• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The way I see FPS...

• I enjoyed FF VIII and N64 first person shooters and still do to this day.

Votes: 210 18.4%
  • Anything lower than 25 FPS is hard to swallow.

Votes: 321 28.1%
  • I never got this whole 30 FPS - 60 FPS thingy

Votes: 131 11.5%
  • I expect 60 FPS to be a standard every time a new generation of hardware is announced

Votes: 261 22.8%
  • The difference between 60 FPS and 75/90/120/144 is like night and day

Votes: 247 21.6%
  • The real issue is frame-pacing #teamlinneman

Votes: 413 36.1%

• Total voters

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Frame pacing I never notice at all and many times I dislike 60fps because of how awful it makes animations look.

Stable 30fps, push the graphics and decouple controller input polling from frame refresh and you have the perfect balance imho. What bungie has done for years at 30fps pretty much.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely notice frame rate drops now more than I used to, but I've never found it to be a major detracting force to my enjoyment of a game. I don't think I quite understand the difference between frame rate and frame pacing, though, so i dunno if I care about that :P

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I strive for higher frame rates if I can. But honestly, I can play Wave Rave 64 and Ocarina of Time at 20 FPS, SNES Star Fox at 12-15 FPS, and then Quake III Arena at 144+ FPS right next to each other and not care.

But yeah, good frame pacing and only small frame rate drops don't bother me at all, and I barely notice small frame rate drops, if at all.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I care about video games, not frame rates. Some of the best games of all time have terrible frame rates, and I wouldn't have enjoyed them significantly more just because of more frames.

Sep 14, 2019
I don't mind 30fps but for action games it's obviously not preferable. The few times Astral Chain dipped below 30 was really noticeable.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
I can deal with 30fps or more in rpgs and slow strategy games, but need 60fps for anything with action and a lot of screen movement. 30fps or less is just too slow for anything with action. I can deal with it in the long run, but it's a very noticable difference. Could never play a 30fps multiplayer shooter or tps anymore.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
The past 10-15 years on consoles? I wasn't sensitive to it at all. Obviously really bad chugging was noticeable, but a game @ 30 instead of 60 never really bothered me. Even games that would dip into the 20's didn't really register for me.

But now being on PC with a 144 Hz monitor, I find myself paying attention to it a lot more. For example, comparing something like Destiny 2 on PS4 Pro locked @ 30 FPS to the PC version @ 140 FPS (or even artificially capped at 60 FPS) it's a huge difference. 30 FPS just doesn't feel good.

My FPS sometimes fluctuates on PC down around 100 FPS with certain games, but thankfully I have a Gsync monitor so I don't really notice. And you can always tune down visuals to gain more performance if needed.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A locked 45 or 50 is my first person shooter minimum, locked 30 for third person games. Some games like the Last Guardian forgive because my God, that game.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There isn't really an option for me. I'm aware of it, and know that it makes a difference, but don't really give a shit unless it's really affecting playability, which it almost never does these days (some very recent exceptions say otherwise though).

I really don't understand people who let it determine if they buy a game or not, that's just some plain dumb shit to me.

I care about video games, not frame rates. Some of the best games of all time have terrible frame rates, and I wouldn't have enjoyed them significantly more just because of more frames.
Exactly.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took that first choice up there.

I will notice it, I will criticize it, but it'll rarely deter the fun I'm having, unless it's downright attrocious.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
I don't want to play FPS or racing games at anything lower than 60.
A stable 30 without drops or frame pacing issues is fine in most games for me though.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was able to play City of Heroes on a computer that made it run like a literal slideshow at times.

Safe to say I'm not framerate sensitive.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I can definitely tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Or 60fps and 90fps.

Admittedly, I have much more difficulty detecting minor drops - say from 60fps to 55fps. In those cases I might sense something was off but I likely would not be consciously aware of a frame rate drop.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory point of comparison
People who don't notice Frame pacing issues or shitty framerates are like people who don't "see" social injustice: just because your blind ass can't see it, doesn't mean it ain't there.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
If a game has a locked 30fps I legitimately can't tell you what it is without a side by side comparison. In between 30 and 60 the weird frame pacing can be noticeable to me. Below 30 I can tell its not running at 30.

I notice screen tearing much more than FPS issues though.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I platinum'd Bloodborne and I still have no idea what framepacing looks like. I get the gist of what it is, but I don't see it. I think it's best that I keep it that way.

