• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Good to know the Tories have their finger on the pulse of what it means to be a homeless family in London /s.
Just dig out that spare five grand you were holding onto while your family was in temporary accommodation and apply for a part-mortgage. I'm sure the banks will be falling over themselves to help.

In an interview with Inside Housing, Shaun Bailey defended his plans to use housing budgets to build a higher proportion of shared ownership homes – where residents buy a share and rent the remainder – than Sadiq Khan.

Mr Bailey has promised to deliver 100,000 affordable homes with his £4bn housing budget if he wins the election in April, with a large proportion of them shared ownership.

He hopes buyers will be able to purchase a share for as little as £100,000, meaning a mortgage could be available for a deposit of £5,000.
But according to the most recent figures, London has 62,670 households in temporary accommodation, including 44,190 with children – more than double the figures in the rest of the country combined.

Asked how his housing plans would help these families, Mr Bailey said: "A large number of those 62,000 people you've identified would not be eligible for what he's [Mr Khan] saying and would be eligible for what I'm saying."

Asked how these families would produce a £5,000 deposit and secure a mortgage, he said: "I don't think the £5,000 will [be a problem]. The mortgage application thing might be a bit tougher… They could save for it, yeah."

www.insidehousing.co.uk

Homeless families ‘could save for mortgage deposits’, says Conservative candidate for London mayor

A trusted source of up-to-date news for social housing professionals – the only place to get comprehensive coverage of all the big topics.

OP
OP
Redcrayon

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's not the first time he's said complete and utter bullshit.
www.theguardian.com

Shaun Bailey’s offensive comments make him unfit to be London mayor | Kimberly McIntosh

The Tory candidate should not be in charge of such a diverse city, says Kimberly McIntosh of Race on the Agenda
But he has defended his comments, claiming that we will never "tackle the problems facing some of our poorest communities if we only listen to career politicians" – without a whimper of admission that he is himself a career politician
Ah yes, that man running for London mayor again, who's been part of the Tory party for a decade, stood in two previous local elections and is their go-to guy on youth issues. Definitely not a career politician.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
People with well paid jobs can't afford to buy in London and much of the south.
Even if you save the deposit you still need the income.

Shared ownership is often a bit of a trap too, it's certainly not suitable for everyone.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
fuck-the-tories.jpg

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I continue to think that Shaun Bailey's candidacy was some kind of gambling stunt to throw the election by CCHQ.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think given the quality of their candidate that the Tories have given up on London but I do see a lot of anti-Sadiq adverts and misinformation

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty certain the Tories make sure you have these sort of beliefs before they even let you in the party.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Shared Ownership is some bullshit.

The mortgage plus the cost of rent makes it totally an option for the middle classes.
If you're working class it's a horrible trap.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
It seems like you can be really successful as a Tory as long as you:

- Don't publicly say something that makes you sound like a psychopath.
- Deflect any criticism to talk about how immigrants are destroying the country.