• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hopped on a mil-sim game, joined as a squad leader and immediately, some people in the squad start saying a bunch of racist stuff. I do what most people would do, just ignore them, but I decided to kick them and lock the squad. Then, they run over and start to teamkill me and destroys things that me and another mate built. There's more experiences on other games as well, but this instance really just exhausted me, to the point where I just quit the game.

I've had many instances where I would speak, someone would hear my voice, then they would start saying a lot of racist shit. I don't even feel comfortable talking in these games anymore.

I feel like I've had this experience primarily on PC, where the majority of people I come across in games are edgy, dank meme people running in large Discord servers. When playing on Xbox and Playstation, it seemed like I came across people from all walks of life. It seemed like most people I came across were just trying to have a good time playing the game for a little bit just to relax. Sure, there were racist people on Xbox and PS, but I was more likely to come across more minorities in the voice chat. Even then, there's more robust community standards and enforcement by Microsoft and Sony.

An obvious guess is that consoles are much more price-accessible to people, allowing for a more diverse group of ownership rather than dedicated desktops with lots of equipment.

With the latest experiences I'm debating if I even want to play multiplayer on my PC anymore.

For context, this is my first time gaming on PC in over 10/12 years.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
My girlfriend (white, to be clear) plays online with me a lot, and she never wants to use voice chat with random people because they'll instantly start saying stupid shit just because she's a woman. She only uses text chat or she tells me via discord to say stuff on the ingame voice chat on her behalf. It's sad

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The genres that are more prominent on PC like military sim tend to attract the worst people on top of that. It's not like liking historical/medieval European tactics games makes someone racist, but racists sure seem to like those settings!

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
Me and my buddies are minorities of various kinds and play on PC, it really depends on the type of game or region really.

I'd assume if you're playing a Mil-sim like ARMA that might be mainly based in European servers and players, those are regions with much less minorities than the US, so you'll be more susceptible to edgy or racist shit. If you play popular games like Warzone, R6: Siege, Halo and L4D2, you'll find a variety of people and much less of what you're describing. Crossplay should really help in that regard as well.

Nov 27, 2020
United States
plenty of minorities play games online? racism def exists yeah but we're more common than you might think. I'm mixed and I'm friends with a filipino girl and a black girl, both of whom play fairly mainsteam games online. we didn't even seek each other out, it just ended up that way

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I immediately turn off and ignore all communication in multiplayer games. I'll play Call of Duty on an objective focused game mode and still not use a headset for that shit.

It's why I loved Metal Gear Online's codec stuff. Pre-canned radio stuff is all I want and need.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, we play mad PC games online, lol.

Always have. Won't be stopping, either.

But I've been in private voice chat since Roger Wilco and Teamspeak...fuck that other shit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The genres that are more prominent on PC like military sim tend to attract the worst people on top of that. It's not like liking historical/medieval European tactics games makes someone racist, but racists sure seem to like those settings!
Man, now you're reminding me of times on For Honor...
Me and my buddies are minorities of various kinds and play on PC, it really depends on the type of game or region really.

I'd assume if you're playing a Mil-sim like ARMA that might be mainly based in European servers and players, those are regions with much less minorities than the US, so you'll be more susceptible to edgy or racist shit. If you play popular games like Warzone, R6: Siege, Halo and L4D2, you'll find a variety of people and much less of what you're describing. Crossplay should really help in that regard as well.
Yeah, I understand that it comes with the territory. I used to play Battlefield back in the day and I don't think I came across this kind of stuff.

Nah, we play mad PC games online, lol.

Always have. Won't be stopping, either.

But I've been in private voice chat since Roger Wilco and Teamspeak...fuck that other shit.
The only other black PC gamers I knew were my brothers and cousins back then. Everyone else just played console.

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
My husband and I don't play online with randoms for exactly this reason. It's not worth the headache to even try anymore, it ends poorly so often,

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
Man, now you're reminding me of times on For Honor...

Yeah, I understand that it comes with the territory. I used to play Battlefield back in the day and I don't think I came across this kind of stuff.
Sounds like a bad luck of the draw but Battlefield is a lot more mainstream than any mil-sim.

Last edited:

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
More like minorities aren't interested in mil-sim . The only 2 ppl I know who do that kinda stuff are white and a Dominican republican who wants to be white .

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
It's not any better on console, friend. Party chat/Discord has been a godsend. I do miss meeting new people over game chat though.

EDIT actually you make a fair point about price accessibility leaving to more diverse communities on console in comparison.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
That's just not true. Good luck staying away from racism on Console, though.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
Let me guess what you were playing. Squad?

I have been playing mil-sim games on PC for years and Squad has the most vulgar bunch of the lot. There are some mil-sim games, such as Hell Let Loose, that haven't been as bad though I do see more shitty behavior on mil-sim games than any other genre that is for sure.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I've stopped playing online altogether. Previously I'd be playing Battlefield V, and there'd be so much racist shit being typed on the prematch menu screen.

I'm sure it's everywhere, although Insurgency Sandstorm didn't seem bad, back when I played it

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Spanish accent and have ran into the same issue before on consoles. Which is why I never communicate with strangers in chat. I love games like Destiny where you can set it to not put you in chat right from the start.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was called the hard-r in Team Fortress 2 the other day....
I played a round of Trouble in Terrorist Town in Gmod years back, never played it again because of the racism I got... and guess what, I was always called the terrorist.