I experienced the worst framerates the N64 had to offer, any FPS above complete shit is fine for me. I can easily tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, and prefer 60fps, but it's not even close to a dealbreaker if it isn't.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Im usually not a PC snob, but after playing Destiny 2 then trying it on Xbox, I could barely play it. Not even gonna bother with it there.

I prefer to play games on console so hopefully we will see a lot more 60fps games next gen. There are already a lot this gen.

Ill play 30 or 60, but if the option is available its 60.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Well paced 30fps is absolutely acceptable to me and everything above is a bonus, but then again I played and still occasionally play N64 games, I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker and Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3DS despite the 20FPS lock, and I played through Bloodborne 4 times despite the frame pacing issues.

I can definitely say that sub 30FPS framerates bother me and I definitely notice 30FPS with framepacing issues or sub 30FPS with framepacing issues, but then again I can say even then, it doesn't make something unplayable to me. Bothers me a bit, yeah, but doesn't ruin games.

Still, if I could choose, at the minimum I would want well paced 30FPS.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer at least 60 on everything, but I can deal with 30 as long as it's locked. Variable or low frame rates suck.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm suuuper sensitive to framerate, where I can pin-point the difference between 60/120+ easy, while I have a friend that insists that he can't feel the difference between 30 and 60, and he plays on PC.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
For the people claiming they can't see a difference between 30/60, are you literally saying the smoothness and motion clarity looks identical to you when you quickly pan the camera in a 3D game?

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Im ok with some games being 30fps, but i hate stutters or framedrops lower than 30.
If i dont reach 60, id rather play at 30, that having 30-60 uncapped.
Next Gen should be always 60 at minimum.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
30fps can be acceptable for some genres if its a solid 30 and the frame pacing isn't bad.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I notice frame rate dips and frame pacing issues, but unless it actually begins to fuck with my inputs, it doesn't bother me that much. I was playing Drakangard 3 the other day and that game would have a lot of posters here cry of eyes bleeding and migraine inducing. Obviously I would prefer solid 60 on consoles with proper frametiming, but you gotta make do with what you have.

People who don't notice Frame pacing issues or shitty framerates are like people who don't "see" social injustice: just because your blind ass can't see it, doesn't mean it ain't there.
Woof. Prime Era. Maybe don't compare real life suffering to hiccups in sophisticated toys.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I can play games at 30 but I pretty much always want it to be 60 fps unless it's just not possible for one reason or another.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Experiencing 144+ FPS on a g-sync monitor is cursed knowledge.

Now even 60 fps feels like a compromise.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
While I definitely notice low framerates it doesn't bother me that much if it's not a fast paced game or consistently in the single digits. Higher the better of course & on PC I always prioritize high framerate over graphics. slight tangent but I feel people underscore how great games look with a higher framerate.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Experiencing 144+ FPS on a g-sync monitor is cursed knowledge.

Now even 60 fps feels like a compromise.

Yep. After getting a 144 Hz G-Sync monitor, even 60 FPS on a regular monitor feels terrible. I literally played various games for 5 hours straight after hooking up my 144 hz G-sync monitor - except I wasn't actually playing but was instead just walking and moving around while my jaw was on the floor.

There is no going back.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
More than anything else it's screen tearing that bothers me the most. I'll take a locked 30 FPS over screen tearing any day. I'm currently playing the surge 2 and the screen tearing in its performance mode which targets 60 FPS might just be the worst I have ever seen. It's egregious. Ugh.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Depends on the game
After playing Siekero on my PC at 60fps and then going to the ps4 version was like night and day. Especially for a game that's based on timing. I just can't get into the ps4 version.

Most of the time it doesn't bother me as long as it's consistent.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Id really much rather play at 60, but if theres no other choice its not like I wont play the game. Astral Chain was a fucking blast despite being 30.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I played Fallout3 on a pentium 4 with a low end AMD card at 10-15 FPS near release so i think i can stomach anything.

ArcaneStar_

Sep 14, 2018
the real thing that bothers me is when the framerate is super inconsistent (like games that "aim" for 60 but never really get there consistently and keeps fluctuating between mid 30s and mid 50s or something, changing all the time) or there are way too many frame pacing issues. If a game can be 99% of the time stable and have a locked framerate, even if it is "just" 30fps, I'm fine with it. I just need that stability

In any case, I got the platinum trophy in Sekiro and Bloodborne so in the end it doesn't really bother me THAT much to be honest

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
30 fps is alright until you play some 60 fps games then try to go back to the 30 fps game.

60 fps needs to become the standard at least for multiplayer games.