• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I mean, I'm disturbed if this will mean that PS5 exclusives will come on PC too, in that case I'll just not buy the console and stick with a better PC, that's what I'm interested for.

Horizon ZD is my favourite PS4 exclusive so I'm happy about this porting at this point and I'm even more hyped about a sequel, I just want to be sure that it's going to be worth buying the next PlayStation.
For now it just seems that they took the opportunity thanks to the Death Stranding porting on PC but let's see how it's going to evolve.
Yes I think that's a reasonable assumption at this point. It could be a one-off because of the engine, or there could be more to come. But since you love HZD I can almost guarantee any sequel will come to PS5 way sooner than PC, so it depends if you have to have it day one or not.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The notion that this is Sony dangling a carrot doesn't really make any sense. Nobody who has waited this long to play Horizon was ever going to buy a PS4 to play it, so they're certainly not going to rush out and buy a PS5 to play the sequel. Not to mention, the money's in software and services, not hardware. Sony releasing first-party games on PC, and perhaps sweetening the deal with something akin to Game Pass, wouldn't be a bad idea simply because the PS5 isn't part of the equation.

It seems quite clear to me that this move is Sony's first foot forward in following in Microsoft's footsteps.

Agreed. To me, this move makes a lot of sense when viewed through the lens of backwards compatibility. Having as many of your old games as possible still accessible to you on your new console ties you into that ecosystem further with every game you own and buy, rather than it being a hard reset every console generation as it has been in the past. So if selling upressed versions of a game many people will already have access to is going to (largely) be out of the picture, it makes sense to try to get that catalog available elsewhere to have those games continue being a source of revenue. So I definitely disagree with some folks saying this is going to be the only game rather than part of a larger strategy.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Gah why should I buy a PS5 when I can just wait 3.5 years to buy the games in PC?

/s

More good games on more systems is good. Hopefully if they port any more games (like Bloodborne) it means they will also be playing to fix any tech issues for the PS5 backwards compatible versions.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
This .. has to be a parody right ?
Is...that a joke tweet...?
It is kind of sad
I honestly have to wonder if this is an intentional joke or not.
Please tell me this is/isn't real. Oh god.
It's 100% real and as hilarious as it is it's also concerning.

Imagine simping for sony so hard you destroy your place.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I do wonder how much this sort of announcement eats into their next gen console plans though. I see some saying that this'll get people to buy a potential HZD2 but imo it'll just make more people say they'd wait for the sequel on PC instead.

I don't think it affects their next gen plans at all. The number of people with gaming PCs powerful enough to run these games are nowhere near the number of people who will buy a dedicated box for the convenience, simplicity, and overall value when you think of what building a PC similarly spec'd to a PS5/Xbox Series X would cost.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
They want people playing on their consoles. This port is being done to put the game back in the news and get eyes on it that haven't played it yet. Sony then hopes this will translate into some people getting a PS5 for Horizon 2, which definitely won't be on PC anywhere near the PS5 launch.

I think that's myopic (and flimsy), but only time will tell. I agree that the sequel will launch as a PS5 exclusive and remain so for some time, though. Even assuming all of the belated ports sell beyond expectations, I'd guess we're at least a couple of years away from seeing the first day-and-date simultaneous release.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Say it.

It sold ~2M in the US alone. It is probably in the ~4M range now.

www.resetera.com

NPD: Top 10 Life-To-Date Sold on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Vita

If this included the rest of the world there would be a lot more fifa .

Just for clarity sake.

www.gamespot.com

PS4's Bloodborne Sells 2 Million

Role-playing game reaches new sales milestone, up from 1 million earlier this year.

The 2+ million is from Sony themselves via TGS and the figure is global, not US only. Shortly before the expansion launched a few months later, it was revealed the game had moved 2.1 million units worldwide.

Zhuge was speaking about sales at the end of 2018. It's possible those figures include PS+ (did he clarify?) If not, that's good news, but Sony hasn't provided official numbers since the end of 2015.

Edit - Regardless, my point is Bloodborne hasn't been a hardware driver for a long time. If a game with 3x the sales (Horizon) can make the jump to PC, there is hope for a game like Bloodborne.

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Well it's about 3 years after the original release date. If it was day 1 I'll have gotten it on pc for sure, but if this is how they'll gonna do the pc release going forward, I'll probably still stick on my PS4/ PS5 to play my Sony games :P More power to the people who can wait that long lol.

