• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think?

• I've liked this new schedule

Votes: 227 20.6%
  • I haven't liked it. Bring back E3 week.

Votes: 874 79.4%

• Total voters

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
It was probably just a one off to see how it did but i dont really like Nintendo just randomly announcing a new paper mario via twitter.

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
As someone who writes news and features, no. E3 week is manic sure but we can plan easily for that, and have more time to schedule interviews and previews. With the current system there's an absolute onslaught of announcements. Take GC this weekend. There's what 90 games getting shown? Add the ones from the PS5 reveal and then EA Play later this week that's a lot of games. Usually with conferences we can do round ups but that becomes unmanageable in this scenario purely down to time. That's not to mention all the press releases hitting my inbox about other games that aren't being showcased.

Where before stories and announcements had a bit of time to breathe now content is coming in so fast that stories get pushed off the front page within hours. It also gives us less time to sort out interviews and other interesting features because we're so busy trying to keep track of all these different events and announcements.

Last edited:

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
It sucks e3 made companies have to show and bring a lot more to the table and for more info sources now they just show YouTube trailers with no more deep after

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
another proof how messy it all is, there where 4 events that I completely missed out on. I used to always check the resetera E3 schedule posted and I knew exactly what to kind of expect in terms of events, now.. I just missed PC gaming show, Future games show, and 2 days of Guerrilla collective.

May 12, 2020
It has been pretty underwhelming so far except for Sony. There's nothing in the IGN and Indie showcases to get me hyped. I forgot all about the Guerrilla Collective Yesterday, and I'm sure I didn't miss anything. I'm sure MS presentation will feel like E3, but it's too far away. We need E3 back so we can have our gaming super bowl week back full hypes and excitement. This is not it, E3 please come back.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've been enjoying it for sure but it's nowhere near as good as regular E3. Having a massive blast of tons of news over one week is crazy and it's a crime that we've missed the craziness of a console launch E3. Everyone's done a good job of making it work though. Extraordinary times and all that!

Excited for whenever the next E3 is though. I know some love to hate it but it's the best.

May 12, 2020
I like it so far, and it seems like viewership for these events is pretty strong across the board. I think E3 is dead and not coming back anytime soon tbh.
I just wish things were more scheduled. It would be nice to have an exact calendar, but I understand it's almost impossible to schedule things months in advance with what's happening in the world right now.

I think I still prefer the 3 or 4 day blitz of press conferences and E3 hype, but this is fun too.

Besides Sony, the viewership has not been great at all.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like it but the events should be closer to each other.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't feel like two new console are coming out this year. Usually in a new console year E3 is crazy and it doesn't feel like that this time.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Do they really expect people to tune in all the time? I really can't see people being excited to watch some streams 10 weeks long. I would really like to see all the views after those 10 weeks, cause i guess, most views will have Sony/Microsoft and everything else is gonna be underwhelming.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
everything being within a predetermined couple of days is such a convenience.

normally id watch absolutely everything every publisher had to share, but this year im not even gonna bother with anything other than sony and ms stuff

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Bookmarking this thread for the next time someone says that E3 is pointless and publishers should just do direct-to-fan digital events instead of a big trade show event.

Feels like the vast majority of the posts in here are in favour of E3 rather than whatever we've had this Summer?

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
another proof how messy it all is, there where 4 events that I completely missed out on. I used to always check the resetera E3 schedule posted and I knew exactly what to kind of expect in terms of events, now.. I just missed PC gaming show, Future games show, and 2 days of Guerrilla collective.
www.resetera.com

Summer 2020 Video Game Events Mega Thread

This thread is a WIP, and new events, information, and summaries will be posted as more information is known. Please bear with us as we flesh out this thread :). Any information or help is greatly appreciated as we work to present you with a comprehensive list of all important gaming...

It's still there though. You can still at the click of a button see what is happening daily and what to expect.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
I can see a certain appeal.
- For one, as already mentioned, it is really nice for us Europeans to be able to watch it all at a reasonable time
- The video shows are tailored for entertainment and with condensed information
- I think many smaller games become more visible as part of these condensed video shows. Scattered over a longer period it could really give some titles more time to shine as opposed to E3 where I don't even get to see all the games because there is just too many trailers that I will never watch.

I agree, having it all in one week makes it easier to know when stuff is happening, but I think in the future this whole Summer Games thing could also be improved so that it's easier to see what's going on.

Ultimately, however, I think we get back to that one week in June because when there is a phyiscal event happening again, of course everybody is going for that due to all the logistics and stuff.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Summer 2020 Video Game Events Mega Thread

This thread is a WIP, and new events, information, and summaries will be posted as more information is known. Please bear with us as we flesh out this thread :). Any information or help is greatly appreciated as we work to present you with a comprehensive list of all important gaming...

It's still there though. You can still at the click of a button see what is happening daily and what to expect.
10 events spread out over a single week is far easier to track than 50 over 4 month.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It cant be great for all parties involved. I've only watched PS5, Unreal Demo, and Inside Xbox. The only other event I knew happened (after the fact) was the PC Gamer show. Surely there were other events but they're falling through the cracks unless they're the biggest news.

It's easier to just focus on and watch everything for a week than to follow it all over several weeks.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Outside of the Sony showcase (which was noteworthy because of the PS5 unveil), I haven't been assed to watch or seek out anything. Whereas during E3 week, I've actively allocated time to just soak in all sorts of new unveils and trailers and panels and conferences and absorb it all. And even in the case of Sony, I think they actively did themselves a disservice going the livestream route with a 1080p showcase that failed to deliver the full impact of the graphical leap that should prod people into wanting to buy into a new ecosystem. They should have just rolled out all of the 4K footage that showed up after the fact.

