• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

arkay

Nov 8, 2017
89 eh. A lot of people were thinking it'll definitely be 90+ based on it improving on everything from HZD. Although industry standards did change from 2017 and I understand the "same-y" vibes coming from the game some reviewers have mentioned. Looking forward to playing it but I imagine it'll be overshadowed by Elden Ring.

Are there any clips showing the improved dialogue system? Curious to see how they changed the interactions with the dialogue wheel.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
😂😂🤣🤣 oh boy let me have a good laugh
they're right. there's something different about a game that just throws you into a world where the entire map (in the beginning) is a tutorial with no cutscenes. the little handholding that botw does alongside the sandbox and the puzzles all around the map lead it to deserve that title. you can still like other open world games and agree with this.

I think both games are mediocre but what is so good about exploration in BOTW?

Most of the loot are just bad and even if you manage to get something good they degrade and become useless. Enemy encounters are so repetitive as well.
like I said above, the game just throws you into a world with little to no knowledge on how to do anything. everything you learn is really you exploring it yourself. a lot of open world games hold your hands for like 10 hours before letting you go which doesn't deliver the same kind of feeling.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Trolling and platform warring; history of similar infractions
Unless you don't like BotW in which case it's really annoying watching people try to advocate that every game should move in a direction that you don't want.

Horizon is already a 3rd person action adventure open world game... it's in the exact same direction as BOTW to begin with, it just does things worse.

Oct 29, 2017
Open world games are inherently repetitive, there's only so much you can do to fill a sandbox. Look past the traversal mechanics and you'll find many of the same shortcomings in all but one game, RDR2.

I agree with this. RDR2 is the most "lived in" feeling open world game I've ever played. The number of unique and interesting things you can randomly encounter and do was what allowed me to sink so many hours into it. I agree that other open world games provide better terrain traversal, but I think the map itself in RDR2 is the best we've ever had it.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
How can one be aware of it? What does "consensus" even mean in a clearly subjective matter like "who does exploration best"? How would you even measure something like this? A consensus among who?

I think it probably depends on what is meant by exploration. BOTW is objectively better than other open world games of exploration of physics/mechanics and what you can do to interact with the open world. Other open world games have better exploration in terms of random encounters and NPC interactions. It probably is subjective in terms of who does exploration best in terms of secrets/collectibles - depends on what you value.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
It's still the highest bar when it comes to these types of 3rd person open world games and there's still nothing that's come close to it.
In what way? Maybe sense of exploration but certainly not combat among other things. BOTW is not the best at every category in open world games. Tbh Elden Ring is going to take the exploration title very soon and that game also has dungeons.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you search, it's the third result:

www.resetera.com

Gillette’s inspiring new ad addressing toxic masculinity asks: “Is this the best a man can get?”

Hope they play this commercial non stop, put it in the Superbowl

There's more on why SkillUp is a banned source:

www.resetera.com

Respectfully - Is there ever a circumstance where banned content creators can be unbanned?

To this day I still have zero clue why SkillUp is disallowed on Era. I’ve been following him on Twitter for awhile and he seems to consistently be on the right side of important social and/or industry discussions. This tweet is just one of countless examples. Yet further, his reviews are some...

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
In what way? Maybe sense of exploration but certainly not combat among other things. BOTW is not the best at every category in open world games. Tbh Elden Ring is going to take the exploration title very soon and that game also has dungeons.

Agree. Other open world games have better random encounters, combat, side quests/story, NPCs/town interactions. BOTW is ahead by a country mile in terms of physics system and how you can interact with the elements of the world itself, with most everything being more tangible and interactive.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Agree. Other open world games have better random encounters, combat, side quests/story, NPCs/town interactions. BOTW is ahead by a country mile in terms of physics system and how you can interact with the elements of the world itself, with most everything being more tangible and interactive.
Yeah that's how I see it as well

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly I preferred exploration in games like STALKER and Morrowind than BotW but what do i know.

Morrowind is one of the best games ever made, and one of my top 5 of all time. I agree that I personally prefer Morrowind to BOTW but I'm not sure how much of my nostalgia is coloring that opinion. To its credit I went back and played it again not long ago and still really enjoyed it.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
How many goblin camps in botw are just the same thing but in slightly different environments? How many combat shrines are basically against the same robot but with increasing amounts of health? How many puzzles shrines are just variations of the same physics puzzles?

Ppl act like BotW isn't plagued by the same amounts of repetitive content that other open world games have.

this. i really enjoyed botw, but i enjoy it more as a greater than the sum of it's parts experience that lead to it being an incredibly fun game for freedom of problem solving than having particularly engaging mechanics in a vacuum. eg simply holding forward to scale a cliffside while watching a stamina bar deplete then smashing a stamina+ item to be able to reach any vantage point is not really my idea of great exploration.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Most say story is bland from what I've read
Mixed to nay. Not it's strongest part which is surprising considering it was the first games strengths imo.
Story is mostly nay but have some awesome moments/set pieces that make worth it
Interesting. The story was one of the best things about the first game like RisingStar said. No matter, It's already preloaded, ready to melt my face.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
Horizon is already a 3rd person action adventure open world game... it's in the exact same direction as BOTW to begin with, it just does things worse.
I think doing things "worse" is a subjective take. I for one don't care for the exploration aspects of BOTW (in particular climbing and falling off 2 feet from the top). I personally don't care about climbing everything or being able to go everywhere as soon as the game start. To me, those things in and of themselves are not enough to make a game great. If a game doesn't want me to climb something I honestly don't care. If they want to gate me out of a section of the map until a certain part of a story happens and it opens up, no problem. I don't think those things are bad.

