• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why?
He's just evil Superman and they've been doing evil Superman stories for like 35 years now

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Boys is really a spectacular show. It has so many opportunities to fuck up or drop the ball and it remains excellent, at least to where the show currently stands.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Could he do it though? Or was that the issue.

He kinda fucked up when lasering the terrorists and destroyed the cockpit's controls after the terrorist shot the pilot. I can only assume he was going to bust in, fuck the bad guys up, and let the pilots take the plane down safely. Anything past that was too much effort and he just wasn't going to try anything else.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
NRWEcu1.gif

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
The episode from that pic you posted really freaked me the eff out when it ended. All those people, thinking their hero was going to save them......and he ran because it was too hard.

Like for real when Maeve told him to lift the plane from underneath and his response was "how, there's no ground"........my mind was blown. I never considered that classic Superman feat would actually be something that was improbable for another superhero with similar powers.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS I CANNOT UNSEE.
Of course now we know he can move fast enough to save both a man and a baby after an explosion has already started right in front of him.

He just didn't want to save those people. He's lazy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why?
He's just evil Superman and they've been doing evil Superman stories for like 35 years now

He really...isn't, though. Like he has Superman's POWERSET but he's nothing like Superman the person. I think this is one of the things that always alarms me about how people react to Supes. Superman is just a codename Clark Kent started using, but Clark Kent is the person doing all the heroic things.

But Homelander? Who the fuck is Homelander? He doesn't even know. He's a twisted-up ball of contradictory ideas wrapped up in faux jingoism and marketing. He's a bunch of powers with no soul to guide them.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
The one thing about I now hate about Anthony Starr is that he can't be reverse flash. He would make a great Eobard.

But he makes a great great villain.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Of course now we know he can move fast enough to save both a man and a baby after an explosion has already started right in front of him.

Oh right, I was actually surprised he did that. Didn't think he'd bother with the baby.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
still not sure if he let em die due to future plans for Vought or if he genuinely couldn't.

My impression from watching the shows available so far is that what was unacceptable to Homelander was people finding out he failed. So rather than making an attempt he just bailed on the situation so it was like he was never there. His public perception is everything to him.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
Why would the ground matter for someone who can fly?
In order to lift something or change it's direction you need to be able to push against something else.doesn't matter how strong he is if he becomes stationary with nothing to back him he will just be pushing against a plane (with his super strength) while it moves him forward.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want to restore your faith in Superman, then either read "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way?" Or watch the animated adaptation "Superman Vs. The Elite". It's an excellent example of how Superman himself would likely respond to someone like Homelander, and frankly it is one of the best Superman stories ever.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Yea S2 made it clear he was definitely fast enough to have saved all of them. Too much work though. Homie is lazy.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
What is moving him forward when he flies? He can fly through the air at unfathomable speeds -- I'd assume he could use that force to offset the plane.
Based on what he said we can assume that he'd either get pushed by the plane, or go through it. the physics of one man sized thing supporting or controlling a crashing plane in flight are a pretty big stretch.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Homelander is an incredibly character in the show, I haven't read the comics but he's truly top tier.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
What is moving him forward when he flies? He can fly through the air at unfathomable speeds -- I'd assume he could use that force to offset the plane.
He mentioned that in the scene in that if he used force on the airplane, he would just punch a hole through the hull. He can't disperse the force over a large enough area to not damage the structural integrity of the airplane.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
In order to lift something or change it's direction you need to be able to push against something else.doesn't matter how strong he is if he becomes stationary with nothing to back him he will just be pushing against a plane (with his super strength) while it moves him forward.
actually he can just add his momentum to the already moving object and alter it's course. no ground necessary.

they really overthought this one during their Superman vs Batman discussions. Seems like they needed the dilemma more than the dilemma existing in reality.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
negative

i actually really need to dive into watchmen

Brightburn is interesting because it's a child version of Superman discovering his powers at middle school age. It's like if Homelander wasn't raised in a lab and some ordinary couple was trying to raise him and he was like 12 or 13 with his full powers. It's a good movie to see at least once.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the things that I find interesting about Superman. I love "young Superman" stories, where he's out there fighting corrupt politicians and champion of the people stuff, but there's something about an older, more conservative Superman that appeals to me. He's not a cop, he's a fireman. He doesn't solve problems, he solves crises. And that's an important distinction. Because the minute Superman becomes an active force instead of a passive one, the whole world changes.

