• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing it, I&m good with the 60hz mode with the Antialiasing solution from June, looks and runs fantastic. But the more options, the merrier.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
This doesn't seem to work right. If I enable favor resolution it only outputs at 60hz with VRR, so you're not getting 40fps outputted at 120hz, you're just getting anywhere from 30fps to 60.

Edit: Never mind. I see Balanced is at 40hz in the notes. That being said, I'm seeing alot more pop-in that I don't think was there before. Seeing foliage and people stream in affects the image quality.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
This doesn't seem to work right. If I enable favor resolution it only outputs at 60hz with VRR, so you're not getting 40fps outputted at 120hz, you're just getting anywhere from 30fps to 60.
Use the balanced option not res or performance if you're looking for 40

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
As per notes.. to use 40hz mode, make sure 120hz/VRR is enabled on your PS5 and select;
  • New "Balanced" Graphics Mode introducing 40Hz for supported displays

Yes, it's not a question. Just wanted to share the options I see available. I just didn't see a specific HFR option. As another user pointed out it seems it's set to trigger when using the Performance mode in a 120Hz/VRR set.

BK_317

Jun 3, 2022
Since they are pushing beyond 60fps,i'm guessing there are gonna be some sacrifices. IIRC it was already a dynamic checkerboard 1800P with some great Anti-aliasing in perfomance mode so how is it now?

Is it blurry or is the image still as good as quality mode when it is shooting for higher fps? I assuume the DRS is gonna be hella agressive.

JohnDusk

Oct 24, 2018
A bit of topic but I have to vent: As an X900h owner, I am so pissed off. The 40 fps and VRR modes are so good and hopefully going to become the norm for many first party titles but I won't be able to enjoy them because Sony blatantly lied when promoting the tv. It only resolves 1080 horizontal lines in 120 Hz, making the resolution increase pointless and on top of that VRR disables local dimming leading to crappy HDR and poor contrast.

Sorry for the rant.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
This is why I wait, I honestly just cannot recommend buying any of these AAA titles for at least six months because these patches have been significant
I'm glad this patch is out, but goddamn it I wish this had been at launch.

I basically played the worst version of FW at launch.

No more buying or playing games at launch for me I guess.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get the appeal of the 40fps modes.

Tried it in Ratchet and the extra 10fps from the 30 mode doesn't really add anything. It still feels like shit compared to 60.
Same.
I mean as an option it is certainly better than 30 - if the graphics and IQ are more or less the same.
But the difference isn't huge, and to me 40 feels and looks a lot closer to 30 than 60.

Since they are pushing beyond 60fps,i'm guessing there are gonna be some sacrifices. IIRC it was already a dynamic checkerboard 1800P with some great Anti-aliasing in perfomance mode so how is it now?

Is it blurry or is the image still as good as quality mode when it is shooting for higher fps? I assuume the DRS is gonna be hella agressive.
Not really. The game was locked 60 basically which means that there were some performance headroom left. By unlocking from 60 and using VRR in 60-120 range you're basically using this headroom without any impact to IQ or graphics.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017

It only cuts resolution when the engine can't render the scene at 60fps without DRS. That will still be the case. 61+ fps should only happen on the scenes where the game was running at 60fps before the patch, since the game might have been underutilizing the GPU in those cases.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
See Capcom how you make your fans happy? Communication and listening to feedback to improve your games. Not abandoning the games at the first chance possible and giving fans the silent treatment like with your Resident Evil games.
This pains me fiercely. I should have known better from DMCV's PS5 version but they still did this
Can you elaborate? I thought DMC5SE was superb, and I'm not aware of issues with RE.

TKWarner

Feb 28, 2021
A bit of topic but I have to vent: As an X900h owner, I am so pissed off. The 40 fps and VRR modes are so good and hopefully going to become the norm for many first party titles but I won't be able to enjoy them because Sony blatantly lied when promoting the tv. It only resolves 1080 horizontal lines in 120 Hz, making the resolution increase pointless and on top of that VRR disables local dimming leading to crappy HDR and poor contrast.

Sorry for the rant.

At the moment, only OLED TVs offer VRR and 120 Hz support without distorting image quality to a significant extent by lowering contrast. The X900H isn't the only LED-based display with this shortcoming. Local dimming and VRR at the same time seem to present too much of a technical challenge.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Buying a CX last year has been on of my best investments for gaming i ever did. VRR stuff is really something else.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
For the technologically challenged, which gives me the most effects at 4k and higher FPS?

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I am grateful people like him has been complaining since launch, I feel like this game have improved so much only because of our consistent complaints in Twitter and Reddit.

