• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think?

• I've liked this new schedule

Votes: 227 20.6%
  • I haven't liked it. Bring back E3 week.

Votes: 874 79.4%

• Total voters

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I prefer it. Gives me a little something to look forward to every week. Like others said too, it lets stuff breath. When E3 week happens, so much stuff can get drowned out. This still happened during the PC Gaming Show. Now triple that and make it back to back to back. It really lowers burnout for me.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Instead of getting everything now and then just talking about it, now people are just talking about what they hope to see when they finally show something.

Seems like there's no hype like E3 week, where it all feels special.

Now it feels like you can miss something and not care that much.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it it so far and would prefer a more focused week or two of gaming news.

Also, no idea what this Jason tweet has to do with the thread but I didn't like the way Jason publicly went after Jeff.

Team E3 and Team Jeff.

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
I prefer E3 than this. This sucks. I loved getting all the news in 3 days. I would always take off days from work for it. Now I can't even watch most stuff live.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Obvioulsy circumstance have lead to this trickled output but I don't like the format and would prefer going back to the condensed weeklong schedule once things go back to normal.

Oct 27, 2017
It fucking sucks. E3 better come back in 2021 or someone make a new show or something, I won't go through another summer of gaming

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Besides the PS5 conference I've zoned out from everything. I'll watch the Xbox one as well but that's it.

Oct 29, 2017
I think this sucks. It doesn't feel like anything "special" to me, certainly not like the build up of hype we experienced whenever E3 week was drawing closer in past years.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
I strongly disagree, I've missed multiple announcements because it's awkward to keep track of when everything is on, and I can't set aside time for a period of two months to watch conferences and shows, versus E3 where you can take 3-4 days off and see everything.

Instead of giving things their own spotlight it's instead just giving me time to realise how poor some of these shows/announcements are. At E3 it's easy to look over that when you have such a large amount of news at once.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like it at all, at least before you had a week or two of announcements, nice and compact. Especially with having a job its easier to take in, you take some days off if you can, and just enjoy the show. Especial with living in Europe its much easier with the time zones and all.

Now things are spread out and unsure. when is the next event, what time? nobody knows for sure. there is no plan, its all a mess.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's been kind of lame tbh. Everything is so scattered that it's a bit hard to keep track of. Rather have 3 days devoted to it that 4 months.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think without the peer-pressure from other companies all coming together at an event, makes it much easier for others to not justify any additional effort.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
shit sux imo. but i guess it's "karma" for a decade plus of watching E3s and bitching how which respective one sucked

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds pretty fun on paper, but with events being super spread out with no concrete day or time of showing, it ends up feeling kinda whatever.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Honestly, I fucking hate it....I like that there's no need for huge venues and all that shit and that we can watch pre recorded shit, but I much more prefer for all of those to happen in a 3 day schedule. I literally have no clue when each event is happening, there's a million different schedules, it just sucks the hype out of everything....I didn't even know that the PC gaming show was happening yesterday, just stumbled upon it. Therefore, they can do it like that, but it would be great if they could all kinda come to an agreement and do it in the same week.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not a huge fan of it honestly. With everything so spread out and somewhat random I'm worried I'm going to be missing something. There's nowhere that really collects all these announcements and info in one place so it's been really tough to actually keep up with it all.

Whereas with E3 week the hype and excitement got me to scroll through everything and watch it all. Having stuff spread out 2, 3, and even 4 weeks from now doesn't inspire me to watch everything and keep up that same level of excitement.

I also miss the jokes and hot takes from era. A lot of them were nonsense and ridiculous but they added to the fun of it all.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's pretty terrible, and Sony/MS events will probably be the only ones with the bombs anyway.

Jan 4, 2018
Can't say I agree. Everything being so spread out just makes it less interesting to me. I feel no need to be engaged with what is going on so it all just kind of passes by. Plus I just don't like seeing everything pre-recorded, it feels so lifeless and sterile.

I'm also learning just how much I miss things like hands-on impressions and interviews. Which is funny because I always used to consider those an afterthought to the big conferences.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
No, I don't like it.

It a complete mess. A bunch of mini-events scattered around.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It's easier for me to tune in and pay attention when its one compact week, when its all scattered about I can't be bothered paying attention to various things.