And what's interesting to me is that I love the Soulsborne games in part because of the exploration. But their exploration isn't about climbing anything or going everywhere from the starts, it's about unique and visually striking environments with lots of secrets and items to find. Which probably also wouldn't matter to me as much of the combat and leveling wasn't so fun. Idk exactly where I'm going with the last part here, but maybe the point is exploration doesn't have to be climbing everywhere to be great and that games need great things outside of just exploration.

Last edited:

arkay

Nov 8, 2017
Oh, is there an improved dialogue system? I hadn't heard that. I just knew that the character animations were massively improved during dialogue.

I assumed it was improved since people were comparing the "face-to-face" interactions of HZD to the clips of mo-cap conversations we've seen from HFW. But weren't the latter just cutscenes? I didn't see how they implemented the dialogue wheel in the mo-cap scenes then.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I assumed it was improved since people were comparing the "face-to-face" interactions of HZD to the clips of mo-cap conversations we've seen from HFW. But weren't the latter just cutscenes? I didn't see how they implemented the dialogue wheel in the mo-cap scenes then.
Kinda Funny or IGN mentioned something about this at one point. They mentioned an example where Aloy was sitting down. This person chose a certain option on the dialogue wheel, and then Aloy stood up, walked around doing this dialogue option and then sat down again, and said it felt extremely organic how it happened.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The exploration and freedom just feels so much higher than any other game out there. The game is just constantly encouraging the player to investigate or adventure.

If a game doesn't want me to climb something I honestly don't care. If they want to gate me out of a section of the map until a certain part of a story happens and it opens up, no problem. I don't think those things are bad.

But in an open world game those things are bad, or at least restricting in ways that make the experience less enjoyable. Reviewers already say they wish Aloy's hook could be used anywhere but it can't, it's only allowed on specific places.

Koralsky

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised how few large media (even tech-oriented ones) have mentioned the input lag in 30FPS mode. And more precisely how low it is. As a dev making 3D games for almost a decade I want to know what kind of magic are GG programmers doing to have this input lag at 30FPS.

I love 60FPS but the IQ hit is too much for me on a 65-inch quality TV with great HDR. 30FPS with this low input lag and in 4K was an amazing experience. Here are a few screenshots from me -> https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...amera-sutra-2022.534059/page-19#post-82108423

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
From what I see the story in Forbidden West takes a backseat to exploration, and some might not like that
I honestly don't know where you're seeing that, dude, besides maybe one or two reviews. There is tons of praise for the story and tons of praise for the exploration,. I have seen little to nothing stating the story took a backseat to exploration, but rather that both are excellent.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Oh I guess BOTW fans woke up.

It's 2022. No we compare it to Elden Ring instead 😏
85a27a9dccf152daadbc1ec570d918a2.gif

NerevaRising

Oct 5, 2018
May 23, 2020
If you search, it's the third result:

www.resetera.com

Gillette’s inspiring new ad addressing toxic masculinity asks: “Is this the best a man can get?”

Hope they play this commercial non stop, put it in the Superbowl

There's more on why SkillUp is a banned source:

www.resetera.com

Respectfully - Is there ever a circumstance where banned content creators can be unbanned?

To this day I still have zero clue why SkillUp is disallowed on Era. I’ve been following him on Twitter for awhile and he seems to consistently be on the right side of important social and/or industry discussions. This tweet is just one of countless examples. Yet further, his reviews are some...

Ofcourse I searched before asking but dint find it. Appreciate that you shared it

travisktl

Nov 3, 2021
What's so great about the exploration in BOTW?
I don't get it either. People praise BOTW exploration so much, but all I remember is huge open fields with groups of enemies every now and then. The best parts of that game for me were the dungeons. I don't ever remember thinking "Wow. I love running around this world". It was always, what's the fastest way I can get from A to B? The world built in HFW looks so much more alive and exciting to traverse through.

Jul 2, 2021
They're different games with different goals. BOTW is better when you're all in on the exploration part of the game. The combat or the story are terrible.
And then you have Horizon. Where it's all about the combat and the story.
So they aren't the same games just because they share an open-world and both are using a third-person view. Totally different games with different goals.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I don't get it either. People praise BOTW exploration so much, but all I remember is huge open fields with groups of enemies every now and then. The best parts of that game for me were the dungeons. I don't ever remember thinking "Wow. I love running around this world". It was always, what's the fastest way I can get from A to B? The world built in HFW looks so much more alive and exciting to traverse through.
BOTW doesnt have real dungeons though , just 4 beasts and a lot of copy/paste shrines.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon ZD….pfft
BotW….pfft

Where's my Nier Automata peeps??? The best Q1 2017 adventure!

Look, I love Nier:A and all but that Open World element of that game is really weak lol.

And what's interesting to me is that I love the Soulsborne games in part because of the exploration. But their exploration isn't about climbing anything or going everywhere from the starts, it's about unique and visually striking environments with lots of secrets and items to find. Which probably also wouldn't matter to me as much of the combat and leveling wasn't so fun. Idkexactly where I'm going with the last part here, but maybe the point is exploration doesn't have to be climbing everywhere to be great and that games new great things outside of just exploration.

No, you're right. Going anywhere isn't interesting if every direction has much of the same thing. That's why despite BOTW having some great movement options, I just wanted the game to end after it set in how the majority of what i'll find is the same. Compared to older Zelda games where the dungeons were always uniquely themed with enemies, minibosses, bosses, visuals, narrative etc. and going into BOTW where they're all built from yellow stone and have no unique enemies and share a narrative goal. Overworld ended up being full of the same enemies and collectibles.

Last edited: