the same engine I guess HZD to PC must have been made easier.

as a Nintendo fan that also plays PlayStation and PC. I'd want it.

Console exclusives with pc ports are the best way forward. Gives people reason to get the console version (for all the reasons that's been given for their choice) while pc gamers can enjoy it at peak levels.

I think this is Sony's way of testing the waters. If it sells well they will continue with maybe even day of ports instead of delayed ones

I seriously doubt they'll start putting their games on PC at the same time as a console release. They might not see the PC necessarily as a competitor, but releasing it at the same time could make it a competitor indeed.

Oct 27, 2017
As usual these threads are full of fanboys disguised as financial analysts and marketing experts who know Sony strategy and business inside out...

Thank goodness we don't have these types of people making the decisions for the industry. The way forward is accessibility and being able to play almost any game any where - that's where the industry is headed, like it or not.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Does this mean Sony doesn't see PC as a competitor to the PlayStation brand?

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Thank goodness we don't have these types of people making the decisions for the industry. The way forward is accessibility and being able to play almost any game any where - that's where the industry is headed, like it or not.

Entire divisions fully staffed with people doing research and market analysis, constantly crunching numbers and analyzing data...

"Sony just shot themselves in the foot..."

Status
Not open for further replies.