• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 11, 2018
Chapter 1 was the trolls who were never going to buy the game to begin with coming in and saying "89? Game's garbage, cancelling pre-order".
Chapter 2 was "BotW was the better game".
Chapter 3 was the crusade against the 6/10 reviews.
Chapter 4 "Reviews shouldn't be subjective".

4 is so weird. If reviews weren't subjective, they'd all be basically the same, and have the same score, and metacritic wouldn't need to exist.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
That's how your comment read to me.

If that's not what you meant fair enough.

Either way, the reviews literally say it is quite a step up from before, and if that is the case then it won't be surprising that it was mentioned so much when - over time - people have begun to tire of chatty protagonists and Aloy was one of the chattier ones already.

I guess we'll both have to wait and see.

Fair enough. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Given that resetera is an enthusiast forum; it kind of surreal to witness people struggle with the basic concept of personal preference and user experience.

It's one thing to disagree, but to come out with wild conspiracies about specific outlets and their journalistic integrity is just bonkers.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
The reviews have been about what I expected. I'm very interested in this game but I've tempered my expectations slightly. As crazy as it might sound I hated the tribal stuff in the first game. Narratively and aesthetically I just always thought that stuff was really dumb but in a lot of ways for as central to the game as that tribal stuff seemed it was actually kind of window dressing to the real narrative thrust of the game being about unraveling the mystery behind how the world ended up the way it is and how Alloy fit into to that.

The thing is the first game really puts a neat bow on all of that by the end and going off of prerelease coverage and reviews for the sequel it seems to be much more squarely focused on tribal politics. Hopefully that stuff will grab me in a way it really did not in the first game because that main narrative thrust along with the incredible visuals were really what pulled me through that first game as the gameplay was fine but really did not feel like a significant departure from the standard open world playbook to me and this new game doesn't seem to be reinventing the wheel in that regard either.
The tribal stuff turned me off from the first one but I think I'm going to give this one a shot it looks more fun to simply explore

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Dear God who knew a game scoring an 89 with 100+ reviews would cause so much controversy. GG just deserves a congrats for another hit that a lot of people will enjoy.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Dear God who knew a game scoring an 89 with 100+ reviews would cause so much controversy.
literally everyone at this point

thats half of what makes it fun, I guess. seeing what the complaints are. I'm excited to try it, if only to see the purdy graphics, but im TRYING to save myself for Elden Ring. Who knows though. I am not very steadfast with games.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
literally everyone at this point

thats half of what makes it fun, I guess. seeing what the complaints are. I'm excited to try it, if only to see the purdy graphics, but im TRYING to save myself for Elden Ring. Who knows though. I am not very steadfast with games.

The Elden Ring thread will probably be just as much as a wild ride. I'm very much excited for Elden Ring too and if the previews are a good representation of rhe final product, it'll be a hit as well. Honestly we're eating with great games coming out within weeks of each other.

Oct 27, 2017
Given that resetera is an enthusiast forum; it kind of surreal to witness people struggle with the basic concept of personal preference and user experience.

It's one thing to disagree, but to come out with wild conspiracies about specific outlets and their journalistic integrity is just bonkers.

Are you suggesting people approach this topic with...equanimity?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If Elden Ring doesn't score over 90 I'm not sure this place will recover from what happens...

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I could care less what reviews say or what score it got, my purchase was guaranteed the day it was announced. The first one was fun and I want to more about the world and characters. People need to care less about what others think and just enjoy the video games you like.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
If Elden Ring doesn't score over 90 I'm not sure this place will recover from what happens...

I think people will quickly dismiss negative reviews as soft reviewers and move on. The difficulty creates friction which causes a level of eliteness around the Souls games that makes it easier to write off negative reviews.

PlayStation's tentpole games are populist by design and polished to remove a lot of that friction. It's why you have crazy people banging on about objective reviews because the criticism of the game comes down to whether you think the game is more or less than the sum of it's highly polished parts.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how anyone could think that 89 is anything less than a fantastic score.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I'm coming into this thread apparently really late - but how exactly are there 53 pages of discussion about this game's reviews? Especially when its still a pretty goddamn good meta average?