With not even Nintendo bothering to do much, I'm finding it especially hard to get invested which more or less means I'm not at all enthused about either of the big console launches this fall and the game I'm most excited for is one that came out in Japan last year... 13 Sentinels.

Not sure how the absence of E3 is going to impact people's buying habits... I actually don't think they'll be impacted all that much on the software side of things because the same games are going to sell like always. The annual Call of Duty instalment. The sports games. The first-party Sony tentpoles. The 5-10 year old Rockstar games. And the big Nintendo franchises.

But I can't help but wonder if the adoption rate of the XBX and PS5 really lag because of this and the economy tanking and the potentially steep buy-in investment. I guess we'll see.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I like knowing exactly when news is coming. I like sitting here and posting with you guys while waiting for the conferences too.
It sucks to just suddenly see the news dropped in a twitter post or youtube vid.

This is the first time I'm seeing that list in the OP and I'm not gonna remember all that lol. I feel completely out of the loop.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It's been awful. This summer is going to be the best advertisement for E3's relevancy and necessity that the ESA could have ever hoped for.

I miss the concentrated dump of new games information over a week, instead of dribs and drabs over months, with lots of "shows" where you're trying to find diamonds in the rough. The stagecraft, and the memes, and the curation, and the gamesmanship between the platform holders. All of that stuff made E3 special. Not to mention all of the panels, and roundtables, and interviews etc. that take place during E3 week, because the entire industry and media are in the same place for a week.

Once the world is back to normal, I hope people have a newfound appreciation for E3 week - and that includes some of the companies that had pulled out in the last few years.

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020
Yeah, the Sony show was the only one I actually watched so far. I didn't even know that there are potentially shows that I've missed. During E3 I would actually try to watch all the conferences, even for the studios I don't actually care much about. Everything about this summer thing has left me really confused. Even the schedule in the tweet in the OP leaves me confused about whether there are even shows or anything happening? Or if they're just game announcements.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the truth will end up somewhere in the middle.

This Summer Games thing will ultimately prove that E3 is done, I think. It just needs tightening up. You can still call it Summer of Gaming (or whatever) and still have it condensed over a week or even two at the start of June, rather than things being as spread as they seem to be right now.

Ultimately this is the first year of trying to do this and trying to replace a 20+ year institution of the industry. There has to be room to acknowledge what's worked and what still needs work, rather than this blanket "I hate this! Bring back E3!" or "This is good! E3 is dead!".

I can envisage Year 2 bringing improvements that really tighten this thing up into something more akin to a digital E3, especially with more publisher support and without two platform holders playing a seemingly unending game of brinkmanship over who says what first.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hadn't realised anything had happened besides the PS5 event.

Bring back rEal3

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It really sucks, because of how spread out it is without any type of actual organization. It's especially frustrating for people who want news from Nintendo though because E3 was basically a guarantee that we'd get a lot of info from them, and now we have nothing like that.

BusinessKong

Dec 3, 2018
Normally, a couple of friends and I would take time off work to get together, grill some food, drink some beer and watch the big conferences, but now with everything so spread out and uncertain we can't. I miss normal E3.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I think the truth will end up somewhere in the middle.

This Summer Games thing will ultimately prove that E3 is done, I think. It just needs tightening up. You can still call it Summer of Gaming (or whatever) and still have it condensed over a week or even two at the start of June, rather than things being as spread as they seem to be right now.

Ultimately this is the first year of trying to do this and trying to replace a 20+ year institution of the industry. There has to be room to acknowledge what's worked and what still needs work, rather than this blanket "I hate this! Bring back E3!" or "This is good! E3 is dead!".

I can envisage Year 2 bringing improvements that really tighten this thing up into something more akin to a digital E3, especially with more publisher support and without two platform holders playing a seemingly unending game of brinkmanship over who says what first.

Prove what? Lower viewership than ever across the board (except for Sony event)?

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I like indie games, but I don't want to watch 3 events back to back all featuring indie games almost exclusively.

I much prefer a mix of big budget games and indie games.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I prefer the E3 format. The PS5 reveal was by the far the biggest gaming related event for me, so that has mitigated a lot. But then waiting for the rest feels messy.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I feel like companies should have coordinated more and keep the pace up a bit better. It's all too spaced out in my opinion. E3 was too much too quick, but I think there is a better middle-ground. But this is also a gen transition year and those are always weird because most next-gen stuff being made isn't quite ready for primetime as usual.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like companies should have coordinated more and keep the pace up a bit better. It's all too spaced out in my opinion.

If only there was some neutral body that could work with all of the platform holders/publishers to co-ordinate everything into a shorter space of time... Maybe they could do an event!

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind it. It allows me to much more easily curate the events I want to be involved in.

The PS5 presentation was a blast. Don't think I've watched anything else from this Summer of Games thing. But then again, I'm not interested in much else. Unless it's Nintendo, Square-Enix or a select few others that make games I'm invested in.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, claims that E3 was dead was always extremely naive, and this summer mess is already demonstrating how important having an overarching event to hang everything off is.

Oct 27, 2017
Prove what? Lower viewership than ever across the board (except for Sony event)?

The platform holders are all it takes. Nintendo are already reaching their audience without. You've already acknowledged Sony. Microsoft will be fine too. The future of E3 doesn't sit on the shoulders of the PC Gamer Show or a Guerilla Collective stream.

Presumably you also read the rest of my post that said there needs to be room to acknowledge what hasn't worked and needs to be tightened up?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I mean given the circumstances we are all in I think it's better than nothing but I haven't been a huge fan of it myself. Whereas before we knew we were in for announcements all within the same time period, now everything is kind of all over the map so you don't know what or when something you care about will be announced.