• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which do you prefer?

• Quality

Votes: 1,222 42.3%
  • Performance

Votes: 1,668 57.7%

• Total voters

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
Probs the first next gen game I've settled with Resolution mode. The hit to IQ just is too much for my eyes. It doesn't feel as sluggish compared to other 30fps game. Sure 60fps is 1000000x better but playing Uncharted 4/TLL in Resolution mode felt like molasses and head ache inducing. This doesn't have either of those for me personally. Does anyone else feel the same or am I alone on this one?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm used to the 30fps now, feels good. Not as good as 60fps obviously but (and I never thought I'd say this) the IQ is so much better in quality mode and with the game being so detailed and dense it really improves the overall clarity.

Usually I couldn't care less about resolution but it's the way to go here for me. It was switching between modes while looking at the blight, it's a lovely dusty effect in quality mode, but a bit of a smudgy blurry mess in performance mode so I decided I'd have the clarity over the framerate. Nice to have the choice though!

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probs the first next gen game I've settled with Resolution mode. The hit to IQ just is too much for my eyes. It doesn't feel as sluggish compared to other 30fps game. Sure 60fps is 1000000x better but playing Uncharted 4/TLL in Resolution mode felt like molasses and head ache inducing. This doesn't have either of those for me personally. Does anyone else feel the same or am I alone on this one?

It has good quality motion blur which fixes it for a lot of people. For me, motion blur makes everything worse and simulates an issue with eyes I'd rather didn't exist, but for those that can stand it, it smooths out a lot of 30fps motion.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
That vegetation shimmer in performance mode has got to be a bug. I couldn't see anything like it in any of DF's or any other analysis videos, that's just nuts. If it's not a bug, they should just patch out the whole checkerboard thing, and provide a regular 1440p resolution like UC4 has in 60FPS mode. That looked perfectly fine and stable.

For those wondering why some people complain about some 30 fps games on OLEDs, this is what it looks like on my LG CX.

Check out the 2 trees in the background. It's actually worse when seeing it in person

Most people are going to either watch this on small phone screens or on LCD computer screens, so they won't be able to see what you're trying to show. You have to see it on a large OLED screen in person to really see it. But I know what you are referring to. Games need to have a stronger motion blur option at 30FPS in order to look better on OLED. It's really a problem, and developers don't seem to have a clue about it. One of the only recent games that gets it right is TLOU2. It has a very well controlled camera acceleration curve, combined with a very good (increasingly stronger) motion blur. It's one of the only games in recent memory that has looked and felt fine to me at 30FPS on an OLED TV.

Cookie Dough

Oct 29, 2017
I'm usually one to go with 60fps almost always, but this game is an exception. The image quality in performance mode is just awful. I suspect it's down to how its doing checkerboard rendering? Nonetheless, the way the game is designed visually, I absolutely hate it, so much shimmering.

At least the 30fps is stable and properly frame paced. After a while I adjust to it and it's OK, but I would prefer to be playing at 60, just that shimmering, ugh no. Also I saw that tweet, I don't know if this shimmering was what they were referring to, but I did what they said and nothing changed, so I guess it was another issue.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Quality does look so much better image quality wise then performance, I just can't do 30fps anymore feels like a stutter fest to me, the majority of my gaming is done on pc with a 3080, so everything else I am playing is at high framerates, so I know if I forced myself to stay on quality mode I would eventually get used to the 30fps as the frametime consistency is good but 60fps just feels so much better the loss in image quality is a fair tradeoff to me. and it still looks really good, just blurrier with loss of definitions in the fine details and particles.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
My PS5 is silent no matter what, but it's clear there's more headroom available in quality mode. Really wish Sony would stop dragging their feet and enable VRR so we could just unlock the framerate.
VRR works best at framerates above 50. Even if they add it, that is not going to make developers start unlocking framerates in their games' quality modes if that means the game runs in 35-45FPS range (which is likely). VRR is someting that helps most when the game is targetting 60FPS but has constant drops and small fluctuation, but very few PS5 are actually like that. That said, I wish every game had fPS unlock option in "quality" modes just for futureproofing with upcoming consoles that will be able to max out framerate in that mode, but so far almost no games have it.
Another thing that more developers could add that would be awesome in present time is the 40FPS mode like insomniac has in R&C. If there is enough performance headroom that's a great benefit without having to wait for any future consoles.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh performance mode sucks. The visual noise makes this unplayable for me. This is the first time I've chosen quality mode over performance mode in a video game.