With this page count I was expected high 60s.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
Fewer games are cracking 90 these days anyway, so I won't get too hung up about 89 its still a fantastic score. HZD is my favorite Sony exclusive, and this seems to be unambiguously better, I can't wait.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
Chapter 1 was the trolls who were never going to buy the game to begin with coming in and saying "89? Game's garbage, cancelling pre-order".
Chapter 2 was "BotW was the better game".
Chapter 3 was the crusade against the 6/10 reviews.
Chapter 4 "Reviews shouldn't be subjective".

There's always so many people in review threads claiming Chapter 1 happens. But is there anyone actually saying the game is garbage and cancelling a pre-order?

Other than trolls and joke posts, I don't see it.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly don't get the hype for Elden Ring even though I like all the Souls type games. But it honestly just looks like Souls with a bigger more open approach. I'm sure the exploration is gonna be super fun when I play it but the combat experience and general gameplay doesn't seem revolutionary or different from what I've already experienced.
Looking forward to it but nothing that seems on another level of improvement over what Forbidden West has done over its previous game. They basically seem to have done the same thing which is step up everything that was good about the games before. I'm cool with that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Be prepared. Unless they are doing something really special or different with the open world, I've not seen anything that says Elden Ring is a 90+ game. I'm expecting it to land in the mid to high 80's.
If we're making Metascore guesses based reasonably on FromSoftware's previous output for the type of game Elden Ring is, I think mid-80s is unlikely.

Demon's Souls (PS3): 89
Dark Souls: 89
Dark Souls II: 91
Bloodborne: 92
Dark Souls III: 89
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice: 91
Demon's Souls (PS5 Bluepoint remake): 92

Mid-80s (84-85-86) would make Elden Ring the worst received Souls-like they've ever developed. I just don't see it. They're generally pretty good at either hitting 90+, or getting within a point or two of that. Personally, I predict a floor of 88, and a ceiling of 93, with the latter being an "absolute most ideal conditions" prediction. Realistically, I think 91 is a fairly safe bet, so that's what I'll go with.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
There's always so many people in review threads claiming Chapter 1 happens. But is there anyone actually saying the game is garbage and cancelling a pre-order?

Other than trolls and joke posts, I don't see it.
I was being hyperbolic. There were several serious comments that said that they were no longer interested in the game or that they don't have time to play games that don't score higher than 90. There were also a few comments that cherry picked one or two reviews that differed from the general consensus to support not wanting the game. They weren't super common, but neither were the other three. The reason this thread is at over 50 pages is because of the sheer amount of people responding and saying the same things to a few numbskulls who needed to check themselves, refused to, and therefore wrecked themselves.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think From games would cause these meltdowns.
As the biggest From fan I fully expect some reviews may give it a 7 or lower. Will not bother me one bit. From games are unique and your standard fare gamer and bloodvial complainers who are used to the AAA 3rd person FotM simplistic gameplay will prob not enjoy it.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I dont think From games would cause these meltdowns.
As the biggest From fan I fully expect some reviews may give it a 7 or lower. Will not bother me one bit. From games are unique and your standard fare gamer and bloodvial complainers who are used to the AAA 3rd person FotM simplistic gameplay will prob not enjoy it.
The needless jab at people who think the Blood Vial system is pure shit 🙃

Elden Ring will be their third game in a row with an Estus healing system. I'm pretty sure we don't need to defend Blood Vial farming, considering From themselves have realized how suck it was.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. From fans live in a post review score world. If every reviewer liked a new From game it would just mean the series got all the edges sanded off - and the edges are what makes the games unique.
Except:

If we're making Metascore guesses based reasonably on FromSoftware's previous output for the type of game Elden Ring is, I think mid-80s is unlikely.

Mid-80s (84-85-86) would make Elden Ring the worst received Souls-like they've ever developed. I just don't see it. They're generally pretty good at either hitting 90+, or getting within a point or two of that. Personally, I predict a floor of 88, and a ceiling of 93, with the latter being an "absolute most ideal conditions" prediction. Realistically, I think 91 is a fairly safe bet, so that's what I'll go with.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017

Bloodborne would easily be at a 93-94 if they didn't have those awful loading times when the game initially launched. I remember that being a sticking point in a lot of reviews when it came out.