• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Haha, I was like way off the mark(94) by a mile and I'm not going to cowardly wiggle my way out of this bet. Whenever you're ready, pull the trigger.

Just want to say I hope everyone has a good time with this game.
You're a good sport.
Make sure to really tighten your core just before you take the blow from the banhammer. Ride the wave backwards, don't fight the force, or it'll rupture your organs, spinal cord. When you land on your back, don't try to get up immediately, let the pain and shock subside first.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
That's not what free climbing is in the context of games. You can only climb things that are marked as climbable. Free climbing is climb anything like BOTW or Genshin.
I didn't say it was free climbing. I said you don't have to use detective vision.

Side note: Free climbing is dumb and I wish BotW didn't put it into some people's heads that all open world games need it. It's an anathema to level design and I want it as far away from the games I play as humanly possible.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Spoiler

I can imagine the PS4 at this point be like

how-how-bro.gif

Amazing!

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
"Or most likely Elden Ring", what ? I am not sure to understand what BotW has in common with ER.

Based on what I've seen from videos , Elden Ring is very similar to BOTW in terms of looking at the landscape and marking where you want to go (it even has the same markers to place on your map). Souls games just in general have this philosophy in terms finding secret areas without any guidance. The only guide you seem to have in Elden Ring is the golden trail and thats pretty much it. I'd say the way it seems to approach open world design is very similar to BOTW.

Agi

Jun 26, 2020
This post is really pretentious, even by Era standards, and that's saying something. By your logic the only game you played last year was FH5 and in 2020 Hades and TLOU 2.
I don't care. Yeah those games I have played, in addition to games from my backlog.

The scores are a little less than what I wanted but they are still great, it's the criticism to performance/glitches/bugs that got to me.

I did the same with Death Stranding, only played the director's cut recently and it was a stellar experience.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Very nice. My PS5 is ready. I'm not going to read or watch any reviews but seeing those scores makes the wait harder.
I know it's mostly said in jest here but I personally don't have the time to waste on anything other than excellence, there are far too many great games both upcoming and in the backlog.

And I seriously don't have the patience anymore to withstand crappy performance issues/bugs.

I'll maybe get once it's patched up or in a director's cut or something.
Are there performance issues?

As a person with limited time as well, I understand your position. It's not one I would take, but I understand. My position is playing and finishing my most anticipated game no matter what and that's Elden Ring. Lots of games will be put on hold after it's released.

Last edited:

kolsonk

Jul 6, 2021
Never understood why some people decide to play/not play a game entirely based on how someone else reviewed the game

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care. Yeah those games I have played, in addition to games from my backlog.

The scores are a little less than what I wanted but they are still great, it's the criticism to performance/glitches/bugs that got to me.

I did the same with Death Stranding, only played the director's cut recently and it was a stellar experience.

Performance? It's pretty much locked 60 and 30 depending on the mode.

May 14, 2021
I am not sure to understand what BotW has in common with ER in terms of world building. And about that tweet, HZD pushed the medium in its first iteration, its gameplay is on top if you apreciate tight arcade feelings. Ubisoft hasn't provided anthing like this.
Immortals is from Ubisoft and has great open world combat. I believe his ER comment is about discoverability and how it's similar to BOTW. I don't know if he's assuming that or he's actually played it to know it's true.

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
I've been reading a lot of reviews on the game, and they are all very mixed bag. However, I'm certain, that first game had significantly better release. But, these days, you can never go with reviewers word; remember, how they got us into buying Cyberpunk with crazy 10 numbers?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Never understood why some people decide to play/not play a game entirely based on how someone else reviewed the game
I can understand if they're on the fence or had serious misgivings about the previous game in a franchise, something like that.

A highly acclaimed game might convince someone to try it out that had no interest at all beforehand.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
These reviews are pretty much what I expected - Though I'm a little surprised they didn't evolve the open world beyond the Ubisoft archetype.

Hopefully I enjoy the story more than I did in Horizon 1. I really hated the stuff that didn't relate to the lore.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
As someone who just Platinum'd Zero Dawn in preparation for this, the criticisms in these reviews have me worried. It feels like it might double down on the aspects of ZD I disliked the most.

ShinyCoin

Oct 15, 2020
So the game is similar to Mass Effect 2, in the sense that the characters carry the story, instead of the main conflict

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been reading a lot of reviews on the game, and they are all very mixed bag. However, I'm certain, that first game had significantly better release. But, these days, you can never go with reviewers word; remember, how they got us into buying Cyberpunk with crazy 10 numbers?
Are you good? 89 average is a "mixed bag"?

What is wrong with some of you people on this forum LOL

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I just watched Digital Foundry's tech review and that is all I need to know it will be a treat to play. Looking forward to this and glad it's getting solid reviews across the board!

