• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Game has been much buggier for me since the last patch. Had that glinthawk stuck in the ground I was talking about earlier, and now I just had a leaplasher zipping around without animation so fast that he looked like a speedhacker in a multiplayer game.

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021
What's with all the spoilers? Use the spoiler thread

The spoiler thread is probably full of unspoilered commentary about the quests I haven't done yet. Why would you spoiler stuff in a spoiler thread?

I think my least favorite thing w/ the game has to do with how mounts are handled. If you set your mount to 'defensive' it's very hard to get it to fight anything without ending up in combat yourself. Aggressive is much better if you're hoping to play at all stealthy, or get some damage done before fighting openly. If you set it to aggressive, though, there's no way to park it. You have to like jump off the mount RIGHT at a fire and then fast travel away immediately, otherwise it will run off and get itself killed and then you're short a mount.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's annoying that the firegleam bug is still there, and like some others, I remember an instance where it was marked on the map, but I couldn't find it. Not sure if I just wasn't looking hard enough, but it drove me nuts. Hopefully these map markers get fixed in the next patch. It kind of discourages me from exploring and completing stuff if the map can't be trusted (even if for mainly just extra materials and such).

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if photo mode is bugged? I tried using it and i am unable to use the joysticks to move the camera around.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
I think you're giving the game's writing waaay too much credit tbh, when most of the motivation for boss fights are, oh heres a giant machine let's kill or hey here's a rebal camp let's kill them, I don't know why you think there'd need to be some grand motivation to have a boss fight against a mutated Ted Farro. Also making the argument that being spoilered supposedly bettered your comprehension of events is a really weird argument to make, and obviously not something even the devs intended.

I would have liked to have seen him in real-time instead of a hologram, but a fight would have been a terrible idea in retrospect. How would that fit the story in any way? Having an RE monster fight in this game makes no sense and would have felt out of place. You fight high-tech robots and humans with high-tech gear, not some experimental monster.
Seeing CEO die was clearly the narrative equivalent of seeing Faro die, and was probably planned from the beginning. You might not like it, but it fits the story and world of Horizon better

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I've had this exact same problem too. For a second i thought maybe my ps5 was dying or something because this has never happened before. At least now i'm a be relieved that it seems like it's not my ps5 and others are having the same issue.

It looks like we all thought the worst lol. Going from the lack of replies in here, it seems like the issue isn't very widespread though. Hopefully Sony/Guerilla is still aware.

Tranquility

Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to install and try this game out finally so I took it out of the shrinkwrap and put the disc in. Only to be met by "This disc isn't supported by the PS5."
Tried googling and most search hits mention having an external harddrive causing the problem.

I've never used an eternal harddrive so that can't be the problem. Tried cleaning the disc, that was absolutely mirror finish already, straight out of the shrinkwrap.
Tried rebuilding the database, hard reset, nothing works.

My concern right now is that I RMA:d the disc and the vendor is demanding a fee that costs 5/6th of what I paid for the game if there is nothing wrong the the disc.

So now I am trying to track down someone close to me that has a PS5 I can test the disc in.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why is the draw distance so bad in this game? Asset quality is good, but after playing Halo Infinite I'm not as impressed as I thought I'd be.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Curious - would yall be interested in like an Explorer Option (more so then what is there now) that disables HUD (except for health sometimes), hides markers/journal stuff, simplifies map completely, disables hints/aloy talk hints, etc. ?

Would be an interesting option for these types of open world games and people that don't want constant pokes.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have zero complaints about the draw distance on PS5 in Quality Mode. Great LODs (outside of the occasions where the LODs bug completely) and I can usually even spot machines way, way off in the distance.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Why is the draw distance so bad in this game? Asset quality is good, but after playing Halo Infinite I'm not as impressed as I thought I'd be.
I'm sorry, what? Halo Infinite is many things, but a graphical showcase isn't one of them.

As for the draw distance in Forbidden West, it's actually one of the better examples out there. Most things stretch out in the distance but there are some strange peculiarities.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sorry, what? Halo Infinite is many things, but a graphical showcase isn't one of them.

As for the draw distance in Forbidden West, it's actually one of the better examples out there. Most things stretch out in the distance but there are some strange peculiarities.
The 'fog' obscures the view. Halo Infinite is not a graphical showcase however the draw distance and sense of scale is excellent.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
The 'fog' obscures the view. Halo Infinite is not a graphical showcase however the draw distance and sense of scale is excellent.

Fog isn't always present, it actually depends on the time of day and weather condition. The sense of scale in also excellent in FW, and as for the draw distance in Infinite, from what remember, everything switches to lower poly at a distance.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I pressed the notification to play the game after it updated, and after hitting "Continue," it took like 40 seconds to load. I thought the game was broken. Then after it got in, I realized I started up the PS4 version, lol.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017

I've been consistently impressed with draw distance in resolution mode on PS5. Sometimes, I'll see a settlement way off in the distance, I'll pull up my map and it's really far away.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Took a long glide from the top of the mountain towards the Tallneck at the Stand of the Sentinels. Managed to land straight on top of it lmao
Wasn't planned that way but got pretty excited when I realized I could actually make it

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
I wanted to install and try this game out finally so I took it out of the shrinkwrap and put the disc in. Only to be met by "This disc isn't supported by the PS5."
Tried googling and most search hits mention having an external harddrive causing the problem.

I've never used an eternal harddrive so that can't be the problem. Tried cleaning the disc, that was absolutely mirror finish already, straight out of the shrinkwrap.
Tried rebuilding the database, hard reset, nothing works.

My concern right now is that I RMA:d the disc and the vendor is demanding a fee that costs 5/6th of what I paid for the game if there is nothing wrong the the disc.

So now I am trying to track down someone close to me that has a PS5 I can test the disc in.
This may be the dumbest post yet, so I apologize for insulting your intelligence. Is it possible you have your ps5 upside down or if it'svertical, you're putting it in the wrong way? Disc drive should be on the bottom left when when it's laying flat. Lots of people doing digital nowadays so it's possible this is your first disc came. And the only reason I know this is because my dumbass did the same thing the first time I ever put a disc in my ps5.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Some of these trees are HUGE, Aloy looks particularly miniscule in this area.
horizonforbiddenwest_dljmg.png

Best capture I could find of a 'clean' draw distance, I love taking screenshots of foggy environments:
horizonforbiddenwest_t9k8o.png

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
This may be the dumbest post yet, so I apologize for insulting your intelligence. Is it possible you have your ps5 upside down or if it'svertical, you're putting it in the wrong way? Disc drive should be on the bottom left when when it's laying flat. Lots of people doing digital nowadays so it's possible this is your first disc came. And the only reason I know this is because my dumbass did the same thing the first time I ever put a disc in my ps5.

This happens to me sometimes and every time it's because I put the disc in upside down. I have no problem admitting I make that mistake on occasion (to be fair my PS5 is vertifical).

Best capture I could find of a 'clean' draw distance, I love taking screenshots of foggy environments:
horizonforbiddenwest_t9k8o.png

Just got there last night doing a side quest but it's clearly an area that I'll be returing to in the main story.

Not only was it gorgeous but it was my first opportunity to pick up coastal wildlife for upgrades.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
The beginning is very slow. I wish Sony would start getting into the main gameplay loop of their games faster. There must be an elegant way of prioritizing their stories without needing an extended introductory section. Its a pacing issue in my opinion, but I understand its completely subjective and some people are in the mood to slowly take in the world building and the set up of the story. I just think there must be a better way.

Having said that, after not being into the pre title screen segment, I'm now really into the game. The game is gorgeous (this really helps alot to my enjoyment of exploration) and I'm really into the skill tree. Haven't even started Elden Ring which I also have installed.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
How far am i in the main story

Just got the last AI for Gaia. Demeter
If you stick to the story missions, I'd say about ~5 hours.
Just got there last night doing a side quest but it's clearly an area that I'll be returing to in the main story.

Not only was it gorgeous but it was my first opportunity to pick up coastal wildlife for upgrades.
Yes, it's a lush area indeed. I'm not going to spoil anything.

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021
Another QoL issue, this time with the stash: I have about 1000 berries in my stash at this point, and yet I am constantly collecting berries. Why? Because after I get into a battle where I drain my pouch of berries, I'm not going to detour around to a stash chest just to refill. I'm usually on my way to the next quest/node, so I have to collect more berries on the way. At which point being reminded that I've got 1000 in my stash just makes me mad.

Dec 19, 2021
More about the main quest with the spoiler title, on the coast.

The more I think about it, the more sure I am that EVERYTHING about Faro's Tomb was designed as a reaction to the dev's very accurate & thorough understanding of how players think.

Like, the second I knew that the Zeniths were immortal I started wondering if Faro was still alive. I'm sure a LOT of players did--it's such an obvious question, and it would have gnawed at me until I had a definitive answer. So the devs were like, "OK, before we open this can of worms ALL THE WAY UP we need to show players that Ted is Dead. We cannot give them long to speculate, even, there's already that guy who posted 'fuck ted faro' on reddit every single day for years, the collective bloodlust will be deafening and ruin anything else we want to accomplish with this game."

So they literally designed a whole quest around like: NO HE'S DEAD WE SWEAR. And they gave us a fake Ted Faro to appease us for not keeping him alive in the game. It was like one of those primitive human sacrifice rituals, where they dressed this random dude up in Ted Faro's clothes and then subjected him to a horrific death in order to appease their community of worshippers. Except instead of ensuring a fruitful harvest they were hoping we'd pay attention to the rest of the game.

& TBH, I really do think that keeping Ted Faro alive would have spoiled something essential about this series. The point of the whole world-ending backstory is not that Ted Faro is a uniquely villainous person. He's not. He's not special at all. Just an irresponsible person who got too much power--&, just as a further bit of kudos to the writers, they drive the point home with the Ceo. The world is full of Ted Faros. No need to fixate on the last one when there are so many new ones to deal with.
Great write-up here.
there is a Spolier Thread

What's with all the spoilers? Use the spoiler thread
This is spoilerphobia. We're using spoiler tags.

I think you're giving the game's writing waaay too much credit tbh, when most of the motivation for boss fights are, oh heres a giant machine let's kill or hey here's a rebal camp let's kill them, I don't know why you think there'd need to be some grand motivation to have a boss fight against a mutated Ted Farro.
What does it have to with writing? Ted Faro isn't meant to be a boss you fight -- just as Sylens is meant to be a boss you fight. There are different ways games treat characters -- there are different ways stories treat characters -- so it'd be weird, given Faro's role in the story and his history with Aloy, to have to fight him. Like, what is that doing for the game? For the narrative? For Aloy's character? He gets a fitting end as is.

Also making the argument that being spoilered supposedly bettered your comprehension of events is a really weird argument to make, and obviously not something even the devs intended.
Well, there are some studies showing benefits of knowing spoilers beforehand, so I am not lacking in evidence.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The two possibilities is that you've already got it and there's a bug that hasn't removed it from your map or it's there but on the opposite side of the wall. That happens sometimes.
Definitely not the former, was the first time visiting the area. Investigating the spot, it is at the base of a small mountain and you can almost see the outline for where it would be but it isn't there, almost like it hasn't popped-in yet but there are no prompts so that can't be it either. Is near the second salvage mission person in the north of the map.

May 31, 2021
Another QoL issue, this time with the stash: I have about 1000 berries in my stash at this point, and yet I am constantly collecting berries. Why? Because after I get into a battle where I drain my pouch of berries, I'm not going to detour around to a stash chest just to refill. I'm usually on my way to the next quest/node, so I have to collect more berries on the way. At which point being reminded that I've got 1000 in my stash just makes me mad.
You can refill your berries by holding up on the d-pad.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017

That only refills it from your bag reserves though? If you burn through the 30 or so in total on you, it's either go back to the stash, or pick more. I basically always pick more because I'm out in the field infinitely more than in towns. It effectively makes high demand items in the stash useless and locked away. If we could access the stash at any campfire, that would help some as there are way more camp fires than major outposts or the little shelters.

Dec 19, 2021
I would have liked to have seen him in real-time instead of a hologram, but a fight would have been a terrible idea in retrospect. How would that fit the story in any way? Having an RE monster fight in this game makes no sense and would have felt out of place. You fight high-tech robots and humans with high-tech gear, not some experimental monster.
Seeing CEO die was clearly the narrative equivalent of seeing Faro die, and was probably planned from the beginning. You might not like it, but it fits the story and world of Horizon better
This man knows.

Tranquility

Oct 28, 2017

I know which way to turn the disc. I have it placed horizontally normally. Tried vertical to no avail.
Broke out 3 other games that we're shrink wrapped, all work fine.

May 31, 2021
That only refills it from your bag reserves though? If you burn through the 30 or so in total on you, it's either go back to the stash, or pick more. I basically always pick more because I'm out in the field infinitely more than in towns. It effectively makes high demand items in the stash useless and locked away. If we could access the stash at any campfire, that would help some as there are way more camp fires than major outposts or the little shelters.
Yea I believe you're right, the refill is not coming from your stash. My mistake.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Oh good, we're talking about med berries. I think I missed something when they were tutorializing that stuff at the very beginning.

So are there three berry pools? The ones you use when you actively heal, the ones in your stash which you can access via a chest at a shelter etc, and... a reserve? Which you can use to refill your active berries by holding up on the d-pad? I'm like 60 hours into the game and I've never known what the little blue berry icon in the HUD is for, is it that?

Last edited:

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Oh good, we're talking about med berries. I think I missed something when they were tutorializing that stuff at the very beginning.

So are there three berry pools? The ones you use when you actively heal, the ones in your stash which you can access via a chest at a shelter etc, and... a reserve? Which you can use to refill your active berries by holding up on the d-pad? I'm like 60 hours into the game and I've never known what the little blue berry icon in the HUD is for, is it that?

Yup, the ones on the d-pad, the ones in reserve that are still in your physical character's inventory and shown above the healing ones, and the ones in your stash.

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021

That's why I said 'use all the berries in my pouch'. There's the 12 in the D-pad supply. Then you refill from your pouch (mine holds 22 right now, it changes with upgrades). After that, any new ones you pick are sent to the stash, which is only accessible from the trunks.

Dec 19, 2021
Really enjoyed the mission The Wings of the Ten. What did you all decide to do with Regalla? I killed her, but I'd have preferred not to as I don't believe in capital punishment. I also wouldn't trust her to help out against the Zeniths..

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021

Yeah, the icon in the HUD is for that. Showing whether you have any extra berries you can hold up to turn into the healing medicine. When it's 0 you can't make more and have to pick more berries or visit a stash to replenish your supply.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I don't know if Sony or GG browse this forum but I am having an issue. Twice Horizon has updated with my PS5 and rest mode and twice it has crashed when starting the game after. My system has to hard restart and rebuild the database. Please fix your OS or gfx drivers Sony.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It's embarrassing how long it took me to realize this lol

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've not had to open my stash/trunk once after at least 30 hours. Obviously it helps with suspension of disbelief that Aloy isn't lugging around tons of stuff but it seems to serve little other purpose.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've not had to open my stash/trunk once after at least 30 hours. Obviously it helps with suspension of disbelief that Aloy isn't lugging around tons of stuff but it seems to serve little other purpose.
It makes it so you can't trivialize fights by having 500 healing items and a gazillion crafting components on hand in the middle of combat.