• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Wait I thought the IP was owned by Gearbox now?
It is.. why do you ask? if you are thinking why BBI is making it. Black Bird interactive has some of the original developers (especially Rob Cunningham who was the art director on homeworld 1 and 2 and is now the creative vision holder of the IP). They also did Homeworld Deserts of Kharak

Last edited:

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
True. It just seems disingenuous when the devs are talking about transparency with fans, all while not explicitly indicating which storefront their $50+ key is going to activate on. I'm sure backers would want to know, especially given the Gearbox connection. If it's going to be EGS, then just come out and say it, unless they feel like it's going to hurt their funding, at which point it becomes even more questionable.

the game isn't coming out until 2022, it would be ridiculous to start already making promises

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Figuring this will be EGS, but hoping like everything else it will be on better services after a year - I can easily wait.

Regardsless - wooooooooooooop for Homeworld!

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Wait I thought the IP was owned by Gearbox now?

It is - but BBI are the studio that have some of the original devs, and made Deserts of Kharak

DoK was going to be a spiritual successor after BBI failed to buy the IP. But then they agreed to make Shipbreakers and actual Homeworld game, and that;s how that relationship started

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Please support us on Fig before we get a check from EGS. lmao filthy
9ONLKr0.jpg

Which, absolutely does not preclude the obvious :P

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mmmm never played these but could be interes-........wait whats that smell?
I smell gearbox and a large sack of money..........this can only mean one thing.
Hello Tim......we meet again.......................

Yeah cautiously watching but bracing for this game to be "saved".

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
It is.. why do you ask? if you are thinking why BBI is making it. Black Bird interactive has some of the original developers (especially Chris Cunningham who was the concept artist on homeworld 1 and 2 and is now the creative vision holder of the IP). They also did Homeworld Deserts of Kharak

Oh ok. The devs definitely have pedigree, I see.

It just seems weird to me that Gearbox who seem well off enough to fund the whole project themselves to resort to crowd funding.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Oh ok. The devs definitely have pedigree, I see.

It just seems weird to me that Gearbox who seem well off enough to fund the whole project themselves to resort to crowd funding.

it most likely is to gauge interest in order to determine the scope of the budget and invite fans to be part of the production process (for good and bad)

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
I like Homeworld but there's no way I'm donating money to make a game they already have a publisher for. 'Investing', yeah right.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Are you fucking serious? Gearbox who is about to make shitload of money from Borderlands 3 is asking for money? Fuck you Randy.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see....

-They don't ACTUALLY need the money
-"Too early" to say which playforms
-Gearbox Publishing

Last edited:

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
the game isn't coming out until 2022, it would be ridiculous to start already making promises

I think it'd be hard for anyone to predict the state of the digital distribution market 3 years for now.

I don't think it'd be ridiculous at all when people are putting their money ($50+) on the line. I would hope Steam is still around by then, and if they're committed to EGS, then I would also hope that EGS is also around by then. I guess Gearbox could launch their own launcher in between now and 2022, but I'm skeptical.

TheVoidDragon

Jan 16, 2018
I'm glad that a new Homeworld game is being made as its an awesome series, but at the same time...this really doesn't feel right to me at all. The game has already been funded by Gearbox yet they're doing a crowdfunding campaign on the platform that's partly owned by Randy, taking taking pre-orders for a game that has so little development all they can say is "It'll be better!" with some (very nice) concept art, not even a basic story hinted at beyond what we already knew from the end of Homeworld 2, and will release maybe possibly 3+ years from now? While claiming that's a good thing for the fans? That's just utterly absurd and a bit scummy to me.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I like the first and second games, so I hope this one is good. Not many Homeworld style games out there.

I ain't going to put money down on something that has a very good chance of going EGS timed exclusive though.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
If it's too soon to say because who knows what stores will even be in 2 years... Just commit to not being exclusive to one. That seems easy.

TheVoidDragon

Jan 16, 2018
I can understand not revealing too much of the story so early on incase it changes, but the utter lack of anything even hinted at to do with the actual gameplay combined with no info about the story beyond what we already know just makes the whole thing seem more disingenous to me.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised they are committing to the PC because who even knows if PCs will be around in two or three years.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Fig is still around? I backed pyschonauts 2 but after Ms bought double fine thought that was it for them

