• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Clamberjaws.

As for Machine Strike I found that going all aerial pieces makes it a lot easier. My main team (before I got a Stormbird) was some Sunwings and Glinthawks. Mobility is such a big factor in that game.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
does the damage from powershots (valor surge), stealth ranged+ (passive ability) and braced shot (active ability) stack up?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
One recommendation would be the Powershot valor surge combined with Braced Shot, which basically puts an OP rocket launcher at your disposal. Braced Shot in general should not be overlooked.

My general advice would be to experiment with them freely because valor and stamina are abundant and the combat is balanced in a way that seems to assume you'll use them.
Just out of curiosity how does Powershot and Sustained Burst interact? Will it cost you 0 ammo and are all the shots boosted while it is unloading the entire ammo clip? Although you might be better off using braced shot twice or braced shot plus advanced explosive spikes for the remaining shots.

I have the legendary boltblaster that shoots explosives and armor piercing ammo but not really sure if it's even worth using when braced shot is so good or utilizing explosive spikes / regular spike plus propelled spike skill.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you guys playing Machine strike ? I have just done the first tutorials in Chainscrape and didn't bother to go further.
In addition, I am the only one to feel the pouch crafting mechanic a bit wrong ? I am fighting giant robot in order to save humanity, but god forbid if a squirrel/racoon/rabbit/owl cross my path, it will meets my wrath and its end...
I'm usually a sucker for these types of minigames, but I just couldn't wrap my head around this one. I was getting destroyed, even in the tutorial. Might come back to it later.

Oct 27, 2017
35 hours in and only just reached the coast getting Demeter. Amazing graphically, the rolling waves, the sunlight on and under the water.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
does the damage from powershots (valor surge), stealth ranged+ (passive ability) and braced shot (active ability) stack up?

I've tested this and powershots does not affect skills as much as you would think. Powershots and stealth ranged+ stacks as you would expect though.
Some numbers on normal difficulty with a maxed out Forgefall against an unaware Tremortusk:

Single normal shot: ~660
Braced shot: ~1880
Braced shot with level 3 Ranged Master active: ~3330
Regular shot with level 3 Powershots active: ~1880
Braced shot with level 3 Powershots active: ~2300

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Just out of curiosity how does Powershot and Sustained Burst interact? Will it cost you 0 ammo and are all the shots boosted while it is unloading the entire ammo clip? Although you might be better off using braced shot twice or braced shot plus advanced explosive spikes for the remaining shots.

I have the legendary boltblaster that shoots explosives and armor piercing ammo but not really sure if it's even worth using when braced shot is so good or utilizing explosive spikes / regular spike plus propelled spike skill.

Good question - gotta admit, I only used Powershot with the bow most of the time.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Is there a Valor Surge that's considered a must use? I find myself just not using the system too much, I feel like there are too many of them and it just overwhelms me.

Between so many weapon types, ammo types, elemental effects, valor surges, resonator blast, and R1 abilities (which I almost always forget exist), I really feel like they overstuffed the combat system in this game. It's just ludicrously overloaded with mechanics, to the point where I'm overlooking and forgetting about a lot of it. I enjoy the combat a lot, it's so much fun, but there are so many variables and so many enemy types that I just never feel that confident.

Part Breaker is excellent for farming parts.

Overshield saved my skin several times.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished it at 62 hours, hit level 50 and still had so many sidequests and main story, I just decided to finish the story. I was worried early on, thought it was going someplace stupid that I didn't want it to then it full on jumped the shark.

I really enjoyed playing it but I come away feeling really negative. The traversal options are so bad for so long. Climbing feels sluggish and you get stuck constantly with clear paths, swimming is god awful and not being to turn her flashlight on at will is horrible. Mounts constantly come to a dead stop for seemingly no reason.

Enemies felt so much tankier I ended up turning down enemy health. Combat felt more like a chore, I wasn't setting up and picking enemies apart I was just running and dodging for my life. Feels like they ramped up enemy aggression 10x and did nothing to pace out enemy attacks so you just get stun locked.

Too many ammo types, I don't need a regular, advanced, special ammo for every type impact/fire/ice etc. They are so spaced out across weapons and the upgrades are a slog, you need to many machine parts and all the high end stuff uses the same late game enemy parts.