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
1 pt from 90mc sounds very mixed indeed

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Sounding fantastic. Only thing that concerns me is the size of the game as I just finished mainlining the first game. Think I'm probably still in on day one as it sounds like a more improved version of the first game.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
Fair feedback, but a review's not really meant to be a dossier in my opinion. I guess it depends what you're hoping to get out of a review. You can find loads on the accessibility aspects on the PS Blog.

I get what you're saying but to me that's part of the review. As what the performance or quality modes are and how well they work have a impact on the enjoyment of the game for a lot of people. How accessible a game is and how the features work impact the enjoyment of the game and should be reflected in the score.

When I read a tech review for a GPU for instance they review that power levels, they review low resolution frames high-resolution frames, they review with dlss on/off FSR on/off, etc. They review the entirety of the product and then provide an opinion based on the entirety of the product.

I feel like games have changed but reviews are the same reviews I would read in EGM years ago as a child. They often don't take into account or meaningfully review all the features of a product. The gameplay can be great but if the accessibility features are bad that should be called out, that should be reflected in the score. If the frame rates dip or how that game takes into account quality and performance modes should be reviewed as they are part of the package a consumer is buying.

You can say reviews aren't supposed to be dossier and that's fair but they should fully review the product and that's not really happening. The reviews as they exist now mostly review the gameplay and story with nothing else mattering. That was fine in 90's and 00's. As a society, we are moving to be more inclusive. Ten years ago, accessibility features you could find in a game were paltry enough that it wasn't worth reviewing and people weren't asking for them. Now that's not the case. Microsoft built an entire controller based on the accessibility. The reviews should atleast review those features and if they aren't present say that. As that's how those features get in the next game. I'm not saying I need 2000 words on colorblind mode or a digital foundry review on quality vs performance. However, it would be fair to say game X lacks quality mode and is locked to 30fps and then short line or two on how they felt about that.

I could go on but I'm sure you get the idea and this isn't meant to be an indictment on reviews. I just wish reviews were more inclusive and weighed the full feature set of modern games.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020

Eh?

Not even close to the same thing here. Cyberpunk had a very different issue. There, CDPR misled everyone about the state of the game prior to launch. They didn't even allow any reviewers to share video of the game until release date (IIRC). When reviewers realized this, they went back and downgraded their reviews.

The fact that the HFW embargo is 4 days before release, and that a few members of press got to play 4-5 hours 2 weeks ago, is saying something.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds basically exactly like I expected it to be, but not really transcendent. I'm still in of course!

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I mean why bring "Sony cinematic games bleh" into the mix? Taking Nintendo who's the opposite of that, Pokemon and Zelda games (until BOTW) have been notoriously known for their handholding, or have you forgotten the fairy companion in most 3D Zelda games.
I agree with you that older games do not hold up in that department either, even from Nintendo. I was in fact talking about devs in general, not just Sony.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you're saying but to me that's part of the review. As what the performance or quality modes are and how well they work have a impact on the enjoyment of the game for a lot of people. How accessible a game is and how the features work impact the enjoyment of the game and should be reflected in the score.

When I read a tech review for a GPU for instance they review that power levels, they review low resolution frames high-resolution frames, they review with dlss on/off FSR on/off, etc. They review the entirety of the product and then provide an opinion based on the entirety of the product.

I feel like games have changed but reviews are the same reviews I would read in EGM years ago as a child. They often don't take into account or meaningfully review all the features of a product. The gameplay can be great but if the accessibility features are bad that should be called out, that should be reflected in the score. If the frame rates dip or how that game takes into account quality and performance modes should be reviewed as they are part of the package a consumer is buying.

You can say reviews aren't supposed to be dossier and that's fair but they should fully review the product and that's not really happening. The reviews as they exist now mostly review the gameplay and story with nothing else mattering. That was fine in 90's and 00's. As a society, we are moving to be more inclusive. Ten years ago, accessibility features you could find in a game were paltry enough that it wasn't worth reviewing and people weren't asking for them. Now that's not the case. Microsoft built an entire controller based on the accessibility. The reviews should atleast review those features and if they aren't present say that. As that's how those features get in the next game. I'm not saying I need 2000 words on colorblind mode or a digital foundry review on quality vs performance. However, it would be fair to say game X lacks quality mode and is locked to 30fps and then short line or two on how they felt about that.

I could go on but I'm sure you get the idea and this isn't meant to be an indictment on reviews. I just wish reviews were more inclusive and weighed the full feature set of modern games.
I agree with you.

Games journalism and reviews are, imo, pretty low in quality overall. Even my favoured outlets have slipped a bit over the years. The majority of reviews I read are not that insightful or well written for a baseline, but absolutely do not cover enough of the details too.

