• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Screens
FLj3f3l-XEAEYu9g.jpg

FLj3f3-XXo-AAl-WMY.jpg

FLj3f38-WQAE95pa.jpg

FLj4-Gnp-Xs-AEqjd-R.jpg

FLj4-Gn-Xw-AMFe-OY.jpg

FLj4-Gov-Xw-AQT3-C.jpg

FLj4-Gp-YWYBAi20-G.jpg

FLj35jj-Xw-AUFKmy.jpg

FLj35j-PX0-Ag-W7qz.jpg

FLj35k-FWUAEEz-LQ.jpg

FLj35k-YXo-AE3h-Gk.jpg

FLj-K36u-XMAYbm-Fr.jpg
Wow, stunning!

89 is a great score

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
:)

Obviously visually (and performance wise) this looks a lot better. It is just the climbing that many like myself enjoy in BoTW.

Why does every Horizon thread devolves into BotW? Give it a rest already. It's honestly kind of cringe.

Pretty much, and it's been 5 years since it's release, other games have done climbing, combat, storytelling, exploration and boss fights better since then.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like the last game at all and thought it was pretty uninspired for the most part. The only thing swaying me is that people who thought the same seem to like this one.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
88-89 is great. Wish it was 90+, but whatever no big deal personally.

The important thing for me is that this looks like an overall improvement over ZD.

I'm not sure why we don't have a thread somewhere like in Announcements that has a running list of banned outlets, and why. It's frustrating for it to just be word of mouth, especially if there's a possibility that someone says an outlet is banned but they might actually be mistaken

yeah, we need a solid list for banned outlets. Yeah there's the big ones like Angry Joe or PewDiePie, but I still see people often post NX Gamer, ACG, and SkillUp videos here.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
The reviewers I know I am synchronised with loved the game so I am happy :)

As to review scores - I do not care much but I always find it weird when a reviewer is seemingly not liking the type of game they are reviewing so the review becomes as much of an opinion piece regarding the category as the game in itself. Always happens and I always find it odd.

Maybe I'm just noticing it more but I completely agree.

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020
Some people shouldn't be allowed to review games, awful take. He probably hates FromSoft games.

Holy shit that's one of the worst excerpts from a review seemingly ever. I hate the term "gamey" and lmao at a decision decision done to serve the developers interests.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
To your point about Horizon ZD boasting better visuals - I actually much prefer the color grading and environment design of BotW as I find HZD to be incredibly tiring on the eyes with its rugged autumn-y look, to the point where I actually can't play it for prolonged sessions and was one of the reasons why I dropped the game entirely.

They seem to have added more varied environments in the sequel though so I probably won't have the same complaint for FW.
There were definitely varied environments in the first one. Maybe less so compared to the sequel though. From a technical standpoint ZD definitely had better graphics.

SoloTerran

Jun 29, 2018
I watched almost all the video reviews and read a few written ones. Overall I felt that the GameSpot review did the best job of representing the games strengths while pointing out its flaws.

I understand reviews are very subjective, but GameSpot I felt did the best job at critically reviewing the game from a somewhat objective viewpoint and most accurately represented the game. (My subjective opinion).

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
It's a core mechanic of Piranha Bytes games (Gothic, Risen and Elex). Aside from them plenty of other RPGs use it too, e.g. Deus Ex, Bloodlines, Divinity and even Dark Souls 2 to an extent.

I prefer it to infinite respawns as it gives the player a proper sense of progression. Why would you be killing all these enemies if they just return a day later? Although you do need to strike the right balance. Gothic 1 and 2 solve this by spawning different enemies in later chapters. But these enemies are also one and done.
Infinite respawns make sense in Horizon's context and lore tough. The machines are basically the wildlife and animals of the world and have a purpose. They have some functions and they are assigned to specific territories based on their tasks. In case of a lack of operating machines, more will be built in the cauldrons and dispatched to their respective territories.

