• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
anyone else worried that sony may release more games on pc if this sells well? i am concerned as a fanboy

Well lots of Playstation users think it is a good thing because apparently PC owners will buy a PS5 after playing this game ;)

So the more Sony releases their games on PC, the better. As a fanboy you should be overjoy

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Sony ps5 success is more important than this. And horizon sold amazingly well on PS4.
This release is super smart as they put horizon 2 in the spotlight. All sales are done on PS4 so grab more sales AND make people interested in the sequel. More ps5 sales possibly. It's really an intelligent release
hope you are jokin just like i am.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Sony ps5 success is more important than this. And horizon sold amazingly well on PS4.
This release is super smart as they put horizon 2 in the spotlight. All sales are done on PS4 so grab more sales AND make people interested in the sequel. More ps5 sales possibly. It's really an intelligent release
Realistically speaking, I don't think many PC-players are going to purchase a console at $499 in order to play one or two games. Even if they would, it wouldn't be much of a profit for Sony anyway since these people won't invest in anything outside of exclusives.

This is them realizing PC is not much of a competitor as they originally thought, and aims to profit off it in the long run.

yellow wallpaper

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): System wars. Prior bans for same behavior.
you were possibly joking. I am not. I think this is a smart move. And I said the exact same thing when we knew nothing about the sequel and they announced it the pc port of horizon 1
no offense, but the ps5 is already weak. and felllow pc users would like to enjoy sony's games the way they are meant to be realized.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
A 580 providing less than double the performance of a ps4 is worrisome. Assuming the original preset is PS4 settings.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
PC players are unlikely to buy $500 consoles for an exclusive or 2.

And even those who do, are likely to power the console once or twice a year to play said exclusive and leave the console to collect dust for the rest of year. They are not active users, they do not pay for psn+, they don't engage with the ecosystem etc.

Sony must've realized this, they will be getting more money buy not treating PC as direct competitor.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
no offense, but the ps5 is already weak. and felllow pc users would like to enjoy sony's games the way they are meant to be realized.

0438596b8a469a2e-i-am-a-dreamer-let-me-dream-a-bit-of-everything-oh-yes.gif

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Well lots of Playstation users think it is a good thing because apparently PC owners will buy a PS5 after playing this game ;)

So the more Sony releases their games on PC, the better. As a fanboy you should be overjoy
Always has to be some kind nebulous quid pro quo working in the shadows cause why else would Sony possibly betray my fandom by putting out our beloved products on another platform.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
sorry 30fps and locked down to a console sounds good to me!

I was talking more about you talking for the developers of the game. Anyway, your self-aggrandizing pcmasterrace wankery aside, I'm glad more people are going to be able to play this. Hopefully they're as engaged with the lore and story of this game as I was.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Oh awesome thank you. I've been skimming this thread and haven't seen anything.

edit: yet again I literally see it immediately after I say that. What is with me today.

Yeah they confirmed Steam achievements in line with Trophies except the "all all achievements" thing is now completing the dlc also.

They haven't updated their page yet at all and even the EULA is broken right now. There's more info to come for sure.

yellow wallpaper

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I was talking more about you talking for the developers of the game. Anyway, your self-aggrandizing pcmasterrace wankery aside, I'm glad more people are going to be able to play this. Hopefully they're as engaged with the lore and story of this game as I was.
hey i am sorry if i came off pc master race. i just like warm beers and good games(horizon).

Hzoltan969

Oct 26, 2017
PC players are unlikely to buy $500 consoles for an exclusive or 2.

And even those who do, are likely to power the console once or twice a year to play said exclusive and leave the console to collect dust for the rest of year. They are not active users, they do not pay for psn+, they don't engage with the ecosystem etc.

Sony must've realized this, they will be getting more money buy not treating PC as direct competitor.

I don't know about other people, but that's the sole reason for me for owning a console at all - exclusives.
I will buy a PS5 for the same reason, I will pay for PS+ and I will buy exclusives (mostly in the first couple of years).

I agree with those who say this game is mostly a teaser for Sony (and some extra cash for a game that no longer sells on PS4) and not a shift in policy towards PC players.

Whatever the reason, I'm happy to be able to play this on PC, I only got halfway on PS4 because by that time the image quality and performance difference to PC games was already too jarring for me.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
A 580 providing less than double the performance of a ps4 is worrisome. Assuming the original preset is PS4 settings.
Benchmarks can be non-representative of in-game performance at times (especially in terms of average FPS). Like the Golem City in Deus Ex Mankind divided is much heavier than Golem City scene in the game.

Made an entire video about this.

Best wait for the real game numbers to come out.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
While true, that GPU is still terribly outdated, and in the current climate the GTX 1000 series is dominating the user base on Steam which contain newer architecture and features. It is likely this PC enhanced port is optimized for the new architecture in mind to cater to most of the active PC users.

This is from the current Steam survey reading. The people using the GPUs shown here above the blue line constitute over 50%, which in other words, half of an average Steam users are using a GTX 10x or a RTX now.

4gKGuar.png
I think it's very interesting that even my card which is the second highest down from the top end is less than the most expensive card the 2080ti. I have a 2018 super Black edition and it seems like peoples hunger for the highest end over comes the rationality of spending top dollar for an priced card LOL

I do think the minimum requirements are fine and also given the pace just went up, hopefully they do have things like cloud saves just in case. Otherwise I'll just be mentally backing up my own I suppose.

