• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will there be a game with more critical acclaim than Cyberpunk 2077 released in 2020?

• No

Votes: 170 12.7%
  • Yes, Breath of the Wild

Votes: 256 19.1%
  • Yes, Half Life Alyx

Votes: 75 5.6%
  • Yes, FFVII Remake

Votes: 148 11.0%
  • Yes, Last of Us II

Votes: 550 41.0%
  • Yes, Elden Ring

Votes: 133 9.9%
  • Yes, Death Stranding DLC

Votes: 10 0.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
The Witcher 3 is a game that has only gotten better with time. When it released 4 years ago, it achieved a respectable 92 metascore. If people were to re-review it, W3 would easily reach 96-97 scores, specially if you take the two DLCs into consideration. It is also the most awarded game of all time.

Cyberpunk 2077 is CD Projekt Red's next big game. The jump in quality between releases that these guys are able to achieve is nothing short of amazing. If W3 is a game that is already considered a GOAT contender by many, then Cyberpunk, given the developer's track record, is destined to be legendary.

Honestly, I don't think any other game can stand a chance. And that's even taking games like Breath of the Wild 2 and Half Life Alyx into consideration. These games are bound to be fucking incredible given their series pedigree, but can anyone honestly say that they will be able to gather as much attention and command discussion as a new IP from the best Western developer in the world?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
We'd have to wait until these games are actually released and playable before making any kind of judgment.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Not knocking Cyberpunk but never count out Zelda, especially after 2017.

Last of Us 2 will probably give it a run for its money in the narrative department.

Elden Ring is another likely game of the year candidate. Eh, I don't think Cyberpunk will be untouchable by any means.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What if I think all of those games will rival or outdo it?

Cyberpunk 2077 is my most hyped game but honestly I know many don't share my feelings and even in spite of them, I'm not sure it'll live up to my hopes for it. It's different enough from Witcher 3 that I feel like parts of it could just feel very flaccid, just as Witcher 3's combat soured it for so many.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I actually think Cyberpunk 2077 will disappoint a lot of people and will end the year as one of the most contentious big titles of 2020, based on the gameplay excerpts we've seen so far.

I can't wait for it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How do you know?

I wouldn't call them better than Naughty Dog, and even if they were the best western dev, why is that suddenly better than the best Japanese devs, a.k.a From Soft and Nintendo?

I can easily see Elden Ring, BotW2 or Last of Us 2 turning out better than Cyberpunk. Hyped for it though.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It's not even out, and the developer hasn't exactly set a precedent for first person CRPGs. You can look forward to the game, but don't be setting these ridiculous goalposts for a game that isn't even out. Don't be like the folks who already tagged the game as "Masterpiece" on Steam.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've no choice but to assume that Animal Crossing New Horizons transcends these petty arguments, given its absence in the poll. Really tho. I'll be exploring in Midgar and owing money to a Raccoon in March. Cyberpunk can hold off until all the DLC comes out as far as I'm concerned.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I expect TLoU 2 to be the most highly acclaimed game next year. I don't expect it to be my favorite, though.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Zzzzzz.

Game isn't even out, and there's still Elden Ring, TLOU2, Doom Eternal, FF7R, BOTW2 and more. Next year is stacked as fuck, come on.

Also The Witcher 3 needs mods for its gameplay to be fun.

Oct 28, 2017
screen-shot-2019-06-11-at-9-43-08-am.png

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be very surprised.

Witcher 3 is regarded as a potential game of the generation, and it's gameplay is average at best.

So if Cyberpunk ups the gameplay side of things then yeah, it's no competition.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
My guess is Half Life and Cyberpunk will be in the top 3 for game of the year. The question is what will take the 3rd spot.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk is definitely my most anticipated title by a long, long ways next year.

I'm almost afraid my expectations will be too high! I'll likely temper them closer to release.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually think Cyberpunk 2077 will disappoint a lot of people and will end the year as one of the most contentious big titles of 2020, based on the gameplay excerpts we've seen so far.

I can't wait for it.
You can't wait for the game or people being disappointed? :P

For real though, if they don't nail the combat, a lot of people will be disappointed by default again.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are so concerned about their favorite dev coming out on top next year. Great games are great games.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of wildcards for next year, not to mention we haven't even seen enough of Elden Ring and BotW2 to make a judgement on how they'll stack up.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Critical acclaim? I could see TLoU II and Breath of the Wild 2 having more of that. But Elden Ring will be the actual GotY.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Everything listed on the poll sounds more appealing than Cyberpunk

I don't trust them to get shooting right when they can't even make swordplay fun.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's a good idea to make up your mind about a game six months before it's even out.

scar654

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good on paper but I don't see CD Projekt making a great first person CRPG. I hope I'm wrong.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly just excited for new Hardware next year. I'll play FFVII R and most likely Elden Ring or whatever but I wouldn't say I'm "hyped" for them nor do I expect them to be like super amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.