• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
USA
This is the sci-fi shit I crave. I'm talking with the damaged HADES and it's cool as fuck. It reminds me of the conversation with Sovereign in Mass Effect which is still a top tier gaming moment for me.

I spoke too soon. THIS is the sci-fi shit I crave. Now I'm wondering how many clones of Elisabet are out there.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
I'm absolutely loving the game so far, 10 hours in BUT at three different times I've had to reload a save cause of glitches that doesn't let me progress.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
I'm starting to get really frustrated. Countless times I will have a shot perfectly lines up on a part for it only to whiff. Fuck it's so annoying. Like when fighting the tremor tusk, I wanna fight in in a cool way stripping down every component but this shit doesnt work with arrows constantly w whiffing and it trashing away so much.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Finished the game. Some of the story was really bad but I had a great time. Definitely left it wide open for a third game, can't wait. The animations were unreal.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I can't get over how fantastic the music is, so good.

The only bum note so far for me is machine strike. Is it worth sticking with? seems conveluted and not much fun. Worth sticking with?

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get over how fantastic the music is, so good.

The only bum note so far for me is machine strike. Is it worth sticking with? seems conveluted and not much fun. Worth sticking with?
It's chess-like. But you make the board, piece-by-piece and move two pieces a turn and have to use the terrain to your advantage in both the set-up and play. It's a decent enough diversion.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Quite enjoying this so far. The character models, facial capture and voice acting are superb. They go so well with the game's tone and evocative dialogue that there's basically no uncanny valley.

Someone on here used the word "earnest" a while back when describing the first game, and I think that applies here, too. It's all very genuine, very heart-felt, very vulnerable and endearing.

The gameplay also feels good at 60fps - I'd forgotten how fun this combat loop is. The projectile weapons still each feel different and useful. Melee is still kinda wonky, but when the charged attacks hit they feel good.

Now the title card has dropped I'm hoping it opens up and lets me roam free a little more, as while I appreciate it setting up the characters and exposition, I don't appreciate being made to walk 5 paces just in order to see yet another cutscene.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Just got to a mountainous rainy area and it's almost hard to believe how good this game looks some times.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In Ted Faro's tomb right now and yeah you're hearing some shit in these audio datalogs. Also fuck this Ceo guy and making Aloy wear the Sobeck gear.

Oh damn that shade Aloy threw at Ceo saying he's like Ted Faro

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I am loving the open world, the gameplay, the changes, the characters, motion capture, dialogue and the entire vibe.

But like Aloy needs to stfu. Is there any setting like where I can turn off "just got to town, need to talk to X but first I should find a work bench" like no duh aloy, shut up.

Also, sometimes Aloys facial animation is amazing but other times I'm like wtf are you doing with your hands no one would emote that much for this random conversation lol

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I'm playing on hard but I just realized I've been doing these missions underleveled as fuck. No wonder I got two shot by everything.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to silent strike/stealth takedown

Rebels on mounts?

Not sure how you're supposed to stealth rebel camps in this one.

Also Stealth valor I guess is supposed to replace silent running in the original. I've been using that valor surge a lot this afternoon and when it's active it finally feels like playing Zero Dawn with a stealth build.
So far I just took the rider out with an arrow or 2, hoping to get a clean hit. If you're in grass they likely dont know where you are. Might have to move around to different hidden spots too.

I dont know if they get back on if you dont kill them, but if they do, a rock should keep them searching while their on foot until you can get a clean kill. Seems like for Forbidden West you gotta mix it up for stealth. Smoke bombs, etc. Or use Stealth valor.

Hell, one time I threw a smoke bomb, ran n slid near a machine for a stealth kill or a critical hit. Cant remember which one.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Having all this side stuff early on that requires tools from later in the story is weird. The game feels like it's actively going against gamers who play open-world games by stopping at every question mark they find and exploring. So many times I'm stopping at stuff only to find "blocked path" or a text display that says "you cannot go any further right now"; it's happened enough that it pretty much makes me just want to mainline the story missions until I at least get all the exploration tools.

So far I just took the rider out with an arrow or 2, hoping to get a clean hit. If you're in grass they likely dont know where you are. Might have to move around to different hidden spots too.

