• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

Hong Kong's justice minister hurt her arm when she fell while on an official trip in London on Thursday, in what was the first physical confrontation between a cabinet official and Hong Kong protesters.
Teresa Cheng Yeuk-wah, who is in London to promote Hong Kong as a centre of dispute resolution, appeared calm but shocked while surrounded for several minutes by at least 30 protesters angry about the administration's handling of the anti-government protests.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
It is getting out of hand, but the government and the police has done nothing but to inflame the crisis.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
The world is just a fucking mess right now...And history just keeps on repeating itself.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Worth remembering that the ire of the protestors is just as much directed towards the Hong Kong establishment as it is the mainland, which something a lot of people overlook.

Also worth noting that the tweet you linked to is by the editor in chief of the Global Times, which is a media arm of the CCP. The death itself may be fact, but his spin on it is propaganda.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Also worth noting that the tweet you linked to is by the editor in chief of the Global Times, which is a media arm of the CCP. The death itself may be fact, but his spin on it is propaganda.

To be fair, the BBC link directly contradicts the last claim in that tweet. 'The first direct death' part is questionable as well, as if the young protestors who have died do not count.

Vador

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

I don't post often but this make me furious that you just post this twitter when ignoring all those polices doing horrible things in Hong kong ? What about the poor 15 years old boy that was hit by a tear gas canister by the police and will be possibly paralysed all his life ? What about that girl that got gang rapped by the police ? what about the 21 that got shot by the police and all those mysterious death ? you cannot ignore every action the police do that are dangerous. Most prostests are peaceful they always get out of hand when the police show off and start being crazy.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
I guess anything that comes from the other side of the spectrum is considered propaganda now, and everything that comes from the US has to be taken like a holy force of nature.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The BBC also reported how one of the protesters is thought to have killed a 70 year old man by throwing a brick at his head.

Things are continuously getting more difficult in Hong Kong and it just gave the Chinese president ammunition.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I guess anything that comes from the other side of the spectrum is considered propaganda now, and everything that comes from the US has to be taken like a holy force of nature.

Whoosh. Don't you understand that the framing is propaganda??

1) if a protestor killed someone. Have that protestor arrested. It means nothing in regards to the merits of the protest or the majority of peaceful protestors. It's the same lack of logic used in racism. Blaming a group for the actions of an individual. It's just dumb propaganda.

2) the west reported it. What do you want the news to say? To suddenly side with authoritarian fascistic anti protester actions? The accusation that the west didn't report it when in the big scheme of things it's still pretty minor is just part of the propaganda conspiracy that the protests are being planted by the west. It's propaganda. If you don't see it... Think about why.

When right wing US . Media uses the same lack of logic to smear black lives matter protesters it's still propaganda. It has nothing to do with what country it comes from. Propaganda is clear as day if you are able to think critically. Clearly, not everyone is.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
2) the west reported it. What do you want the news to say? To suddenly side with authoritarian fascistic anti protester actions? The accusation that the west didn't report it when in the big scheme of things it's still pretty minor is just part of the propaganda conspiracy that the protests are being planted by the west. It's propaganda. If you don't see it... Think about why.

It's not hard to argue that BBC news is framing the news from the Chinese authorities perspective.

The word 'Appalling' is in quotations, but that headline does foreground the Chinese government's response over anything else. The protestors are always at a disadvantage in this sense and that is probably why the HK government has seen fit to escalate the situation at every turn, to provoke the protestors and to take away their moral high without looking into why ordinary people would risk so much in these protests.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck Teresa Cheng.
People should punch her wherever she shows her face.

Salient posting from that source isn't surprising.
SCMP politics sucks, but it's probably your best news source in Hong Kong.
That's clear propaganda lol.
It's not propaganda, it's not directly related to this story, but there is no reason to believe this is a manufactured or made up story.
It has been reported by every credible media source.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Fuck Teresa Cheng.
People should punch her wherever she shows her face.

SCMP politics sucks, but it's probably your best news source in Hong Kong.

It's not propaganda, it's not directly related to this story, but there is no reason to believe this is a manufactured or made up story.
It has been reported by every credible media source.

Propaganda is not just about making facts up.
The framing is clear propaganda.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They're talking about the Global Times tweet

Yes. And what the fuck does it have to do with a politician falling and hurting herself during a protest in London?

Somehow, the pro hong kong protesters are intrinsically violent no matter what country they're in or who it is or the circumstances???

Gtfo with that propaganda bullshit.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Maybe we don't need to post twitter accounts that just sprout propaganda when there have been other sources?

It is unfortunate that he died and the violence escalation is worrying but this is totally on the HK police and the government failure to control them.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday, a super well known 24 hour news channel based in Toronto (CP24) was talking about the protests, but only mentioned the police and Chinese governments' stances and statements. Not surprised BBC is doing the same.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The tweet itself does probably not belong in this thread, and it is from a clearly biased poster, but to dismiss the whole issue with increasing violence as propaganda is a bit naive. I have been following the protests on SCMP, and based on what they report there are some, but I am not saying many, radical protesters that use violence on citizens that are not symphatic their cause. You can see videos on SCMP where ordinary senior citizens are pushed after verbal arguments, and there was a video a few weeks ago where a young banker employee knocked down because of saying «we are all chinese». Luckily, in the same videos, there are black clad protestors that go between the victim and the perpetrator and try to calm the situation down. Having said that, the amount of unprovoked violence and injury from the protestors side, can obviously not be compared to that of the other side. Still, I cannot see how the violence against ordinary citizens can be justified by the violence of the police.

Make a thread about increasing violence then and then provide your hypothesis for the cause and connection between increasing violence in hong kong and a protest in london where someone fell.

Where the fuck did I justify violence anywhere???