Additionally, the most satisfying thing about Horizon is hunting/fighting huge robot dinosaurs. Having a barren world without those challenging robots would be disappointing and will hurt the game replayability.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This is an extremely narrow view. RDR2 has a great sense of space and potential for exploration, Ghost of Tsushima is another good example. Some of the earlier AC titles were also pretty good in this department.
I actually didn't like GoT's exploration. WAY too much of the same repeating stuff like fox dens.

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020
These 6/10 reviews read like satire tbh

Well let's be honest which reviews get lots of attention with big game releases where 88-94 range scores are in? The ones that are lower. They stick out and get more clicks and discussion. Not to say that every lower score is intentional for attention but you can't help but wonder in a world where clicks are king especially when you read some of what's in them.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
I actually didn't like GoT's exploration. WAY too much of the same repeating stuff like fox dens.

GoT is the problem with exploration. Run around the map with low variety of types for power that becomes increasingly pointless and forced.

The games strength was it's combat and visuals. I don't think I've heard anyone saying how they enjoyed traveling GoT's world without it being tied to the theme / visuals

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if you're aware, but that's a pretty common consensus.

Ok ?, good for you and people that think that BOTW is the end of it all. Multiple games do exploration better than breath of the wild and you don't see fan of those games shitting on other threads every damn time.

Not only is forbidden west expanding in verticality where you can climb mostly everything you can also go under water and explore underwater ruins and such.

Let me know when link gets near a body of water and doesn't drown to death in a shallow puddle of water.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
I always love watching review threads gradually devolve into your average r/gaming comments section.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
PSA. I just went on YouTube and saw channels uploading spoiler-y videos. It's only a matter of time before the ending and such get posted on there on the home page.

ket

Jul 27, 2018

How many goblin camps in botw are just the same thing but in slightly different environments? How many combat shrines are basically against the same robot but with increasing amounts of health? How many puzzles shrines are just variations of the same physics puzzles?

Ppl act like BotW isn't plagued by the same amounts of repetitive content that other open world games have.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Ok ?, good for you and people that think that BOTW is the end of it all. Multiple games do exploration better than breath of the wild and you don't see fan of those games shitting on other threads every damn time.

Not only is forbidden west expanding in verticality where you can climb mostly everything you can also go under water and explore underwater ruins and such.

Let me know when link gets near a body of water and doesn't drown to death in a shallow puddle of water.
I didn't say I think it's the best. I'm saying it's a very commonly said thing but you reacted like you had never heard it before.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
How many goblin camps in botw are just the same thing but in slightly different environments? How many combat shrines are basically against the same robot but with increasing amounts of health? How many puzzles shrines are just variations of the same physics puzzles?

Ppl act like BotW isn't plagued by the same amounts of repetitive content that other open world games have.
Was gonna say. BotW was a pretty boring world to explore for me.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
now that we have this game out of the way, guerilla can finally work on the dream game

Horizon: Forbidden Weast

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
FWIW, Jeff Cannatta, who is a tabletop game enthusiast, raved about the Strike game in Horizon in this week's DLC podcast. I heard a bunch of reviewers gloss over it but he was glowing about the depth of the mini-game.
This is what I wanted to hear. Kinda Funny touched on it but they complained that it was too complex but didn't really explain much about it at all. It looks really interesting to me, almost like Final Fantasy Tactics with all the raised terrain and different units.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

Repetitive combat scenarios are a staple of open world games, and BOTW is no exception. People praise BOTW's exploration because you can frequently come upon genuinely surprising, weird, and mysterious environments and scenarios. I don't think anybody would argue that its world is perfect or that it doesn't have a lot of the same repetition that other games do.

I wasn't into GOT's exploration because it was never surprising or particularly interesting, and it was the definition of padded. I think it's a really good game, but the exploration was probably the weakest part of it.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Just about the exact scores/impressions I was expecting: well-done, iterative sequel. Some will criticize it not evolving enough or open-world burnout. But its still a beautiful looking sequel.

I'm there, just not Day 1 bc of Elden Ring. Reviewers saying it needs some patching make that decision even easier.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
It's still the highest bar when it comes to these types of 3rd person open world games and there's still nothing that's come close to it.
Unless you don't like BotW in which case it's really annoying watching people try to advocate that every game should move in a direction that you don't want.