I do think this release is more to build hype and get more people interested for the eventual sequel to Horizon on PS5

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, I'm disturbed if this will mean that PS5 exclusives will come on PC too, in that case I'll just not buy the console and stick with a better PC, that's what I'm interested for.

Horizon ZD is my favourite PS4 exclusive so I'm happy about this porting at this point and I'm even more hyped about a sequel, I just want to be sure that it's going to be worth buying the next PlayStation.
For now it just seems that they took the opportunity thanks to the Death Stranding porting on PC but let's see how it's going to evolve.
It depends how important playing Sony's games day one is to you. If you don't mind waiting a couple years or so then investing in a PC could be wise.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
This is great. Thanks Sony. Please bring all your games over. I'm fine waiting a bit, I get it. It's be great to not have to buy a PS5

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly disappointing. Very sad day.

Honest question.....how so?

What, in the context of more people being able to play a game, is 'disappointing' to you as a consumer?

You increase the odds of seeing Zero Dawn 2 (not that we weren't going to already, but the point is still poignant).

Maaaaaybe you weaken the 'brand' a little by having a previously-exclusive game open up, but I'm pretty sure Playstation has already crunched those numbers.

(Unless this is a more subtle troll and I'm being a mark)

It's not completely confirmed but Guerilla tweeted out the Steam release and didn't mention any other storefronts.

Yeah, I'm curious on this too - Schrier's info said Epic and Steam (similar to Death Stranding), so I wonder why Epic hasn't thrown out a 'me too' tweet yes....unless things fell apart/never progressed in terms of communication??

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Sorry but he fucked up with Blizzcon leaks, twice.

First time he said Diablo IV video presentation ready for Blizzcon 2018, but is was false.

And for Blizzcon 2019 he said they will show Diablo 2 Remastered, Also false

For me, this guys is reliable, but not at 100%
With how blizzard is you know they literally could have delayed it.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Gah why should I buy a PS5 when I can just wait 3.5 years to buy the games in PC?

/s

More good games on more systems is good. Hopefully if they port any more games (like Bloodborne) it means they will also be playing to fix any tech issues for the PS5 backwards compatible versions.
I mean... Isn't that true? People like sticking to what's familiar to them so they'll just say "I'll wait for the PC port" instead of investing in a console. FOMO is also a factor, but I'm sure people're fine waiting a period of time

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hulst doesn't rule out more first-party games coming to PC, but says there are no plans to release PC versions of PlayStation games at the same time as their console counterparts. Horizon: Zero Dawn launched on PS4 in March 2017.
Good. It would be incredibly stupid if they did. This is probably a one-off due to the work that KojiPro has done on Decima for PC for Death Stranding.

Though one big positive to this (beyond Steam users getting to enjoy the best new IP of the generation) is that it increases the chances of HZD2 being revealed alongside the PS5.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about PC culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the PlayStation market where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on the PC market, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the PlayStation Fans, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Horizon Zero Dawn for either system, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.
Sony, publicly apologize and cancel Horizon Zero Dawn for PC or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
This is going to sell very well and probably be a good quality port.
I assume Sony are just testing the waters for more of their first party portfolio to come over to PC as well. The success of this game will probably bring more of them over.

Nice.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Good. It would be incredibly stupid if they did. This is probably a one-off due to the work that KojiPro has done on Decima for PC for Death Stranding.

Though one big positive to this (beyond Steam users getting to enjoy the best new IP of the generation) is that it increases the chances of HZD2 being revealed alongside the PS5.
It won't be stupid or a one of, it will probably happen faster and more frequently the further we get into next gen.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm curious on this too - Schrier's info said Epic and Steam (similar to Death Stranding), so I wonder why Epic hasn't thrown out a 'me too' tweet yes....unless things fell apart/never progressed in terms of communication??
Timmy wanted an exclusive deal, and Sony said fuck you.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
PC always wins.

I hope Herman doesn't become the enemy for Sony fans on the internet. :/
It won't be stupid or a one of, it will probably happen faster and more frequently the further we get into next gen.
100% once this sells gangbusters sony will be moving more games and at a swifter clip too. As soon as they see it makes commercial sense they will be quick to capitalize on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.