Going back to the remarks about price, I will reiterate that I think they got it right given it comes with the complete content. I honestly think there are more egregious things to complain about with other AAA games that cost more.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Can't you just use DSR or amd's equivalent,
This actually depends. DSR is unfortunately not always the best solution because:
a) some games doesn't respond to your set DSR resolution and only offer the highest desktop resolution you use, meaning that you have to change your desktop resolution to the desired resolution everytime you start the game.
b) there are games that behave weird due to... I actually don't know, some DPI scaling or the non-native resolution in general, meaning that the mouse cursor isn't recognised at the right place. Let's say you want to click "options" you have to place the cursor like 4cm above it.
c) some games don't scale their HUD elements properly so you get very tiny HUD elements
(d) my MSI Afterburner overlay also gets very tiny. I can adjust it per game but if I ever want to change the resolution again, I have to readjust it).

d. is minor annoyance. However, all could be avoided by offering a proper resolution scale slider. Leave the HUD elements crystal clear on my display's native res and scale everything else up without any of above problems.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Ahhh come on, it's got a high end zen2 cpu, 16GB of gddr6, and an RTX 2070 equivalent, that is better than 95% (Probably more like 98% but that's a guess) of the steam user base. It's definitely not close to the highest tier pc stuff but it's far from weak.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Great to see this happening so more people get to enjoy this beautiful game. It wasn't my favorite game this generation, but I am very happy to see more games coming to PC. This makes me hopeful for a future where we get even more platform freedom.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
So? Late console ports used to be always full price. I remember paying 70 for Doom 3

8 months late is still a bit different than 40+ months. This is coming half a generation later instead of within a year. I do think close to a year late console ports shouldn't be full price either, unless it's something like new content is just about to be released for the game and it's included in the new version increasing the value proposition.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they confirmed Steam achievements in line with Trophies except the "all all achievements" thing is now completing the dlc also.

They haven't updated their page yet at all and even the EULA is broken right now. There's more info to come for sure.

Honestly that sounds fine with me. If I was going to 100% it I'd go for everything.

Good to know.

Oct 28, 2017
Day one for me, the real bonus that PC users still have over consoles is 21:9, absolutely love that screen ratio, I really hope 21:9 TV's become a 'thing' in the future.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Ahhh come on, it's got a high end zen2 cpu, 16GB of gddr6, and an RTX 2070 equivalent, that is better than 95% (Probably more like 98% but that's a guess) of the steam user base. It's definitely not close to the highest tier pc stuff but it's far from weak.

It is actually more in line with an RTX 2080, which is pretty darn good! XSX is just above a 2080 super. I have a 2070 super and my system comes out a bit below the PS5 I reckon.

Good times ahead!

Carlius

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Honestly, if you ask me...while the game is good, the graphics when put on PC are not really that.... Sony games just have too much hype and ppl believe them to be the second coming of Christ, but when put on PC...its just...another pc game.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Honestly, if you ask me...while the game is good, the graphics when put on PC are not really that.... Sony games just have too much hype and ppl believe them to be the second coming of Christ, but when put on PC...its just...another pc game.

Will be interesting when the game comes out how many people agree with you. The idea that the graphics aren't even good surprises me though, despite some issues with the game, its storytelling, the very poor FoV on console, and its cultural appropriation of Native Americans withstanding.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the best looking game pc included. It'd majestic even 3 years after release. Only rdr is on the same level imho while looking different. And if it can run at 60fps it will be incredible

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Lol.. no, this is not accurate

Pretty much is if you consider TFs of Nvidia and AMD roughly equivalent, and the new AMD cards have equivalent RT performance to the RTX cards. 2070 has 7.5, 2070 super has 9, 2080 has 10, and 2080 super has 11.15. Yeah TFs are only one metric blah, blah...but care to suggest evidence which contradicts? Obviously benchmarks are not available for next gen consoles yet, so evidence is think on the ground.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

It's a 3 year old game. At the time it was one of the best looking open world games out there, if not the best.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Will be interesting when the game comes out how many people agree with you. The idea that the graphics aren't even good surprises me though, despite some issues with the game, its storytelling, the very poor FoV on console, and its cultural appropriation of Native Americans withstanding.
I think the detail is there, especially for npc, but they way faces animate was really jarring. Sometimes I personally felt npcs were also over designed and the way open world was done I found it lacking any believability. It never felt to me like people actually lived in that world, the open world as an actual place was really hollow.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It is actually more in line with an RTX 2080, which is pretty darn good! XSX is just above a 2080 super. I have a 2070 super and my system comes out a bit below the PS5 I reckon.

Good times ahead!
Digital Foundry saw Gears 5 running on XSX and a RTX 2080 side by side at MS, and the RTX 2080 had the better performance.

And before someone says "but but.. it wasn't optimised for XSX, it was a "port" done in 2 weeks", remember that it hasn't been optimised for the PC it's running on either.

I think we need to wait until AMD launches their RDNA2 GPUs for PC later this year before we can confirm if the performance per flop gains they're claiming actually come to fruition in the real world.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I think the detail is there, especially for npc, but they way faces animate was really jarring. Sometimes I personally felt npcs were also over designed and the way open world was done I found it lacking any believability. It never felt to me like people actually lived in that world, the open world as an actual place was really hollow.

There are animation issues, I assume Guerrilla used an algorithm for the lip sync for a lot of the side quests.

I'm not sure what overdesigned means in this graphical context. I found the diversity in character designs pretty well done to be honest.

Not lived in sort of feels like a weird complaint considering there are settlements all over the place and the rest of the world is full of wandering robots. But you aren't the first to say it.

Xehanort

Dec 3, 2017
Wow this is like 20$ in my country. Gonna buy it cause I never played the DLC and I have a decent gaming laptop now.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC gamers didn't buy a ps4 for Bloorborne, do you think they will buy a ps5 for Horizon 2? lol