• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
Nice! But is the bullet time already fixed? does anyone know?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Finally! Having to sit there for ten minutes after every patch/driver update and wait and not having AF feels so strange in 2020 and a big budget AAA title...

Guess I finally pull the trigger once it's on sale.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Slowly but surely they're trying to make it a good port. Shame it didn't launch in a better state but at least they're not shy about working on it.

Bennehmaru

Oct 28, 2017
So how well does this work now, I bought it and ended up refunding it because on my machine, 9900k and 2080 Ti it just didn't feel like it was performing as it should.

I'd love to jump back in to this if it's performing well now!

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Dumb question, but why has shader compilation become a thing all of a sudden in native PC games? I understand its need in emulators, but in PC games? Why do shaders need to be compiled in advance? Why wasn't that a thing before?

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dumb question, but why has shader compilation become a thing all of a sudden in native PC games? I understand its need in emulators, but in PC games? Why do shaders need to be compiled in advance? Why wasn't that a thing before?

It kind of was, although not as often like it is now, as far as I remember. Battlefield 2 did it back in the day.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Most probably because these are pets of console games

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
since consoles have a fixed spec you can compile shaders for those specific gpus instead of compiling them dynamically when they're called which is a big stutter / performance saver, especially on consoles

i guess since this version of the engine was designed for that fixed spec it was originally written to use precompiled shaders. they can't precompile shaders and just bundle them in to the game because there are so many gpu and driver variants on pc. so presumably someone had to spend some time reworking this port to allow it to dynamically compile shaders.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
So how well does this work now, I bought it and ended up refunding it because on my machine, 9900k and 2080 Ti it just didn't feel like it was performing as it should.

I'd love to jump back in to this if it's performing well now!

I played it well enough with a 2070 and 3700x at 1440p starting at like patch 1.05 or some such (once the hair stuff was fixed). Definitely some pacing issues here and there but i enjoyed my time with it and performance never really distracted me or caused issues for me.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Give it a few more patches and maybe it will be an acceptable level. A discount too.

Oct 27, 2017

It's a performance saver. Compiling shaders on the fly can be an intensive process. If you're playing on an old machine you'll get lots of pauses, stutters and maybe even freezes depending on the game.If you compile them before hand in a menu you'll get a better experience in game.

On consoles you don't need to do it because the hardware is a fixed spec.

I'm guessing most older pc games did shader compilation level by level in load screens. Also probably didn't take as long due to being simpler / smaller in the past. You don't get games that look like Horizon or Detroit running on a PS4 without some witchcraft.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I might finally jump in.

It really is looking like this was a one-off, isn't it?
Too early to tell, imho. Sony sure isn't gonna be promoting a PC version of any of their headliners months before they release a new console. But with Forbidden West also getting a PS4 release, I'm gonna be hopeful we'll see a sequel port eventually.

Regarding the update: better late than never, I suppose. Already finished the game, though, and I've got too much to play now to seriously consider NG+ run at this junction (though maybe later down the line).

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Awesome, sounds like it's finally being polished into a good pc port. Might grab it on the holiday sale if its cheap enough.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Sony have learned to never outsource their own PC ports again. Nice to see the folks at Guerrilla turning this around. Even the Steam reviews are now in the positive.

OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Can someone explain why is shaders optimization happening every time i start the game now? How is this a better solution? Who has a time to sit through this every time when starting the game?

Dec 15, 2017
Can someone explain why is shaders optimization happening every time i start the game now? How is this a better solution? Who has a time to sit through this every time when starting the game?

Yeah, in theory the process should be faster every time you start the game but I am not sure. I wouldn't want to deal with additional CPU usage due to shader optimization every time I play the game.

Now we need them to improve performance across the board. My rx580 should run the game as well as a ps4 pro at least, but the framerate tanks in cities.
I wasl looking forward to play the game at 1800p 30 with normal settings and ultra textures but it's not possible.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
It has not been acceptable for me at all, especially with Dictator chiming in that it was still stuttering after every patch. Poor showing.

I agree; Its not PC AA quality, let alone AAA. I was excited to jump back in after the patch but I might wait it out more especially with COD coming out soon and next gen consoles

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
The dynamic res/ frame rate target are not working properly still, I have to set it to 70fps to get a lock 60fps and there are still dips here and there.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I waited to buy this game considering this debacle.

I still want to play it because the sequel looks amazing but they need to fix it first....

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Dictator

Performance Improvements

• Improved VRAM budgeting which should help prevent VRAM-related instability and improve general performance and reduce micro-stutters
  • Improved Clouds performance on high and ultra settings
  • Improved swap-chain buffering to allow for smoother frame-pacing

I wonder how much this actually fixes.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
These improvements sound promising, I'm glad to see that they're still supporting the PC version!
It was the same on the PS4 version of the game, they kept on releasing and patching stuff for months on end. And mind you that it was a fairly bug-free experience from day 1 there, so they really don't seem to mind going after even the smaller stuff.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It was the same on the PS4 version of the game, they kept on releasing and patching stuff for months on end. And mind you that it was a fairly bug-free experience from day 1 there, so they really don't seem to mind going after even the smaller stuff.

Oh, that's great! I have the PS4 version but I didn't really play it much. I'm still surprised, yet really glad that the game came to PC!

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Sounds like they're heading in the right direction, good patch to coincide with the GOG release this week

It seems like it runs better than PS4 Pro at least and is the best place to play it if you have a decent Gaming PC, but also still quite flawless yet. Hopefully they learned from the bad launch and future Sony ports are better quality from the getgo

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there's still random stutters after 1.08. I haven't tried with V-sync off but I have no intention of playing the game with the setting off anyways.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I have to say the the fidelity fx cas added in patch 1.08 does a great job of removing the TAA smear adding back the sharper details.. I've found the sweet spot to be 40-50%... Have it 50 currently and the IQ is a lot better.

If swap it on and off the difference is fairly stark..

The stuttering is better... But not completely fixed... I do play with vsync off and have Riva tuning server cap my FPS globally @ 140 FPS (just below my refresh of 144). Not sure if having v sync off helps or not?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
After all these patches I'm curious how much better is the pc version now? I skipped on it at launch cause reviewed were hella mixed. But it feels like a lot of work has gone into patching it over the past few months. Is it noticeably better now?

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
After all these patches I'm curious how much better is the pc version now? I skipped on it at launch cause reviewed were hella mixed. But it feels like a lot of work has gone into patching it over the past few months. Is it noticeably better now?

Bumping to ask this same question. Was super bummed out by the initial launch :/

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In my experience, the graphics issues are pretty much resolved. Runs fine for me although I have a pretty good system

My only complaint is that it's not using RTSS. Not gonna happen with an AMD partner game though.