• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I could live without the DxM branding, but otherwise these seem dope. Does anyone know if the Switch can be docked with these still attached? If so, I may pick these up for Zelda

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the hori dpad joycon and I consider it 100% essential for switch ownership. its an incredible feeling dpad.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
This were announced at E3.
US is getting only the one based on Daemon x Machina. Releases in a few days, my partner really wants them, but at the moment our only option is Amazon which Prime ran out. So it costs an additional $10 to ship plus taxes.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad Hori doesn't make these/their other Joy-Con alternatives wireless.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Even though I find these ridiculously huge/unsightly, if Hori took the opportunity to move the dpad/analog sticks to their proper place, I'd probably pick them up.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're specifically made with Daemon X Machina in mind, so the people in the video play test it with... Mario Odyssey. Fucking dolts.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish Nintendo would just make a variety of fully-featured alternate Joy-Con with all the features. There are so many options, like:

- Large ones like this
- Joy-Con versions of older controllers like NES, SNES or GameCube
- One for fighting games and older games with a huge D-Pad on the left, 6 buttons on the right and two big shoulder buttons
- Something more shooter focused with a large trigger

The possibilities are endless. Instead we get third-party stuff with no wireless, rumble or gyro.
You would think they be on top that, a lot of money on the table accessory wise

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Well it's not like there's a Daemon X Machina demo... or two... available.

As he stated in the video, he wanted to showcase it with a game he was familiar with, both because he's not the DXM reviewer, but also because it has application beyond just the one title.

Even so, it's possible to offer constructive criticism without coming across as a mecha-sized dick

Just such an obvious miss.

Just like your inability to be civil.

Last edited:

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
No rumble is a bit disappointing but they seem good, especially if for gyro stuff things use the built in tablet gyro.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
As he stated in the video, he wanted to showcase to try it with a game he was familiar with, both because he's not the DXM reviewer, but also because it has application beyond just the one title.

Even so, it's possible to offer constructive criticism without coming across as a mecha-sized dick

If I bought these I would want to use them with everything BUT DxM since I have no interest in that game. So thank you for testing them in other games.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As he stated in the video, he wanted to showcase it with a game he was familiar with, both because he's not the DXM reviewer, but also because it has application beyond just the one title.

Just such an obvious miss.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what i wanted for the switch since bascially launch. The switch in Handheld mode is super uncomfortable to me, so i really wanted something like that big pad for the 3ds back then, and this seems to be exactly that.
Even in Handheld mode i don't plan to use the switch anywhere else than at home, so the size and looks are no problem for me. They just have to be comfortable to use, and this looks good.

Of course i would prefer if Nintendo just actually made official ones... especially for all the lost functionality on these.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
They're specifically made with Daemon X Machina in mind, so the people in the video play test it with... Mario Odyssey. Fucking dolts.

Daemon X Machine is just a branding thing, its not made with "it" in mind, its not like a RE Revelations type thing with the second analog. This is just "proper" analogs, bigger/more confortable etc. Odyssey was just as good a game to test it on as Daemon would.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Daemon X Machine is just a branding thing, its not made with "it" in mind, its not like a RE Revelations type thing with the second analog. This is just "proper" analogs, bigger/more confortable etc. Odyssey was just as good a game to test it on as Daemon would.

No, the button placement and triggers under the handles actually were done with DxM in mind.

Oct 28, 2017
My main issue with the joycons is the sticks so this immediately appeals to me. Lack of gyro isn't an issue if the right stick is good enough to aim with. Too bad my 2 year old managed to pull my docked switch down off the table. Screen has a nice gouge in it now that is too noticable and distracting for handheld play.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
The only thing holding me off is a confirmation that the tablet's gyro kicks in, in place of the Joy-cons. I like rumble but could live without it. Gyro though is a huge miss. It's weird because Daemon x Machina supposedly uses Gyro too..

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I'll share my thoughts on it from another thread:

I'm torn...

On the one hand, it's exactly what I've always wanted. "Pro" joycons that have the size and ergonomics of a typical controller (without adding too much weight hopefully), programmable squeeze triggers on the back (I'm desperately addicted to paddles and squeeze triggers), actually attachable (not vice grip style), and an affordable price point ($50).

