• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
The amount of will power it took not to open those spoilers.

Must continue to hold steady. Almost the 18!!! HOLD!!!!

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
is there any doubt this game is going to be very highly rated with both critics and players?...it's a no-brainer

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
is there any doubt this game is going to be very highly rated with both critics and players?...it's a no-brainer
We won't know how good the campaign and side quest are, how much open world repetition and so on until the reviews. I've been burned way too much by AAA games in the last few years.

But yeah, im thinking 90-92.

Gusy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's the first time i'm glad I spoiled myself on a game that I've been waiting for.

I'm so hyped right now

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Their CB solution is amazing on ZD, why not keep using it in their engine? I hope this isn't the case, eagerly waiting for DF on this one.
Maybe its checkerboard 4k and checkerboard 1440p... I just hope once XeSS is out and proven to be a viable solution for ps5 they can retro fit it back like how insomniacs keep improving their game engine post launch. XeSS is coming to PC death stranding director's cut in the future which runs on the same engine.

Gusy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't believe we're considering a mechanic to be a spoiler.

It could absolutely be considered as a spoiler. Especially if you've been paying attention to basically all of Forbidden West Discussions and wishlists. And its obvious that Guerrilla was trying to keep that specific mechanic under wraps. If not, that would've been the first selling point for the game in gameplay trailers. (Maybe not the 1st 1st.. but definetly up there)

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Someone just posted spoiler from HFW with a thread here. Sony will soon take this forum down, and I'm not even joking lol

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Eh, I'll wait for actual word on the performance mode settings. Most outlets get these things wrong unless the studio outright claims something is set to a certain standard.

That being said, 1440p at 60 isn't entirely unexpected. I personally hope for a checkerboard solution though.

Dec 19, 2021
It could absolutely be considered as a spoiler. Especially if you've been paying attention to basically all of Forbidden West Discussions and wishlists. And its obvious that Guerrilla was trying to keep that specific mechanic under wraps. If not, that would've been the first selling point for the game in gameplay trailers. (Maybe not the 1st 1st.. but definetly up there)
I really don't see how. It should make you more excited; not dampen your enjoyment because you knew it was coming. I swear, I'm really outside the mainstream of spoiler culture on here.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe its checkerboard 4k and checkerboard 1440p... I just hope once XeSS is out and proven to be a viable solution for ps5 they can retro fit it back like how insomniacs keep improving their game engine post launch. XeSS is coming to PC death stranding director's cut in the future which runs on the same engine.
XeSS can work on consoles?

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Embrace the darkness.

Studies have shown that people that spoil themselves books, movies, etc frequently have a deeper appreciation for the final product.
Each person have to know themself tho regardless of this study.
Me personally when something gets spoiled I tune out, might not even finish the game. VS going in blind, I explore more, read more, pay more attention to dialog, complete and appreciate the content way more than I would if it were spoiled.

Also if the game have 1440 at 60 fps literally no point in me even playing in 4k, like zero point.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
New Japanese trailer, but it contains mostly already shown footage:

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I'd take 1080/60 if it meant it had all the graphical features of the 4k modes outside of resolution, obviously.

Oct 26, 2017
Question for people getting the physical version:

Is it really unadvisable to pick up the PS5 copy (marked at a full price of 89.96$ here in Canada) instead of PS4 for 10$ less?

I've been buying all physical even with the PS5 as I tend to not get that many games (maybe around 10 or so per year) and I like collecting just the cream of my crop. I also really don't like the idea that the ps5 version would be a patch on the ps4… I know I've basically made up my mind and answered the question for myself but I welcome any counter-arguments so please, shoot!

I get you. Ubisoft did the same thing and I ended up getting the PS5 version of Immortals Fenyx Rising for $10 more even though the Ps4 ver had a free upgrade. All for that PS5 banner 😅

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
I'd take 1080/60 if it meant it had all the graphical features of the 4k modes outside of resolution, obviously.

Well, some 1440p modes on PS5 are identical or almost to their 4K counterpart in terms of visual features and quality

Demon's Souls come to mind (very very small differences can be spotted, but not really while playing).

Ratchet & Clank (well, it's not native 1440p, but it's not far off most of the time and it has friggin Ray Tracing)

Lately, the Uncharted Legacy Remasters.

If we want to take open-world, then Miles Morales is not identical, but also very close (also has Ray-Tracing).

You see the trend : all Sony First Party games seems to have 60 FPS modes with a visual quality very close to the 4K/30 mode and at 1440p (or close).

In NONE of the above games I would choose the 4K/30 mode (I did give it a chance for all). The only one I had some level of hesitation was Spiderman because of the crowd density which is adding to immersion in such a big city.

Elog

Oct 21, 2020
One thing that many miss is that our eyes cannot really see any higher resolution than around 1800p if you sit with a 55/65" TV at normal view distance. This is of course different with a monitor since we sit so much closer then (there 4K matters).

With a couch+TV set-up, 4K rendering is a waste of silicon.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
One thing that many miss is that our eyes cannot really see any higher resolution than around 1800p if you sit with a 55/65" TV at normal view distance. This is of course different with a monitor since we sit so much closer then (there 4K matters).

With a couch+TV set-up, 4K rendering is a waste of silicon.

Most of the time I would agree. I can't personally spot differences within the same game between 1800p and native 4K when sitting 2,5m away from my 65 inches, but if the TAA or Reconstruction Technique is not compensating well, I can usually spot all the sub-pixels shimmers more at 1800p.

If there is a good TAA or Reconstruction technique...hell, I'm not even sure I need more than 1440p. I can maybe spot a bit more "softness", but it goes away as I don't pay sufficient attention to it while playing.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Unless the visuals are very noticeable, I'm going with the 60fps mode as well. Would be awesome if DF has a video before the release date.

Oct 25, 2017
You just know a month after release guerilla will announce some graphical option that will be the best way to play.

That's usually how this goes.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
It's pretty rare an open-world title hits the 90's -- there's so much that can go wrong and so much variation in what audiences value. Too much on the map, not enough on the map, things that feel a little broken in one sub-area that brings down an experience. Prone to bugs early on because there's so many variables that are impossible to anticipate, no matter how thorough the QA.

But by all accounts and enthusiasm in media and fans alike, it's certainly a possibility! Would put it as one of the GOATs. Basically RockStar, Bethesda and BOTW are the only open-worlds 93+ I believe?

Seems a chance between this and Elden RIng it's possible we get one or two more in that conversation within a 2-week window, which would be remarkable. I'd certainly be pretty shocked if either were below the high 80's. Should be a fun 2nd half of the month!