• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe 1080p60, maybe 1440p60. I'm 100% confident this game will get a 60fps mode, I have no F doubt.

Not only this game will get a 60FPS mode, but also all first party titles going forward (and every third party, or 99.99% of them), imo. It's the standard now.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe 1080p60, maybe 1440p60. I'm 100% confident this game will get a 60fps mode, I have no F doubt.

Not only this game will get a 60FPS mode, but also all first party titles going forward (and every third party, or 99.99% of them), imo. It's the standard now.
such confidence. i wish i had the same. I tried playing the original yesterday for a little while (had it installed hoping for that 60fps patch lol) and it was really tough to get use to 30 frame lock. aiming that bow would be so much better at 60.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You've failed to restate whatever this simple request is multiple times. No, I'm not going to waste my time re-reading your posts to beat a dead horse for a proposition you haven't proven outside of limited online discourse.
You misgendered me and didn't apologise, and you couldn't even be brothered to read my posts when I clearly spelled it out and made multiple requests for you to go back and check. It is not on me to hold your hand through these things.

It is all here, though, I have a feeling you're going to figure out a way to get away without acknowledging it.

Citation needed for you, too. Goes both ways. There is more evidence to support what I said though. If you look up reviews on Steam and MC, threads on Reddit, here, other forums... critical reviews... these are all common critiques.

Should it have been? There is no should here. Cloud it have been? Yes. Do some people wish it had been? Clearly.

With considered environmental and encounter design they could have fully retained the combat pacing.

Monster Hunter Rise has a free climbing style mechanic with it's wall running, and that is worked in perfectly with the combat flow. This game could have kepted the same style of climbing it has but had it free climbing and kept the same combat flow in a similar way.
Again with the dishonesty... you're the one who began making claims about "millions of fans" that can't be quantified here. Anyone can read user and critic reviews and feedback across the internet and see these things are common critiques...

If you understood my point that wasn't clear, as your response was beside the point. Obviously it's not the be all and end all, nothing about my comments suggest it is.

Of course it is preferential... been saying that from the start.

Of course it doesn't warrant inclusion by its mere existence... never said it did.

I was responding to your post that was making claims that don't pan out. Stating the inclusion would break combat flow when other games have proven they can make it work, and the fact that a more open world was a common request from fans. None of this is saying the footage for the new game looks bad, or that the original was bad. New game looks great, it was your claims that were the issue.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Then might I suggest inFamous?

There are some things that simply can't be climbed, though:

78498.Jpg

I mean, how the fuck can a superhero scale something like that?

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
You can feel the adaptive trigger support at the end of the first comparison.

Great comparisons btw.

Oct 25, 2017
You misgendered me and didn't apologise, and you couldn't even be brothered to read my posts when I clearly spelled it out and made multiple requests for you to go back and check. It is not on me to hold your hand through these things.

It is all here, though, I have a feeling you're going to figure out a way to get away without acknowledging it.

That is completely on me, and I apologize! If this is referring to "bruh", my intention was not to misgender you. That is essentially online slang/verbiage I use as a sentence opener at times, and not in reference to anyone. But that's easily misinterpretatable, and completely on me as a result.

I don't see any requests in the posts you quoted. I'm at complete loss as to what you are asking me to provide. The only thing I see is regarding a citation, which has been addressed?

Regardless, you aren't going to state it. Clearly I'm not capable of picking up whatever this request is, so let's drop it.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Trending #4 on YouTube gaming. And I take it that if it is big enough it will start trending on the main list as well?

Hmm I also used to think that the IP was called Horizon Zero Dawn, and not Horizon. But I guess it is the latter if Zero Dawn is not part of the title

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
I don't think this is true.

It wouldn't need to be fully free climbing. It could have the same grab and jump to next hold style climbing just not so restricted. As you say, a SotC style. This could have easily fit in with the combat pacing.

It's not simply about wanting it because other games do it, free climbing helps the world feel a bit more open. Monster Hunter Rise has a sort of wide linear open world with wodnerul verticalityt hat makes exlorarion really regarding, and Horizon seems to have that a little too in some of the footage. A free climb system could have made that feel less video gamey potentially... but, hoenstly, it will probably feel just fine the way they have done it.

The main reason people cite free climbing is more because free climbing itself has informed a more free form and seemless open world. Exploration in the original did not feel rewarding to me, the open world felt like a string of combat arenas. Horizon's combat is many tiers above most open world games, so the idea of that coupled with a seemless open world is something really desirable for a lot of people.

I believe they could have achieved that and kept the combat pacing, it would have just meant considered environmental and encounter designs.

Of course... Before we actually play the game we have no way of knowing how it will pan out. Games do not need seemless open world's to have rewarding exploration, they do not need free climbing to feel truly adventurous, the game could absolutely nail both of these things and resolve the issue people had with the original without a big shift.

I think it was a pretty reasonable critique, though, and people had valid reason for wanting it to be more open.

