• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think is better?

• Home Workout

Votes: 168 59.8%
  • Gym

Votes: 113 40.2%

• Total voters

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Get a cheap set of weights and see if you can do some reps every other day. If you don't got the motivation you could see if a membership at a nearby gym gets you the will to do so.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gym all the way. It also makes you get out of the house. And the amount of equipment you have available at the gym let's you change your workout routine from time to time.

But remember, the best workout is the one you can stick to, so pick what works best for you.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
I do not miss my gym. Have a Peloton Bike Plus, Bowflex selectable dumbbells and kettle, Gorilla Bow resistance now, and a new pair of Brooks running shoes. Everything I need, none of the crowds.

Rikalaus

Oct 30, 2017
Switched to working out at home last year. Had more motivation and concentration lifting at home compared to a commercial gym.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Home. You can get everything done cardio-wise outside. Inside? Get a set and it will pay itself off with progress

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Gyms are a scam. You can get in shape without equipment (or with minimal equipment) at home just as well.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I think both used together are the best solution for me. A gym has equipment that I can't get at hone (typically for legs) and it's a great motivator as you're there so you have to work out. A home gym is perfect for all sorts of situations and elements the excuse of not being bothered to drive to the gym.

My home set up is probably better than it needs to be right now, but for years I got away with a bench that has a large pull down fitting and something for leg curls. Then I just have a ton of free weights.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
For me the best type of physical activity Is the kind where I can have fun doing it. There's a traditional Vikings martial arts gym here in MN that I used to go to (moved for a bit, so we had to cancel our membership sadly). That was both fun and educational. Did some classic workout stuff like stump lifting, but also sword and shield fighting (though really it's mostly shield fighting).

I stuck with that for much longer than any traditional gym program, but to be honest I've done ring fit and/or p90x for longer at home. Saving time actually going somewhere helps immensely for me.

MrToughPants

Oct 30, 2017
If you need to get out of the house for the motivation and want large variety of machines - gym

If you are short on time, want quick accessibility - home gym

ftchrs

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Home gym.

I got a pretty nice setup for about 3000 dollars (a single pulley, power rack, adjustable bench, barbell, 4 pairs of 45 lb plates and a pair of 10s and 25s, and a dumbbell rack with pairs ranging from 8s to 110s). Compared with having a gym membership, I should start saving money in about 7 years.

I didn't have space in my flat for the equipment and a double bed, so nowadays I sleep inside the power rack when my girl friend is over (she gets the single bed lol). My neighbours complain about the noise but I just ignore them—and it beats having to interact with people at a commercial gym.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a homegym. Sure I don't work out as hard as I did at the gym, but the main difference is that I can work out now five days a week, saving a lot of time not going to the gym.

I do cardio and weight lifting for about 45 minutes a day now. It's great since I don't have to wait for machines and areas to be available, shower at the gym and shit.

Muji

Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I used to weight lift for a lot of years and my motivation dropped to the point where I didnt't work out for several years. It was just boring - doing the same muscle split workout for years on end. What brought me back was actually team based workouts - you're mentioning some of that too. See if any of the gym around you has any team exercises like for example boxing or cardio or anything to that effect.

I started back in september and been going strong since then which is a real success for me because I never thought I would find the spark to motivate me again. Now I've begun brazilian jiu jitsu which is also a really great workout and it's a non-strike martial arts so you shouldn't be worried about being hit in your face (sparring is still too intimidating for me). Maybe try seeing if training martial arts also could be something for you? You're learning a skill and also getting a real good workout that way and it's team based too!

CSSer

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not interested in gyms due to covid and having to wait for equipment.

I'm trying to build a home gym in my apartment/condo. I bought a bed on kickstarter that turns into a gym. It's been a 1+ year wait so far and hasn't arrived yet though lol.

I've been thinking of deadlift silencer pads and whether that would work when I'm on a high floor

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It depends on what works for you to be honest.

For me, tried home workout many times. It worked for a bit, but it started to feel as a burden, arriving home tired from work, looking at all the rest of stuff you have or can do, looking at how much you could rest too.. it's harder to overcome those. I've been goign to the gym for almost 5 months now, it's still hard going after work, but not placing a foot at home before going makes it much much easier. It's part of the routine and once I finally get home, I have nothing else to do but what I have or want to do.

I hope I can keep it up for longer, it's working this way.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I was privileged enough to have a home gym, I'd prefer that. I don't need the push of actually being in a gym to be motivated to workout, so it'd be making it so much easier for me. Especially right now, when my job is so busy that it can be rough to find time, even with me working from home most of the time.

Dec 19, 2021
If you have the space home gym. Having a power rack at home is fantastic and I love never having to wait at the gym. Gym is 20 minutes away, I work out 4 days a week so working out at home also saves me 138 hours a year in back and forth.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Gyms are a scam. You can get in shape without equipment (or with minimal equipment) at home just as well.
Depends on the gym, cost and whether you can get on the equipment to do your workout each session, but generally they're not a scam. I prefer lifting weights over body exercises, and there's no way I would be able to store the equipment I use, at home.

Not only that, being around other like minded people can spur you on. Gaining tips from other members, and the sense of community, is something that is not available at home on your own. I don't have the motivation at home, walking through the doors automatically puts you in a mind set to do some work for a set period of time, rather than being interrupted by home distractions.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Get a cheap set of weights and see if you can do some reps every other day. If you don't got the motivation you could see if a membership at a nearby gym gets you the will to do so.

What's a good starting weight for a beginner? I'm a guy if that makes a difference.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Dumbbells, bench, mat, own body weight, a couple square meters of space, good nutrition plan with adequate protein, get enough sleep… that's basically everything.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I need the gym. It's one of the only places that will help me mentally when I've had a rough day. It treat it the same as taking a shower everyday.

I worked out a lot at home during the pandemic but it just didn't feel the same. Maybe because I'm in an 800sqft condo.

What's a good starting weight for a beginner? I'm a guy if that makes a difference.
I would suggest either getting a set of 15-20lb dumbbells. You could also get a set of 10lb and try to learn the correct form if you feel 20lb are too heavy.

My gf bought a set of 10lb dumbbells and they work perfectly for her (She's also a beginner).

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
1000% gym, as close to work as possible. By the time your brain starts asking you if you really want to you're already squatting. Forget dumbells, the holy trinity is squat, bench, deadlift and press (yes that's four exercises in the trinity). Everything else is assistance work.