The game feels like a regression in almost every way except for the open world quest design, character animations and dialogue in cutscenes and obviously graphically.
i basically didn't use any of the special arrows. I mostly stuck to my braced shot and hunter arrow. Only late in the game did i find out how well the focused shot does against human opponents.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all weren't kidding when you said this game amps up with the last few missions. Holy shit, this is good stuff.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a Valor Surge that's considered a must use? I find myself just not using the system too much, I feel like there are too many of them and it just overwhelms me.

Between so many weapon types, ammo types, elemental effects, valor surges, resonator blast, and R1 abilities (which I almost always forget exist), I really feel like they overstuffed the combat system in this game. It's just ludicrously overloaded with mechanics, to the point where I'm overlooking and forgetting about a lot of it. I enjoy the combat a lot, it's so much fun, but there are so many variables and so many enemy types that I just never feel that confident.
Power Shot and Radial blast.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017

Toughened at level 3 is pretty godly. You recover 80 HP every 2 seconds for quiet a while. It allowed me to steamroll the ending of the game with essentially unlimited health on Hard.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm trying to take something down quick I aim for the legs with the spike to knockdown then that gives me time to unload a bunch of bolts

That's a good idea. I know the weapons and skills create a lot of options. I guess I should try out some more stuff. I'm not really unhappy about using just the bow and arrow though, but I suppose I'm leaving a lot on the table.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Is there a way to quick select another weapon? Saw a Much gif where he didn't open the weapon wheel.

I like the boltblaster as it's really different, and you get this sick dive instead of a roll. You need some space or your enemy stunned to get a good hit in.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to quick select another weapon? Saw a Much gif where he didn't open the weapon wheel.

I like the boltblaster as it's really different, and you get this sick dive instead of a roll. You need some space of your enemy stunned to get a good hit in.

I think you have to turn it on in the options somewhere, but you can tap l1 to toggle between your current and most recent weapons

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
The arena is kicking my ass on Hard. I feel like this was not really tuned for the harder difficulty settings.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I just finished it and I gotta say, I'm still surprised from H:ZD to this game by how well the story is told. You'd think a game with robot dinosaurs and primitive people is a recipe for a generic world and story. No, this is a very well thought out story that complex, but easy to follow.

Apr 27, 2020
Finished "Flight Of The Ten" and regrouped....

Tilda is such a poser, of course she has some grand scheme going on. Highly doubt she's doing all this because she loved Lis a 1000 years ago. I hope Aloy & Beta are playing 4D Chess in the end

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen this mentioned before and I really don't get it. I went through every piece of story content I could find throughout the game and the only time she really seems judgmental about people's beliefs is in an early side mission where she runs across a religious cult in which its leader is so fucking stubborn that he's not only putting his life at risk, but those that follow him. Those people would die if they would've kept following that guy. I'd ask you and anyone else that describes the way she acts in a negative way, why exactly shouldn't she be judgmental in that instance?
fair question.

there's a few weeks and a like a hundred hours of another game separating me from what originally got me thinking this, so i can't give you the literal moments but broadly

some of this may be body language more than explicit dialog, and i may be projecting unfairly, but in the early game there's very much a vibe of "your culture that you've been practicing for years and on which your whole society is based? it's just another fucking obstacle to me. please get out of my way, i know better, and i'm not not going to take the time to grapple with what the things i'm saying are going to do to you or your the way you've organised your society, i simply need you to believe me and get out of the way".

there's always an implicit eye roll in the subtext. like "lol these people have based their beliefs on something silly and something we the audience know is literally incorrect", and that makes me feel "big internet atheist energy". there's an incuriosity (beyond more than technical correctness) about foreign cultures that makes me feel icky.

keep in mind i haven't finished the game (i'm one mission passed a three way branch, my first path including a big underwater section, and a forced mission afterward), so who knows, the game might grapple with this. but i'm not super impressed by the

"aloy gives her friends focuses and she can prove that she's literally right" angle i've seen so far.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
50 hours in and I forgot this was a thing. Thanks.

At some point I completely forgot I had turned it on, and stop using it despite having grown accustomed to using it from the beginning. I guess it's because the game after a certain point becomes easy enough that I'm just sort of sleepwalking through the battles.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
27 hrs and just venturing more West. This game is going to take me a LOOOOONG time.

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
After 50 hours I'm still discovering settlements like Arrowhead. Also braced shot is OP.