I really wish a few more would cover the things you mentioned as part of their score. If more do it might help push the need for the focus on these things back to developers/publishers.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Based on what I've seen from videos , Elden Ring is very similar to BOTW in terms of looking at the landscape and marking where you want to go (it even has the same markers to place on your map). Souls games just in general have this philosophy in terms finding secret areas without any guidance. The only guide you seem to have in Elden Ring is the golden trail and thats pretty much it. I'd say the way it seems to approach open world design is very similar to BOTW.
FROM games are all labyrinths, and secrets areas related to nebulous side-questing that almost no one would discover without external help (they said having removed such requirements in ER). If you wanted to say that the narration is minimalistic and the player carried by exploration yes, but it has nothing to with how the world of both game is crafted, and how the gameplay is impacting exploration. That said I understand the preference for one or others, especially for such games that are usually long to finish.

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
What you've said has nothing to do with reviewers not being articulate. I don't personally think it's the job of every single reviewer to go into the ins and outs of every graphic mode and accessibility option. A review is an account of someone's experience with the game, not an exhaustive dissection of every single nuance of resolution, frame-rate and feature set.

Digital Foundry covers the technical aspects you want anyway so I don't really see the issue.

Again, I'm not asking for a dissection. I need assurances.

If the reviewer does not have info on what the game's FPS is (surely easily available from the publisher), is the game's FPS stable in either mode? Yes or no.

Does the game have accessibility options now considered the norm for AAA games? Yes or no.

Did the reviewer encounter any bugs or crashes post-patch? Yes or no.

Load times? Surprisingly long, or seamless transition between areas?

What did the game's difficulty feel like? Did they play around with settings? How were the controls? Did they feel snappy or counter-intuitive? What does the audio sound like? (a valid question considering AAA games from the likes of Arkane sound like trash)

In short, what the fuck is the experience like for the consumer as a player.

Some reviews read like film school essays, pontificating on Aloy's journey, inexplicably spending 200 words recapping HZD for the reader, lavishing praise on the devs for making a masterpiece. Cool, that's nice. I'm glad you liked it. Shame you couldn't tell me what it feels like to play it.

To state the obvious, I'm not brushing all reviews with this rant-brush. Just the ones I keep finding with dismay. Ironically to the people asking if I want a 'buyers guide', these reviews are the ones that sound like official press releases.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
You don't have to use detective vision, from what's been shown it's just a case of "If the geometry looks like it has a handhold then you can grab it". They just don't have Aloy scaling walls like Spider-Man.

That's false. You have to use detective vision to check what's climbable or not. For instance, two instances of similar looking red stones can react differently. You have to scan where the designers intended you to climb.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
That's false. You have to use detective vision to check what's climbable or not. For instance, two instances of similar looking red stones can react differently. You have to scan where the designers intended you to climb.

Dont be a punk and leap at everything instead of scanning

Live on the edge

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
In the Digital Foundry video they climb a mountain without using the focus once, it seems to not be as intuitive as it should but I don't think you need to use it all the time.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Again, I'm not asking for a dissection. I need assurances.

If the reviewer does not have info on what the game's FPS is (surely easily available from the publisher), is the game's FPS stable in either mode? Yes or no.

Does the game have accessibility options now considered the norm for AAA games? Yes or no.

Did the reviewer encounter any bugs or crashes post-patch? Yes or no.

Load times? Surprisingly long, or seamless transition between areas?

What did the game's difficulty feel like? Did they play around with settings? How were the controls? Did they feel snappy or counter-intuitive? What does the audio sound like? (a valid question considering AAA games from the likes of Arkane sound like trash)

In short, what the fuck is the experience like for the consumer as a player.

Some reviews read like film school essays, pontificating on Aloy's journey, inexplicably spending 200 words recapping HZD for the reader, lavishing praise on the devs for making a masterpiece. Cool, that's nice. I'm glad you liked it. Shame you couldn't tell me what it feels like to play it.

To state the obvious, I'm not brushing all reviews with this rant-brush. Just the ones I keep finding with dismay. Ironically to the people asking if I want a 'buyers guide', these reviews are the ones that sound like official press releases.
Man you need to chill, all these things have been brought up in either overviews or some reviews. Just because not every review covers it all doesn't dismiss it. Also you need to realize yes this is their job but it's also not their only project. Many reviews have to go through the game and move onto to write the review and then go to the next game. If you really are interested in the game you wouldn't also take their word for certainty. Nobody should, they are opinions and objective and whether you like it or not is a gamble based on their own opinions.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I know it's mostly said in jest here but I personally don't have the time to waste on anything other than excellence, there are far too many great games both upcoming and in the backlog.

And I seriously don't have the patience anymore to withstand crappy performance issues/bugs.

I'll maybe get once it's patched up or in a director's cut or something.

Maybe this might interest you:

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
When you have nearly a hundred reviewers combining to give this what's basically a 9/10 I'd say the game is pretty good.

Criticisms all seem valid. Some talk about minor pop-in with PS5 and more severe for PS4 (unsurprising). Some mention of extensive systems, most of which aren't necessary to succeed in battle (that was a problem in ZD as well, though on my second playthrough I made more extensive use of things and found life to be easier).

Interestingly some reviews mention story falling flat, but that all just seems subjective to me.