I dont know if they get back on if you dont kill them, but if they do, a rock should keep them searching while their on foot until you can get a clean kill. Seems like for Forbidden West you gotta mix it up for stealth. Smoke bombs, etc. Or use Stealth valor.

Hell, one time I threw a smoke bomb, ran n slid near a machine for a stealth kill or a critical hit. Cant remember which one.

I'm geared enough with arrows where even a triple headshot can one shot them, so once I knock them down they tend to alert everyone and come after me unless I use a smoke bomb or stealth valor. Just seems odd there's no skill on the skill tree to take down those types of enemies in stealth. The first game had skills you could get for taking down heavy gunner enemies/leaders in stealth.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Zo's got her own Hero Lighting
7H06u1E.png

This arrow has been stuck in her for the last 30 minutes lmao

Oct 14, 2019
Thoroughly enjoying the game so far.

After spending roughly the first 4 hours flipping between Resolution / Performance, I finally settled on Resolution. The image quality hit was just too big for me in Performance and after another 10 hours or so in Resolution I've adjusted back to the 30FPS life.

I couldn't get into the first Horizon too much (think I played about 10 hours and bailed), however this one has its hooks in deep now that I'm actually playing the game rather than see-sawing over the graphics. I agree with everyone that the game completely ramps up as soon as you have access to the actual Forbidden West. It's a joy cresting every hill, or turning every corner, and not knowing what wonder or incredible vista will greet you next. Coupled with the fantastic machine combat, excellent dialogue and captivating score - yeah, this is the one for me!

Oct 27, 2017
Having all this side stuff early on that requires tools from later in the story is weird. The game feels like it's actively going against gamers who play open-world games by stopping at every question mark they find and exploring. So many times I'm stopping at stuff only to find "blocked path" or a text display that says "you cannot go any further right now"; it's happened enough that it pretty much makes me just want to mainline the story missions until I at least get all the exploration tools.

100%

The first thing that i like to do in open world games once i'm let loose is to try to unfog everything, even if there's soft level gating with higher level enemies. I still like to press my luck just to be able to have everything opened up. After the first tallneck i go to do the next closest one and i get greeted with an invisible wall and text telling me i can't go any further. Such shit design. They could've even cheaped out and made it so that access to new areas is covered by blight and can only be removed with story progression. It would still suck but atleast it'd make sense.

I'm also finding traversal (climbing and swimming, mostly climbing) to be un-intuitive and janky to put it lightly. Like 40% of the time Aloy is doing something or moving in a direction that i'm not intending at all. And without the annotations on showing where you can climb, rock walls that you can climb are literally identical to the ones you can't. Should have just gone full AssCreed and let you climb anywhere. Also the idea that you have to engage X, O and or square for movements that could all be easily relegated to X + direction to jump/climb and O to drop/let go is just weird. Can't tell you how many times i want drop down and have instead have catapulted myself off the wall because i hit O instead of square

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
First I thought Utaru were the best tribe, but the Tenakth have seriously grown on me since learning more about their culture and meeting the main NPCs you interact with. Kind of wish there was a Mass Effect style party system where you could bring a couple of Aloy's friends along to fight with you and listen to some banter.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017

I've had the same experience so far. I feel like I'm being encouraged to just keep my head down and stick to the critical path, at least up to where I am about 15 hours in. I think I hit four "blocked entrances" in a row at one point.

Between that and Aloy's constant verbal hint system, much of the game feels like a reaction to players stalling out and giving up on the first game more than the devs would have liked.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm absolutely loving the game so far, 10 hours in BUT at three different times I've had to reload a save cause of glitches that doesn't let me progress.
I had what I think was a memory leak. The game started stuttering like hell and nothing I did fixed it minus a restart. It's a beautiful and well done game, but man, it's in need of some love at the moment. I also had a couple moment where the hero lighting kick in, but then shut off.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
The collision detection in this game is fucking atrocious. You can't go move than a few minutes without falling through something or getting stuck inside geometry. This game feels extremely unfinished.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
How important was the Frozen Wilds DLC for the first game? I probably won't be picking up Forbidden West until after Elden Ring, but I'll want to get caught up if it ended up being important.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only like three hours in but I already like this a lot more than the first game. Everything feels better and man, I can't get over how good it looks. It's almost too good at times, though that's mostly more of a readability thing at times.