Edit: Wait, did they fix this? I need to check.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh performance mode sucks. The visual noise makes this unplayable for me. This is the first time I've chosen quality mode over performance mode in a video game.

Edit: Wait, did they fix this? I need to check.

The fix was for a bug when using HDR in Quality mode. There was no fix for everything shimmering in performance mode.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Here the good news, someone post that if don't patch the game, play direct from the disk, shimmering is gone on Performance mode, it look very good actualy, but in Resolution mode the shimmering is still there, probably the hotfix don't work with the version on the disk. So this is a patch problem, i hope they will correct this and fast.
Are you sure about this?

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter which mode I use this game has more pop in and graphical glitches than any next gen game I've played. What the hell Guerilla?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
4 hours in, I'm pretty disappointed with the bad image quality in performance mode. I wish the game would look as good as Ratchet & Clanks temporal injection method. There is simply way too much noise / fake-sharpening / aliasing / shimmer-effect going on. It's still a good-looking game, in particular animation and vegetation. I also found out you can deactivate the extreme motion blur in the accessibility settings, which helps a lot to make the 60 FPS feel better.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more I play the performance mode the better it is.
But still. I think we can agree we are all disappointed in the visual quality of that mode. The worst IQ of any ps5 first party game

Jul 26, 2018
For those wondering why some people complain about some 30 fps games on OLEDs, this is what it looks like on my LG CX.

Check out the 2 trees in the background. It's actually worse when seeing it in person

Just watched your video on my LG CX and...

OHH MY GOD! MY EYES!!!!

I've just finished Zero Dawn on my RTX 3080 PC l3 days ago. Being able to play at 4K max settings at 70-120fpps has been a blast. But now going down to 30fps.. man it's rough for me atm. And i'm more of a quality guy too.

Especially resolution mode.. ehhh not a fan of how it looks.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
This goes on the long list of games I couldn't tell the difference in frame rate for. So I went with the one that looks visibly better.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Wth, I think I may go for resolution mode after all.

But I am finding the motion blur really bad on alloy herself...the bow becomes a massive blur when rotating the camera..what's up with that? LG CX btw

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
I'll try to turn trumotion on and play in resolution. That shimmering can be quite aggressive. I don't mind about an additional input lag.
Edit : it didn't change much :/

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Sad about the shimmering on performance mode. Resolution is really not an option on my oled TV (very jarring in motion). Hoping for a patch.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
The blurring is too much in resolution mode, maybe because it's my tv?

Performance node is fine gor me. No noticeable shimmering. It's weird that people have different experiences.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
Performance. It's not great looking with all that shimmering, but 30fps just feels so bad to play with.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
The performance mode is curious to me. It makes me feel like I'm watching a tv with motion interpolation turned on. I've never had a 60fps game do that to me before and I'm wondering what the cause is. Makes me wonder if there is some significant motion interpolation taking place in order to achieve the 60fps.

As an aside, the game is gorgeous in resolution mode. Didn't quite finish the intro/tutorial section, but played a good bit of it. Really impressive stuff. Probably won't get to actually play through this one for a little while, but ended up caving today and bought it just to check out the visuals due to all the hype. Not disappointed at all. Looked amazing on my CX.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
That guy likes crazy settings. He did a similar thing with Uncharted 🙂 Of course, it's his preference, nothing wrong with setting the game and TV the way he liked it.