If Among Us had voice chat, I'd suspect it wouldn't be as popular.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Yea, I don't think this is true at all. Tons of countries biggest base of gamers are on mobile and PC.

edit: Also there's no doubt playing anything online console, PC or otherwise you're gonna hear racist vulgar shit that will turn people away from the experience. From my group of people I know it seems like a majority of them disable voice chat from the get go (and in the 2 League of Legends players I hang out with, also disable text chat often.)

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I can only speak for xbox live and online on PC but there are awful people on xbox live too.

Also there are online games I can only play on PC, if not how am I ever gonna play age of empires online?

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
More like minorities aren't interested in mil-sim . The only 2 ppl I know who do that kinda stuff are white and a Dominican republican who wants to be white .

LMAO!

For real though I dunno if that's true either...me and my friend used to love playing Operation Flashpoint/ARMA3 and stuff.

What I will say is that I *feel* like those kinds of military-heavy games have more and more users willing to be overtly/casually racist on voice or text chat than other games I've played online. I've never gotten racism playing puzzle games and fighters online, but I've gotten all kinds of shit playing streambait FPSes and Calladooty/Battlefield/Counter-Strike and so on.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
People saying this is just relegated to milsim games, etc, just aren't facing the truth. I can't get through a night of Overwatch with microphones on without hearing the N-word or something else yuck.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just depending on the game, and mil-sims are almost exclusively on PC. I also have struggled to play them for the same reason, despite loving every concept about them. I just don't want to deal with the bigotry and it keeps me away from mil-sims that absolutely require communication.

Racism is a pretty prominent thing in the most popular console shooters too. Back when I played COD on console still in high-school, I heard the N word more times than I could count and an absolute heap of homophobic jokes. It's not really a platform thing, it's the audience that is drawn to a specific kind of game, and mil-sims attract people who like their guns and base their entire personalities around being a stereotypical "macho man army dude who don't give two shits about you".

Otherwise, I play exclusively on PC outside of a few console exclusives and I don't feel like my platform of choice has been a factor in any bigotry or racism that I hear. And you're bound to find heaps of it in any hugely popular game, no matter what platform its on.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
I hopped on a mil-sim game, joined as a squad leader and immediately, some people in the squad start saying a bunch of racist stuff.
Yeah thats the Internet alright.

Though I think racists tend to gravitate to certain genres. Mil-sim isnt a surprise. Apparently games in the 4X genre like Crusader Kings attract them like flies too.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I play a lot of historical games on pc and let me tell ya, a lot of those communities have a great many racists

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah that thread title is completely untrue

People being racist/sexist/phobic in games doesn't mean they're white guys, 14 year olds online gamers of all ethnicities are going to treat you like shit

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I remember the first time I played a voice-chat game, my squad mates started saying "thank you, come again" and "hi Apu!" almost instantly. I'm from Spain, btw, I guess you can't ask for racists to even distinguish accents.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't even remember the last time I played a game with voice chat. It's just consistently awful, either racists all over the place or just shit-talkers in general.

Jul 24, 2020
Honestly PC multiplayer is increasingly shifty to me.

Cheaters, bots and people with annoying music programs they automatically play + everything you've said.

I think the racism/sexism is partially due to enviroment actually. People are more likely to play in the living room with a console too, where their words are heard by others.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I started with Socom 2, it was cool enough playing with the other site's clan. Then it started to happen, lots of racist jokes from the other teams. We'd turn it on them make fun of them as if we were laughing at them, as if their ignorance was entertaining. I then started using that when I went to a gamewith no voice chat, Final Fantasy XI. The racist talk was very rare there, especially since it was hard to even tell what race people were.

Now, I never play online multiplayer, especially on PC. The closest I get is Warframe, to level up in mindless defense missions where people don't talk or type.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
That definitely sounds like Squad, don't think I've played a match yet that hasn't had a racist dropping the nword. Meanwhile I play CoD, Gears, Halo, and all other mp games (granted they all have crossplay) pretty much every night, and I never hear racist stuff like I do on Squad. I hardly even hear homophobic stuff either, and that's pretty remarkable considering how vocal CoD lobbies are again, and the text chat in Gears is usually ringing off after matches

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I've never had a problem with online on PC (I'm black). I use voice chat all the time too.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
its the "realistic" shooters for me. Warzone has me seeing a side of the internet i absolutely hate. The audio when you kill someone can be as gentle as a "cmon man" to a full fledged racial slur. it need monitoring of some sorts.

never see or hear things like this in FFXI, FFXIV, Sea of Thieves, Destiny.....

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
OP, it's jarring to me that you never experienced this despite claiming to not have played on PC since "10-12 years" ago. Racism and banter was much, much more prevalent back in the mid 2000's. If you think it's worse now, I have to imagine you didn't play much multiplayer back then because it's a lot more tame now, in my opinion. For the record, I am brown and have not experienced any sort of discrimination in online games. I'm not downplaying this issue, just giving my experience as a minority.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
This has been a thing since forever. I have been hearing it for 20 years and it will never go away. It honestly funny, most of the time, that they think they can make me mad or something.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
LMAO!

For real though I dunno if that's true either...me and my friend used to love playing Operation Flashpoint/ARMA3 and stuff.

What I will say is that I *feel* like those kinds of military-heavy games have more and more users willing to be overtly/casually racist on voice or text chat than other games I've played online. I've never gotten racism playing puzzle games and fighters online, but I've gotten all kinds of shit playing streambait FPSes and Calladooty/Battlefield/Counter-Strike and so on.
Idk in my experience it just seems like white ppl are more interested in military role play lol. Probably not true but just going from the examples I know.

lol dominican republician
lol that does sound weird . I mean the political republicans

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
They get to live out their fantasies based on traditional societies that never actually existed outside of their heads.