FauxBrian

Prophet of Truth
Aug 20, 2021
I've had the same experience so far. I feel like I'm being encouraged to just keep my head down and stick to the critical path, at least up to where I am about 15 hours in. I think I hit four "blocked entrances" in a row at one point.

Yeah this is one design element I don't really like, I ran into like four blocked entrances in a row too - headed south along a lake in the second region you go to. I've mostly avoided doing side stuff till I can actually do it all. The game is great overall but a lot of the gameplay changes and additions feel like they don't necessary actually improve the experience - just make it more complicated or leave more work for the player.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Just climbed my first tall neck—neat to see a couple posts about that right above! I'm in love with this game. It's so rare for me to be happy to have more icons to head toward and and explore in open world games these days,. :D

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
Can't remember the last time I dumped 18 hours into a game in a single weekend. Feels like I only just begun too. I love this game.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Just started the game an hour ago on PS5. I see some kind of permanent visual noise or like film grain everywhere on the screen. Am I going crazy?

I tried both visual modes and sees it in both modes so sticking with performance for the 60fps.

Apr 27, 2020
Shame to say but I dropped the difficulty to Story. I was tired of the robots predicting where I was going before I even dive and roll. There was one part where the same robo dino jumped on me 3 times in a row after I just got up from getting knocked 10 feet away.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is one design element I don't really like, I ran into like four blocked entrances in a row too - headed south along a lake in the second region you go to. I've mostly avoided doing side stuff till I can actually do it all. The game is great overall but a lot of the gameplay changes and additions feel like they don't necessary actually improve the experience - just make it more complicated or leave more work for the player.

And I forgot about organically discovering an underwater cavern that wasn't even a question mark (awesome!) only to be told I don't have the equipment to search it yet (whoops!).

I'm also having a great time with the game and so much of what it achieves is absolutely incredible, just feels like it can't get out of its own way at times.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Just started the game an hour ago on PS5. I see some kind of permanent visual noise or like film grain everywhere on the screen. Am I going crazy?

I tried both visual modes and sees it in both modes so sticking with performance for the 60fps.

This is probably normal.

Quality mode has an extreme sharpening filter.

Performance mode has artifacts from the resolution implementation (e.g. on grass).

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
First I thought Utaru were the best tribe, but the Tenakth have seriously grown on me since learning more about their culture and meeting the main NPCs you interact with. Kind of wish there was a Mass Effect style party system where you could bring a couple of Aloy's friends along to fight with you and listen to some banter.
I think Kotallo might be my fave new character. I like talking to him.

Shame to say but I dropped the difficulty to Story. I was tired of the robots predicting where I was going before I even dive and roll. There was one part where the same robo dino jumped on me 3 times in a row after I just got up from getting knocked 10 feet away.
I'm glad it's not just me, I was ready to throw my controller down at some fights because I don't understand how you're even meant to approach them. Sometimes they are just a clusterfuck.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Honestly I think a lot of people put the game on Easy or Story mode. I've been playing on Normal and this game is not easy in the least.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
To me it doesnt feel like the open world is that improved from the first game. The climbing is half assed, it takes a full second to grab loot, and it's very busy. Less is more should have applied here. Also just constantly scanning is a hassle

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
The collision detection in this game is fucking atrocious. You can't go move than a few minutes without falling through something or getting stuck inside geometry. This game feels extremely unfinished.
This is my biggest complaint so far. It makes the game feel much jankier overall than the first game.

That and the 1-2 frame hitch every time there's a camera cut during cutscenes.

Also there's a surprising amount of pop-in? The title sequence when Aloy is riding west (while that admittedly excellent song plays), is marred by it. "Here's Aloy heroically cresting an imposing dune and looking over the landscape… Except for the first 1.5 seconds, the dune is a textureless beige geometric shape and the bushes magically spawn in a wave away from her.

Was the original this unpolished at launch? I picked it up a few months later and it was fine.