• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will there be a game with more critical acclaim than Cyberpunk 2077 released in 2020?

• No

Votes: 170 12.7%
  • Yes, Breath of the Wild

Votes: 256 19.1%
  • Yes, Half Life Alyx

Votes: 75 5.6%
  • Yes, FFVII Remake

Votes: 148 11.0%
  • Yes, Last of Us II

Votes: 550 41.0%
  • Yes, Elden Ring

Votes: 133 9.9%
  • Yes, Death Stranding DLC

Votes: 10 0.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen the trailer where they reveal Keanu chatacter at the end, and I feel the character in cyberpunk is not as cool as Geralt. It honestly kinda dampen my hype a little bit.

Like, I'd rather play as Keanu character

Well you can create your own character in 2077, so the character in that trailer is not who most will play as

That is true. That's why i was talking about "murmurs". Though i do believe those "murmurs" could lead to a .1 or .2 drop on the overal scale. I'm also predicting a backlash due to a downgrade btw, but that is just personal. Those trailers just look to good to be true. I'm happy to be proven wrong though.

I think we agree then. As I definitely think there will be small design and technical things in 2077 that will result in it getting an overall lower score than the sequels of known critical darlings like BotW and TLoU.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Thread title and OP are just sheer fucking hyperbole.

None of these other sure to be highly rated incredible games will TOUCH Cyberpunk?

Fucking really?

Came here to say this. Like honestly, they're not even fucking out yet.
Cyberpunk could end up a disappointment, or any of those other games could simply be better. Why the hell does it always have to be a competition?

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's one of my most anticipated games, but I'm guessing I'll end up enjoying FFVII and The last of us more in the end.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i've only seen the e3 2019 demo and that was meh as fuck tbh. i don't see where the hype is coming from.

combat looks like shit.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well it sounds like you have already made up your mind at least.

I will wait till i have it on my hands.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
The reactions to the 2019 E3 demo were much milder compared to the 2018 one. I try not to get too invested into a hype cycle until the press/influencers get some hands-on time with the game.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I'm playing through The Witcher 3 for the first time right now and it's awesome. Cyberpunk 2077 will probably be really good as well.

But I think all the games in the poll will struggle with people being overhyped and expecting too much.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I don't know man. It was my most anticipated game before E3 2019, but that demo CDPR showed didn't look that great at all, especially the combat. I think TLOU 2 and Botw 2 are definitely going to get higher scores, maybe Elden Ring as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think Cyberpunk 2077 will disappoint a lot of people and will end the year as one of the most contentious big titles of 2020, based on the gameplay excerpts we've seen so far.

I can't wait for it.
It's such a hyped game that it will be completely impossible not to disappoint people.
I just hope I'm not among them :p

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Well you can create your own character in 2077, so the character in that trailer is not who most will play as

I think we agree then. As I definitely think there will be small design and technical things in 2077 that will result in it getting an overall lower score than the sequels of known critical darlings like BotW and TLoU.

as if botw had a high score despite its beyond shitty graphics like seriously. Game didn't even get any backlash for being all over the place technically speaking at release.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
it's not about the look of the character, the female main character design look bad ass imo. but how the character is portrayed in cutscenes. like from the trailer, the main character seemingly a cocky guy getting way over his head, probably got his friend killed, then got betrayed by his employer and got killed himself until Keanu revive him to do something for him.

just a very different vibe from Geralt, who is basically Batman, the cool silent badass type

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
Cyberpunk will be massive, but do not under estimate some of the others in your Poll.

Btw, is Zelda 2 & DS DLC confirmed for next year?

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I hope Cyberpunk delivers, because a lot of people are putting a lot of hope into it and they might be setting themselves for disappointment.

For me personally, Breath of the Wild 2 is the most appealing thing this next year (if it does release this year, of course). If not, The Last of Us II is there, too, and I have DOOM Eternal and Animal Crossing: New Horizons waiting there.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Cyberpunk looks really good but it's not gonna be untouchable.

Last of Us II, Doom Eternal, Final Fantasy VII Remake, and the potential for Breath of the Wild 2 to drop are all huge on my radar, right up there with Cyberpunk. I also think RE fans like myself are going to have a ton to appreciate if RE3 is executed well. I see a lot of folks have knives out for Guilty Gear Strive but I have high hopes, even with the drastic system changes.

Animal Crossing will literally be my life for months.

Cyberpunk deserves attention but it's not gonna be head and shoulders above the other head-turners, IMO.

