• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's pretty wild but at the same time don't drive a car next to a rhino.

"Let me go tempt fate with this gigantic beast known for aggression. Oh heck he rolled my truck over. Who would have thought?".

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I remember someone posted not too long ago a elephant that escaped from a zoo in southeast asia, killing some people before it finally died from its gunshot wounds?

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I like how, upon seeing one of their vehicles get utterly destroyed, they decided to approach the rhino in another one of those same vehicles

Granted it worked, but still xD

These guys are probably park rangers or something similar, judging by the livery of the cars, but wild animals can be very unpredictable even for experts. Or maybe it's the livery of some car rental company for safaris but what the second car did is not what a random tourist would do in that situation. Tourists would run away or (more likely) film everything.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
In South Africa this past January, I was driving my rental car in one of the parks and two rhinos came up along either side of us on a dirt road. You literally could reach out the driver window and touch one, and the passenger window and touch the other (we didn't.... but we could have).

It was both awe inspiring and terrifying as there was no way out and I didn't want to startle them. They have really poor vision, so a loud noise like an engine starting can spook them.

They were chill, though I wasn't chasing them.

On the elephant side - maybe our best sighting of the whole trip was like 15 minutes into our first day in Kruger, self driving and a few elephants stumbled into a pack of sleeping/resting wild dogs. Elephants running between cars and trumpeting, dogs coming out of all the bushes barking. It was chaos.

I did have one momma elephant start to get agitated as she decided to turn and cross the road where I was parking and watching her and her calf. Nothing too scary but I got my ass out of her way.

Self driving safaris are wild. Though the off road ones (dead giraffe with lions around it, Hyenas stalking a leopard den to try and eat a cub, rhinos sparring) can show you some really crazy stuff.

Anyways, go to Africa, it's great.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Rhinos are wonderful and it makes me feel like absolute shit that people will slaughter them for a horn because they think it'll get them a hard on.

Also on topic but that car is such a flimsy POS, it knew what it was doing fucking around with the rhino lol.
You said exactly what's on my mind .
They are such magnificent animals which are being hunted to extinction because some pricks still believe in ancient obsolete medical beliefs despite all the technology they possess. Doesn't help that most African governments are corrupt as fuck and won't do anything to stop illegal poaching.
Lion farms in South Africa is a another disgusting example of the animal abuse happening in Africa , fucking pricks ( mostly white ) paying thousands of dollars just so they can hunt lions in enclosed spaces , lions who got used to human since they were young because of the cub petting business. Those fucks should go in the real jungle and track animals for days if they really believe they are brave.

Last edited: