• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Just noticed that the wet shader for Aloy is gone. Is it just my save that's bugged? After swimming, her clothes, skin and hair remain dry where as before you could tell they were wet and she'd have actual water droplets on her skin until it dried off. Raindrops don't interact with her model anymore either.

edit: just checked online and yeah, after the "deaths door" mission, the wet shader is bugged.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
Too many people rushing this instead of chilling with it and enjoying wandering and fighting monsters.

I do hope it gets some cleanup patches asap, but it's excellent.
I rushed through the first one but I'm taking it real slow with this one. It makes a big difference - so much more enjoyable. And it spreads out some of those indoor facility sections that I don't really like, which so far seem to be concentrated in the main campaign...

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Do all hunting grounds have machines right next to it? I just scanned some new machines I haven't came across before.

Also...its a good idea to scan all machines you see, just to get them in the notebook. Makes it easier for figuring what parts each machine can drop.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Too many people rushing this instead of chilling with it and enjoying wandering and fighting monsters.

Yeah. These madlads playing non-stop with platinums throphies in ther bags already.
Im 8 hours in and did just finish the embassy main quest to no mans land. lol

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about to start what is probably the last main mission and I agree with people saying you shouldn't rush this. I wanted to do the story missions before Elden Ring comes out because i know I won't touch Horizon for weeks after that, but now I just feel like my equipment isn't up to snuff with the stronger machines the game throws at you as you progress. In ZD I upgraded everything I could as soon as possible and I never felt underpowered or underequipped.

I'm probably going to finish the story and then restart the game from scratch on a higher difficulty and clear everything as I go.

Jun 24, 2019
Now I entered the "forbidden west" part of the game!

I was wondering why the first portion was so linear, but it was a tutorial lol

Oct 30, 2017
I rushed through the first one but I'm taking it real slow with this one. It makes a big difference - so much more enjoyable. And it spreads out some of those indoor facility sections that I don't really like, which so far seem to be concentrated in the main campaign...
I disliked the first one at first when i was rushing it months ago, then i chilled and then i loved it, taking my time.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Now I entered the "forbidden west" part of the game!

I was wondering why the first portion was so linear, but it was a tutorial lol
Yup, lol.

Tutorial.
Kinda open.
Completely open.

I just realized a couple of things:

Potions and traps I didnt have before, AFAIK I had to buy them before I could craft them. I can now craft stronger acid, bomb, etc traps.

Similar to a post on the last page about items for sale or sold, I wanted to upgrade a bow. The part was on a machine I just scanned, I never got a chance to scan it before today, even tho I knew somewhere else to go on the map for it.

I can buy it from a village I just found.

No hunting for that machine part, nice.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020

I'm taking my sweet time, I didn't wait 5 years just to rush this game in one week lol

Currently clocking around 25 hours and still exploring around Plainsong, there's so much stuff to do here, some sweet outfits to unlock and great sidequests that go deep into the Utaru history and community.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed that the wet shader for Aloy is gone. Is it just my save that's bugged? After swimming, her clothes, skin and hair remain dry where as before you could tell they were wet and she'd have actual water droplets on her skin until it dried off. Raindrops don't interact with her model anymore either.

edit: just checked online and yeah, after the "deaths door" mission, the wet shader is bugged.
wet shader also missing for me. but at least the patch fixed the hdr and its bright/dark contrast problem when turning the camera.

Jun 24, 2019
Yup, lol.

Tutorial.
Kinda open.
Completely open.

I just realized a couple of things:

Potions and traps I didnt have before, AFAIK I had to buy them before I could craft them. I can now craft stronger acid, bomb, etc traps.

Similar to a post on the last page about items for sale or sold, I wanted to upgrade a bow. The part was on a machine I just scanned, I never got a chance to scan it before today, even tho I knew somewhere else to go on the map for it.

I can buy it from a village I just found.

No hunting for that machine part, nice.

Sweet. I do like that we can craft a variety of things, and though machine hunting can be fun, I am glad we can buy parts from shops.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge

I don't get that mentality either but I also know I'm going to take my sweet time with it, probably clocking around 200 hours or more before I'm done with it.

It helps that I'm unlikely to buy anything else this year, other than God of War and Starfield.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I'm not rushing the game in order to play another game (that would just be work, speaking as one who pre-ordered Destiny 2 Witch Queen, Elden Ring & GT7...) , but I really want to see the next part of the main story, it's just really interesting. And I know all the other content will still be waiting for me past the credits anyhow.

Smidig

Nov 13, 2017
Got a question about the quest in the trailers and previews where Erend is captured by rebels and Aloy has to rescue him.
I'm at the last mainstory quest now and I haven't seen this quest in game. Have I missed it? I talked to Erend about the Sons of Prometheus a bit late so I don't think I'm gonna trigger this quest. Is that the one in the trailers? Kinda bummed that I haven't really done anything with Erend since the very start of the game when they showcased him so much in the gameplay previews. Especially that it appears to be a missables quest?

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
i love this game and i have 15 hours in it already but im gonna switch to elden ring now until im done with that. Its actually good because they can do 1 or 2 more patches to horizon and maybe they will even improve the performance mode by the time im coming back.

Interactive Map with all Locations

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone,

Since the game launched, we've been working away non-stop at an Interactive Map for this that contains, well, everything pretty much. You can find it here: Forbidden West Interactive Map (Best viewed on desktop but mobile is available too).

The map currently contains the following at High resolution with multiple zoom levels.
  • Machine Sites (Including Acquisition, Combat, Transport & Recon Machines).
  • All Collectable locations such as Black Boxes, Signal Lens, Survey Drones etc (some markers have helpful GIFs to guide you through objectives).
  • Activities such as Cauldrons, Errands, Gauntlet Runs, Hunting Grounds etc.
  • Blocked Paths and details of how to unblock them.
  • The Locations of all Cities, Towns, Villages and Settlements.
  • Points of Interest such as NPCs in towns, vendors etc.
  • Some Datapoints.
  • Valuable Supply Caches that contain rare Weapons etc.
  • Rare Material locations such as Greenshine and locations of all types.
  • Some wildlife location suggestions based on the Create a Job option.
While we think we have pretty much everything covered, we're still in the process of updating the map (such as the remaining datapoints, more screenshots/gifs for the markers) and eventually, our markers will all link up to more detailed information. We'd appreciate any feedback that anyone has so we can improve it further and I hope this is of use to everyone.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet. I do like that we can craft a variety of things, and though machine hunting can be fun, I am glad we can buy parts from shops.
Granted everything isn't as easy as using shards or metal to buy.

Like the machine part I need, to buy it IIRC you need a green crystal you find in the wild.

Those seems to be rare finds. And right now I don't know what else they can be used for.

Another strange thing I just saw, a hunting ground I just found has a camp fire, weapon vendor, crafting table and stash.

Only thing showing on the map is the hunting ground icon. Not sure if that's intended or a bug.

Last edited:

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I find the inclusion of "errands" on the list of things to do quite amusing and strange.

Just call them side quests that's clearly what they are.

Anyway, are the hunting grounds worth doing? So far I've avoided them, mainly cos I was a bit baffled as to why they'd include side stuff that involves you fighting enemies when that's what you're doing in the main game over and over..

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I find the inclusion of "errands" on the list of things to do quite amusing and strange.

Anyway, are the hunting grounds worth doing? So far I've avoided them, mainly cos I was a bit baffled as to why they'd include side stuff that involves you fighting enemies when that's what you're doing in the main game over and over..
They teach you some interesting strategies to use in Battle I find. Plus the rewards.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
Did the patch fix any of the problems with the HUD? Can I please finally get rid of the damn rock icon?

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020

Errands are smaller scale than side quests. Usually just one or two stages, don't have big rewards or really unlock anything and tend to involve only a few NPCs. In Zero Dawn stuff categorised as a side quest usually had the main NPCs from that quest turning up in the final battle.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers for when you return to the, uh, mountain base thing -- after Bulwark/Memorial Grove main story stuff. :D

Omggggg it's killing me seeing everyone hanging out at our Gaia homebase. Dressed in their full armor and face paints and trying to figure out how to use the focuses loool. It's so cute, I love it. ;w;
Their little dialogues are the best, too. Gosh, I am such a sucker for character interactions, so I am eating this stuff up. Like omg, everyone together! Just chillin'! Teasing each other! Talking about silly music and pizza! It's great!

And I immediately took a liking to Kotallo when we met him again to head to the Bulwark. I love how much he exudes fuck off energy and is just so angry, yet has such a soothing voice and totally gives in to Aloy's gentle prodding every single time lol. Definitely a big softy in there somewhere. I was so happy when I realized he'd be joining the team properly.
This also makes me excited that there might be a few more companions yet along the way.... noticing those couple of still closed rooms in Gaia HQ... HMMM. 👀 (no spoilers either way ofc, pls)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
They teach you some interesting strategies to use in Battle I find. Plus the rewards.
Just realized this today.

I skipped all hunting grounds before today. Only reason I checked today was because of that weird map thing.

I had no idea they taught machine fighting techniques.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone,

Since the game launched, we've been working away non-stop at an Interactive Map for this that contains, well, everything pretty much. You can find it here: Forbidden West Interactive Map (Best viewed on desktop but mobile is available too).

The map currently contains the following at High resolution with multiple zoom levels.
  • All Collectable locations such as Black Boxes, Signal Lens, Survey Drones etc (some markers have helpful GIFs to guide you through objectives).
  • Some Datapoints.
While we think we have pretty much everything covered, we're still in the process of updating the map (such as the remaining datapoints, more screenshots/gifs for the markers) and eventually, our markers will all link up to more detailed information. We'd appreciate any feedback that anyone has so we can improve it further and I hope this is of use to everyone.

dude, this is massive, nicely done.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone,

• Some Datapoints.
Thanks for this.

This would be useful for the rare materials alone, lol.

Will the vendors have what they sell? I'm doing alot of screen shots trying to figure out what's for sell but have no idea who sells what.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
Got a question about the quest in the trailers and previews where Erend is captured by rebels and Aloy has to rescue him.
I'm at the last mainstory quest now and I haven't seen this quest in game. Have I missed it? I talked to Erend about the Sons of Prometheus a bit late so I don't think I'm gonna trigger this quest. Is that the one in the trailers? Kinda bummed that I haven't really done anything with Erend since the very start of the game when they showcased him so much in the gameplay previews. Especially that it appears to be a missables quest?
The whole sequence with Erend from the showcase doesn't exist in the game at all. Seems like GG put that together for the SoP.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got issues with the weapon balance. The throwing spear I got right near the start is still more powerful than anything else. That and the bomb slings are basically my only weapons. Two hits from the spear will take out a plowhorn but it takes about 30 arrows to kill a watcher.

Is there versions of these weapons that do damage I can buy somewhere? I'm honestly a little bored of the vast majority of the arsenal being useless. I thought it was just tearblasts that were kinda weak but it actually seems like all of the bows do next to nothing unless you trigger a chain reaction.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The whole sequence with Erend from the showcase doesn't exist in the game at all. Seems like GG put that together for the SoP.

That bit with the clawstriders perfectly climbing and chasing Aloy as she climbed seemed way too clean and the mission in general seemed way too linear and cinematic for an open world RPG.

Last edited:

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020

I KNEW I WASN'T CRAZY

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a lot of fun just running around and doing side things tbh, barely gotten into the main quest at this point. starting to think I won't be beelining the main quest after all hahaha. sorry elden ring you're gonna have to wait

also I have to say the job system is so good and all games that require you to gather shit to craft other shit should have it

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for this.

This would be useful for the rare materials alone, lol.

Will the vendors have what they sell? I'm doing alot of screen shots trying to figure out what's for sell but have no idea who sells what.

This is a great suggestion, and something we can work on. I do know that the vendors update their stock as the game progresses, so it'll take a while to get a full exhaustive list but we can keep on top of it and add to it as we go along.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Nora Sentinel armor is the best looking new armor I've found so far, the rest just seem to primitive for Aloy to ever wear. It's like that, the old Carja armor, and default armor feel like something Aloy would actually wear.

Last edited:

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
last night i had one of the most beautiful gaming experiences with a certain mission. I was struck in awe and just sat there enjoying the scenery.
This Game is just so big in its production value, holy shit. The Cutscenes, the way the npc's act and tell their lines, the set pieces, the world and machines. Guerilla Games moving on from Killzone to this, was the best thing that could happen.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
Nora Sentinel armor is the best looking new armor I've found so far, the rest just seem to primitive for Aloy to ever wear. It's like that and the old Carja armor feel like something Aloy would actually wear.
I've been using the Carja Shadow armor since yesterday and it feels like something that can actually protect Aloy when facing giant machines instead of a lot of very light ones that seem very primitive.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

There is a quest with Erend but you have to get through all the SoP stuff which can take some time.
Clear every Rebel Outpost (not camp) that you see.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Trying to capture that drone that's flying around the Thunderjaw was intense. He took me out in like one shot, but I got it on my second try. Then he followed me across the map for what seemed like way too long.

Some of the sounds that play in the night time in this game are fucking terrifying.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Just beat the Arena Slitherfang on hard with 5 seconds left before the timer ran out.

And then the game hung on a loading screen as I left.

Tbf I was going to reload anyway since I spent a few runs getting the hang of the fight and didn't want to waste the 1000 shards. YOU GET OFF LIGHTLY THIS TIME GAME.

That's kinda sketchy lol. I figured they just played it in a really cinematic way and did some dubbing so Aloy's lines fit exactly what was happening.
It's the same thing they did with Zero Dawn though. It's just a vertical slice showcasing the new visuals, mechanics, and machines.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This is a great suggestion, and something we can work on. I do know that the vendors update their stock as the game progresses, so it'll take a while to get a full exhaustive list but we can keep on top of it and add to it as we go along.
No worries.

Yeah, knowing what each vender sells seems like a huge thing to track, lol.

Its just that some vendors sell no weapons but useful items,
like the first spot Alot wakes up in after Deaths Door mission.

Reading that now...its gonna be a huge thing to track.