There's a few books that play up that dynamic with Wonder Woman, because I think the opposite is sort of her ethos - we have an obligation to use our power for active good. Like, in New Frontier, in Priest's Justice League run, that's a point of contention for them. And it's one of the reasons Superman can come off a little limp, because he feels a responsibility to stay on the other side of that line.

(Incidentally, that's where the Superman/Clark Kent dynamic is most important - he DOES feel empowered to fight for change, just as a human being, not as a super-god.)

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Based on what he said we can assume that he'd either get pushed by the plane, or go through it. the physics of one man sized thing supporting or controlling a crashing plane in flight are a pretty big stretch.

Yeah, that's the impression I got. In the real world no part of that plane has materials strong enough for a human size contact area to deliver enough force to shift the whole plane without shearing. It would just have broken up in mid air if he tried it.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
ive never really considered this until starting The Boys lol
Yup. That's why Homelander is so effective.

Superman was taught compassion, love, family and the inherent worth and dignity of all living creatures. What would happen if he were raised differently?

Hell, what would happen if he weren't raised at all? If he were treated as an experiment, as an object or a method of success for others? If he took commands from a corporation from childhood and onward, his only parental figures being managers and bosses that would leave him. If he never learned the value of life, only the value of a dollar and a successful marketing campaign? The value of wearing a toothy grin in public and working over politicians to get what you want?

Homelander is the most terrifying character in television. I get anxiety every time he's on screen.

This probably the same logic by which I find the Injustice comics and video game storyline so compelling. Watching Superman lose faith in humanity and turn into an angry tyrant is fascinating.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Don't read the source material.
I second this.

Amazon are mining gold from kind of a turd here.

The Boys comic has some good ideas and was interesting but its caked with so much dumb gross out humor and juvenile sex jokes for the hell of it that I just would recommend most people stick with the show.

The show makes good on the concept in a way Garth Ennis was too distracted tapping into his inner 14 year old edgelord to.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The physics subreddit already gave a good answer about Homelander and the airplane.
His concern was the point of contact between him and the plane. With an area of the human body, pressing upwards at thousands of pounds on the underside of the plane's aluminum skin, would likely warp or crush it inward.
And with such a small point of contact, control would be rendered difficult. Being narcissistic, this was enough reason not to even try.
https://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/flight/modern/airplanes2.htm
Looks as though you would need hundreds of tons of upward pressure to make up for the lack of lift, likely even if it was gliding.
The Aluminium skin of an airplane is extremely thin, he would likely punch immediately through it the moment he applied a portion of upward thrust needed to lift the plane..
http://www.americanmachinetools.com/tonnage_punch_hole.htm
Pressure is the thing you care about here. That's force over area. The force required to slow the plane in the right amount of time is rather high, and a hand sized spot may struggle. It might puncture or otherwise fail. This depends largely on the time needed, since a small amount of force over a long period of time would eventually get you there. Using tools to hook multiple points, like tow lines, is also a maybe if you can find things strong enough.
The other half depends entirely on how both flight and super strength work, which we don't know.

Remember that Superman has a dedicated superpower that allows him to bullshit this.
superman.fandom.com

Tactile Telekinesis

Tactile Telekinesis, or T.K., is a superpower in a few Kryptonians, especially in Superboy. He is able to telekinetically manipulate any object he touches. In Superboy's early life, his Kryptonian powers hadn't yet asserted themselves, but he was able to simulate many of them with his T.K. He...

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yeah but if his body wants to fly up wouldn't that do.....something.

HL doesn't seem like the type of guy who even attempted to try this before.

I would love to see a conflicted homelander doing a good deed by mistake.

obviously Maeve thought he could do it.

Chadtwo

Oct 29, 2017
Just started watching this show and love it because you know this is exactly how it would pan out in real life if superheroes existed: a bunch of militarized corporatized pieces of shit

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
With the plane, Homelander probably couldn't lift it because of the aforementioned issues with breaking the plane. However, whether he could or couldn't do it isn't really the point. He didn't want to do it. He might not even know if he could really do it, he was just saying whatever he needed to get out of the situation without doing anything. He didn't care about saving the passengers at all, he just wanted to kill a few terrorists and have the pilots land the plane. Anything more than that is too much effort.

Jan 3, 2018
actually he can just add his momentum to the already moving object and alter it's course. no ground necessary.

they really overthought this one during their Superman vs Batman discussions. Seems like they needed the dilemma more than the dilemma existing in reality.

But how could he slow it down? It can't land at full speed.