• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
So Ps4 Pro version is still better?

Depends, if you do not have crashes, then 100% yes. I can get 1080p 60 which is obviously better than the Pro. The biggest deal is the loading. It is very fast compared to how slow it is on the PS4. I wouldn't recommend people buy this version though until the crashes are fixed and we see some better performance. I should be able to do 1440p easily and I can't.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
So Ps4 Pro version is still better?

Well now that stutters are gone, no? I mean the console version has poor AF that you cna't do anything about, here you can at least force it. And frame rate is still much better on PC as are load times.

Even shitty PC ports tend to be better than their console counterparts just because of the hardware power disparity.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I'll give it another try tonight then. I'm loving the acutal game, just a shame how it released

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Please feel free to use the ignore thread function in case it bothers you.
I don't think that's their point - I think their problem is having several threads for the same discussion. If you're interested in partaking you wouldn't want to ignore it, but you would probably prefer one thread or two for that topic.

(But I can see the point of having a new thread for every patch if many people outside of the main threads would take interest)

Last edited:

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
Been waiting on this one. I hope to god it fixes all the crashes. I couldn't even play this game for 15 minutes before it crashed

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I don't think that's their point - the problem is having several threads for the same discussion. If you're interested in partaking you wouldn't want to ignore it, it would probably just be preferable with one thread or two for the same topic.

(But I can see the point of having a new thread for every patch if people outside of the main threads would take interest)
At the end of the day, both avenues have merit, it's not as if one is unequivocally better or more right than the other. So as things stand we just don't want to encourage people just dropping into a thread to complain about said thread's existence. Hence the mild warning for thread whining.
As was pointed out by someone else earlier, if there is no interested in a given thread they tend to die pretty quickly and drop off the main page.
Now if in future we get to a point where a majority of threads on the main page are just patch notes, I am sure we would re-visit the rules and best practices surrounding them. For now I think we can get along with the rules around this as they are.
Now I will warn myself for derailing this thread.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
I'm bummed that I bought this without reading any of the news. This Steam release is literally still in beta. I expected more from Sony and Guerilla.

Jun 13, 2020
This was the first PC port of a Sony first party game (Death Stranding's port was published by 505), they had to get this right but instead shipped an obviously incomplete port. I have no idea why they would do that.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
The port isn't a train wreck for a few of us.

I've managed to get pretty much stable performance on a GTX 1080 at 1080p almost maxed out but my first bandit camp went down in fps to the 40's. Also I never had a crash to desktop.

Outside of that I'm getting pretty much steady 60 even on Meridian in day time.. the main exception could be the zones with lots of big ruins that make the framerate go to low 50's.

Stutter is pretty much gone for me in a regular SSD.

I'll test the 1.02 later when I'm at home and see if we get some noticeable improvements.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't understand the thread whining, it feels like some people doesn't want players to discuss about Horizon: Zero Dawn for PC

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Guerrilla handles the PR. They still could have no part in it.
They're at least consulting. I think that if the original port team could fix all of these bugs in a few weeks they wouldn't have found their way into the release build. Having almost a decade of experience with the Decima engine would allow you to solve these problems in a fraction of the time.

Fixing performance might require some major memory and streaming system rewrites. That's definitely not going to happen overnight.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I think it's actually crashing more now. Three in the last hour.

I'm crash free so far over 15 hours in.

What's the size of your filepage for Windows? Mine is 20.000 - 25.000.

I'm running Windows 10 version 1903 and driver 451.67.. I tried the latest version and didn't get good results on other games.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
It's clear they shouldn't have released the game in the state that it's in.

Yeah, but they knew since before launching the game that the AF was broken, you can thik
How long do you think it takes one to fix AF?

And you think releasing a patch for one minor issue is important when there are hard crashes and severe bugs going on?

I don't think this is an easy fix, but the AF problem was known before the game even release. It's not like this problem has catch them off guard, as it could has happen with the crashes or the snow bug.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Still can't fix AF...
Also do we need new thread for every, little patch released when we have OT for the PC version of the game + PC performance thread? Just asking because i am not a fan of discussing the same thing in multiple threads.
there wasnt a thread for the small ass 1mb patch...i think a thread would be fine when we finally get a working fucking game in order to celebrate lol.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I'm crash free so far over 15 hours in.

What's the size of your filepage for Windows? Mine is 20.000 - 25.000.

I'm running Windows 10 version 1903 and driver 451.67.. I tried the latest version and didn't get good results on other games.
Haven't had any crashes on my end either, ~10 hours in.

I'm running with default pagefile, Windows 2004 & GeForce driver 452.06 on a 6700K + 1080.

there wasnt a thread for the small ass 1mb patch
We had this one:

www.resetera.com

Patch 1.01 for Horizon: Zero Dawn PC has been released News

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/i9jaa0/horizon_zero_dawn_complete_edition_for_pc_patch/

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
I actually got pretty solid performance on my fairly modest machine, but regular crashing. At least once a half hour. It's a good thing the game autosaves as much as it does.