However... I just hate so many things about the design of this one. The tacky red thumbsticks and X (for the Daemon X Machina tie-in), the tall sharp-cut buttons, the fact that they overlap with the curves of the casing, the way the controllers protrude like a quarter inch above the screen instead of from the back (where you don't have to look at it or feel it).

It's like, I want the idea of this SO MUCH, but I don't want this.

Idk. I hope other manufacturers are already working on similar takes of the same idea.

If the concept holds up and it reviews well, I might still get it... but only use it at home 😅

Joeschmo

Jul 11, 2018
I've got a satisfye grip and the hori dpad joycon and I've still been eyeballing this thing. Still sometimes get sore thumbs playing a dpad heavy game. The missing stuff doesn't bother me at all. I play handheld 99% of the time.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
That is hideous. I'm all for people enjoying things however they want to enjoy them if it ain't hurting anyone else, but the grump inside of me is like, if you need to change something so drastically in order for it to be comfortable for you (legit able-ness aside), maybe just don't even bother?

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Amazing. A d-pad. I still can't understand why Nintendo themselves haven't released a joycon with one yet.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugly as sin but I have them on preorder since forever.

They're basically ideal for me right now seeing as how I only play the switch on my bed and there's my wife and baby just beside me, so I have long deactivated vibration in the system, and this seems like the buttons won't do that annoying click sound (normally satisfying, but in my case annoying, or at least according to my wife) and it has an actual dpad. Also seem much more comfortable.

Missed opportunity to try Daemon X Machina and mapping some of the back buttons or try out the turbo function.

MIMF

Nov 23, 2017
This device is my hope to be able to enjoy any shooter undocked as playing with the joycons is a plain torture.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
I could live without the DxM branding, but otherwise these seem dope. Does anyone know if the Switch can be docked with these still attached? If so, I may pick these up for Zelda

It can't be docked with these attached.
EDIT: the reddit review that said it couldn't be docked was wrong, and new videos show that it CAN be docked. Sorry!

As some who plays 100% handheld and doesn't even use the dock for charging, I am definitely interested in them. They look super comfy compared to the crampy joycons.

Last edited:

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish Nintendo would just make a variety of fully-featured alternate Joy-Con with all the features. There are so many options, like:

- Large ones like this
- Joy-Con versions of older controllers like NES, SNES or GameCube
- One for fighting games and older games with a huge D-Pad on the left, 6 buttons on the right and two big shoulder buttons
- Something more shooter focused with a large trigger

The possibilities are endless. Instead we get third-party stuff with no wireless, rumble or gyro.

This would require Nintendo to not have incompetent management, but management who understood what makes their products popular. However, we have decades of idiotic decisions proving they don't.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I just use the pro controller and set the switch on the coffee table or night stand on a hori stand. The joy con's are way too small for my hands. We've had threads on here before and kotaku did an article about it and my hands must be on the larger than normal size. They just get cramped

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Switch has a pretty good number of fighting games now that I'm actually surprised Hori hasn't released big joycons that has 6 face buttons and maybe a left joycon that has the analog and dpad swapped.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
I mean... this is suppose to be a Daemon X Machina special yet it does not have Gyro support which is featured in the game.
I would have bought it if it had Gyro aim to be honest.

Switch has a pretty good number of fighting games now that I'm actually surprised Hori hasn't released big joycons that has 6 face buttons and maybe a left joycon that has the analog and dpad swapped.
Also this, I will buy it just for fighting games. No rumble no gyro needed in this case, just give me 6 face button and a D-pad.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
That is hideous. I'm all for people enjoying things however they want to enjoy them if it ain't hurting anyone else, but the grump inside of me is like, if you need to change something so drastically in order for it to be comfortable for you (legit able-ness aside), maybe just don't even bother?
Don't even bother what?

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean, we can disagree. But Nintendo clearly doesn't think it would be profitable because y'know it doesn't exist
Nintendo does indeed make a lot of poor decisions.

The more realistic reason is Nintendo just doesn't want the every joycon can be its own controller thing to not be an option. Nintendo being Nintendo.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I have the Satisfye Grip BUT MAN these are temping as hell I really got to wait for reviews cause Im very sensitive to proper feeling *controllers*