So I havent watched or heard about shit.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I was all for it at first. It didn't take long for me to hate it. We need E3 back. (Or something like it)

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's awful.
Biggest reason why I like E3 so much: everyone's in it together all reacting and seeing things at the same time.
Second biggest reason: it's all shoved into a single week, so even if one day doesn't have something you're into the next day is bound to!

As it is now, with everything so gd scattered, it's not only super hard to keep track of but as a JRPG fan I'm just kinda sitting here twiddling my thumbs for what feels like ever. This type of setup just sucks all the hype out of everything. I really, really, REALLY hope E3 returns next year. o<-<

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so used to June being the unveiling of shiny new games and July bringing some interesting film-related stuff out of Comic-Con. I can't say I enjoy this at all.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't like it personally. News and avents are too many all the time. It's annoying to follow each dates for each events and often they aren't as intense/interesting(breathtaking 😅) as E3.

So far, only Sony did something decent enough but even then it wasn't as big as a classic conference with th crowd reaction etc.

I have other things to do than check each time for each company event for months. E3 is a focused week and it's surely missed for me.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
It straight up sucks. If this was e3 we would be done by now satisfied with everything we have seen, waiting for gamescom to come up.

Instead we have all these lackluster shows. Haven't watched anything apart from the sony presentation. It's too many events to keep up with.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not felt anything like E3 week

I (probably) would have even been cool with it spanning a month, but all summer long removes any feeling of "an event". I forgot the whole Summer of Games was even a thing. It's just been companies unveiling things on their own time, with no specific reason to do it now/later.

That's just how I've felt. Not to try and say it's a terrible replacement, it is better than nothing. But yeah it definitely doesn't feel the same/"right" even one bit.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
To think Geoff Keighley is charging publishers money to participate in this ten-week "event" is a fucking joke.

We don't need the stage shows. But let's please create a three-day event where game publishers/devs/journalists all get together in a physical location to discuss the summer news cycle and play demos and such.

If they want to follow that up with a Friday-Sunday PAX-like event that's fine.

But really, can you imagine how terrible this summer would be as an E3 replacement of this wasn't a console launch cycle year? A total disaster.

Again, it doesn't have to be the ESA. But the powers that be should get together and rent some off-strip convention center space in Vegas and just get this done.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hate it! Watched Sonys event, and next one is Microsoft, everything else i can't be bothered, and i'm not gonna wait whole summer for some info/stream etc., it's just too much. They don't have to bring E3 back, but just do something like a Gamers-Week. One week, where they present all they got, and i'm on board.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan.

I miss the hype and excitement of a full week of amazing new news, where I could just fully immerse myself in it.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too much edging going on. E3 is to the point, balls to the wall announcements in a short time frame. This shit blows

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
I like everything being within the same week. Made it so much more exciting. The Microsoft July event is the only thing left that intrigues me.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
E3 would be over and I know I would be way happier knowing Sony and Microsoft were able to give 100% what they wanted to during their introductions to their systems

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Totally awful, have no clue whats been announced that I would be interested in because its split among 5 different events. Other than Persona 4 on steam and Sonys PS5 event I dont have an idea of whats been going on this past week and weekend. I see the sticky thread but is every event really been 3-4 trailers and nothing else? Can't rely on it.

E3 everything was compact and happening all at once, was easier to sift through.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, too many things are spread out. Rather just have one dedicated week where all games get spotlight and I know when to look forward to news.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
And there's also a weird chess thing going on

MS event in May
PS event in June
MS event in July
PS event in August
Nintendo doesn't care

No price from any of them. Let's see how long it will last.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I'm liking it so far. Feels like there's a lot more opportunities for indie developers and small publishers than E3. Must suck like hell for the press though with everything being so spread out and being unable to play things and do interviews in person. Especially the non-NA press which have to also deal with timezone differences that are usually addressed by having people at the expo.

The only thing I'd change is Nintendo's absence is definitely being felt right now. But they'll do their own thing eventually.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I prefer gorging and digesting. Right now the only things that have stuck with me is Mafia re-releases, the inside xbox, and PS reveal. I don't even really know what I've missed. I've browsed the game events sticky thread, but reading stuff isn't comparable to sitting through the trailers.