• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 19, 2018
I lol'ed at the "shoving real hard" part. That stuck out in mind during my watch of the film. xD

Also, that American healthcare system dig. Funny cuz it's true.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
finally saw it and it was just so... there. brass tacks it was the best of the non T2 sequels but i walked away from it so ambivalent

few months from now i don't think i'll even remember it

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
So this movie IS good?
I really liked it, but the best comparison I can draw is that it's the Force Awakens of the Terminator franchise. How much you like it is going to depend on how okay you are with "Lets do what the old movies did, but here and now and with more wokeness". And I do not mean that entirely disparagingly, I think on some level it's good that Hollywood is recreating beloved stories with representation that wasn't there before, but if your gonna make a Terminator version of TFA, you need to then atleast follow it up with the Terminator version of The Last Jedi for innovation purposes.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
theyre-grrreat-vs-dey-aiiiiiight-flakes-16352539.png

Dark Fate is the one on the right

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i really like this movie. i thought it was gonna be kinda bad like genesys but i enjoyed all of it.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was bored. There was no one memorable action scene for me, no sense of suspense or imminent danger.

Which is a bummer because I really liked the characters.

Like someone said already, I will forget everything about this in a few months.
I think the action in this film, particularly the factory fight scene (which I immediately rewound and watched 2 more times when I rented this on VOD), is the best action since T2, easily. Mostly because it rides on the intensity and power of Mackenzie Davis, who is a *powerhouse* in this movie.

I watched it this past week. It's very flawed. The writing is, at times, cringey, and Linda Hamilton unfortunately gets some clunkers. There are some really contrived plot developments that make you scratch your head and keep the film from being great.

Having said that, like I said, it's *easily* better than any of the post T2 sequels and introduces some fun, if not "out there", ideas.
-I don't know why the John Connor twist was so reviled. It reminded me of one of my favorite aspects of T3, actually: that a certain fate was inevitable, inescapable, or at least unable to be foreseen by humanity. It makes complete sense that Skynet would send multiple Terminators back at multiple points in time as a failsafe. It's heartbreaking, but fits completely with the world that T1/T2 established. I'm not surprised it was Cameron's idea, TBH.
-Having a Mexican lead/hero, set against the backdrop of immigration, sanctuaries, etc. was a great way to evolve the story. I teared up when they realized that she "is" John. Really, a fantastic, modern progression of a story that has been retold over and over again.
-I love Carl. Maybe it seems silly in context of the Terminator series, but it's a fascinating bit of sci-fi to wonder what a sentient(?) machine would do after it performs its mission.
-Mackenzie Davis--fucking wow. I'm almost okay with this movie bombing, because I don't think there would be any way to continue the story without her. She gave this movie the energy it needed and really made the action scenes feel important and *real*. She had a physicality that perfectly hit all the notes it needed to.

The movie has lots of issues. Aside from those I mentioned, the CG is occasionally pretty dodgy, Diego Luna is just fine as a boring assassin Rev whatever terminator, etc. But, I still really enjoyed it.