• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Purchasing a median-priced home in the U.S. is a financial stretch for Americans in the majority of markets despite slowing growth in real estate prices, low mortgage rates and rising wages.

The U.S. Home Affordability Report, released Wednesday by ATTOM Data Solutions, found that median selling prices were too high for average wage earners in three-fourths of the nation's real estate markets during the second quarter of 2019.

At the same time, affordability in four of five markets is starting to improve compared with last year. But the gap between home-price appreciation and wage growth remains wide, as it has for years.

This is rather big since middle-class Americans have depended on homes to build their wealth.

On the flip side, maybe there will be a bigger focus on diversifying and purchasing more performing assets, angel investing, micro-investing, creating businesses, and so on. I've always felt the traditional American Dream a bit too narrow. And it puts way too much of your money in one asset.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Slow wage growth, student loan debt, general reticence post-2008?

This certainly dovetails with my own anecdotal experiences.
On the flip side, maybe there will be a bigger focus on diversifying and purchasing more performing assets, angel investing, micro-investing, creating businesses, and so on. I've always felt the traditional American Dream a bit too narrow. And it puts way too much of your money in one asset.
That's certainly an idea but seems very far-fetched. The article is primarily addressing individuals buying homes to own a home, not buying homes as an investment property. The motivations for purchasing a home vs. micro-investing or even starting a small business are worlds apart.

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever they decide, I hope they don't lower prices and increase wages because that would just be stupid and not solve anything.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Slow wage growth, student loan debt, general reticence post-2008?

This certainly dovetails with my own anecdotal experiences.

That's certainly an idea but seems very far-fetched. The article is primarily addressing individuals buying homes to own a home, not buying homes as an investment property. The motivations for purchasing a home vs. micro-investing or even starting a small business are worlds apart.
I agree.

But I'm talking about the intense focus to save for a DP. Maybe we could start focusing on other things?

Almost everyone I know that bought a home drained a substantial amount of their savings for the DP.

Then there is business consideration. People generally want their homes to accrue in value. It's what fuels a lot NIMBYism, HOAs, and other behavior. So while a primary residence is not a traditional investment per se, homebuyers act like it is.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It just doesn't seem like a good investment in my area. The only homes worth owning are $300k+, so I'd have to take a sizeable chunk out of savings / investments, pay a bunch of taxes and insurance and interest annually, and maybe see a return in five or six years. Meanwhile I could let that $40k - $50k sit in retirement / investments and earn thousands a year, and have it as part of a rainy day fund at that. And in the meantime move whenever I want, and have someone else fix things when they break, all while spending less a month to merely have a roof over my head.

I really have no interest in buying a home unless something is done to return them to the sane, pre-bubble prices.

Oct 25, 2017
Whole country is supply constrained. And builders are building homes above the median. Not many folks are building starter homes. Yep, it is tough as the median climbs.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Who could possibly have known that when you saddle younger people with tons of student loans and shit wages that they won't be lighting the housing market on fire.

It's not the only factor, to be sure, but I'd say it's the largest.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
My wife and I just saw our dream house listed today and went and bought lotto tickets after work HA!

We already live in a great house but this new house would be amazing.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Some people are just going to realize that trying to live and buy a house in places like Seattle, San Francisco, LA, NYC, Boston, Denver, and Austin are just not doable. There's a bunch of great cities in the Midwest that need new people with low housing costs, there should be more migration there. Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis are cool, plus there's great cities like Omaha, The Twin Cities, Columbus, and Cincinnati.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I had to work/save for over a decade to buy a relatively small house below the median price in Los Angeles. When I tell that to my senior co-workers, they're shocked. They had to work a couple years at best.

Edit:
Just checked... The median home price in Los Angeles is now $615K USD!

Oct 28, 2017
I like how we say homebuying is becoming more difficult, but then when someone says it's actually booming in their market, we blame it on some imaginary evil, rich homebuyers.

