• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which do you prefer?

• Quality

Votes: 1,222 42.3%
  • Performance

Votes: 1,668 57.7%

• Total voters

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Damn those are some solid improvements for the perf mode, though another scenario where a game is in a much better state after I complete it. 😬

The people jumping in now are gonna have a great time.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I just tried it out. I still want a 40fps patch, but Performance mode now looks absolutely perfect. Image quality is stellar while we still have 60fps, amazing.

I'd actually love to see a DF video that breaks down what the differences are now.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks to everyone complaining about the image quality! And thanks to Guerrilla for listening!

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if they are using what insomniac did for their perf mode. Esp since they are also doing VRR and 40fps as well.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Performance looks absolutely fantastic now. Holy shit. Next time I'll play through the game I'll go with that. Great job.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I shelved the game due to Elden Ring. I've platinumed ER and am ready to hop back into Horizon FW, looking forward to that VRR patch!

Oct 25, 2017
This is very exciting news. Also happy about transmog because I'm really tired of the outfit I'm wearing. Glad I put the game down for a while!

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Holy shit, they actually did it. The IQ in performance mode was seriously so bad that I thought the hit to performance was worth it but now I can't tell the difference between the two modes. It should have looked like this at release but thank god I still have plenty of game left.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The IQ for performance is fucking ridiculous.
Like first glance I see no reason to even play 30 right now.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Am I tripping or is performance mode almost on par with quality mode? Sheeeeeeeit

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Holy shit performance mode looks so good now. I'd been playing at 4K/30 but I don't think there's any reason to now this patch is out.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Echoing the praise here. I switched to Quality after 60 hours because Performance kinda looked like shit, especially in comparison. Like I'm for framerate over visuals normally but the IQ was distracting and the visuals weren't done justice.

Now I'm not really seeing a difference between the two. Based Guerilla.

I'm not sure if the patch did anything as well to alleviate any bugs (mainly minor but there are a bunch) but so far so good at the continued improvement of this game👍

Stitch AU

Oct 29, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Just started the game on the weekend and was playing in quality mode as performance looked so much worse.

So happy to hear that performance mode now looks much nicer. Looks like I picked the best time to start the game.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, the image quality is amazing now, holy shit. I switched between the modes multiple times, trying to find differences - but it's really, really hard. I hope we will see more games that use this tech for 60fps modes.

Kinda regret now playing through this game at 30fps tbh, I don't think I'm willing to accept bad 60fps modes going forward. I guess I'm just going to skip 30fps-first games until they are playable with great image quality at 60fps, either via an upgrade or by playing them on new hardware (PS5 Pro).

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
A couple of comparison shots. The quality mode has a better DoF and I feel like the shadows look a bit better. Also, I think the drawing distance is better too? Not sure. Regardless, Performance mode looks amazing now, definitely a health resolution bump in there as well.

Performance

perf1eyjvp.png

Quality

qual1xyktr.png

------------------------

Performance

perf2fdjny.png

Quality

qual2bekez.png

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
If this is not FSR2 or their own version of it then it TAAU. Post fx like dof etc looks lower res which is logical. If you look around the edges of char they are obvious.

Edit: on quick glance the inner detail texture are nicely preserved. This is very important for this game since they are aiming for an ultra sharp look. post fx downgrade are expected scaling from lower than native res but doesn't seems artifacty like Checkerboard rendering + uneven pixel scaling at least. Only reconstruction method that can solves alpha affects scaling atm is only DLSS which is only in rtx card so this can be as good as it gets. Always welcome a 40fps mode with max fidelity.

Edit2: now Naughty Dog, time to update your uncharted collection with this. 120fps mode in 4K pls.

Last edited:

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Awww c'mon, just finished the game the other night, and now get the big update.

Welp, NewGame+ is there lol

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the main story last weekend.. lol.

But, I do have plenty of side quests and gear upgrades to still get.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking hell, they did it. Why did I watch that Chris Davies review and get myself spoiled.

Great news for newcomers, though. Bravo!

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
Great job to get this looking so good now in performance mode, it is beautiful! Glad I didn't have to wait for the pc port to experience this properly.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Edit2: now Naughty Dog, time to update your uncharted collection with this. 120fps mode in 4K pls.
You gotta direct that energy at Bluepoint. Which you should, because they also need to do this with Shadow of the Colossus, and Gravity rush, and honestly, it'd be pretty cool if they ported over their PS3 remasters too.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Wow performance mode looks awesome now. Time to switch over. Knew there was a reason that I was holding off continuing this game (other than GT7!)

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they are using fsr 2.0 i wonder
Not as far as I can tell. No signs of artifacts typical for FSR2.
Also I doubt that AMD had porting FSR2 to PS5 API in their priorities for FSR2 launch so it's unlikely to even be ready for use there ATM.

It looks the same now as quality to me.. very impressed.
There are differences besides resolution AFAIR and from screengrabs I just took P mode certainly doesn't look close to being 4K native.
As for whether you will see the difference on your TV and from your viewing distance, well, this is completely subjective.
Personally I didn't see much of a difference even before this patch, on a 65" OLED, from ~2.5 meters away.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
You gotta direct that energy at Bluepoint. Which you should, because they also need to do this with Shadow of the Colossus, and Gravity rush, and honestly, it'd be pretty cool if they ported over their PS3 remasters too.
Sony efforts on their legacy title has been trash so even when bluepoint has become a 1st party I can see them doing it. Like they cant even give up a simple uncapped framerate patch for last guardian. Ppl are raving about Spiderman on pc, but I rather have them focus on bringing the ps3 titles to pc, ps4, ps5. Ie infamous, killzone, motorstorm collections because once all the ps3 hardware die those games are lost forever. Rpcs3 is nice when its working but I find most none UE3 base games are plague with issues here and there. Targeting 3 different platforms has to be a good enough financial reason.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before this update the effects on quality mode used to be better right? Is this still true after the update?