For me - I use HGiG TV setting with everything set in-game to default zeros. If I considered the image dim, I'd change the in-game settings, but I think the picture is really bright and looks great and doesn't need DTM.
The game doesn't support HGIG which means it does show up dimmer than a lot of other PS5 games

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
I'll quote an old Falcon Northwest slogan :
"Framerate is life"

Also.. I'm at a stage in my gaming life where minimizing input latency is my number one priority. Input lag is the number one enemy of a real connection with your actions in the game. I'll do anything I can to avoid it.. so high frame-rates will always win.

What? Is this true?
Yep. Doesn't support HGIG

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
Playing quality mode and it seems fine to me. Gonna try performance mode today and see how much i like it.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will play on quality mode.

Even on PC, it isn't ever clear cut. I often want to have nice graphical features, meaning in any demanding game 120 fps is a pipe dream. Hell, consistent 60 fps is not always possible even with DLSS (unless you put it to ultra performance mode, which doesn't always look that good...) DSDLSS is great though

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure about this?

didn't test myself yet but here the post:

Deleted and reinstalled the game. This IS ALL I'm doing before a new patch comes out. Luckily, the shimmering effect stopped in PERFORMANCE MODE . NOT IN RES MODE THO, STILL the same. Lucky again, I notice no huge difference. Game is now Playable. Not choppy at all in performance mode tbh.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
For those with technical knowledge, is that shimmering in performance mode fixable via a patch ? Can they at least reduce it ?

DiscoThunder

May 7, 2019
Thought I would be torn after the DF video, but it's easily performance mode for me.
The 30 fps feels like running under water compared to it, lol.

Might try 30 fps for an hour or so to let my eyes and brain adjust to it, but I still doubt its worth it.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
Seeing the reaction, I'll wait for a patch fixing the IQ or offering a 40fps mode.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I always prefer a soft image with no shimmering rather than the opposite.
Give me agressive TAA anytime.

Oct 27, 2017
Might try 30 fps for an hour or so to let my eyes and brain adjust to it, but I still doubt its worth it.

I think this is an important point that not enough people bother with; of course 30fps feels awful if you're coming directly from 60fps - but if you play at 30fps for a bit, often you adjust to it and it feels fine. That's what I did here and now the 30fps feels great and I still get all that lovely clarity/IQ

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Need a setting for quality when I'm running around then an auto switch to performance during combat. Playing on hard and the extra frames are very welcome in battles.

Saying that, performance would look great if there wasn't any shimmering. There is a bit too much sharpening in quality.

Sep 20, 2021
I always think this performance/quality mode choices are a cheap get away for the developer.

You think graphics are bad, just play quality mode. You think fps are bad, play performance mode.

Instead of concentrating on making the experience in one mode as good as it can be. Most users gain nothing from this (if you play in performance mode you think, how would this look in quality mode and vice versa) but developers have a cheap excuse for complaints.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
The performance mode is curious to me. It makes me feel like I'm watching a tv with motion interpolation turned on. I've never had a 60fps game do that to me before and I'm wondering what the cause is. Makes me wonder if there is some significant motion interpolation taking place in order to achieve the 60fps.

As an aside, the game is gorgeous in resolution mode. Didn't quite finish the intro/tutorial section, but played a good bit of it. Really impressive stuff. Probably won't get to actually play through this one for a little while, but ended up caving today and bought it just to check out the visuals due to all the hype. Not disappointed at all. Looked amazing on my CX.

I have the exact same feeling and I thought I was going crazy at first, quickly switched over the Spiderman in the 60 fps mode and had no issue.
Maybe the game was meant to only support 20 fos for the longest time and all the animations, key-frames etc were done to accommodate the best look & feel possible for 30 fps and not with a 60 fps mode in mind at all.
Is such a thing even possible? I have no idea about the technological side of things :d

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I would go for 60fps if i had a PS5.

Has anyone purchased the regular PS4 version? How is it? Is it worth playing it or better to wait till I get a PS5? Looking at DF videos it looked like a pretty good version.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Love that some folks think this is a particularly bad 30fps mode. As opposed to one of the most responsive ones.

We've truly been spoilt with 60fps this gen. As it should be.

I wonder what the game would look like if 60fps had been picked as the baseline at the design stage.. No choice of modes.