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it'd be ridiculous at all when people are putting their money ($50+) on the line. I would hope Steam is still around by then, and if they're committed to EGS, then I would also hope that EGS is also around by then. I guess Gearbox could launch their own launcher in between now and 2022, but I'm skeptical.
I don't think it's ridiculous for people to want to know what they're paying for (I didn't use the word ridiculous in the first place, the other guy did). I do think that with as much turmoil as we're seeing from EGS's shouldering into the digital distribution market right now, given that Fortnite's continued dominance is not at all guaranteed, and that we have no idea what Valve's response to this is ultimately is going to be, it would be foolish for any developer to make a promise right now about what platform their game will appear on three years from now. I also think it would be foolish for any potential customer to believe them. You can't even believe a developer that says where their game is going to launch 6 months before it comes out.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's ridiculous for people to want to know what they're paying for (I didn't use the word ridiculous in the first place, the other guy did). I do think that with as much turmoil as we're seeing from EGS's shouldering into the digital distribution market right now, given that Fortnite's continued dominance is not at all guaranteed, and that we have no idea what Valve's response to this is ultimately is going to be, it would be foolish for any developer to make a promise right now about what platform their game will appear on three years from now. I also think it would be foolish for any potential customer to believe them. You can't even believe a developer that says where their game is going to launch 6 months before it comes out.

Sure, but none of that instills any faith me in as a potential backer.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
^^ Those look like wipeouts to me.

This is backed by a publisher and doesn't need funding. You're literally just giving your money to Gearbox. The tier that gets you the game is $50, which is not much of a discount, if it will even be one at all. It is not a pre-order. The game's tentative release date is Q4 2022. Before the more realistic release date - following the usual delays - of 2023-2024, it might get canceled or released exclusively on EGS or some other platform yet to exist like Weyland-Flurgapow. If you want to support the game/genre/idea, buying it when it's out will accomplish the exact same thing. The Collector's Edition includes zero physical items, and the digital items that will be included are TBD. You literally don't know what you're paying for.

For what reason would you back this and accept the associated risks instead of buying the game when it's out? Or the potential Collector's Edition consisting of an actual box with actual physical stuff in it? I truly don't get it.

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
So GearBox published and no guarantee on store fronts, ok what a dumb crowd funding campaign even though I love seeing Homeworld 3. This is crowdfunding for suckers and nothing but PR.

I would invest in this for a return on the inevitable epic games store exclusive deal, but I can make more money in the stock market and not have it tied up for years here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
We know Steam will be around but we can't name any storefronts because we're not sure who will be stepping up to offer exclusivity deals in 2022.

"Crowdfunding" a fully funded, publisher owned IP is some major bullshit btw.

This is fully exploiting fan nostalgia for maximum gains.

Nov 8, 2017
Fig is still around? I backed pyschonauts 2 but after Ms bought double fine thought that was it for them

Three of the six members on the advisory board for Fig are the heads of companies Microsoft acquired (Tim Schafer @ Doublefine, Feargus Urquhart @ Obsidian, Brian Fargo @ InXile). It's still operational but I don't expect it to have much life left in it.

The other 3 people are the head of Harmonix, Randy Pitchford, and an indie/mobile developer guy.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Three of the six members on the advisory board for Fig are the heads of companies Microsoft acquired (Tim Schafer @ Doublefine, Feargus Urquhart @ Obsidian, Brian Fargo @ InXile). It's still operational but I don't expect it to have much life left in it.

The other 3 people are the head of Harmonix, Randy Pitchford, and an indie/mobile developer guy.
Did not know that thanks. Makes sense I guess that it ended up on fig

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Would happily join in the crowdfunding campaign if there was a guarantee that it won't be epic store exclusive.

But it will be, and screw them for not admitting it on the crowdfunding page.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Let me guess.

Take money from consumers via Fig, and then take money for exclusivity via EGS?

Smart. Looking forward to it.
I mean... Fig is an investor platform. While, yes, it's crowdfunding, this is actually your best chance of getting paid back on Fig as an investor. If they're clear about WHAT they're crowdfunding, then I could see this being fine. Lots of games crowdfund for a foundation, but seek out a publisher to actually get the millions they need to do the game.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
13 crazy people have paid $1000 for a game coming out in 3 years.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Thing to bear in mind with the "Will it go exclusive on EGS" line:

Homeworld: Emergence is exclusive to GOG, and I believe GOG did quite a bit in helping all the games be released in a state where they could run on modern systems.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
OH i guess they are following in the footsteps of Shenmue.

Use a kick-starter (or fig) to 'gauge interest while already having full funding.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally in for more rad space battles. Also I have almost no reason to expect this will actually be good, but hey let's go! Deserts of Kharak was... fine?

Ion Cannon Frigates are the greatest unit an RTS has ever had, so bring that shit back! BEAMS.