The game didn't look right at launch and there was so much people defending it, it was ridiculous

You kinda imply that the developers just didn't care. I think they know very well what needs some additional work, it's just very likely that various graphics fixes and modes got kicked down to priority list because of other (probably actual game breaking) issues.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting for that 40fps mode. Was so good in Ratchet.

I'm ready to start my NG+ now and play this game for another 100 hours lol.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe now people will actually give this game good recognition. Because it's amazing.

Too bad I can't make use of these modes since the ps5 doesn't let me use HFR or my 1440p resolution on my monitor.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I am getting 70fps and higher in Plainsong. This is amazing.

I'm sticking to 40fps mode.

So if VRR is enabled is the 40fps mode an unlocked framerate with a 40fps floor or is it a 40fps lock?

Honestly, after trying the 40fps mode in R&C I'm not really as high on it as the DF crew seems to be. I mean, it's nicer than 30fps, but I don' think it approaches 60+ in any way like they kind of imply in terms of smoothness.

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
To me, 40 fps is the point that gets you over the jerkiness of 30 fps, so I really appreciate such modes popping up here and there in PS5 games. What I do wonder is if Balanced and Quality look exactly the same in terms of Resolution? Haven't tried the game yet, but do particle effects at least continue look good on Balanced? That one continued to have a really low resolution look in Performance even after the latest patches

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
If I have to guess based on the patch notes

VRR uncapped frame rate, also lower the fps target to like 55fps or anything higher than 48fps to keep VRR engaged in 60hz VRR display.
HFR 120hz display enable 40fps mode and lift the fps ceiling from 60fps to 120fps.

To me, 40 fps is the point that gets you over the jerkiness of 30 fps, so I really appreciate such modes popping up here and there in PS5 games. What I do wonder is if Balanced and Quality look exactly the same in terms of Resolution? Haven't tried the game yet, but do particle effects at least continue look good on Balanced? That one continued to have a really low resolution look in Performance even after the latest patches

easiest way to check is to simply bring up the weapon wheels. In the previous performance mode, the DOF for distance objects are the most obvious differences in image quality reduction. It has a lot of shimmering probably due to the checkerboard rendering artifacts

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
we have VRR!
Amazing!

Where is it?
It's per game
What?
Yeah it's game by game

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
I will play devils advocate here, if they hadn't push VRR game by game we would never have any of those 60+fps modes. Maybe one or two games sprinkled here and there, but now we have 2 Sony first party studios pushing the option of 60+ unlocked modes.

It would be just another system option, one that *might* smooth games with bad perfomance.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Ok this sounds awesome but I'm so confused by the options.

I have an LG CX and PS5 so which mode is best for the prettiest game?? (That's higher than 30fps)

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
impressive. Guerilla beeen sewing patches at a non stop pace.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I have the option to play 40FPS mode with my LG CX, but I am curious about the responsiveness/input lag compared to 60FPS mode.

Would both modes be similar in terms of responsiveness?

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Awesome work, GG! I'm looking forward to my first play-through.

Question though... I played through Spiderman a month ago on the PS5 with the 40fps/120Hz mode enabled (VRR off). The benefit of doing it that way over Performance mode was an increase in population density in the city, as well as ray-traced reflections off of surfaces (like building windows and the like). The player also enjoys an improvement in resolution, of course.

For Horizon:FW, what are the significant improvements in Balanced mode besides resolution when compared to 120fps Performance mode? The reason I ask is because the June patch for this game had everyone crowing about how close to Resolution mode everything besides resolution looked with 60fps Performance mode (the shimmering was fixed). The game doesn't have ray traycing, and if activity density is about the same in all modes, what are the best reasons other than resolution to pick Balanced (40fps/120Hz no VRR) over Performance (120fps, no VRR)?

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
I will say that the 40 fps mode doesn't feel like Insomniac's output with R&C or either spiderman.

It really sucks that the VRR is not implemented on a system wide level with LFC. Don't think guerilla did anything with LFC and just locked the 40 fps mode where in R&C it's unlocked and absolutely incredible.

to me there is no better option than the performance mode at this point IMO.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
I love these 120fps VRR patches just for the "future proofness" aspect, even if you're not really seeing more than 65-75fps currently. 100-120fps on a PS5 Pro/PS6 is going to be glorious.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
I have the option to play 40FPS mode with my LG CX, but I am curious about the responsiveness/input lag compared to 60FPS mode.

Would both modes be similar in terms of responsiveness?
60 would be faster of course. Some games have more latency than others but here is a nice little comparison Leadbetter did with Rift Apart

View: https://youtu.be/QXi7uO7wxdc
unknown.png

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Was waiting for the 40FPS option before continuing.

Game launched in a mess, but it's getting much better