• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
People being mad at a 89. Oh boy….

The fact of the matter is the Horizon Zero Dawn shouldn't have gotten a 89. More like a 84. So you have a sequel that improved on everything but its not going to get a 97 or something. Same score

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this game isn't longer than the previous, perfect length before getting burned out

ket

Jul 27, 2018
The icons on horizon zero dawn map are mostly fast travel camp and just marker of which machines reside in which area. There's not many collectible or quest you had to clear out in Horizon if you compare it to Assassin Creed games.

Like There's only 5 tallneck/tower in the first game

yeah there's honestly not a lot of ubi-style content in horizon zero dawn. i think there's like 10 bandit camps for the whole game?

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
I mean isn't it obvious those saying 89 is low are trolls?

No way those kinds of opinions can be taken in good faith

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
The icons on horizon zero dawn map are mostly fast travel camp and just marker of which machines reside in which area. There's not many collectible or quest you had to clear out in Horizon if you compare it to Assassin Creed games.

Like There's only 5 tallneck/tower in the first game

I think it's also how by default the UI and map are pretty cluttered with loads of points of interest. The first thing I had done when I started Zero Dawn was to keep the UI minimal through the menu options. Many likely didn't do that and complain about screen real estate. It's on the developers to be fair to have more faith in the gamers to naturally want that instead of hand-holding. Sucker Punch did that very well with Ghost of Tsushima.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Man what I'm reading about side quests is really amazing, people are actually comparing them to the ones you find in RDR2 or TW3, bot for writing and quest design which are described as awesome. It appears subquests are even more engaging than the main quest for some reviewers lol

This is an incredible jump in quality compared to the first game, in which side quests were mostly mediocre and with bad writing/weak characters.

Between this and the huge improvement in open world structure, this is probably going to be my dream open world game. Can't wait

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The game looks and sounds great, really looking forward to it.

Really didn't like the first game at release, it sat on my shelf until I got an oled a few months ago and I was looking for stuff to try out and gave it another chance, ended up loving it.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I think it's also how by default the UI and map are pretty cluttered with loads of points of interest. The first thing I had done when I started Zero Dawn was to keep the UI minimal through the menu options. Many likely didn't do that and complain about screen real estate. It's on the developers to be fair to have more faith in the gamers to naturally want that instead of hand-holding. Sucker Punch did that very well with Ghost of Tsushima.

i think ghost of tsushima had the best methods for organically guiding players to open world content. the birds, the smoke and wind GPS were inspired methods.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
i think ghost of tsushima had the best methods for organically guiding players to open world content. the birds, the smoke and wind GPS were inspired methods.
I hated the birds and the foxes after a while, tbh. Ideally you should want to explore a particular location because it looks interesting, not because you have to follow an animal. To this day I think Skyrim is probably the best game at making you want to explore for purely the sense of discovery

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews are great and within the band of scores I expected (85-89 on the aggregator sites). I think people saying 'its the same score as Zero Dawn, I thought there would be improvements' are being slightly disingenuous to how game development and review scores work. Reviews are not done and game development is not done on a linear grounding, they are dynamic, critique is dynamic.

To have two 89 rated games back to back shows consistency in high-quality output. It is extremely hard to stay on that level. The conflation of 90 is great and 80 is okay or just good is seriously detrimental to the review scale (for those who opt for numerical ratings). It is this conflation that has meant 7 is now seen as mediocre rating in games, when it should be far from it. Fair enough if critique around story or about individual gameplay mechanics is not to your taste, but scores are arbitrary and ratings are weighted differently by almost every outlet. It is always my opinion that people shouldn't immediately be put off by just a number.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019

I agree and it doesn't get enough praise for that in my opinion. It struggles with the type of content (aka why eventually you stop following the animals) and its general lackluster stealth/auto fail mechanics but what it does well is heads and shoulders above its contemporaries.

Breath of the Wild and Red Dead Redemption 2 however truly focus on that organic sense of exploration that few match. I understand why people want more organic world exploration instead of icons showing them the way constantly.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
It's the classic first party review thread. It doesn't matter the score, if it got a 92 people would argue how bad it is it didn't reach 93.

It's the most absurd Era tradition.
Everyone remembers the GOW thread where a single review brought it down from 95 to 94 and all hell broke lose.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I was kinda expecting an 89, which is why I planned on holding off to play Elden Ring first (kinda feels like BotW all over again). Still looking forward to it, one of my favorite IP from Sony.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Much lower? What did you expect?!? These are absolutely fantastic reviews...

Really? Much lower? 88 isn't even "much lower" than 100 lol
I expected 90+. I think I predicted 92. I just didn't expect the generally mixed reaction to the substance of the game. I thought it'd be a slam dunk.
The EG review was written by someone who didn't recommend Disco Elysium, so it's automatically irrelevant for me.

Am not familiar with the reviewer on the Eurogamer review but its the same person who gave Kena a rather middling review.

Can t wait to get the game on Friday, loved the first game and this seems to be building on the original in great ways.
To be honest I'm not a fan of reverse engineering a review based on the author. I much prefer the EDGE way of not naming the writer so people can focus on the content.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Where the combat features a complex balance between elemental strengths and weaknesses but you can ignore all that via a rain of explosive spearheads.​

I hope difficulty setting are still relevant for that aspect. Can't wait to play it after plat the first game a month ago !

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
To be honest I'm not a fan of reverse engineering a review based on the author. I much prefer the EDGE way of not naming the writer so people can focus on the content.
I disagree, I think knowing the opinions of reviewers on other games is actually very helpful to understand whether their taste is likely to match your or not. If anything, I think it's stupid to compare ratings from the same publication when the reviewers are different people

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Im a little surprised at the mixed reviews. I was debating trying to really hunt down a PS5 this week for this but it seems many of the things I wasn't a fan of in the first game carried over..I'll definitely wait till the dust settles on this game and see if it's worth it. Still need a PS5 by March 4th for GT7 tho.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Any impressions on the gyro aiming? Feels like they're going really unnoticed for what is such a game-changer when it comes to the game's controls.

Heisenberg

Oct 25, 2017
I know, I also remember how he forgot everything about it a few months later.

Yep. He didn't even argue for it to be in the top ten for GOTY in 2017. He mentioned how he had cooled off on it a bit. So I'm not surprised he's not feeling it as much so far. That's what I'd expect him to say. Pretty predictable.