For all this wall of text that you wrote at the end of the day were not the developers. Neither you nor I know the reasoning behind those decisions. They very likely thought of allowing you to climb everywhere yet choose against it. I'm like you disappointed that it isn't included, the thing is our disappointment won't change the fact that it is what it is.

Besides there are other aspect that need improvement other then platforming and hopefully most of them will be.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be surprised if there isn't a performance mode that targets 60 fps, considering engineering-wise, they've already accounted for a significantly lower CPU/GPU "budget" with the PS4 version. Which isn't to say elements won't be cranked up to 11 on the PS5 version, but I think there's plenty of reason to be hopeful.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
BTW I didn't mind Ryse, I mean it wasn't great but far from the worst, just ok. It needed a sequel, and that would easily be one of the best looking games ever if that were to happen.
Yeah it definitely had issues here and there in terms of gameplay. We can only dream at this point if it ever makes a come back. Otherwise HFW is looking spectacular. Will buy it when I get a PS5

Friender

Sep 27, 2020
I hope in their next showing we see more of the open world as opposed to the linear segment that was showcased. It made sense to show us a focused, contained area, but I want to see the expanse.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
Very curious how this looks on PS4....

This is making me want to go back and actually finish the first game haha.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is this game set in the same universe as the killzone series? I swear that Motorhead looking dude was in killzone 2

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
You know your game is amazing when people are desperately scrutinizing every detail in the hope of finding something relevant to criticize. Well done, Guerrilla! 😎
This.

But it's really obvious when people are just trolling or trying to find the worst possible screenshot to comparate with HZD or another game.

The 4k video is meant to be watched on a 4k TV using the youtube app.. do that and you will see how good this game looks.

Is the best looking open world game to date even being crossgen.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I guess all those 30fps games last gen were garbage. Ridiculous take indeed

Anyway them not showing 60fps right now doesn't mean there won't be one.

Also the trailer has hit 2m views!

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah I would be 95+% sure this will have a 60fps mode.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah the level of manchild takes like that is just absolutely ridiculous.
It's the complete lack of awareness and takes that are used as factual statements when they are nothing more than anecdotal opinions at best, factually incorrect at worst that really piss me off which is the vast majority of takes these days.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I just noticed...those clouds are absolutely insane. I hope this is the generation of the sky-box.
Which is nice because during the 5 hour stream the clouds were one of the only things that didnt look the best.

You know your game is amazing when people are desperately scrutinizing every detail in the hope of finding something relevant to criticize. Well done, Guerrilla! 😎
lol. And I just sit back and compare this gameplay reveal to some others in the last 2 years....and ...

c5f.gif

giphy.gif

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Now that there's a grappling hook and glider, if there are no flying mounts I'm gonna be bummed. Imagine grapping up to a flying machine, overriding it and flying it to your destination, jumping off and free falling with the glider, then grapping to another flying machine before you hit the ground. There's so much potential if they add flying mounts 🤞

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
This.

But it's really obvious when people are just trolling or trying to find the worst possible screenshot to comparate with HZD or another game.

The 4k video is meant to be watched on a 4k TV using the youtube app.. do that and you will see how good this game looks.

Is the best looking open world game to date even being crossgen.

And as incredible as it looks, YouTube compression + SDR means it's still not really doing the actual game justice, even watching on a 4K screen. Demon's Souls looks significantly better running natively on my setup than it did in any of the trailers, which were jaw dropping.

Scrutinizing lighting especially, I need to see it in HDR.

Possible Locations of the map shown in the trailer

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Figured y'all would like this.

I superimposed a Google Earth image onto the holographic map shown in the trailer:

The pins represent:
I originally speculated that the three locations with icons in the map (aside from San Francisco) were Los Angeles, Corpus Christi and Key West (in the now submerged Florida).

Redditors helped pinpoint the locations to the ones listed above, which not only are more accurate, geographically speaking, but also make much more sense, lore-wise, given that they are launch sites.

As for the the hexagonal icon in the Atlantic Ocean, close to where Florida used to be, people speculated that it could only represent Cape Canaveral, but that's way off mark.

I assume that, in the Horizon universe, either the government or Elon M-- I mean, Ted Faro built some sort of secret underwater facility near the Florida Keys.

Given Aloy's new swimming skills and equipment, I hope we get to visit it, at some point.

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's the complete lack of awareness and takes that are used as factual statements when they are nothing more than anecdotal opinions at best, factually incorrect at worst that really piss me off which is the vast majority of takes these days.
Yeah especially speaking with some authority on this stuff and then they wonder why devs don't care to even interact with folks because they act like that, and don't even understand why they may do x y z. The 60fps whining for every game is so annoying. They prob will have the option like other Sony games have. But right now it's about the eye candy.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I have a feeling that this will be something like what happened with the first Spiderman on PS4 when people overreacted about the water puddles and other stuff and had to take it back right after the game was out.