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017

In case anyone was wondering about what makes this pro-CCP propaganda, it's that the protesters contend that a number of deaths are attributable to the conduct of the police, so saying that this is the first death to come out of the protests (note also the use of the term "riot" in the tweet) is only true if you believe that the police have adequately policed their own conduct by saying that they aren't responsible for any of the suspicious deaths of protesters that have occurred in the last few months.

Even if you "both sides" this - you shouldn't, since one party is the CCP and the other is most of the population of Hong Kong, who have no dog in this fight except for preserving the limited freedoms that they've enjoyed since the handover - you'd still be forced to conclude that there are no truly uncontested facts here, so to present this as an uncontested fact is not objective.

The protesters have the better evidence anyway, and in a lot of the cases the only counterpoint against the accusations of protester deaths being caused by police is the police's own word. We shouldn't trust a totalitarian arm of a totalitarian government to tell us the truth, especially when doing so is contrary to their interests.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The tweet itself does probably not belong in this thread, and it is from a clearly biased poster, but to dismiss the whole issue with increasing violence as propaganda is a bit naive. I have been following the protests on SCMP, and based on what they report there are some, but I am not saying many, radical protesters that use violence on citizens that are not symphatic their cause. You can see videos on SCMP where ordinary senior citizens are pushed after verbal arguments, and there was a video a few weeks ago where a young banker employee knocked down because of saying «we are all chinese». Luckily, in the same videos, there are black clad protestors that go between the victim and the perpetrator and try to calm the situation down. Having said that, the amount of unprovoked violence and injury from the protestors side, can obviously not be compared to that of the other side. Still, I cannot see how the violence against ordinary citizens can be justified by the violence of the police.
There was always a problematic nativist element to these protests, I never got the sense that it was particularly big, and it most certainly didn't manage to put their agenda in the five demands. Ironically, both the US and Beijing are signal boosting those people, Ameirca because they use the harshest words against Beijing, and Beijing because that's where most of the racists are.

In the last couple of weeks things seem to be escalating, and I hope it's not because those people are getting to call more of the shots, because I think that's the last thing those protests need.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
The violence is not unprovoked. The violence has come about as a result of the (much more systemic and significant) violence against protesters. This is exacerbated by the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing tactics employed by the police (see: Yuen Long) that encourages protesters to be paranoid and mistrusting.

I'm not claiming that everything that the protesters do is defensible, but you're creating a false equivalency by divorcing these videos of bad actors on the protester side of their context. There's also something to be said about how "we are all Chinese" is a sentence that's not nearly as politically neutral as it sounds, since it a) implies the protesters are racist, b) implies that the protesters need to be told this, c) implies that everyone being Chinese means we can't be critical of the erosion of freedoms, and d) implies that remonstrating the government for their conduct has anything at all to do with ethnicity.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
User Warned: Conspiracy rhetoric over multiple posts
Watch this piece of evidence ("propaganda" as you call it) with a grain of salt.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Salient posting from that source isn't surprising.

How can you read an article if you can't even read a nickname :P

And why isn't surprising? It seems you know a lot about me :O

I don't post often but this make me furious that you just post this twitter when ignoring all those polices doing horrible things in Hong kong ? What about the poor 15 years old boy that was hit by a tear gas canister by the police and will be possibly paralysed all his life ? What about that girl that got gang rapped by the police ? what about the 21 that got shot by the police and all those mysterious death ? you cannot ignore every action the police do that are dangerous. Most prostests are peaceful they always get out of hand when the police show off and start being crazy.

What about you post me some sources on that? I cannot find anything about any of those things.

Or to fire live rounds at protesters apparently.

Try to take a gun from a police officer in the US, it's a bold strategy cotton, see if it pays off.

1) if a protestor killed someone. Have that protestor arrested. It means nothing in regards to the merits of the protest or the majority of peaceful protestors. It's the same lack of logic used in racism. Blaming a group for the actions of an individual. It's just dumb propaganda.

1) there are so many peaceful protestors throwing bricks in these videos. So many bricks that could have ended on the heads of civilians.
2)I was just informing about it since no one here opened a thread about it or at least I couldn't find it, I was just informing of it, because it's almost like people don't want to see that some "peaceful protestors" are killing innocent people.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I can believe that a 70-year-old was killed by a brick in protests, but blaming that on the protestors is without question "cop worried for his safety as criminal tries to break the cop's fist with his own head" spin

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Watch this piece of evidence ("propaganda" as you call it) with a grain of salt.

I'm dropping out at about 9:00 in. This is pointless nonsense. There is no evidence or point. I'm not sure what he even means by US backing them or why that's a bad thing. It's just random irrelevant disconnected complaints told in a style that feels like a knock off of Ben Shapiro.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't watched the video (can't watch it now), but you had Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley down in Hong Kong professing their support to these protests, Joshua Wong met with Mike Pence and Marco Rubio (misstep if you ask me, but that's a different story) and the US probably gonna pass a sanction package around them pretty soon.
I don't think it's a secret that the US support these protests, though I'm not 100% sure it cares about the five demands or police brutality all that much.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018

These videos are pretty interesting to watch, watch em with a grain of salt.

I'm a CCP propaganda bot.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

wood.jpg

Yep, that's propaganda

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You dare question America's commitment to ending police brutality??? /s
How dare you?
Marco Rubio cares about police brutality all over the world.
He cares about it in Hong Kong.
He cares about it in Cuba.
He cares about it in Venezuela.
He cares about it in Iran.
He cares about it in Gaza.
He cares about it in Syria.
And if he ever asks Siri "what is the government of Uzbekistan?" I'm sure he'll start to care about it too.

He just haven't gotten around to care about it in the US, but his plate is full!