RandomError

Oct 27, 2017
Interested to hear more about these two items:

Improved performance when auto-saving (e.g. when completing a quest step).

I'm curious if this has addressed the stuttering users were reporting when the UI was being updated...

Fixed an issue where some players experienced out of sync facial animations due to them being locked at 30FPS.

... and if this is because they've added interpolation to the cutscene animations, if they've fixed just the synchronisaton issue, or if they've done something like locking the cutscene framerate to 30FPS.

Can anyone comment?

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Did they fix the save corruption issue? Heard reports that it was introduced in patch 1.01.

Falcato

Nov 2, 2017
This is important guys. As well all know there are only so many threads Era can support. I think we're already up to 90% capacity. I for one think we should only make critically important threads fom now on, specifically threads critically important to me.

So cringe yourself to a new era threads, and anything discussing CRPGs from now on, ok?

This way Era can last atleast another couple fo months before we run out of thread space and have to start a whole new forum.

That damned thread-generating AI is to blame

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I played about 6 hours with zero crashes, only complaint is hair seems to glitch a lot. I haven't been to any of the snowy areas yet but I'm assuming deformation isn't fixed yet.

In any case, it's been a much better experience than on PS4 Pro so far. I average nearly 90fps and I've had zero stuttering so far.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
General game performance and optimization should be at the top of that list..

1.03 Out Now

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Horizon Zero Dawn Patch 1.03
KNOWN ISSUES

• Some players are experiencing an out of memory error during the game optimization process.
  • Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering or HDR not working correctly.
  • Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.
  • We're aware of and continue to investigate issues that are not yet solved on both the player-compiled lists by u/EvilMonkeySlayer and u/Rampage572 - thank you!

PATCH NOTES

Please note: These notes may contain spoilers!

Crash Fixes

• Fixed a GPU resource leak which could build up over time and cause instability.
  • Fixed a GPU hang that caused a crash that could occur when Asynchronous Compute was used.
  • Fixed a crash when AI would try to aim at an invalid position.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when sound obstruction was calculated in highly detailed areas.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur when moving the game to a monitor with different DPI settings while in the menu.
  • Fixed an issue where some players would crash on startup due to incorrect memory allocation.
  • Fixed a GPU hang that would occur when the window was resized to a very small size.

Progression Issues

• Fixed a progression issue where some players would remain a child and not transition to adult Aloy.

Functionality Issues

• Fixed an issue where snow deformation was not working correctly in the Frozen Wilds area.
  • Fixed an issue where the Concentration skill could stop working.

Other improvements

• 4K Scaling - Fixed an issue where the game wouldn't render at 4K properly on boot.
  • Frame Rate Limiter - Improved Frame Rate Limiter functionality to be more accurate.
  • Localization - Localized specific error messages.
  • Windows Version Check - The game checks if Windows 10 Build 1809 or above is used (lower versions cause instability in DirectX 12).
  • Minimum Spec Warning - Improved minimum spec warning message and options.
  • Saving Issue Warning - Clarified text that is displayed when you do not have access to your My document folder or enough disk space.
  • Player Profile Validation - The player profile is now validated and corrupt profiles (caused by manual editing or tweak tools) rejected.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I installed the latest patch, erased my cache, set nvidia to override to 16x AS, then rebuilt the cache.

Seems to run slightly better than the previous patch.

However, what is going on with the textures in this game? I can put the resolution up to 4K with TAA and textures with fine detail in the interiors still flicker like crazy.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see it getting patches; but why the fuck did Sony think it was okay to release a half-ass port for such an important game coming to PC?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Probably due to inexperience in PC games publishing and a QA process that needs to be improved for future releases.

I'm not so willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. This is published by Sony first party, and they have one of the most competent QA facilities in the world. The majority of the bugs in the game were blatantly obvious and not tied to PC specific problems. There is no way that their QA department didn't see and log these issues.

They knew these bugs were in the game and still pushed it out the door.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got around to installing and playing my steam version. Thankfully it's been nice and painless so far. 60fps for an open world game is niceee.

The only problem I had was the huge deadzones on my xbox controller, making it really hard for accurate shots. Luckily found a solution to recalibrate the controller via steam big picture; and now shooting is great.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Will be picking this up sometime, probably the first sale it has. Is controller or Mouse & Keboard preferable for this game?

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
The kb&m controls are actually very solid.
Ok, I'll give it a go first. It does look to use bow & arrow a lot, so the extra accuracy of kb&m would definitely help there.

Been playing Jedi Fallen Order this week using controller, but that game seems to be built around that, it even recommends controller the first time you boot it up.