Jun 2, 2019
Well, i dunno

Gotta say however that is bizarre to see in the pool fucking Death Stranding DLC instead one of the proven juggernauts

animal-crossing-new-horizons_3.jpg

If you're going to do it OP, do it right.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
The Witcher 3 was GOAT but CP2077, being shooter based, have VERY stiff competition.
If anything I am more excited about Botw2 lol.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If people were to re-review it, W3 would easily reach 96-97 scores, specially if you take the two DLCs into consideration. It is also the most awarded game of all time.

Ah, my favorite metric of measuring things - completely baseless hypotheticals that also manage to mean nothing.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
I expect Doom Eternal to be my GOTY next year. All gameplay and no bullshit - What you see is what you get. Zelda is likely to be a great game too if they decide to iterate on the BotW formula.

Cyberpunk does look good, but the question is if CDPR can execute on their promises. The cynic in me keeps telling me that the public demos are scripted and polished to hell and back in a way that will not be indicative of the final product.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Death Stranding dlc? Really?
Right? That probably should have been a general "Yes" answer instead (why I didn't vote in the poll).
We know a lot of things coming out next year but we have no clue what next gen will bring, what will get delayed, and other things that haven't been announced yet.

For all we know Cyberpunk will be an overhyped disaster (not saying it will, but it could happen)

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're probably right. Gameplay doesn't matter for all these websites. I mean, how can Witcher 3 have so much awards when every combat is such a chore to play ?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I agree and I even think BotW 2 is coming next year. That's honestly the only one that could take the crown for me. But it'd have to be a giant improvement on BotW 1.

So unless Cyberpunk is secretly a shitty game I'm pretty sure that's the one.

/edit: oh I didn't think of Elden Ring. Probably wouldn't change my vote, but it's another candidate for sure.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Never ceases to amaze me how GOTY candidates are agreed upon years in advance in gaming. It's embarrassing for the medium.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I could see anything on the poll (besides DS dlc) scoring better in reviews than cyberpunk but I don't think any of them can or will sell more than it. For the simple reason which is that Cyberpunk is the most accessible of these titles, both in platforms available (being multi-platform) and genre.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Maybe wait with the hyperbole until the game is actually out and it's clear that it's really good?

I'm getting tired reading threads where people hype up games like crazy that they haven't even played yet. How many 'Death Stranding will be the game of the generation!!!1111' posts have we seen here before the game came out?

Are we gaining anything by hyping up games to a ridiculous level only to then be inevitably disappointed because the end product can't possibly reach the crazy levels of hype that was built around it?

I wouldn't want to be in CDPRs shoes right now - unless Cyberpunk is basically the second coming of Jesus Christ, people will lose their shit thanks to the insane hype that exists around the game - good luck living up to that.

At this point I'm almost sure that we'll hear the first really critical voices once the first previews are out, people will go nuts if the gunplay isn't as good as Destiny, people will complain if you can't do literally EVERYTHING and you just have to wonder... well, what did you expect?

Last edited:

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Actually I didn't like The Witcher 3, and I'm not sure i will like cyberpunk 2077. I'm just curious if it's more like Deux Ex, in which case I will definitely try it.

Of all of those games mentioned, the only one I'm interested in is The Last Of Us 2, though.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk is no Witcher 3. Its setting is more niche, that might factor into its reception.

I think Elden Ring, BotW 2 and LotU 2 all have a decent chance of being better received.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
Animal Crossing and Silksong are both likely to top Cyberpunk for me. I'll likely really enjoy all three through.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't know about "MORE critical acclaim", but TLOU II will get close for sure.

I don't think BOTW will be released next year, but it too.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3 is a game that has only gotten better with time. When it released 4 years ago, it achieved a respectable 92 metascore. If people were to re-review it, W3 would easily reach 96-97 scores, specially if you take the two DLCs into consideration. It is also the most awarded game of all time.

Cyberpunk 2077 is CD Projekt Red's next big game. The jump in quality between releases that these guys are able to achieve is nothing short of amazing. If W3 is a game that is already considered a GOAT contender by many, then Cyberpunk, given the developer's track record, is destined to be legendary.

Honestly, I don't think any other game can stand a chance. And that's even taking games like Breath of the Wild 2 and Half Life Alyx into consideration. These games are bound to be fucking incredible given their series pedigree, but can anyone honestly say that they will be able to gather as much attention and command discussion as a new IP from the best Western developer in the world?
Lol if W3 was re-reviewed it would score in the low to mid 80s. A game with such a terrible combat system being reviewed so high was one of the gaming crimes of 2015.

As for Cyberpunk, meh, we'll have to see, nothing suggests it's anything special. RDR2 came out last year, no open world game is gonna top that until the next Rockstar game.

Status
Not open for further replies.