Have you looked at the eye-watering amounts it takes to put down deposits? Also, as a young person, you have to deal with exorbitant interest rates because you're a risky sale. You likely don't have a strong credit history or any other assets to put up in bargaining against your mortgage. Its a fucked system if you aren't already situated and comfy. There's no "imaginary evil, rich homebuyer" here. Just rich people scooping up multiple homes while banks turn their noses up at first time buyers.

loveshuffle

Alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Have you looked at the eye-watering amounts it takes to put down deposits? Also, as a young person, you have to deal with exorbitant interest rates because you're a risky sale. You likely don't have a strong credit history or any other assets to put up in bargaining against your mortgage. Its a fucked system if you aren't already situated and comfy. There's no "imaginary evil, rich homebuyer" here. Just rich people scooping up multiple homes while banks turn their noses up at first time buyers.

I own two homes so I'm quite aware of the initial capital and process. My point was there is no way for anyone to confirm that the purchasers of homes are some rich evil villain unless you knock on every closed home's door and inquire. Or see a white cat sitting in the window. Banks don't their noses up at people with money. Why young people don't have money is quite a different subject.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I make what I consider to be a decent salary in a lower cost of living area and I still don't know how I'll ever be able to afford a house.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
But u don't need a down deposit though? There are other options to finance.

thegreyfox

Oct 25, 2017
I own two homes so I'm quite aware of the initial capital and process. My point was there is no way for anyone to confirm that the purchasers of homes are some rich evil villain unless you knock on every closed home's door and inquire. Or see a white cat sitting in the window. Banks don't their noses up at people with money. Why young people don't have money is quite a different subject.

There is a lot of investor money in this market right now.
Opportunity Zone funds are driving up prices in low income areas.
https://www.ncsha.org/resource/opportunity-zone-fund-directory/

Buy to rent are driving up prices in the middle.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/26/sud...ingle-family-housing-market-is-exploding.html

The high end of the market is the only place that is get hit hard because all the money is being driven into the low and middle.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/01/manhattan-real-estate-sales-fall-for-sixth-straight-quarter.html

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

I agree it's not always a villain. But nytimes covered the rise of investors strictly as well invesments.

And the bigger trend is those more monied young kids buying a house now two decades ago could have gotten twice the house for the cash they are spending now, forcing the less monied into staying in rentals or outright leaving.

Im just more intrigued at the way everything is going, the entire real estate market is due for another 2008 correction because as home ownership becomes the domain of the upper middle class, that group shrinks because of inflation/wage stagnation/college debt. A 800k two bedroom house in LA ain't worth 800k if there are no buyers for it the economy doesnt improve

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Even after the 2008 "correction" homes are still insanely overpriced. Combine that with student debt and anemic wage growth and there you go.

Apr 24, 2018
Depends where you live. In my city it's common for houses to go for 50k+ over list with all cash offers. If you don't have at least 20% there's little reason to even try.
God...that's so hard to compete with. Fortunately I live with a friend right now, but I'm already ruing the day I'll have to switch to apartment living - buying a house\condo for the next decade is almost entirely out of the question unless I can at least double my salary in the next few years.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Have you looked at the eye-watering amounts it takes to put down deposits? Also, as a young person, you have to deal with exorbitant interest rates because you're a risky sale.

When there was a thread about savings or debt etc, many mentioned they had a large savings amount they were using for a home deposit.

I'm guessing many got down payments by either saving up for it, or getting a large gift either at their wedding or from a relative.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
At the rate home prices are increasing in some markets a lot of people saving for that deposit can't even keep up. It feels like being a dog who just can't catch the car.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When there was a thread about savings or debt etc, many mentioned they had a large savings amount they were using for a home deposit.

I'm guessing many got down payments by either saving up for it, or getting a large gift either at their wedding or from a relative.

This is usually the case. I bought my first property at 24, but had saved up 56k from multiple army deployments. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably still be renting 12 years later

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I still plan on buying a home 🤷🏿‍♂️

Might buy a multifamily and rent out the other floors 👍🏿

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
One city that I have on my list, for some reason, is Lansing, Michigan. Seems quaint as hell.