Not only is it powerful, but the sound effect but it hits is just amazing with good headphones / speakers. Straight up cannon sounding. I fully upgraded my Forgefall legendary bow and built around it with the Stalker Valor Surge and Long-Range / Stealth coils and it decimates.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I just finished talking to so-and-so and started "Wings of the Ten". How much further? I assume I'm getting pretty close.

Does this one have a "point of no return" like the last game did? Am I getting close to it?

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Close to getting platinum. I might just finish the final mission and come back if the mood strikes. The idea of figuring out which 2 acquisition machines I haven't killed isn't too appealing. Not sure if reaching 50 would be a grind too. I'm 43 currently.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I'm gonna finish this up this weekend. Maybe I'll write a long review if I'm not to burnt on it. If not these are probably my final thoughts on it outside the main plot stuff.

It definitely feels ...less memorable & less fun than the first game to me. It's not even rose-tinted nostaglia because I literally played Zero Dawn -> Frozen Wilds -> Horizon 2 back to back over the last 1.5 months and 140-ish hours.

I feel like years from now I'll still think nostalgically about Zero Dawn and Frozen Wilds and some of the moments from those, the first time I saw the view of the volcano in FW from the mountain hill where the sphere was in Frozen Wilds, the hunting trial of taking down the Thunderjaw with two Ravagers, the Concrete Beach Party sidequest and the Banuk in general in Frozen Wilds. The first time I stepped into the giant city that was Meridian. The vistas from some of the Banuk ornaments. The first time I roped down a Stormbird. The foggy days of sneaking trough an area with only blue enemy lights peering through the fog.

Zero Dawn & Frozen Wilds was one of the most memorable and best open-world games I've ever played. I even made a thread to that effect after beating Zero Dawn!

Forbidden West...it's pretty. Has some good quests. Some cool new features/dinos. But I just don't think I'm gonna take much out of this. I've kind of stopped caring about anything after the Daunt/Utaru/Tenakth sections. Not sure if it's just burn out because it's such a massive game or if the game just feels less tight in the last 1/3rd. Horizon 1 felt like a smaller but more cohesive world, you met fewer people but you got to know them better and I found the sidequest characters memorable. Here it's a large world, more spread out and I don't remember any of the sidequest Utaru/Tenakth people. The main story feels different with your cast instead of meeting people like Avad and doing stuff for them.

The first game had fewer activity types and they weren't as good/in-depth, but it had like 6 enemy bases total the whole game. Forbidden West feels like an Assassin's Creed game with a rebel base every corner. Outside the relic ruins the collectibles aren't particularly better. I actually think the Cauldrons might be worse here. I loved how varied they were in the first game. That one cauldron around the dead tallneck filled with human enemies was great and gorgeous art design.

And I've said it a million times to the point I'm sure everyone in this thread is sick of it, but I really don't enjoy the combat that much in this one. The combat and its balance just feel off whereas Zero Dawn/Frozen Wilds felt just right. I almost never got frustrated playing those games on normal, but in this game almost every night I play I feel bad about my skills at some point because of a frustrating combat event. I just find Forbidden West kind of an unfun game whereas the originals had the most fun ranged combat I've ever had in a game.

Finally this game became a fucking grind. Introducing weapon & gear levels was an extremely poor design decision imo. Just by adding all these new weapons/gear variety the game would've had more depth and progression would've been paced ok if they simply all just cost shards like the first game and they had built-in skills & ammo types like they do. Throwing in this, and I'm just gonna say it, complete time-waster shit design of upgrade levels to unlock skills on gear and even ammo types, does nothing but unbalances the game because now you have to balance enemies around not only what gear is available to buy, but what upgrade level of the gear people may be at. If you're not upgrading the gear easy difficulty in H2 feels like normal difficulty in Frozen Wilds which was already challenging. Just because the enemy HP and resistance to status effect buildup. But then if you upgrade the gear it becomes more like normal in the original. The upgrade system is just a shitty system and the game combat & balance would've been much better without it.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Close to getting platinum. I might just finish the final mission and come back if the mood strikes. The idea of figuring out which 2 acquisition machines I haven't killed isn't too appealing. Not sure if reaching 50 would be a grind too. I'm 43 currently.
Check your progression stats, it'll tell you there. Then just go to the map and find a site.