I'm sure HFW will be even more insane at launch.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The best part of the gameplay is the absence of loot.
I know it will be in it but I dream of a loot less version, so I enjoyed it (and it makes everything looks less gamey).

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Figured you guys would like this.

I superimposed the closest Google Earth approximation I could get onto the holographic map shown in the trailer:

The pins represent Boca Chica, TX (southwest); Corpus Christi, TX (northwest); Key West, FL (southeast); and Cape Canaveral, FL (northeast).

I originally speculated that the three other locations with icons in the map (aside from San Francisco) were Los Angeles, Corpus Christi and Key West (in the now submerged Florida).

However, it seems that the Texas marker is in Boca Chica, where a SpaceX launch pad is situated, as it matches the real world map location almost exactly.

The final icon appears to be situated in the middle of the ocean, but the closest city still is Key West (and not Cape Canaveral, as some have been saying).

haha this is really neat. Great work. I wonder if it's foreshadowing some story elements for the future

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I will make a clip later but by the gods, the skin deformation for Aloy during in-engine/gameplay cutscene is truly next level in its subtlety especially when it does not rely on the current gen's age old tricks of falling back on deforming along pre-existing wrinkles and creases for most male characters.

And incidentally it is far FAR cry from what Kojima did with female characters in Death Stranding.

Figured you guys would like this.

I superimposed the closest Google Earth approximation I could get onto the holographic map shown in the trailer:

The pins represent Boca Chica, TX (southwest); Corpus Christi, TX (northwest); Key West, FL (southeast); and Cape Canaveral, FL (northeast).

I originally speculated that the three other locations with icons in the map (aside from San Francisco) were Los Angeles, Corpus Christi and Key West (in the now submerged Florida).

However, it seems that the Texas marker is in Boca Chica, where a SpaceX launch pad is situated, as it matches the real world map location almost exactly.

The final icon appears to be situated in the middle of the ocean, but the closest city still is Key West (and not Cape Canaveral, as some have been saying).

Era Uma Vez could you kindly threadmark this post? Thank you.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
Citation needed for you, too. Goes both ways. There is more evidence to support what I said though. If you look up reviews on Steam and MC, threads on Reddit, here, other forums... critical reviews... these are all common critiques.

Should it have been? There is no should here. Cloud it have been? Yes. Do some people wish it had been? Clearly.

With considered environmental and encounter design they could have fully retained the combat pacing.

Monster Hunter Rise has a free climbing style mechanic with it's wall running, and that is worked in perfectly with the combat flow. This game could have kepted the same style of climbing it has but had it free climbing and kept the same combat flow in a similar way.

You cannot ask for a citation on a lack of substantial criticism. You're the one claiming the game was widely criticized for it, so you're the one with the burden of proving that such criticism was not only present, but widespread. Looking at how well the original did, and the numbers and hype the new one is generating, I would say most like their current design philosophies.

Regardless, by the looks of it, this game does have much expanded climbing, only limited to edges Aloy can grab rather than any and all surfaces.

blog.playstation.com

14 minutes of new gameplay for Horizon Forbidden West

An action-packed look at Aloy’s upcoming adventure, featuring new gameplay mechanics, machines, and more.

Not to mention big upgrades to her Focus, which now shows areas that allow free-climbing and gives her the ability to override more machines for mounts or combat.

In my view, you can do climbing in an open-world in two ways.

BOTW did it by having (almost) all surfaces climbable. It was done in order to show the player's progress by the increasing stamina allowing for further climbing, and by doubling down on the theme of freedom. It worked well in the sandbox game they've made. However, the simple fact that not every single surface was climbable indicates an admission by the devs that such a feature breaks the design of more linear areas and puzzles. So, just like you can point out to Horizon being criticized by not having it, I can point out instances where people where disappointed in the new direction Zelda took, and to the fact that BOTW broke its own rules when they became inconvenient.

The other way is by having climbing be more of a puzzle during exploration. In the older Assassin's Creed games, you needed to pay attention to your surroundings to see how you could climb somewhere. Forbidden West seems to be doing that, and I frankly prefer it to the modern AC method of putting your face up against any vertical surface and pushing up on the stick. This is especially important when you consider how complex the environments in Horizon are, compared to the fairly simple and straightforward sandbox in BOTW, which lends itself well to that type of gameplay but is much less impressive.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I want this to have a 60 FPS option too but some of the language being used here is toxic.

Not everything that doesn't conform to your priorities is shit or garbage.

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
60 fps is great. I hope they allow us to have the option like a performance mode or something. But it will never be a deal-breaker for me. If the game is good, it deserves my 70 dollars. If it is not, it doesn't deserve it. Simple like that.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
I was not the biggest fan of the first game but man this showcase blew my socks off. Those graphics are absolutely insane, I feel like I am in a different universe from all of the people that are saying otherwise.