• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Let me guess.

Take money from consumers via Fig, and then take money for exclusivity via EGS?

Smart. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Man, BBI is amazing and I looooove homeworld, I am really hyped for this!

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
You can really hear that they got Paul Ruskay on board with that amazing music

I didn't believe it, but Deserts of Kharak had god-tier music even after 15 years since Ruskay composed for Homeworld 2.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's also published by Gearbox lol
6HgDQ4v.gif

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Also, wasn't Fig not doing so well? I recall Eurogamer or Venturebeat saying they had a whole lot of debt last year.

*From this interview with Brian Fargo
Because I was looking at some numbers for Fig and it doesn't look - it looks like there's debt racking up. The future doesn't look that rosy, but I don't know if I'm seeing the whole picture?

Brian Fargo:
I'm not involved in the management, I'm not on the board, I've never seen a financial statement of that company. I'm just an adviser as it relates to games; I sit there looking at product. Often people have misconstrued how involved either me or Feargus [Urquhart, Obsidian CEO] are in the inner-workings of that organisation.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
What's with the fear mongering around fig, though? They are completely legit and have been financing tons of great games since their inception.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
little snippet, this trailer is pretty much based on a piece of concept art from Homeworld 2

Last edited:

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
What's with the fear mongering around fig, though? They are completely legit and have been financing tons of great games since their inception.

I have no truck with Fig, but the combination of crowdfunding and already having a big publisher on board -- and that publisher being Gearbox -- warrants a bit of an eyebrow raise.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BBI delivered with Deserts of Kharak for sure and lots of amazing people from the old Relic team works there. I would say taht yes, you can most definitely trust them
The game will probably be amazing, It's not the game I would be worried about, it's everything surrounding it.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck yes. Much hype.

Hopefully they use RTX Shadows and Reflections for this. Would be a great implementation opportunity.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Deserts of Kharak was done by the same studio under Gearbox. That's why I trust the same studio with Homeworld 3 I guess.

Great news, can't wait. Will not fund it on Fig though. Big company doing crowd-funding, ehhhhh.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Deserts of Kharak was done by the same studio under Gearbox. That's why I trust the same studio with Homeworld 3 I guess.

Great news, can't wait. Will not fund it on Fig though. Big company doing crowd-funding, ehhhhh.

it's not going to come out if it's not funded on Fig though. the crowdfunding campaign is probably just used to gauge the interest and lessen the financial risks associated with greenlighting a RTS in 2019

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
The Fig goal is just $1, so I guess they're basically saying that the crowdfunding isn't really gonna be key to the project? In any case, this is really exciting! Blackbird did an amazing job with Deserts of Kharak. If anyone's interested, I actually came across these fantastic videos on just what it is that made - makes - Homeworld so special a few days ago:

(I know they're long, but they really are worth the time if you're even vaguely interested, I promise.)

Watching them really made me wish for a new Homeworld, so this is great timing.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
it's not going to come out if it's not funded on Fig though. the crowdfunding campaign is probably just used to gauge the interest and lessen the financial risks associated with greenlighting a RTS in 2019

The campaign has a funding goal of....

$1

It's already funded! Hurray!

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be near some record for longest time between sequels huh?

I bought my first graphics card to play Homeworld. I'll def want to play this one.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

They are saying so very clearly in the campaign themselves, yeah

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but a big publisher resorting to crowdfunding? The release date is 2022, so you'll be handing out your money to Gearbox 3 years in advance!