• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
With the near instantaneous input lag, extremely high refresh rate, no ghosting/motion blur issues, and the scan lines that make old school games look oh so good. Do you think if a company released a CRT today that it could sell enough to be profitable?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
After seeing the DF videos a bit back... still no - nobody got room for those things.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
"To be profitable" is where I'd say no, but there's no doubt alot of people who would still get one. My girlfriend would want one for sure with how much she loves emulating retro games.

Zonnes

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 26, 2019
A modern CTR makes no sense to be honest, that technology has been dead foe two decades

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure. It would be expensive since it would be targeting a niche, but it could do decent numbers. Many would pay premium price to get a brand new CRT for retro games. I would get one at the very least.

glhaynes

Apr 9, 2019
Not at the moment - there are way too many CRTs still easily available, and the audience for them is already generally used to finding their stuff in retro stores / eBay / Craigslist / on the side of the road. Give it 20 years.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in an extremely niche case? yes. but because of the niche-ness, they'd be stupidly expensive, and that's before you get into shipping costs. because no one will hold these in their stores

otherwise, fuck no. because no one will hold these in their stores

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
in an extremely niche case? yes. but because of the niche-ness, they'd be stupidly expensive, and that's before you get into shipping costs. because no one will hold these in their stores

otherwise, fuck no. because no one will hold these in their stores

Well we live in the age of online marketing anyway. No need to take up valuable store shelf space just warehouse.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
LG released this absolute beauty in 2010 but only in Korea. No idea how well it sold but I'd kill for one.

images

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Please. Just use FOMO and hype. In this age of social media and targeted ads, you can always sway people.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
The failure to bring SED display technology to market is the greatest tech tragedy of the modern age.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
After seeing the DF videos a bit back... still no - nobody got room for those things.

room or probably a stand that holds it anymore lol. When everything went to LCD the amount of support most desks now do is like 40 pounds.......which is probably less than what a big CRT weighs.....those things were heavy AF

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, i remember reading about slim CRT development, and if they manged that for a reasonable price it would sell

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I hope not. I've have lost years of my life moving those heavy Bastards around.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Sure it would - if it didn't weight a ton. Id imagine LCD's are already thin enough for 99% of people. If a variant of CRT was released and was a lil thicker but still retained the benefits of bigger (older) CRT's, im sure alot of people would be quite ok with that.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Not a chance.

We had 36" Sony Wega, and even at that (now tiny) size the goddamn thing weighed 250 pounds.

I also do not miss the eyestrain I had from using CRT monitors back in the day.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I don't think it can. The market is far too small now for these things. Its not that the current tv's and monitors are better or worse, its just that they more than meet the needs of 99% of the population and they take up a lot less space and are lighter.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Why settle for a CRT monitor when you could just grab a bat and go batshit crazy on the streets against unsuspecting innocent people? Even less input lag than CRT monitors.

Oct 28, 2017
I just picked up a 34 inch Sony triniton from Craigslist. Circa 2004 ish.
I think it's near 200lbs. I had to leave it on the floor until I had enough people over to lift it.
it's unreal how heavy these things were.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
SED was probably the most promising avenue for this. It was basically a pixel array where each pixel was its own CRT.

Wow that first paragraph
SEDs combine the advantages of CRTs, namely their high contrast ratios, wide viewing angles and very fast response times, with the packaging advantages of LCD and other flat panel displays. They also use much less power than an LCD television of the same size.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Sure, someone could make a profit off a niche market. They would be expensive, but there may be people willing to pay the premium.