• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
1000x-1.jpg

Hong Kong's embattled leader, Carrie Lam, plans to formally withdraw a controversial bill that would have allowed extraditions to China, the South China Morning Post reported on Wednesday, citing unidentified sources.

The formal withdrawal of the bill is one of the major demands of pro-democracy protesters who have demonstrated against the government for almost three months. Lam has called a 4 p.m. meeting with pro-establishment politicians, the SCMP said.

Source - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...am-to-formally-withdraw-extradition-bill-scmp

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Good for Hong Kong. This is fantastic news.

It's been a long hard fight for pro-democracy protesters. Good for them for not giving up, despite the incredible uphill battle.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations to all of the protestors in Hong Kong. I hope the leaders there realize that no matter what the government in China wants, none of it really matters if your entire population refuses.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Fighting for what's right makes a difference. Take note fellow Americans and all the defeatists in this forum.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
This is great news! This proves that protesting about something you believe in actually works and makes a difference. I wish it hadn't taken that long, but better late than never

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's the likely trajectory of the protests now? I remember they wanted Lam to resign and they're not quite there yet.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That feeling when you realize protesting in China is getting more results than protesting in the USA

1QDhmR3.jpg

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
People who complain about protests really do piss me off. They don't understand basic history.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
This is a good start as one of the five major demands of the protest is met.
We'll see how the situation develops from this point on...

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could be positive like you lot but it's inevitable. The whole of China needs to change for the better, not a city that will be assimilated into the rest of the country in our lifetimes.

You lot really think China is just going to let things slide? I don't trust the government, I am wary of such news.

Last edited:

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Finally some good news. Happy for them and I'm hoping this will inspire peeps to keep pushing against the authoritarian onslaught everywhere.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
This somehow makes me feel uneasy, as I feel China won't just buckle, not in the long term.

2047 integration date still stands. That's the deal. Making Hong Kong submit by force would be breaking that deal. Long term that would hurt China, since respecting deals is extremely important in world of economics. China will push boundaries and see how much they can get away with, this is a place where they couldn't.

My personal guess is, they hoped that protests would wind down once schools started again 1st of September, but protests didn't stop. So here we are. But as I said, 2047 integration date still stands and these protests will not change that.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I wish I could be positive like you lot but it's inevitable. The whole of China needs to change for the better, not a city that will be assimilated into the rest of the country in our lifetimes.

You lot really think China is just going to let things slide? I don't trust the government, I am wary of such news.

maybe they can wait?
i mean HK still will be merge completely with china on 2047.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Out of spite I had hoped the protests would take another few weeks, at least until 1 October so that China's propaganda holiday would have a smudge on it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when you realize protesting in China is getting more results than protesting in the USA
Mass protest gets harder and harder to do the larger your country gets. The reason you can get success in Puerto Rico and Hong Kong is primarily the lack of landmass because it allows for a much larger proportion of the population to have access to the protests.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017

Or course not, and HK is on borrowed time anyway ever since Thatcher sold them out to China.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
This is fantastic in that they've won the battle, but they certainly haven't won outright freedom yet. Even so, protest WORKS. Perhaps that could be a lesson for all the lazy fat asses who think otherwise.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Good start. And a good fuck you to all the people that kept downplaying the purpose of the movement, fake fatalists with their "China doesn't care, it's useless..."

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A good step, well done, protests work but that Chinese government will never rest.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Fuck yes! I'm so happy that their fights and protests achieved something like this. This is awesome!